ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Syracuse

The significance of Syracuse, or Illinois, being ranked has nothing to do with who would beat who this year. We beat Syracuse last year. It's that you don't need OSU-level facilities and a war chest of $10 million in NIL money to be competitive and get ranked 15 to 25. I doubt either of those teams is loaded with talent compared to us.
You do when you play in the East division. Either you are ranked in the top 15 or not at all. You have to run a gauntlet every year against teams with OSU level facilities and NIL.

You do when you play in the East division. Either you are ranked in the top 15 or not at all. You have to run a gauntlet every year against teams with OSU level facilities and NIL.
If our team had gone 5-1 so far, convincingly, which wouldn't have taken a roster full of 4 and 5 star players, we could definitely be ranked 20 to 25 right now, though maybe not by the end of the season. Iowa and Nebraska were beatable, and BC and Temple could've been easy 3 or 4 TD victories with talent in our range.

We're currently ranked around 80 because our team is bad, not because the schedule has been so hard.

I'm not sure teams like Syracuse will ever have much NIL money with which to buy great players. Does Syracuse have tons of well-heeled boosters ready to write 6 and 7 figure checks for salaries? I suspect NIL will be largely the domain of the rich and famous, who already get the best recruits. It might not change much in the pecking order except to make it even more expensive for the bluebloods to fight over trophies.
No. But can they hold the 5-10 players who would absolutely kill the team if they left.

NIL will kill programs that develop 2 & 3 stars via the transfer portal.

No. But can they hold the 5-10 players who would absolutely kill the team if they left.

That's the worry and the doom and gloom I see here but how often does it actually happen. Heck Tenn actually lost a bunch of players after the Pruitt controversy (lost like 20 players and 11 starters IIRC) and they're beating Alabama 2 years later and are undefeated.

There's a balance between NIL and playing time/opportunity/utility. Plus I don't see all these programs of mid tier or lower tier P5 status doling out tons of dollars and gathering a bunch of top players from other teams. The top are competing with the top mostly. If anything I see talent widening at the top and on down. Alabama even looks vulnerable at times, almost losing to Texas and A&M and actually losing to Tenn.

Cuse's qb is a transfer from Miss St and doing a solid job for them. Levis from UK is from PSU and has done a nice job for them in his time there. Rising from Utah came from Texas and is doing a solid job for them during his time there. Charlie Jones has become a big WR target for Purdue...of all places where do they get him? That high powered Iowa offense lol.

So for every Jordan Addison who might transfer from a mid tier team, I see at least as many if not more going the other direction and impacting mid tier and lower tier teams positively. You're going to lose players and you're going to get players, it's up to the coaches to figure out and piece it together and make it go. Playoff expansion will offer more opportunity for lower status teams to raise their profiles too.

I see a lot of doom and gloom here but I just see more potential opportunity to be grasped.

Last edited:

There are only so many places on the roster for the Blue Bloods to fill. I don't see a team like Rutgers having many players Ohio State or Michigan will want to poach and there are only so many places they will need to fill since most of the talent they already get is great. I think NIL will kill college football but not because it will kill off the have nots. The have nots are already boxed out. They just stupidly keep playing along with a system that's ridiculously tilted against them in the hopes they'll somehow be the one program to overcome it.

I have to say this year they're pretty good. They have a QB and a hot defense. Next year after the QB is gone, Babers will be right back on the hot seat. Where will our hysterically stupid fans (RUSam, RUChip et al) be when we're on track for a bowl game.
2016Syracuse4–82–6T–6th (Atlantic)
2017Syracuse4–82–67th (Atlantic)
2018Syracuse10–36–22nd (Atlantic)W Camping World1515
2019Syracuse5–72–66th (Atlantic)
2020Syracuse1–101–9T–14th
2021Syracuse5–72–6T–6th (Atlantic)
2022Syracuse6–03–0
Syracuse:35–4317–35

I have to say this year they're pretty good. They have a QB and a hot defense. Next year after the QB is gone, Babers will be right back on the hot seat. Where will our hysterically stupid fans (RUSam, RUChip et al) be when we're on track for a bowl game.
Our QB is going somewhere? That would be news to everyone up there, including him.

Cuse didn’t change overnight. Same players but a different QB from the transfer portal. Tennessee didn’t change overnight only a different QB. Kentucky newQB from transfer portal. If we don’t have the right QB we need to get one.

WOW. They’re 6-0 after beating NC State today. Hopefully we come out of the rebuild in a couple years and have similar results!
I can care less about that team except when we play them. Think we beat them the last few times we played them. Otherwise don’t care .

Syracuse should have lost two earlier games, but the benefit of home cooking ref calls

they then beat NC state who lost their qb right before their game

they do deserve some credit but there was some luck involved
I have to answer this. The benefit of "Home cooking ref calls"? I assume you mean the game against Purdue? Those refs were in fact, Big Ten officials. No split crew. Syracuse is doing what they need to do to win. NC State was playing without Leary, true but if you want to play that card, we are down about 5 starters also. So, if we had lost, we could have said the same thing. Bottom line, these are all Division one players. Nobody has a choice from week to week. You play with the hand you are delt. Nothing more, nothing less.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
There are only so many places on the roster for the Blue Bloods to fill. I don't see a team like Rutgers having many players Ohio State or Michigan will want to poach and there are only so many places they will need to fill since most of the talent they already get is great. I think NIL will kill college football but not because it will kill off the have nots. The have nots are already boxed out. They just stupidly keep playing along with a system that's ridiculously tilted against them in the hopes they'll somehow be the one program to overcome it.
There will never be full parity in CFB, that’s just the way it is. I accept that.

Given that though, I see expanded opportunities more than ever before and that’s a positive imo.

GS has been here for 2.5 seasons… He has TWO recruting classes of his own on campus and a third in HS.

If Ash actually recruited properly we would have 2-3 junior/senior classes as MAJOR contributors. We don’t… GS had to backfill those terrible Ash classes, as best he could (still is) with transfers and his younger players to make us somewhat serviceable at this point.

When GS’s first class are fifth year seniors we can officially close the book on the $hitshow Ash left. Those are the facts…

All Ash’s players might not be hear, but the “hangover” effects are. Let’s not equate backfilling major recruting blunders with transfers to GS actually recruting/developing his own players he targeted and groomed in HS. It is NOT the same.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR… That Ash left us SOME very good players and those guys played under GS or are still on the field, but let’s be honest he didn’t leave a full team.

Dino Babers has been at Syracuse for 7 fuxing seasons rebuilding. He has had some great seasons and some not so great. GS still went up there and beat them last year. In the last ten meetings Rutgers is 7-3 and on a three win streak.

Last edited:
I have to answer this. The benefit of "Home cooking ref calls"? I assume you mean the game against Purdue? Those refs were in fact, Big Ten officials. No split crew. Syracuse is doing what they need to do to win. NC State was playing without Leary, true but if you want to play that card, we are down about 5 starters also. So, if we had lost, we could have said the same thing. Bottom line, these are all Division one players. Nobody has a choice from week to week. You play with the hand you are delt. Nothing more, nothing less.
Purdue gave the game away with the late personal foul penalties

Reactions: William J. Leggett
Purdue gave the game away with the late personal foul penalties
That my friend is football. Their tight end ran his mouth and made hand gestures. His coach used profanity. They got flags. They should have kept their mouths shut. It's football. It is a game of rules. Abide by them or you get penalized. I have to say though, that pass of 25 yards from Shrader to Gadsden in the corner of the end zone had a lot to do with that win.

Purdue gave the gsme away with the late penalties
That my friend is football. Their tight end ran his mouth and made hand gestures. His coach used profanity. They got flags. They should have kept their mouths shut. It's football. It is a game of rules. Abide by them or you get penalized. I have to say though, that pass of 25 yards from Shrader to Gadsden in the corner of the end zone had a lot to do with that win.
I would not argue that
Just pointing out that two of your wins were gifts. And football is that way sometimes

There will never be full parity in CFB, that’s just the way it is. I accept that.

Given that though, I see expanded opportunities more than ever before and that’s a positive imo.
There will never be parity in football until the have not programs make noise and change it. I have no idea beyond glorious tradition why they tolerate such a lopsided system. Most of them undoubtedly lose money on it.

GS has been here for 2.5 seasons… He has TWO recruting classes of his own on campus and a third in HS.

If Ash actually recruited properly we would have 2-3 junior/senior classes as MAJOR contributors. We don’t… GS had to backfill those terrible Ash classes, as best he could (still is) with transfers and his younger players to make us somewhat serviceable at this point.

When GS’s first class are fifth year seniors we can officially close the book on the $hitshow Ash left. Those are the facts…

All Ash’s players might not be hear, but the “hangover” effects are. Let’s not equate backfilling major recruting blunders with transfers to GS actually recruting/developing his own players he targeted and groomed in HS. It is NOT the same.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR… That Ash left us SOME very good players and those guys played under GS or are still on the field, but let’s be honest he didn’t leave a full team.

Dino Babers has been at Syracuse for 7 fuxing seasons rebuilding. He has had some great seasons and some not so great. GS still went up there and beat them last year. In the last ten meetings Rutgers is 7-3 and on a three win streak.
Dino Babers' overall and conference record. In the ACC 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 :
35–4317–35

OP should take the screen name RUaDope?

It's the blind leading the blind as usual here. The cult of RU fans that are content being an embarrassment is even more of an embarrassment. They are the ultimate lagging indicator.
What difference does contentment of other fans make? In the world of college sports money talks and is king. Your constant negativity does nothing except to cause divisiveness and ill will on this board. Unless you have money that is a difference maker AND donate a significant sum to RU athletics or towards NIL, you're no better nor worse than the most optimistic poster on this board....so perhaps stop denigrating those who may look at things differently.

What difference does contentment of other fans make? In the world of college sports money talks and is king. Your constant negativity does nothing except to cause divisiveness and ill will on this board. Unless you have money that is a difference maker AND donate a significant sum to RU athletics or towards NIL, you're no better nor worse than the most optimistic poster on this board....so perhaps stop denigrating those who may look at things differently.
If you actually read my posts, I disparage no one unless it's responding to someone who initially levied pejoratives in my direction for my opinion. Conduct a little research before making baseless statements.

That's the worry and the doom and gloom I see here but how often does it actually happen. Heck Tenn actually lost a bunch of players after the Pruitt controversy (lost like 20 players and 11 starters IIRC) and they're beating Alabama 2 years later and are undefeated.

There's a balance between NIL and playing time/opportunity/utility. Plus I don't see all these programs of mid tier or lower tier P5 status doling out tons of dollars and gathering a bunch of top players from other teams. The top are competing with the top mostly. If anything I see talent widening at the top and on down. Alabama even looks vulnerable at times, almost losing to Texas and A&M and actually losing to Tenn.

Cuse's qb is a transfer from Miss St and doing a solid job for them. Levis from UK is from PSU and has done a nice job for them in his time there. Rising from Utah came from Texas and is doing a solid job for them during his time there. Charlie Jones has become a big WR target for Purdue...of all places where do they get him? That high powered Iowa offense lol.

So for every Jordan Addison who might transfer from a mid tier team, I see at least as many if not more going the other direction and impacting mid tier and lower tier teams positively. You're going to lose players and you're going to get players, it's up to the coaches to figure out and piece it together and make it go. Playoff expansion will offer more opportunity for lower status teams to raise their profiles too.

I see a lot of doom and gloom here but I just see more potential opportunity to be grasped

how often does it actually happen?

nobody has a clue. And that the issue.

we’ve seen some examples of the top players on teams getting scooped up by big NIL.

but that was all just a. Warm up. Now comes the real test. After this season.

how often does it actually happen?

nobody has a clue. And that the issue.

we’ve seen some examples of the top players on teams getting scooped up by big NIL.

but that was all just a. Warm up. Now comes the real test. After this season.
What's so special about the end of this season?

Sure you'll get example of some top players on a low or medium status team move on but how many and how often. I think you have at least as many or more impactful players going to lower or mid tier teams. You'll lose players and you can get them too.

If you actually read my posts, I disparage no one unless it's responding to someone who initially levied pejoratives in my direction for my opinion. Conduct a little research before making baseless statements.

Perhaps its you who should read your own posts. See example (again) completely pejorative. Do you even know what the word means.

Baseless? ...LOL.

It's the blind leading the blind as usual here. The cult of RU fans that are content being an embarrassment is even more of an embarrassment. They are the ultimate lagging indicator.

Perhaps its you who should read your own posts. See example (again) completely pejorative. Do you even know what the word means.

Baseless? ...LOL.
Well since I used the word and you just copied me, I'm pretty sure you're part of the referenced laggards. Eventually you'll see the light, but it just takes your type of fan some time.

Yes we played Princeton and Colgate for what 100 years. My freshman year was last time we played Princeton and a few weeks later scared the crap out of Alabama.

Reactions: Virginiarufan
As much as I hate Syracuse their Program just has run circles around us...A bunch of Bigtime Bowl appearances. A Heisman Trophy Winner ..5 Conference titles

We beat Louisville
Kudos to SU for their achievments in the 1900s. Have we won the Orange bowl, no. But we have been better than them not counting Ash. We’ve beaten SU 7 of the last 9. Until they beat us their fans need to shut up and our fans need to get behind our team.

Last edited:
You do realize we didn’t give a $hit for like 100 years right?? Going forward in the next 100 Rutgers fans are going to laugh.
I will not be alive in 100 years, in fact, likely not 50 years from now, so I couldn't care less about anything but today, tomorrow, and maybe the day after. Let's see where we are at the end of this year, next year, and year 5 of Schiano 2.0 and go from there.

Good for Cuse, now let's see how they do @#5Clemson which is their 2nd away game of the year. Tough to even count @Uconn as they 1st away game IMO.

Good for Cuse, now let's see how they do @#5Clemson which is their 2nd away game of the year. Tough to even count @Uconn as they 1st away game IMO.
I’ve said 6-8 wins and I’ll stay with that. I think they have a good shot at BC, ND. I think Clemson and WF are uphill. FSU and Pitt either 50-50 or slightly in the opponents’ favor.

Reactions: MADHAT1
I’m a Dino fan but I think it’s important to let people know this is year 7 at Cuse and 4 of them have had losing records and 5 of 6 years he’s had a losing ACC record.
You mean Dinosaur BBQ? Me too. Yum.

Reactions: MADHAT1
We have won 3 games; Nebraska didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves with poor play calling. So we should be 4-2. OSU was OSU. And we were somewhat competitive with Iowa. With an improvement in offense, we should be competitive in 4 of the 6 remaining games. The Indiana game will be very telling. If Nunzio shows some life on offense and we beat Inidiana ( who gave Maryland a real battle today), I will be more confident with our ability to be competitive with, Maryland , Minnesota and MSU. If that happens and we win 5 games this year, I think it will be a nice improvement over last year even though win total is the same. Looking forward to next year, the OL will be better and deeper and I believe Gavin and Sam Brown will be the real deal. I know there are a lot of if’s here, but they are not big stretches. Based on the current alignment and being competitive with every team except OSU and maybe one other team would be a significant benchmark. If the conference goes to quads with annual games against the other 3 teams in our quad and 2 games against teams in each of the other quads, might be better than the current East division schedule. Don’t give up yet. If we can get the right OC and show as much improvement as the defense, we will be a fun team to watch and have a shot to win most weeks. I know Football is the big dog, but I get great joy watching most of our other sports where we are competitive and more than competitive in a power 5 conference.
No we should be what our record say we are, While when discussing the team it’s always, if, should be, they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves, OC fault, only a few players away
Syracuse should have lost two earlier games, but the benefit of home cooking ref calls

they then beat NC state who lost their qb right before their game

they do deserve some credit but there was some luck involved
Every team should have won or should have lost. Doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters is the final score.

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
No we should be what our record say we are, While when discussing the team it’s always, if, should be, they didn’t beat us, we beat ourselves, OC fault, only a few players away

Every team should have won or should have lost. Doesn’t matter, the only thing that matters is the final score.
Absolutely
My thoughts are that Syracuse really has not shown to be a very good team and the true test is coming
The record is deceiving right now

Now, maybe they rise to the challenge in a game or two left,but I think they lose most of the remaining

Anyone (that is a real Rutgers fan and paying attention) saying that we couldn’t beat these guys again this year…….. 7 out of last 10 meetings… Needs to get their head out of thier a$$…

1. People are SERIOUSLY underestimating our defense.

2. Syracuse has beaten NO ONE… If they beat Clemson this week, then I’ll start giving them a little more credit.

They beat Louisville the first game of the season when it’s obvious that Louisville had their worst game and their head up their @ss based on how they playing now. Anyway… A win is a win.. I think that game would be different if they played now.

They next beat a $hitty Connecticut team. Nothing else to say.

The Purdue game should have been a loss, but they still made enough plays and Purdue made some idiotic mistakes. Still close game… 32-29. (the same Purdue that just had a back and forth battle with the juggernaut Nebraska (43-37) that we just gave the game away too 13-14.)

They then had a close game (22-20) with a Virginia team that was absolutely smashed by Illinois (24-3).

Next Wagner… Which they 59-0 while we beat them 66–7. Not sure to take from this game.

NC State… They handle them, but definitely not the same NC State with their QB out.

My long winded point….. IF Syracuse played us THIS YEAR it would be a close game and anything but a walk in the park for them or us.

Last edited:
Anyone (that is a reall Rutgers fan and paying attention) saying that we couldn’t beat these guys again this year…….. 7 out of last 10 meetings… Needs to get their head out of thier a$$…

2. Syracuse has beaten NO ONE… If they beat Clemson this week then I’ll start giving them a little more credit.

They beat Louisville the first game of the season when it’s obvious that Louisville had their worst game and their head up their @ss based on how they playing now. Anyway… A win is a win.. I think that game would be different if they played now.

They next beat a $hitty Connecticut team.

The Purdue game should have been a loss, but they still made enough plays and Purdue made some idiotic mistakes. Still close game… 32-29. (the same Purdue that just had a back and forth battle with the juggernaut Nebraska (43-37) that we gave the game away too 13-14.)

They then had a close game (22-20) with a Virginia team that was absolutely smashed by Illinois (24-3).

Next Wagner… Which they 59-0 while we beat them 66–7. Not sure to take from this game.

NC State… They handle them, but definitely not the same NC State with their QB out.

My long winded point….. IF Syracuse played us THIS YEAR it would be a close game and anything but a walk in the park for them or us.
My understanding is that Purdue was ahead late and then had two personal foul calls helping Cuse to get the winning touchdown
Another game they got a borderline face
mask call on a desperation pass, and if they didn’t get that call they lose

yes they won, full credit,but they got help you normally can’t figure
It wasn’t like they outplayed the mediocre teams they beat

Syracuse is most likely losing the next 6 games and then the crap bowl that goes to a 6-6 ACC team , to finish the year 6-7. Not hating. Thats just how I see it .

Reactions: Knight Shift
Anyone (that is a real Rutgers fan and paying attention) saying that we couldn’t beat these guys again this year…….. 7 out of last 10 meetings… Needs to get their head out of thier a$$…

2. Syracuse has beaten NO ONE… If they beat Clemson this week, then I’ll start giving them a little more credit.

They next beat a $hitty Connecticut team. Nothing else to say.

The Purdue game should have been a loss, but they still made enough plays and Purdue made some idiotic mistakes. Still close game… 32-29. (the same Purdue that just had a back and forth battle with the juggernaut Nebraska (43-37) that we just gave the game away too 13-14.)

We shouldnt compare teams scores. Iowa scored 7 points on South Dakota State but 27 on us. UCF scored 70 on Temple. Nc State is similar to us without Leary. So I think we would lose to them in a 24-9 type game.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT