ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Added some FSPGX and VOO to my Roth recently. Fidelity has so many different funds it was tuff to choose one.
FSPGX is a Russell 1000 Growth index fund (which is the gold standard index of this type). Can't go wrong with this one!

My 2 biggest growth funds are:
FDGRX (Fidelity Growth Company) - best in the business, but closed to new investors
FBGRX (Fidelity Blue Chip Growth) - also outstanding, I use it in accounts where I don't have access to Growth Company

Maybe you should add a little extra juice to your Roth account? :)

Reactions: Postman_1
FSPGX is a Russell 1000 Growth index fund (which is the gold standard index of this type). Can't go wrong with this one!

My 2 biggest growth funds are:
FDGRX (Fidelity Growth Company) - best in the business, but closed to new investors
FBGRX (Fidelity Blue Chip Growth) - also outstanding, I use it in accounts where I don't have access to Growth Company

Maybe you should add a little extra juice to your Roth account? :)
I am sure fidelity has parallel ETF versions of those mutual funds that can be purchased and auto invested.

Last edited:
Trimmed IIPR, down overall but up 30% off an add from a year ago. Position was too big for what it is.

Sold NJR. Short term small loss.

Sold RIG. Longer term, fairly substantial loss.

Bought TSLA, looks like bottoming process is complete.

Bought AMZN, break out past that double top looks complete.

Added to recent purchase PANW.
Great call on AMZN. How high do you think it goes?

I am sure fidelity has parallel ETF versions of those mutual funds that can be purchased and auto invested.
FBCG is the ETF version of FBGRX. Not 100% the same, but close enough to have nearly identical returns. As for FDGRX, no ETF for this one, probably since the fund is closed to new investors.

Where in that statement did I say we didn't have cash? Moreover, 2 working household with plenty of extra cash each paycheck and bonus. New cash is always flowing.
The only way the math works out is if the biweekly paychecks are massive… good for you. It isn’t easy to have a job that allows you the flexibility to be on the Rutgers football forum as much as you are and still make huge amounts of money.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
The only way the math works out is if the biweekly paychecks are massive… good for you. It isn’t easy to have a job that allows you the flexibility to be on the Rutgers football forum as much as you are and still make huge amounts of money.
Multi-tasking is an art form. Been wired like this all my life.
And don't forget quarterly equity vests and bonuses, not just large paychecks.

FBCG is the ETF version of FBGRX. Not 100% the same, but close enough to have nearly identical returns. As for FDGRX, no ETF for this one, probably since the fund is closed to new investors.
Cursory evaluation suggests that FBCG and FBGRX have similar returns. I haven’t done a deep dive into holdings. FDGRX trails the other 2 in returns and has a higher expense ratio.

Cursory evaluation suggests that FBCG and FBGRX have similar returns. I haven’t done a deep dive into holdings. FDGRX trails the other 2 in returns and has a higher expense ratio.
FBGRX has slightly better returns over 1 and 3 years. FDGRX has the better 5 and 10 year returns. Overally, FDGRX is slightly less volatile and is run by Steve Wymer, who is definitely Fidelity's best fund manager and quasi lead of all actively managed growth funds. The manager for FBGRX is one of Wymer's former analysts. They work together and align on many things.

Wymer is a 2-time Morningstar fund manager of the year and along with David Giroux from T Rowe, definitely the best in the business.

Love both funds!

FBGRX has slightly better returns over 1 and 3 years. FDGRX has the better 5 and 10 year returns. Overally, FDGRX is slightly less volatile and is run by Steve Wymer, who is definitely Fidelity's best fund manager and quasi lead of all actively managed growth funds. The manager for FBGRX is one of Wymer's former analysts. They work together and align on many things.

Wymer is a 2-time Morningstar fund manager of the year and along with David Giroux from T Rowe, definitely the best in the business.

Love both funds!

Been in TRP Capital Appreciation Fund for 25 years. New Horizons did even better until the last 2 1/2 but had problems recently.

Been in TRP Capital Appreciation Fund for 25 years. New Horizons did even better until the last 2 1/2 but had problems recently.
That's amazing. Giroux took over PRWCX in 2006, so 18 years and counting. I got into Capital Appreciation several years ago when I converted my old TRP 401K to a rollover IRA. I'm in their I-shares class, which comes with a nice fee discount. Speaking of New Horizons, I rode that one from late 2005 to early 2022 when I saw the manager change was going to be bumpy.

I have scaled down my exposure to actively managed funds quite a bit. Not many fund managers (or teams) I trust to beat their indexes.

Great call on AMZN. How high do you think it goes?
To the moon, at the very least.

But seriously, not a huge run in the short term as its not a cheap stock, but $240 sounds fairly reasonable, beyond that it will need to earn it via execution.

I don’t think the market wants it to be the biggest market cap in the world though. Not without a serious ramp up in revs/eps or major progress in AI. So there will probably be resistance in the high $200’s.

Someone on cnbc noted they could up the buy back like many of the mega caps have and the market has rewarded those companies.

Wow 20%. Below $80.

Traders last night, when it was doen around $84 said wait, you’ll be able to get it lower……
Low 80s is support from the 2022 lows but we'll see if it holds. If not, 60s low 70s not out of the question. Apparel isn't the best category but there have been some better performers so they have work to do. I think they can but it may take some time.

Outstanding PCE report:

The Commerce Department's data showed personal consumption expenditures (PCE) price index - the Fed's preferred inflation gauge - was unchanged on a monthly basis in May and rose 2.6% annually, all along expectations.

Excluding the volatile food and energy components, the core figure increased 0.1% month-on-month and 2.6% annually.

Chances of a rate cut in September inched up to 68% from 61% before the data, as per LSEG FedWatch data.

"This is a perfect report - it gives the Fed the green light to cut in September, and sets the stage for the dovish rhetoric to continue, which we will hopefully hear in the July meeting. It shows the Fed measures are working and keeps a soft landing still on table," said Jay Woods, chief global strategist at Freedom Capital Markets.

Nice day today, sold some of my UNH and CRM today, still have a lot quantity and brought back some META after $5 drop after selling it the last few days. So many stocks at their high AMZN, APPL, MSFT, GOOG and all the indexes wondering if I should sell some. I think they go up for a week or two before earnings start to come out,

Last edited:
Low 80s is support from the 2022 lows but we'll see if it holds. If not, 60s low 70s not out of the question. Apparel isn't the best category but there have been some better performers so they have work to do. I think they can but it may take some time.
Stephanie Link gave a lukewarm at best keep a watch on NKE (not at current levels though) but wasn't happy with the management team and not being able to beat the very low expectations. I like her and she was in GE ans META just like I was and also in MMM which I have mentioned....strategic bottom fisher.

Another trader who I don't think much of had LULU and ONON.

I like NKE and think they can turn around but it will take some time. I don't expect a quick fix. I'd like to see a drop into the low 60s. They have continuous promotional opportunities like the Olympics, WC in the US in a couple years, Caitlin Clark etc..so I think opportunity is there but it depends on management and execution. Don't know if they're capable or not.

Stephanie Link gave a lukewarm at best keep a watch on NKE (not at current levels though) but wasn't happy with the management team and not being able to beat the very low expectations. I like her and she was in GE ans META just like I was and also in MMM which I have mentioned....strategic bottom fisher.

Another trader who I don't think much of had LULU and ONON.

I like NKE and think they can turn around but it will take some time. I don't expect a quick fix. I'd like to see a drop into the low 60s. They have continuous promotional opportunities like the Olympics, WC in the US in a couple years, Caitlin Clark etc..so I think opportunity is there but it depends on management and execution. Don't know if they're capable or not.
I was going to buy NKE but bottom fishing stocks other than Tech is dangerous. I see my CRM has turn around but also waiting on IBM, UPS, and JNJ.

I was going to buy NKE but bottom fishing stocks other than Tech is dangerous. I see my CRM has turn around but also waiting on IBM, UPS, and JNJ.
CRM and the cybersecurity stocks that dipped last month were screaming buys. Those that did have been rewarded.

Sadly, I almost bought calls yesterday, but decided to tweak some of my biotech holdings instead (and then the market closed). Oh well! :)

What are your thoughts on starting a new position? Wait for a pullback?
We are getting our pullback in RIVN. I already have enough so won’t be buying. A move down to $11.5-12 seems like the path to least resistance.

To the moon, at the very least.

But seriously, not a huge run in the short term as its not a cheap stock, but $240 sounds fairly reasonable, beyond that it will need to earn it via execution.

I don’t think the market wants it to be the biggest market cap in the world though. Not without a serious ramp up in revs/eps or major progress in AI. So there will probably be resistance in the high $200’s.

Someone on cnbc noted they could up the buy back like many of the mega caps have and the market has rewarded those companies.
I think $240-250 seems reasonable.

Reactions: RU-05
We are getting our pullback in RIVN. I already have enough so won’t be buying. A move down to $11.5-12 seems like the path to least resistance.
Sounds like a plan, thanks! Will definitely pull the trigger on leap calls if it gets back to this range.

I noted it was pushing $200 earlier but was knocked back, wonder if that round number is a sell point for some holders.
If there are sellers, I bet there will be more buyers. AMZN has a lot of momentum now.....sentiment and technicals.

Most bullish price target for MSFT is now $600. Growth has been amazingly steady. It is true stonk in the stonkiest way possible all in the face of a strengthening dollar and an elevated FedFunds rate.
Recently broke through $450 and has settled just below that level as holiday week approaches.
Try as I might I can’t find much bad news out there on the stonk other than the usual anti-trust bickering which usually amounts to not much of anything.
I’m guessing any AI-related sobering is years away when, during the next cycle, the Fed will be forced to start raising rates again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT