ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Trimmed IIPR, down overall but up 30% off an add from a year ago. Position was too big for what it is.

Sold NJR. Short term small loss.

Sold RIG. Longer term, fairly substantial loss.

Bought TSLA, looks like bottoming process is complete.

Bought AMZN, break out past that double top looks complete.

Added to recent purchase PANW.

Almost all of that was yesterday. Granted following up with another down day today. But it's up 30ish% ytd, and I think it cleared a significant hurdle at around $40. And another at around $45, which may provide some support. Still above the trend line off it's Nov lows as well.

In the midst of a $16b buy back. It's only a $53b market cap.
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, next month, quarter or year. I can't tell you what I'll have dinner tomorrow night. My screener said sell and I sold. I also have another screener that tells me the top Dow, S&P and Nasdaq stocks that are in an upward trend. Those are the ones I buy until they have a downturn. All have 5% trailing stop loss set and I'll take profits above a certain % gain.

Reactions: T2Kplus20 and RU-05
I have no idea what will happen tomorrow, next month, quarter or year. I can't tell you what I'll have dinner tomorrow night. My screener said sell and I sold. I also have another screener that tells me the top Dow, S&P and Nasdaq stocks that are in an upward trend. Those are the ones I buy until they have a downturn. All have 5% trailing stop loss set and I'll take profits above a certain % gain.
This was talked about here recently, but 5% sounds like a very tight spread for a stop loss. Is that automatically reset? Are those based off recent highs?

I’m not saying stop loss is a bad strategy but just a reminder that in a market crash, your order isn’t guaranteed to be executed at your specified percent/price. It becomes a market order to sell at market price. It’s not guaranteed to get you out at x% loss. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong; I don’t use stop loss.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
I’m not saying stop loss is a bad strategy but just a reminder that in a market crash, your order isn’t guaranteed to be executed at your specified percent/price. It becomes a market order to sell at market price. It’s not guaranteed to get you out at x% loss. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong; I don’t use stop loss.
You are definitely not guaranteed that price, but most of the time it is pretty close.

You are definitely not guaranteed that price, but most of the time it is pretty close.
I agree with your “most of the time,” but as someone who isn’t a trader, I don’t pay much attention to short term swings and I’m not convinced that stop loss would have helped me in ‘87, dot.com, 2008-9, etc.

I agree with your “most of the time,” but as someone who isn’t a trader, I don’t pay much attention to short term swings and I’m not convinced that stop loss would have helped me in ‘87, dot.com, 2008-9, etc.
I use stop losses in my personal account for the stocks. Mostly a way to get me to stop and think about the position, instead of a specific trading tool. No idea how they would perform during a legit crash.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Did you have the same reaction several years ago when people were saying it will go above $50k? You can admit the true.
I did. But didn’t factor in Musk pumping it along with a bunch of billionaires manipulating it.

Crypto should pay Mush $50 billion to get it where it is.

The best thing to do is not panic sell and buy the crash. I did this in 2008/2009 and 2020 and it set us on a path for wealth beyond our past expectations.
That is a contradictory statement. You can't buy the crash unless you have cash. How do you have cash if you are 100% invested? Maybe winning the lottery?

• Haha
Reactions: jtung230
That is a contradictory statement. You can't buy the crash unless you have cash. How do you have cash if you are 100% invested? Maybe winning the lottery?
Where in that statement did I say we didn't have cash? Moreover, 2 working household with plenty of extra cash each paycheck and bonus. New cash is always flowing.

Reactions: Captain Hogleg
Musk and billionaires manipulating it? Sounds just like the stock market
I also enjoyed all the paid post (aka ads) on crypto on CNBC. The only reason crypto will go up if all the influencers can convince people FOMO. Buy a little to get exposure and help all the billionaires make a boatload of money. The best was all the celebrities that were paid to pump this.

I also enjoyed all the paid post (aka ads) on crypto on CNBC. The only reason crypto will go up if all the influencers can convince people FOMO. Buy a little to get exposure and help all the billionaires make a boatload of money. The best was all the celebrities that were paid to pump this.
Sounds like gold and all the gold bugs pumping that commodity.

This was a very well talked about possibility as the btc etf was approved. Regulatory clarity increases investors comfort, which increases popularity, which increases price. Pretty simple actually. When it lines up with a rather well established halving cycle, you have a recipe for these ridiculous increases. You also have a recipe for the likes of Iggy Azela, Kaitlyn Jenner, Jason Derulo to be pumping shitcoins.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Just read an article about someone threatening to kill the master of coin unless he steps down from his position at Tesla and send 300k to BTC account.

You can always place a stop loss/limit. So, stop loss at $50 with a limit of $45. This way is something gap opens to the down side (say $30) and is below where you would want to sell, you have protection from not having a market order and selling at $30.

You can always place a stop loss/limit. So, stop loss at $50 with a limit of $45. This way is something gap opens to the down side (say $30) and is below where you would want to sell, you have protection from not having a market order and selling at $30.
Very good point. Thanks for pointing this out.

Added some FSPGX and VOO to my Roth recently. Fidelity has so many different funds it was tuff to choose one.

Micro-cap biotech is so much fun:
INMB up 20%, no significant news
CLRB down 20%, absolutely no news
Not sure why I do this to myself! 😁

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT