ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies

Show your work
Show me where a large percentage

Show me where its been validated that a large percentage of the students who are Jewish are the ones that are protesting

“There’s so many young Jewish people who are like a vital part” of the protests, said Grant Miner, a Jewish graduate student at Columbia who is part of a student coalition calling on Columbia to divest from companies connected to Israel.

And in a statement, that group said, “We are frustrated by media distractions focusing on inflammatory individuals who do not represent us” and added that the group’s members “firmly reject any form of hate or bigotry.”

Paz Baum is a student with the university’s chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace, which is part of the Northwestern University Divestment Coalition. She said the coalition is proud of the deal it negotiated.

“The fact that the university is now legally bound to disclosing their financial investments mean that we can push towards divestment,” Baum said. “The other terms of the agreement allow for support of Muslim, Palestinian, Jewish students on campus. And that means that the university is now invested in their students, in students of all backgrounds and all religions.”

JVP, which describes itself as the largest progressive Jewish anti-Zionist organization in the world, voiced support for the campus demonstrations in comments to Newsweek.

"We applaud the courage and determination of students all over the country who are peacefully protesting for an end to U.S. support to the Israeli military and calling on their own universities to divest from the Israeli military," JVP's executive director Stefanie Fox said in an email.

Fox said that "countless Jewish students" are part of the protests. "It is not antisemitic to protest the actions of the Israeli government which is waging a genocidal campaign on Gaza," she said.

Reactions: Morrischiano
“There’s so many young Jewish people who are like a vital part” of the protests, said Grant Miner, a Jewish graduate student at Columbia who is part of a student coalition calling on Columbia to divest from companies connected to Israel.

And in a statement, that group said, “We are frustrated by media distractions focusing on inflammatory individuals who do not represent us” and added that the group’s members “firmly reject any form of hate or bigotry.”

Paz Baum is a student with the university’s chapter of Jewish Voice for Peace, which is part of the Northwestern University Divestment Coalition. She said the coalition is proud of the deal it negotiated.

“The fact that the university is now legally bound to disclosing their financial investments mean that we can push towards divestment,” Baum said. “The other terms of the agreement allow for support of Muslim, Palestinian, Jewish students on campus. And that means that the university is now invested in their students, in students of all backgrounds and all religions.”

JVP, which describes itself as the largest progressive Jewish anti-Zionist organization in the world, voiced support for the campus demonstrations in comments to Newsweek.

"We applaud the courage and determination of students all over the country who are peacefully protesting for an end to U.S. support to the Israeli military and calling on their own universities to divest from the Israeli military," JVP's executive director Stefanie Fox said in an email.

Fox said that "countless Jewish students" are part of the protests. "It is not antisemitic to protest the actions of the Israeli government which is waging a genocidal campaign on Gaza," she said.

That’s nice, but it doesn’t not give a percentage

I never said Jewish students werent a part of it, but to insinuate that they are the majority is insanely baseless

• Haha
Reactions: fsg2
How about the 20 Republicans who said it violates the 1A?
Good for them, they did their jobs and voted based on what they thought was correct

again I don’t play the whole party game

I play the best candidate and what they can do for our country angle

Obviously I lean right, but unlike a lot of people in here, and in life in general, I don’t drink the GOP, or any other group think, flavored Kool-Aid

Good for them, they did their jobs and voted based on what they thought was correct

again I don’t play the whole party game

I play the best candidate and what they can do for our country angle

Obviously I lean right, but like a lot of people in here, I don’t drink the GOP, or any other group think flavored Kool-Aid

My point is actually that people are coming together...w concern for the 1A and Israel's behavior.

That’s nice, but it doesn’t not give a percentage

I never said Jewish students werent a part of it, but to insinuate that they are the majority is insanely baseless

I have never seen a protest census. Have you?

A majority...no. Many...yes. I never said majority. I do think what could actually be anti-Semitic though is labeling someone as not Jewish when they say they are simply because of a political view.

Reactions: Kbee3
I have never seen a protest census. Have you?

A majority...no. Many...yes. I never said majority. I do think what could actually be anti-Semitic though is labeling someone as not Jewish when they say they are simply because of a political view.
That term gets thrown around a lot, especially down where I live near the shore for various reasons outlined in a previous thread

AOC is better suited for bartending, her former profession, then what she is currently doing
There are many issues I do not agree with her on, but she is just as qualified as the majority of people in Congress. She is prepared and when I have seen her asking questions, she carried herself fine.

To be honest that reply just seems to be parroting what Newsmax and Fox feed to their viewers.

My congressman has been in office as long as any congress person in history and while I agree with him on certain issues he clearly is not as intelligent as her nor does he appear to put in the work she does.

There are many issues I do not agree with her on, but she is just as qualified as the majority of people in Congress. She is prepared and when I have seen her asking questions, she carried herself fine.

To be honest that reply just seems to be parroting what Newsmax and Fox feed to their viewers.

My congressman has been in office as long as any congress person in history and while I agree with him on certain issues he clearly is not as intelligent as her nor does he appear to put in the work she does.
She’s a clown, Tom

As, quite honestly, are the majority of people, from both parties, in her position

Have her represent Jackson if she’s that qualified - or better yet, Lakewood

Reactions: newell138
Why isn't she qualified?
Why is she?

She handles herself like a clown and parades in front if the camera gerrymandering like a wounded farm animal while talking out both sides of her ass, saying very little and becoming more full of herself every waking minute

Which sounds like most politicians these days, to the detriment of society on a whole

I have had zero confidence in her with respect to economic policy ever since she said in 2018 the reason unemployment was low was because people had 2 jobs. She may be supplied questions by staff and lobbyists. And it's not Newsmax.

https://factcheck.org/2018/07/ocasio-cortez-wrong-on-cause-of-low-unemployment/

I have had zero confidence in her with respect to economic policy ever since she said in 2018 the reason unemployment was low was because people had 2 jobs. She may be supplied questions by staff and lobbyists. And it's not Newsmax.

https://factcheck.org/2018/07/ocasio-cortez-wrong-on-cause-of-low-unemployment/
Do you feel she is lacking more than dozens of other democrats or republicans? As I said I do not agree with her on many issues but the canard that she was a bartender means she is not qualified or dumb is just reacting to the nonsense coming from right wing media.

I could give you close to a dozen republicans and democrats that are dumber than any bartender you know but Fox etc. have decided not to target them.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RUMED
Why is she?

She handles herself like a clown and parades in front if the camera gerrymandering like a wounded farm animal while talking out both sides of her ass, saying very little and becoming more full of herself every waking minute

Which sounds like most politicians these days, to the detriment of society on a whole
Sounds like women from Georgia and Colorado.

Reactions: Kbee3 and RUMED
Being able to put yourself in someone else’s shoes is really important,” says Laura Bier, a San Diego-based management consultant specializing in healthcare and defense. “Kids who've been to a public school have had a broader diversity of friends from different backgrounds, teachers from different backgrounds and are better able to be nimble in those situations.”

It comes down to preparedness. Some 37% of those with hiring authority in our survey said state universities were doing better than five years ago in preparing job candidates and 31% thought non-Ivy League private colleges had improved. Just 14% had similar praise for the Ivy League, while 20% said they’re doing worse, making this the only segment in which negative appraisals of the trend in job readiness exceeded positive ones

-----------------

Well, at least Penn State did not make the list. Neither did Rutgers. Chapel Hill?

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF
I told @RU72 this years ago. The ivies have turned into daycares and the faculty are large children as well. The inmates are running the asylum

I told @RU72 this years ago. The ivies have turned into daycares and the faculty are large children as well. The inmates are running the asylum
Coleman Hughes, who went to Columbia, has this to say about Columbia students:

" Columbia and Barnard students are not stupid in the low IQ sense. They had good test scores and good grades in high school. But in my experience, many of them were deeply lacking in the common sense department––which is a separate thing altogether. To give an example, I remember a friend once told me that she had learned in class that the concept of a woman's "biological clock" was a myth, and that women really don't need to worry about declining fertility as they age into their 40s and 50s. She accepted this as true. Most of us have a mental instinct which, for a thousand reasons, would instantly call bullshit on that idea––without even having to look into it. And it is that mental instinct––not IQ, per se––which was severely lacking among my Columbia-Barnard peers."

Reactions: bac2therac
Coleman Hughes, who went to Columbia, has this to say about Columbia students:

" Columbia and Barnard students are not stupid in the low IQ sense. They had good test scores and good grades in high school. But in my experience, many of them were deeply lacking in the common sense department––which is a separate thing altogether. To give an example, I remember a friend once told me that she had learned in class that the concept of a woman's "biological clock" was a myth, and that women really don't need to worry about declining fertility as they age into their 40s and 50s. She accepted this as true. Most of us have a mental instinct which, for a thousand reasons, would instantly call bullshit on that idea––without even having to look into it. And it is that mental instinct––not IQ, per se––which was severely lacking among my Columbia-Barnard peers."

Agreed. There's book smarts where you can read and memorize and then there's critical analysis/street smarts. The latter is far more valuable in life.

Victor Davis Hanson

"Elite higher education in America—long unquestioned as globally preeminent—is facing a perfect storm. Fewer applicants, higher costs, impoverished students, collapsing standards, and increasingly politicized and mediocre faculty reflect a collapse of the university system"...

The country is waking up to the reality that a bachelor’s degree no longer equates with graduates being broadly educated and analytical. Just as often, they are stereotyped as pampered, largely ignorant, and gratuitously opinionated.No wonder polls show a drastic loss of public respect for higher education and, specifically, a growing lack of confidence in the professoriate.

Each year, there are far fewer students entering college. Despite a U.S. population 40 million larger than 20 years ago, fertility rates have fallen in two decades by some 500,000 births per year.

Meanwhile, from 1980 to 2020, room, board, and tuition increased by 170 percent.

Skyrocketing costs cannot be explained by inflation alone, given that campuses have lightened faculty teaching loads while expanding administrative staff. At Stanford, there is nearly one staffer or administrative position for every student on campus."

Reactions: bac2therac
Do you feel she is lacking more than dozens of other democrats or republicans? As I said I do not agree with her on many issues but the canard that she was a bartender means she is not qualified or dumb is just reacting to the nonsense coming from right wing media.

I could give you close to a dozen republicans and democrats that are dumber than any bartender you know but Fox etc. have decided not to target them.

That link has nothing to do with Fox nor her past as a bartender and was one of the Top 10 brainless quotes I've ever heard from a member of Congress. One thing both the far left and far right in Washington have in common is they are egomaniacs, much more than the center of both parties. Both Seabiscuit (MTG) and the "Tax the Rich" wearer of an expensive dress are poster children.

She’s a clown, Tom

As, quite honestly, are the majority of people, from both parties, in her position

Have her represent Jackson if she’s that qualified - or better yet, Lakewood
Why a clown? You might not agree with her views and
how she votes, but AOC is always very well prepared and understands the subject she is talking about. Disagreement does not make her a clown.

Looks like Rutgers and the student protesters can find common ground.
When you're willing to listen, more can be accomplished than just claiming the other side is wrong and refuse to find common ground.
Extremest on both sides fan the flame and make having meaningful dialog hard to obtain .
Looks like Rutgers did what it takes and the student protesters did the same to find common ground and work out a solution

Conclusion of Protest at Voorhees Mall | Rutgers-New Brunswick
>This resolution was achieved through constructive dialogue between the protesting students and our leadership teams. Despite the myriad ways to address the national movement, our focus has remained on ensuring our students' safety and our university's smooth operation. This agreement opens the door for ongoing dialogue and better addresses the needs of our Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian student body, which numbers over 7,000.<

I really fear for the future of our country. More and more folks are sure that they 500% right about everything, and that everybody who disagrees with them is a clown/traitor/deviant, and is so bombastic about it. As the years pass, younger people are less and less aware that it's possible to work with and be friends with somebody who has a different opinion or belief.

Putting on my tin foil hat here. I've always blamed the internet for this. Echo chambers reinforcing our own beliefs and demonizing people who feel differently has intensified divisions and hatred, and has increased volatility exponentially. Unfortunately, I don't think there's any turning back. The issues of today are not more difficult or divisive on their face than what we've had to deal with in the past, but the behavior caused by these divisions is getting more and more extreme and explosive.

Pass me the bourbon, ha ha...

Last edited:
That term gets thrown around a lot, especially down where I live near the shore for various reasons outlined in a previous thread

And my counsel is the same on both. So long as they're following the law everyone has the 1A to speak, worship and protest as they see fit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT