ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies

Definitely pick some other secondary schools than those listed. My son had similar stats, 1540 SAT, 5.3 weighted gpa, class president 4 years, varsity athlete 2 years, 12 AP classes and fundraising. Got into Rutgers business school honors college, Indiana business school honors and UNC, Chapel Hill. Waitlisted/declined at Wharton, Stern, Northeastern, Villanova and UMich/Ross. He is very happy at UNC, but it was certainly an eye opening experience.
We're going to tour UNC when we go to look at Duke & WF. What is eye opening at UNC?

I challenge anyone on the right to find a country that is supporting Israel's military approach in the West Bank. Well, the US is providing tacit approval of bombing civilians by providing economic and military aid; thus the protests.

The rest is spin. There are anti-semites joining the protesters now just like the sh!tbag anti-semite protesters who joined the conservative protesters in southern states 2017; chanting "the Jews will not replace us". After a white supremacist drove a car through a crowd of counter protesters, the sitting President at the time gave them aid and comfort by saying "there were very fine people on both sides". That very same President later refused to condemn the anti-semitic Proud Boys in a nationally-televised debate, instead saying "stand by and stand back".

Strangely, the anti-semetic right wingers are pro-Israel (just not the Jews who live in California, NY, Florida- they are evil libs who are destroying our country) in the -enemy-of our-enemy-is-our-friend mentality. They support Israel (because they want to destroy Muslims in Palestine) but they still hate Jews.
Sorry, there is no clean way to remove Hamas without killing civilians. War ain’t perfect and the pro-Palestine folks amplify any little mistake by Israel (while being silent on Hamas). And more times than not it’s fake or highly edited video that the far left gobbles up. Israel’s response is no different than any other country would be, only difference is they are perceived to be white so the usual suspects cry about it.

i love how people keep going out of their way to make the pro Hamas anti Israel protesters feel special and protected

Agreed but common sense also has to apply. Now this kid should not be arrested but I do question his judgment or intentions here.

Agreed but common sense also has to apply. Now this kid should not be arrested but I do question his judgment or intentions here.
why are you questioning his judgment and not the thousands of protestors across the country that has effected lives of many jews and other students

interesting to note

Definitely pick some other secondary schools than those listed. My son had similar stats, 1540 SAT, 5.3 weighted gpa, class president 4 years, varsity athlete 2 years, 12 AP classes and fundraising. Got into Rutgers business school honors college, Indiana business school honors and UNC, Chapel Hill. Waitlisted/declined at Wharton, Stern, Northeastern, Villanova and UMich/Ross. He is very happy at UNC, but it was certainly an eye opening experience.
He'll probably apply to a dozen schools. It's stories like yours that I find chilling. You'd think those accomplishments would get your son into a top 20 school easily.

My son is also going to apply to UNC, BC, Emory, Vandy, ND (gasp) and a couple of safeties. I honestly don't think we'll apply to an Ivy unless there's football "recruitment". I guess we'll see how the fall goes.

He'll probably apply to a dozen schools. It's stories like yours that I find chilling. You'd think those accomplishments would get your son into a top 20 school easily.

My son is also going to apply to UNC, BC, Emory, Vandy, ND (gasp) and a couple of safeties. I honestly don't think we'll apply to an Ivy unless there's football "recruitment". I guess we'll see how the fall goes.
Rutgers in the mix?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
what does that have to do with this man going through the crowd and his right to do it as an american citizen and i bet you some there are not even american citizens

What it has to do with is this interaction where I stated Massachusetts law might considered what that man was trying to do a criminal act , in a reply to another person.. You really need to look past your own point of view and understand the USA has laws to protect the people you don't like. Not just the ones you like
could be this, that anti protester knew he would be causing trouble by going through that encampment and in Massachusetts:The crime of being a disorderly person is defined as: engaging in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or creating a hazardous or offensive condition that serves no legitimate purpose.
bac replied
i love how people keep going out of their way to make the pro Hamas anti Israel protesters feel special and protected
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not everyone who sympathize with what the protesters are trying to do are pro Hamas.
Some consider Hamas the type of scum that needs to be destroyed .
But also realize that Israel has been treating Palestinians living under their control poorly and want hat stopped.
Unless Israel starts treating Palestinians fairly destroying Hamas will not stop terrorist attacks by other terrorist groups .
Addressing the root of the problem by agreeing to a two state solution will take away
the Israeli haters best issue that helps terrorist orginazations claim they are fighting for the Palestinian people against their Israli oppressor .

Terrorisn has been part of the Palestine/Isreal landscape since Jewish terrorists started bombing the British trying to force them out of Palestine so the State of Isreal could be formed so all of the Jewish prople all over the world could come to a Jewisn Nation and live in their Bibical home if they so desired
Israel has the right to exsist, but the State of Palestine needs that shame right in order to finnaly have a good chance to bring peact to the mideast that has been full of violence even before the modern Nation of Isreal was formed.
Hate on both sides is keeping people from working on a fair and balenced solution .
That hate also makes some look atPalistianen people's rights comments as support for Hamas when it's not.
Compassion for people shouldn't be misconscrewd as supporting a terrorist group.
That's what you and some others are doing

We're going to tour UNC when we go to look at Duke & WF. What is eye opening at UNC?
Not sure what’s eye opening. My wife and son loved the UNC campus. UNC refer to themselves as the oldest state university, although Rutgers at 1766 was older but I guess it was Queens college at the time. He liked the idea of being out of state, the campus is old and relatively contained, certainly when compared to Rutgers. He felt the business school was a little better academically than Rutgers, although UNC very rarely does direct admits to the business school. He is just completing his first year, so when he was deciding Rutgers had not made the move up in the us news rankings yet so I think UNC’s relative strength swayed his decision a bit.
I like the dorm setup at Rutgers, (at least when I was at Rutgers in 85) compared to the UNC suite setup, it seemed much easier to meet people. But he is in a business fraternity and has made many contacts and has an internship this year as a Freshman. You go in with a lot of “street cred” when you are an out of stater since they have a relatively low OOS acceptance rate. They are a very sports focused school, which was much different than my time on the banks, maybe not as much now. Franklin street was pretty cool. Football, basketball and baseball facilities right on campus, although the gyms are incredibly disappointing. Like I said, he loves it and is doing well, so it seems to be the right choice for him.
Good luck with the search,

Don’t you usually need tickets for graduation? Why let them in?

You going to question families of those graduating before they get tickets? And some of those protesting were doing so at their own graduation. About the only real question is what to do when the protest starts. Or not having the ceremony.

Reactions: newell138
Sorry, there is no clean way to remove Hamas without killing civilians. War ain’t perfect and the pro-Palestine folks amplify any little mistake by Israel (while being silent on Hamas). And more times than not it’s fake or highly edited video that the far left gobbles up. Israel’s response is no different than any other country would be, only difference is they are perceived to be white so the usual suspects cry about it.
I also wonder how many civilians we BBQ'd during the Vietnam War with those fuel explosive bombs? War ain't pretty!

Not sure what’s eye opening. My wife and son loved the UNC campus. UNC refer to themselves as the oldest state university, although Rutgers at 1766 was older but I guess it was Queens college at the time. He liked the idea of being out of state, the campus is old and relatively contained, certainly when compared to Rutgers. He felt the business school was a little better academically than Rutgers, although UNC very rarely does direct admits to the business school. He is just completing his first year, so when he was deciding Rutgers had not made the move up in the us news rankings yet so I think UNC’s relative strength swayed his decision a bit.
I like the dorm setup at Rutgers, (at least when I was at Rutgers in 85) compared to the UNC suite setup, it seemed much easier to meet people. But he is in a business fraternity and has made many contacts and has an internship this year as a Freshman. You go in with a lot of “street cred” when you are an out of stater since they have a relatively low OOS acceptance rate. They are a very sports focused school, which was much different than my time on the banks, maybe not as much now. Franklin street was pretty cool. Football, basketball and baseball facilities right on campus, although the gyms are incredibly disappointing. Like I said, he loves it and is doing well, so it seems to be the right choice for him.
Good luck with the search,
I actually picked RU over UNC. I was looking for a change and get out of the south. Grass is always greener on the other side.

Which are the countries that killed their own hostages, murdered aid workers, and opened fire on people queing for food all while the person ordering these attacks was under criminal indictment and allowed funding to flow to the group he claimed he was trying to eliminate?

Reactions: dconifer
why are you questioning his judgment and not the thousands of protestors across the country that has effected lives of many jews and other students

interesting to note

You called to arrest peaceful protesters but claim a kid directing monkey noises at an African American woman has "freedom of movement"

Interesting, and wholly unsurprising- to note.

What it has to do with is this interaction where I stated Massachusetts law might considered what that man was trying to do a criminal act , in a reply to another person.. You really need to look past your own point of view and understand the USA has laws to protect the people you don't like. Not just the ones you like

Not everyone who sympathize with what the protesters are trying to do are pro Hamas.
But also realize that Israel has been treating Palestinians living under their control poorly and want hat stopped.
Unless Israel starts treating Palestinians fairly destroying Hamas will not stop terrorist attacks by other terrorist groups .
Addressing the root of the problem by agreeing to a two state solution will take away
the Israeli haters best issue that helps terrorist orginazations claim they are fighting for the Palestinian people against their Israli oppressor .

Terrorisn has been part of the Palestine/Isreal landscape since Jewish terrorists started bombing the British trying to force them out of Palestine so the State of Isreal could be formed so all of the Jewish prople all over the world could come to a Jewisn Nation and live in their Bibical home if they so desired
Israel has the right to exsist, but the State of Palestine needs that shame right in order to finnaly have a good chance to bring peact to the mideast that has been full of violence even before the modern Nation of Isreal was formed.
Hate on both sides is keeping people from working on a fair and balenced solution .
That hate also makes some look atPalistianen people's rights comments as support for Hamas when it's not.
Compassion for people shouldn't be misconstrued as supporting a terrorist group.
Thanks for posting this. Now I can stop debating with myself as to whether or not to post something along those lines. Not sure I could come up with as good a summary.
Thanks again.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

bac replied

Compassion for people shouldn't be misconscrewd as supporting a terrorist group.
great post!

Reactions: Kbee3
Which are the countries that killed their own hostages, murdered aid workers, and opened fire on people queing for food all while the person ordering these attacks was under criminal indictment and allowed funding to flow to the group he claimed he was trying to eliminate?
Every country that has ever engaged in war. Are you 12?

My daughter had one A- and was valedictorian of her class, all the other bells and whistles AND was a recruited D1 athlete that didn’t get into her top choice after admissions doing a soft read on her prior to being offered. This schools class had 6 of their 7 recruits not admitted.

My daughter had one A- and was valedictorian of her class, all the other bells and whistles AND was a recruited D1 athlete that didn’t get into her top choice after admissions doing a soft read on her prior to being offered. This schools class had 6 of their 7 recruits not admitted.
But she is in a top 20 school (Vandy?)

Where did she end up going? Did she end up playing a sport? My son has 2 B+ in AP classes on his transcript but the rest are straight A's so on a weighted basis it's way above a 4.0 at an excellent HS. It's nuts....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT