ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Stock and Investment Talk

Penn National Gaming is taking off. I bought at 28 back in March and sold last week at 61, its still climbing at 72 today. Barstool...
We talked about it above but I think that whole segment has a ton of room to run.

And Barstool certainly makes Penn a strong player in that group.

I own DKNG sold some recently on a big jump day. Not a good trade as it also continues to climb.

Reactions: biker7766
I'm lucky a few of my stocks have been strong, I missed a job interview this morning after staying up too late last night with a few of my friends from PA, Yuenglings. I wasn't really that interested in this job anyway since it was based in Ridgefield, far.

Reactions: biker7766
Ya one concern I have for DKNG is the competition, you have the Penn/Barstool collaboration, you have the Ceasers/William Hill Collaboration, you have Fan Duel you have MGM getting into the online gaming. So who know who proves to be top dog?

Now DKNG being established and it's collaboration with ESPN might prove to be best in class, so BETZ might not have quite that upside, but I think it takes a clear winner, ie online gaming/betting, without the concern of competition. That is a solid play. I might buy in on that as well.

Draft Kings is 6% of BETZ' holdings and Penn Gaming 5.5%.

Reactions: biker7766 and RU-05
So the recent IPO's are taking money from some of the recent tech runners.

Tech stealing from tech(as they just said on CNBC).

Is that a bad thing? The IPO's are likely overvalued but they are bringing the established tech values down to a more reasonable level.

SNOW down to 214, roughly down 33% for those who bought yesterday at 319. 33% in a day. Caveat emptor.

SNOW down to 214, roughly down 33% for those who bought yesterday at 319. 33% in a day. Caveat emptor.
Back to 226. It's crazy volatile for sure, and the consensus is still way over valued.

But the question is what is a good price? Would you buy if it got down to $160? I think I would. Given the IPO price, I think even a 33% increase off that is pretty reasonable. And the current price is indicating the market is willing to over pay so even if it were to dip to $160ish I think it would be short lived.

See the recent move of Tesla. Could have been had for $330 a couple weeks ago. Still way overvalued by nearly all metrics, yet if you bought at that level you'd be up 25% right now.

Back to 226. It's crazy volatile for sure, and the consensus is still way over valued.

But the question is what is a good price? Would you buy if it got down to $160? I think I would. Given the IPO price, I think even a 33% increase off that is pretty reasonable. And the current price is indicating the market is willing to over pay so even if it were to dip to $160ish I think it would be short lived.

See the recent move of Tesla. Could have been had for $330 a couple weeks ago. Still way overvalued by nearly all metrics, yet if you bought at that level you'd be up 25% right now.

Sold Tesla short at the end of August just before the split and covered a week later for a 10% pop. If I had covered a day later I would have gotten close to 20%. I almost never short but that was compelling. I wouldn't touch SNOW for more than the revised upward IPO price of $120 and I wouldn't buy Tesla now.

Sold Tesla short at the end of August just before the split and covered a week later for a 10% pop. If I had covered a day later I would have gotten close to 20%. I almost never short but that was compelling. I wouldn't touch SNOW for more than the revised upward IPO price of $120 and I wouldn't buy Tesla now.
I think if Snow hit's $120, the whole market is in the crapper.

I've also been trading for 6 months so........

Why? Individual stocks tank all the time. This is very close to a CL post.
Too much interest in this one for it to dip that low, unless the entire market is in free fall. IMO at least.

The CL aspect is a level of stupidity to which I'd rather not delve.

I was talking about Intel and you somehow jumped on the oppurtunity to talk about blue state governors and the future of utilities in those states.

But sure, realistic.
So you are sanguine on future utility pricing and futures in those States vs 'red' States ?

I note one of your posts; "I've been trading for 6 months so....."
Is this your entire trading history or just recently ? Just asking for a friend, everyone has to start sometime.

So you are sanguine on future utility pricing and futures in those States vs 'red' States ?

I note one of your posts; "I've been trading for 6 months so....."
Is this your entire trading history or just recently ? Just asking for a friend, everyone has to start sometime.

My point was that I was talking about a tech stock and you took the opportunity to talk utilities and the politics of it. I was making no statement at all about utilities.

And yes I got in just after the bounce, my first serious foray into stock investments.

Does investing in IPOS make any sense for those wanting a piece of ANT? Or just go with BABA?

Does investing in IPOS make any sense for those wanting a piece of ANT? Or just go with BABA?

Reactions: toby83
My point was that I was talking about a tech stock and you took the opportunity to talk utilities and the politics of it. I was making no statement at all about utilities.

And yes I got in just after the bounce, my first serious foray into stock investments.

Post here are about a wide range of events, both in and out of investments.
Pizza, Scotch, Sand Dunes, Lawn Care.

Be prepared for your post to be ignored, praised, or ridiculed.

Ignoring politics in stocks is ignoring basic reasons for them to go up or down.
Like Utilities in States that have politicians that don't understand the power industry. Like putting all their apples on solar energy generation and not maintaining the power plants, power transmission lines and power transmission lanes that act as fire breaks when brush is removed on a scheduled plan. California is the most populous State in the USA and is now calling for residents to unplug appliances, set their thermostats to 78 degrees in the summer heat. Meanwhile the solar cells are not able to produce their rated power because of the smog/dirt/smoke in the air. Which means that electric users must rely more on the electric power that the grid produces or moves from another grid.

My over 25 years as a Registered Representative Series 7 and General Securities Principal Series 24 speaks out.

Ignoring politics in stocks is ignoring basic reasons for them to go up or down.
Like Utilities in States that have politicians that don't understand the power industry. Like putting all their apples on solar energy generation and not maintaining the power plants, power transmission lines and power transmission lanes that act as fire breaks when brush is removed on a scheduled plan. California is the most populous State in the USA and is now calling for residents to unplug appliances, set their thermostats to 78 degrees in the summer heat. Meanwhile the solar cells are not able to produce their rated power because of the smog/dirt/smoke in the air. Which means that electric users must rely more on the electric power that the grid produces or moves from another grid.

My over 25 years as a Registered Representative Series 7 and General Securities Principal Series 24 speaks out.

You can't ignore politics with respect to utilities, but you can ignore 3 weeks worth of smoke that lowers the power production from solar generation that has already or will be mandated in that state. Not even considering the possibility of a federal mandate.

Pfizer seems to be everyone’s best guess for a Covid vaccine. Them and Regeneron might be good buys now, any thoughts?

You can't ignore politics with respect to utilities, but you can ignore 3 weeks worth of smoke that lowers the power production from solar generation that has already or will be mandated in that state. Not even considering the possibility of a federal mandate.
I could have sworn I said the same thing.

As far as Federal anything , the tax credits have to be extended and left at the higher rate to give people more incentive to add solar to their power needs. 26 dropping to 22 is going the wrong way to keep people interested and make more residential homes go off grid, or as much as their power needs allow them to....

I am still interested in hearing from people that have switched to either Tesla vehicles or solar, for their insight.

Nothing in any of these replies has anything to do with the subject of the original post. That being the value of Intel, which just appears incredibly cheap.

Reactions: rutgersdave
Pfizer seems to be everyone’s best guess for a Covid vaccine. Them and Regeneron might be good buys now, any thoughts?
From what we've seen thus far the big pharma companies will not make big moves on covid news. Might have long term positive impact on the stock price, but from I've been reading it won't be a big money maker, the benefit will mostly be in the form of good will.

I think if you are looking for a short term vaccine play cruise lines and airlines are the prime areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: patk89 and RU23
From what we've seen thus far the big pharma companies will not make big moves on covid news. Might have long term positive impact on the stock price, but from I've been reading it won't be a big money maker, the benefit will mostly be in the form of good will.
If Pfizer announces a successful vaccine their stock will definitely go up. If it fails, it will definitely go down. Not to the extent of a small biotech, but there will be plenty of movement.

If Pfizer announces a successful vaccine their stock will definitely go up. If it fails, it will definitely go down. Not to the extent of a small biotech, but there will be plenty of movement.
Sure it will go up, but I don't think it will be a large move. At least not like the moves we see when Moderna releases news, or the effect a successful vaccine will have on the cruise lines.

I think if you are going to play Pfizer it's because you like the company as a long termer, not because you are looking for a quick vaccine trade.

Last edited:
Now since we want to talk energy stocks, the one investment I've had over the years that actually did well for me was New Jersey Natural resources. My mother got me into it years ago and I sold a big chunk of it when buying my house. A really strong performing stock historically that has fallen off the covid cliff. Traded just above $20 in 2013, and went as high as $50 in 2019. Currently at $27. P/E of $17. P/S of 1.28. P/B of $1.41, EPS of 1.8. 4.9% dividend. YOY quarterly revenues were up.

As a red state play, my Aunt pointed out IDA(Idaho power). Like NJR strong consistent historical growth. Traded around $50 in 2013, traded as high as $110 in 2019, currently at $81. P/E of $17.51, P/S 3.18, P/B of 1.64, EPS 4.64. 3.3% dividend. yoy quarterly rev up a hair.

Both companies are into renewables as well as fossil fuels.

Reactions: redking
If you have Wells Fargo you might want to dump it, this is one of the dumbest and racists comments I have ever heard from a major CEO:

Wells Fargo & Co Chief Executive Charles Scharf exasperated some Black employees in a Zoom meeting this summer when he reiterated that the bank had trouble reaching diversity goals because there was not enough qualified minority talent, two participants told Reuters.

He also made the assertion in a company-wide memo June 18 that announced diversity initiatives as nationwide protests broke out following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed African-American man, in police custody.

"While it might sound like an excuse, the unfortunate reality is that there is a very limited pool of black talent to recruit from," Scharf said in the memo, seen by Reuters.

If you have Wells Fargo you might want to dump it, this is one of the dumbest and racists comments I have ever heard from a major CEO:

Wells Fargo & Co Chief Executive Charles Scharf exasperated some Black employees in a Zoom meeting this summer when he reiterated that the bank had trouble reaching diversity goals because there was not enough qualified minority talent, two participants told Reuters.

He also made the assertion in a company-wide memo June 18 that announced diversity initiatives as nationwide protests broke out following the death of George Floyd, an unarmed African-American man, in police custody.

"While it might sound like an excuse, the unfortunate reality is that there is a very limited pool of black talent to recruit from," Scharf said in the memo, seen by Reuters.
Minimal effect thus far.

Aside from that, all I'll say on the topic here is, if we want to talk about it I think we should start a new thread for it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT