ADVERTISEMENT

OT: The New Ivies

I pray one day she gets called in front of Congress to explain her actions leading up to J6. She'll crack like an egg since she's used to softball questions and got just a slight pushback from MSNBC of all places and popped a cork, lol. Must have had 1/2 a bag on the old crow.https://www.yahoo.com/news/nancy-pelosi-accuses-msnbc-host-165442266.html?fr=yhssrp_catchall

I thought it was Nikki Haley that did Jan 6

Also I thought it was the FBI, and that the FBI are in jail for doing it but they're also hostages

And my counsel is the same on both. So long as they're following the law everyone has the 1A to speak, worship and protest as they see fit.
Absolutely
It’s when the term gets thrown around, and people are not being anti-Semitic, and they doing to gain an advantage, take over land, take over entire towns and ruin things for their own selfish interest, but I have a problem with

Looks like Rutgers and the student protesters can find common ground.
When you're willing to listen, more can be accomplished than just claiming the other side is wrong and refuse to find common ground.
Extremest on both sides fan the flame and make having meaningful dialog hard to obtain .
Looks like Rutgers did what it takes and the student protesters did the same to find common ground and work out a solution

Conclusion of Protest at Voorhees Mall | Rutgers-New Brunswick
>This resolution was achieved through constructive dialogue between the protesting students and our leadership teams. Despite the myriad ways to address the national movement, our focus has remained on ensuring our students' safety and our university's smooth operation. This agreement opens the door for ongoing dialogue and better addresses the needs of our Arab, Muslim, and Palestinian student body, which numbers over 7,000.<

This what makes RU so special (among other things)

- Peaceful protests w 0 arrests

- Admin and students come to a negotiated agreement where everyone compromised

So proud to be an alum of a school that listens, respects the 1A and works together for common ground!

Absolutely
It’s when the term gets thrown around, and people are not being anti-Semitic, and they doing to gain an advantage, take over land, take over entire towns and ruin things for their own selfish interest, but I have a problem with

Aha!

And how do you think Jewish students protesting for Palestinian rights when they are labeled the same!

I respect their good faith, and respect the good faith of those who have issues with explosive growth in Lakewood who can do so without labeling an entire religion. Which is honestly, I think, 99% on both counts. But the 1% gets the coverage.

Aha!

And how do you think Jewish students protesting for Palestinian rights when they are labeled the same!

I respect their good faith, and respect the good faith of those who have issues with explosive growth in Lakewood who can do so without labeling an entire religion. Which is honestly, I think, 99% on both counts. But the 1% gets the coverage.
Calling a Jewish person anti-Semitic who is protesting what is going on in Gaza is idiotic

If they’re doing it in a responsible way apart from the Neanderthals that are ruining shit, and are genuinely out for change and in search of a peaceful two state solution, then God bless them

I am not Jewish and it would be quite hypocritical of me to call anybody anti-Semitic, especially those who are Jewish, based on that conflict that is going on in their land and territory

Calling a Jewish person anti-Semitic who is protesting what is going on in Gaza is idiotic

If they’re doing it in a responsible way apart from the Neanderthals that are ruining shit, and are genuinely out for change and in search of a peaceful two state solution, then God bless them

I am not Jewish and it would be quite hypocritical of me to call anybody anti-Semitic, especially those who are Jewish, based on that conflict that is going on in their land and territory

I agree. But unfortunately that is happening, including on this board.

RU and Holloway handled this with aplomb. At least we can celebrate that.

I agree. But unfortunately that is happening, including on this board.

RU and Holloway handled this with aplomb. At least we can celebrate that.
That will remain to be seen, but on the outset, it looks like a win

My point of contention is threefold:

1. Disrupting finals is bullshit and such a bad president

2. What kind of messages does this send for the next group, who will want to do the same thing and expect a similar concessions?

3. If Rutgers Welches on their vow, what happens?

All in all I would agree it was a win / win (hopefully not temporary ) and all things considered, With the way things are going on in this country, and finals/graduation being minimally impacted, and I commend all parties.

Why isn't she qualified?

I will preface this by saying that most of them are hypocrites but the most extreme example is her crying fake tears at the border when Trump was in office. She was so concerned about the children. The last 3 years she has been quite silent on it though, despite the record number of children being trafficked into sex work and girls being raped as they invade the border. It was all a stunt.

That will remain to be seen, but on the outset, it looks like a win

My point of contention is threefold:

1. Disrupting finals is bullshit and such a bad president

2. What kind of messages does this send for the next group, who will want to do the same thing and expect a similar concessions?

3. If Rutgers Welches on their vow, what happens?

All in all I would agree it was a win / win (hopefully not temporary ) and all things considered, With the way things are going on in this country, and finals/graduation being minimally impacted, and I commend all parties.

1. Protests are disruptive by nature

2. A concession to treat people with respect and study issues? Sounds like what college is.

3. They won't.

I have always said RU's diversity of all types makes our community special. This is that on display for our nation. We're a positive example.

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven
1. Protests are disruptive by nature

2. A concession to treat people with respect and study issues? Sounds like what college is.

3. They won't.

I have always said RU's diversity of all types makes our community special. This is that on display for our nation. We're a positive example.
Disruptive is one thing, but completely canceling finals or postponing them is bullshit

Based on what they were asking, there’s plenty of other groups who would claim their deserved scholarships as well. As well as additional concessions. Somewhere good I think, others were a tad over the top, put it nicely.

Nobody knows they will not fulfill their end of the bargain. It could be a double edge sword, because if they do, it couldn’t emBolden people to continue these type of actions, and if they don’t, it could lead to additional unrest.

Disruptive is one thing, but completely canceling finals or postponing them is bullshit

Based on what they were asking, there’s plenty of other groups who would claim their deserved scholarships as well. As well as additional concessions. Somewhere good I think, others were a tad over the top, put it nicely.

Nobody knows they will not fulfill their end of the bargain. It could be a double edge sword, because if they do, it couldn’t emBolden people to continue these type of actions, and if they don’t, it could lead to additional unrest.

Sounds like they got moved to other campuses.

RU probably should have more scholarhips, honestly. I would like a program like NY has for lower income kids. NJ threshold is very low, I believe 60 vs 125 there.

Generally I notice Holloway honoring his commitments. He has with sports for sure. The school's academic reputation has surged too.

Sounds like they got moved to other campuses.

RU probably should have more scholarhips, honestly. I would like a program like NY has for lower income kids. NJ threshold is very low, I believe 60 vs 125 there.

Generally I notice Holloway honoring his commitments. He has with sports for sure. The school's academic reputation has surged too.
Overall, he’s been very good for the school
Hopefully, he can continue that trend, and I see no reason why he would not

In regard to scholarships, I would also be a good idea to try to get the New Jersey kids to stay in state

It’s hard to get some of these kids to stay home, both the academic and athletic fronts

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I thought it was Nikki Haley that did Jan 6

Also I thought it was the FBI, and that the FBI are in jail for doing it but they're also hostages
Disappointed Alan Rickman GIF

In regard to scholarships, I would also be a good idea to try to get the New Jersey kids to stay in state

It’s hard to get some of these kids to stay home, both the academic and athletic fronts

He's killing it on that front. We are #1 public in the Northeast.

On the athletic front, they have scholarships. Can’t force these kids to come here. But a winning tradition would. Same goes for the academic front.

Hopefully that kid got arrested. That’s the kind of shit stirrer that raises tempers and incites violence.
Arrested for what?
What law (s) did he break?

I’m being serious

I’m not a lawyer, nor a policeman, nor do I know every single law and ordinance on these college campuses

If he willingly and intentionally broke a law, then absolutely arrest him

But to my naked eye, I did not see any laws being broken to warrant an arrest

Reactions: vic_torre42
Arrested for what?
What law (s) did he break?

I’m being serious

I’m not a lawyer, nor a policeman, nor do I know every single law and ordinance on these college campuses

If he willingly and intentionally broke a law, then absolutely arrest him

But to my naked eye, I did not see any laws being broken to warrant an arrest
could be this, that anti protester knew he would be causing trouble by going through that encampment and in Massachusetts:The crime of being a disorderly person is defined as: engaging in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or creating a hazardous or offensive condition that serves no legitimate purpose.

Reactions: Rutgers NJ
could be this, that anti protester knew he would be causing trouble by going through that encampment and in Massachusetts:The crime of being a disorderly person is defined as: engaging in fighting or threatening, violent or tumultuous behavior, or creating a hazardous or offensive condition that serves no legitimate purpose.
Seems a bit subjective, but point taken

i love how people keep going out of their way to make the pro Hamas anti Israel protesters feel special and protected

Hmmm I don't know. I think there is a notable difference in the "average" student at Harvard or Princeton v. the "average student at Maryland and Illinois.

From an employer standpoint, I think the Ivies (and Ivy+ of Stanford, MIT, Duke, Chicago) provided a rubber stamp of pre-qualification for a job offer. You know these kids were well-vetted to get into their school and they spent 4 years in an academically-pressured environment. They would likely be up to the task for an entry level banking, consulting, engineering, etc job. The active alumni network would make them valuable employees from a business dev standpoint as well.

My son is currently a junior at Delbarton with a 36 out of 36 on his ACT and will be taking 6 AP classes between his Jr and Sr years. He plays football and was elected class president (yes I'm bragging). His counselor told him he need to look at some of these secondary schools because the competitiveness at the Ivies is at an all-time high.
I'd be extremely happy if he ended up at a UVA, Northwestern, Duke.
Definitely pick some other secondary schools than those listed. My son had similar stats, 1540 SAT, 5.3 weighted gpa, class president 4 years, varsity athlete 2 years, 12 AP classes and fundraising. Got into Rutgers business school honors college, Indiana business school honors and UNC, Chapel Hill. Waitlisted/declined at Wharton, Stern, Northeastern, Villanova and UMich/Ross. He is very happy at UNC, but it was certainly an eye opening experience.

Definitely pick some other secondary schools than those listed. My son had similar stats, 1540 SAT, 5.3 weighted gpa, class president 4 years, varsity athlete 2 years, 12 AP classes and fundraising. Got into Rutgers business school honors college, Indiana business school honors and UNC, Chapel Hill. Waitlisted/declined at Wharton, Stern, Northeastern, Villanova and UMich/Ross. He is very happy at UNC, but it was certainly an eye opening experience.
Do you know his UW GPA? Just trying to figure out what a 5.3 is?

i love how people keep going out of their way to make the pro Hamas anti Israel protesters feel special and protected
Calling people who only want to see Palestinians receive a fair deal and the collateral damage being caused by the war against terrorism be addressed while doing what's needed to destroy a terrorist group pro Hamas is just an example of a hate /fear tactic by those who refuse to look at any opinion but their own and refuse to consider not everyone who opposes the way Israel has treated Palestinians living under their control unfairly can be pro Palistine and want Hamas destroyed at the same time.
Seems like some people consider hate and fear the only way to treat a problem making compassion an ugly word only used by the enemy
As for me Israel has every right to destroy Hamas but also needs to understand the way they treat Palestinians living under their control is the root of the problem and unles they allow a two state solution to happen, they can destroy Hamas, but better expect another terrorst orginazation to [pop up.
The British found that out when they had Isreali terriorst orginazations bombing hotels , railways and other places in their effort to make the British leave Palistine and have the new State of Isreal formed into a Nation that all of the Jewish people around the world could live and call home if they so desired .
Learn not to hate everything you don't understand, doing that makes for a shallow mind that doesn't look at issues clearly but with hate blinders on

People who are intimidated by bullies and conform to their wishes, do not see themselves as capitulating to intimidation. To preserve ego, they see themselves as being superior in their ability to "understand" the bully and to "compromise." Then when more stout and principled people oppose a bully the capitulators see them as the "real problem." The bully becomes the saint in an upside down situation and the hero become the demon. You can see this in groups all the time. Millions preserve their egos via psychological mazes of false virtue.

Reactions: bac2therac
I think it was a 3.9, he got a B+ in Spanish 2 or 3.
It’s a crazy process. Glad he likes it a UNC. My daughter told me a funny story about her friend. She came home with a B+ in her junior year and her parents said there goes the Ivys. I laughed but sadly it was true.

ETA I bet he was yielded at Northeastern. That’s how they manage their acceptance rate.

Last edited:
Reactions: Morrischiano
ETA I bet he was yielded at Northeastern. That’s how they manage their acceptance rate.
So is that where they recognize they are likely a safety school for that applicant, who isn't likely to accept the admission, so they deny the admission which also helps keep the yield/matriculation % artificially higher for the appearance of higher selectivity. Might as well have applied to the much better directional school (Northwestern) instead.

So is that where they recognize they are likely a safety school for that applicant, who isn't likely to accept the admission, so they deny the admission which also helps keep the yield/matriculation % artificially higher for the appearance of higher selectivity. Might as well have applied to the much better directional school (Northwestern) instead.
Yes, but they don’t deny you. They defer you and see if you want to move forward after.

Calling people who only want to see Palestinians receive a fair deal and the collateral damage being caused by the war against terrorism be addressed while doing what's needed to destroy a terrorist group pro Hamas is just an example of a hate /fear tactic by those who refuse to look at any opinion but their own and refuse to consider not everyone who opposes the way Israel has treated Palestinians living under their control unfairly can be pro Palistine and want Hamas destroyed at the same time.
Seems like some people consider hate and fear the only way to treat a problem making compassion an ugly word only used by the enemy
As for me Israel has every right to destroy Hamas but also needs to understand the way they treat Palestinians living under their control is the root of the problem and unles they allow a two state solution to happen, they can destroy Hamas, but better expect another terrorst orginazation to [pop up.
The British found that out when they had Isreali terriorst orginazations bombing hotels , railways and other places in their effort to make the British leave Palistine and have the new State of Isreal formed into a Nation that all of the Jewish people around the world could live and call home if they so desired .
Learn not to hate everything you don't understand, doing that makes for a shallow mind that doesn't look at issues clearly but with hate blinders on
what does that have to do with this man going through the crowd and his right to do it as an american citizen and i bet you some there are not even american citizens

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT