ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Tiger with no recollection of accident!

As sick as this may sound, the Hyundai Genesis may have gotten “good” publicity in how well this truck protected Tiger Woods in this accident since the the investigatiors says he’s “lucky to be alive.”
Or bad publicity for not alerting the driver that he was changing into another lane.

No idea if the memory loss is real or fake but even without head trauma, the human body and mind does amazing things. The trauma he had with the leg, is horrific, sounds like he was in major shock at the scene as well...and there is no time to be pulling a fakeout when you have broken bones sticking out of the skin. So- his shock at that time was very real. I can easily believe his mind has shut it all down.

BTW- reading about his surgeries- I am not sure everyone realizes how horrible the procedure he went through was- the muscle bruising sounds what they call Compartment Syndrome- my son had this after being crushed between two forklifts...they literally have to fillet your muscles apart and leave them open while applying a vacuum device to it. I almost shut down when I even hear of it anymore after seeing it with a loved one.

As for the cause of the accident- it does sound to me that either falling asleep or texting could be one of the reasons. If texting- they will find out. I would assume this is fairly routine anymore. Even the insurance investigators will be looking for this as well. Keep in mind he was driving a vehicle that he did not own and was provided by a sponsor. They are going to do a huge amount of due diligence. Imagine if it was the fault of the vehicle they provided to him that ruins his billion dollar career...

Worked for me one morning when I fell asleep after working a double.
Same happened to my friend, NJSP, driving up the Parkway to work the Giants Super Bowl celebration. Very bad crash.
He was a regular at the White Bus tailgate in the Blue Lot.

No idea if the memory loss is real or fake but even without head trauma, the human body and mind does amazing things. The trauma he had with the leg, is horrific, sounds like he was in major shock at the scene as well...and there is no time to be pulling a fakeout when you have broken bones sticking out of the skin. So- his shock at that time was very real. I can easily believe his mind has shut it all down.

BTW- reading about his surgeries- I am not sure everyone realizes how horrible the procedure he went through was- the muscle bruising sounds what they call Compartment Syndrome- my son had this after being crushed between two forklifts...they literally have to fillet your muscles apart and leave them open while applying a vacuum device to it. I almost shut down when I even hear of it anymore after seeing it with a loved one.

As for the cause of the accident- it does sound to me that either falling asleep or texting could be one of the reasons. If texting- they will find out. I would assume this is fairly routine anymore. Even the insurance investigators will be looking for this as well. Keep in mind he was driving a vehicle that he did not own and was provided by a sponsor. They are going to do a huge amount of due diligence. Imagine if it was the fault of the vehicle they provided to him that ruins his billion dollar career...
Not saying memory loss without head trauma can’t happen.
I’m amazed someone can’t remember if they were cut off, avoiding something, or remember the moment of loss of control.
Has nothing to do with who the driver was, except that it wasn’t an elderly person or heart attack, stroke, seizure possiblity

Last edited:
Me at scene of MV accident in a snow storm with driver saying he doesn't 'know ' what happened;

"IF you tell me you don't know what happened, I'm required to give you a ticket for at least careless driving. IF you tell me you were avoiding a deer that ran in front of you, I can just check the animal in roadway box and you are free to go. Now, tell me one last time what happened ?"

"Trooper, there was a deer that ran across the road right in front of me and I tried to avoid it."

"Fine, you can to with the wrecker now"., me.
When I was in college, I was in an accident on a local interstate. I was driving on a section where the speed limit was 55. Slight rainy conditions.

A muscle car entered from an onramp. Was jacked up in the back with racing slicks on. He suddenly lost control and spun across the road into my lane. I braked but it happened so fast there was no time to avoid a collision. My car wound up facing the wrong way in the left lane, wrecked.

I told this to the trooper that showed up, including that I was driving 65 (like everyone else). He said the other kid verified my description and he wrote that kid several tickets. Seemed annoyed at that kid for some reason.

Before he left, he came up to me and said: "you were driving 55". I, stupidly, said, no officer, I was going 65. So he sighs and tries again. "YOU WERE DRIVING 55!."

Ah. Oh. Okay. Understood and thanks.

Guess I was still a bit shocked and also thinking how pissed my dad was going to be about his car which was clearly totaled. That's my excuse for being so slow on the uptake, at least. 🙂

Not sure why the trooper was looking out for me, but I was sure grateful.

[edit] I'll just add that, nowadays, I probably would've avoided that accident entirely. I'm far more aware and alert to all the possible things that can go wrong when driving than I was back at 18. I would see the car w/the racing slicks on the onramp in the rain and would've immediately braked before that car ever lost control. Wouldn't even have thought about it; it's instinctive these days.

Back then, I thought it was all about reflexes. Now I know better.

No injuries but Tiger = low priority to spend time investigating.
This. Cops out here aren’t doing anything anymore. Why? Cashless bail, DA throws everything out, it’s a waste of time. Had one cop tell me if someone comes and squats in your yard, don’t even bother calling us. We won’t do anything.

Police need a warrant to check his phone, which is likely damaged. Doubt they get one. He’s a celebrity, so they’ll sweep things under the rug, if possible. Plus there was no one else affected but himself. He was likely texting or speeding. Even if he wasn’t texting, that’s a difficult road to be speeding on, in a Hyundai SUV. He learned firsthand the SUV doesn’t handle like a car.
He probably rarely drives also

This. Cops out here aren’t doing anything anymore. Why? Cashless bail, DA throws everything out, it’s a waste of time. Had one cop tell me if someone comes and squats in your yard, don’t even bother calling us. We won’t do anything.

Will they write you a summons if you don't clean up after them?

My guess is that he dropped his phone and was reaching for it when he went off the road.

Reports that he sped out of the hotel after getting frustrated that a family was parked behind him unloading their car, and he was trying to get to a party with a bunch of NFL and NBA guys.

People hold celebrities in too high regard, so when they do something stupid, people and the press do everything possible to tear them apart.

There was no party. It was 7:15 in the morning. He was due to be at the course at 7:30 to film a series he's doing for Golf Digest, giving playing lessons to 3 "celebrities". He had done the same the day before with Dwayne Wade, David Spade, and Jada Pinckett Smith.

He probably rarely drives also
I don't know how much he drives but it just seems strange to me that he is at a Tournament as a Host and part of the agreement was to have a vehicle provided and that he is actually driving it himself to get to a photo shoot or whatever it was an hour away. On top of that, being 30 minutes late before he ever started.

This is a billion dollar property "Woods" I would guess that he has his own management/handlers/Asst's as well as "people" provided by the Tourny. First- how in hell did they allow him to be this late in the first place. Second- what in flaming hell is he doing driving himself?

It has nothing to do with the accident or what happened but it just seems so strange for someone of Wood's fame and magnitude

I don't know how much he drives but it just seems strange to me that he is at a Tournament as a Host and part of the agreement was to have a vehicle provided and that he is actually driving it himself to get to a photo shoot or whatever it was an hour away. On top of that, being 30 minutes late before he ever started.

This is a billion dollar property "Woods" I would guess that he has his own management/handlers/Asst's as well as "people" provided by the Tourny. First- how in hell did they allow him to be this late in the first place. Second- what in flaming hell is he doing driving himself?

It has nothing to do with the accident or what happened but it just seems so strange for someone of Wood's fame and magnitude
It really isn’t. Many celebrities like to drive themselves around. I see them all the time. His schedule is probably full of this type of thing every day. He’s just going to work. His team was meeting him there. And this is where he grew up. He knows his way around.

Agree with the OP. Tigers memory loss seems convenient.

Mushnick had a good Tiger column this week in the Post. We make excuses for Tigers behavior - we focus on Tiger not killing himself and forget he could have killed others with his poor decisions
A head injury or under the influence explains no memory of accident unless he is lying. I bet he lost consciousness and just doesn't realize it and came to before anyone got to him.

A head injury or under the influence explains no memory of accident unless he is lying. I bet he lost consciousness and just doesn't realize it and came to before anyone got to him.
Wouldn’t the loss of consciousness have to take place before the cause of the accident for him not to remember?
If in fact as reported, he received no head trauma?

It really isn’t. Many celebrities like to drive themselves around. I see them all the time. His schedule is probably full of this type of thing every day. He’s just going to work. His team was meeting him there. And this is where he grew up. He knows his way around.
My dad drove everywhere except airports

Wouldn’t the loss of consciousness have to take place before the cause of the accident for him not to remember?
If in fact as reported, he received no head trauma?
Most likely and sounds like he just fell asleep at the wheel. This would easily explain just about everything. Early morning, crossing over median and the other lane, getting into the accident with no sign of skid marks and no memory.

Most likely and sounds like he just fell asleep at the wheel. This would easily explain just about everything. Early morning, crossing over median and the other lane, getting into the accident with no sign of skid marks and no memory.
He had just left the hotel Yes?
Distractions are a major cause of accidents.
Everything from spilling hot coffee to texting

My dad drove everywhere except airports

Fans waiting by the players entrance trying to get autographs as they walked from their parking lot or back out after games. I'm going to guess it's still the same for any that don't live in Manhattan.

Per reports: No skiidmarks. Early morning. Late night. Connect the dots.. He fell asleep.

Most likely the case. Or he blacked out (but they didnt think he was under the influence), or as someone said, he got amnesia after talking with his lawyer.

Yeah but it’s Tiger Woods!!! So it’s automatic that he was popping X, drinking Patron, receiving front seat pleasure, and arguing with his agent over the phone... all at the same time!!!

I knew it!! And did he get the Patron from Bruce??

Fans waiting by the players entrance trying to get autographs as they walked from their parking lot or back out after games. I'm going to guess it's still the same for any that don't live in Manhattan.
Even on the road we were supplied with a limited number of courtesy cars so we had to share.
Those cars were snapped up immediately.

Hard to believe, every close call or accident I’ve ever been in, I remember exactly what happened, some without God and luck on my side would have been serious.
If he never lost consciousness, how does he not remember the cause, or the first moment of losing control?
I do not believe the accident was drug or alcohol related.
Maybe, texting related?
If you don’t hurt anyone else, what’s the penalty, and will authorities check his texting history at the time of the accident ?

If he took a shot to the head, which would seem likely, I could see him not remembering. Also there's legal and publicity based reasons to "not remember". When I was in HS my idiot friend driving us to school broke a telephone pole in half. I hit my head during the crash and flip and lost all memory of the previous week - which included the 1980 or 81 super bowl. (I can't remember which. HA!)

As to your questions - no one hurt but him so there's no serious jeopardy except for money - maybe the case could be made for insurance not paying out if he was found to be texting or something - but with Tiger's $$$ that not a worry either.

Worst thing to come out of it for Tiger is this almost certainly ends his chance at catching Jack's Majors Wins record.

Reactions: LETSGORU91

Fact he was speeding out of hotel parking lot does not suggest he suddenly feel asleep. Certainly sounds more like distracted driving.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
If he took a shot to the head, which would seem likely, I could see him not remembering. Also there's legal and publicity based reasons to "not remember". When I was in HS my idiot friend driving us to school broke a telephone pole in half. I hit my head during the crash and flip and lost all memory of the previous week - which included the 1980 or 81 super bowl. (I can't remember which. HA!)

As to your questions - no one hurt but him so there's no serious jeopardy except for money - maybe the case could be made for insurance not paying out if he was found to be texting or something - but with Tiger's $$$ that not a worry either.

Worst thing to come out of it for Tiger is this almost certainly ends his chance at catching Jack's Majors Wins record.
I’m thinking Ben Hogan like remarkable recovery, he’s older but he’s got until he’s 50 to win another major.
I Think blow to head would have been acknowledged in Doctors statement Screw

I’m thinking Ben Hogan like remarkable recovery, he’s older but he’s got until he’s 50 to win another major.
I Think blow to head would have been acknowledged in Doctors statement Screw

It's amazing to think Hogan won 3 majors before the accident but won 6 majors in the 4 years afterwards, including 3 of 4 US Opens.

I guess not entering the tour full time unti 1938 and missing 2 years during WWII had something to do with that

Last edited:
Reactions: zappaa
It's amazing to think Hogan won 3 majors before the accident but won 6 majors in the 4 years afterwards, including 3 of 4 US Opens.

I guess not entering the tour full time unti 1938 and missing 2 years during WWII had something to do with that
Legs were crushed, very similar.
They didn’t know whether Ben was going to walk again, much less play golf.

Tiger got amnesia after speaking with his attorney.
Agree with the OP. Tigers memory loss seems convenient.

Mushnick had a good Tiger column this week in the Post. We make excuses for Tigers behavior - we focus on Tiger not killing himself and forget he could have killed others with his poor decisions

Apparently it isn't all that unusual. From Smithonian Magazine and Scientific America several years back....

"The same mechanisms that kept his brain sharp enough to escape immediate danger may also make it harder for both to recall the accident, and to put the trauma behind him. “The normal thing is that the person doesn’t remember the moment of the accident or right after,” says clinical psychologist Javier Rodriguez Escobar of trauma therapy team Grupo Isis in Seville…That’s because the mind and the body enter a more alert but also more stressed state, with trade-offs that can save your life, but harm your mind’s memory-making abilities."

Why Can’t Accident Victims Remember What Happened to Them? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine

Apparently it isn't all that unusual. From Smithonian Magazine and Scientific America several years back....

"The same mechanisms that kept his brain sharp enough to escape immediate danger may also make it harder for both to recall the accident, and to put the trauma behind him. “The normal thing is that the person doesn’t remember the moment of the accident or right after,” says clinical psychologist Javier Rodriguez Escobar of trauma therapy team Grupo Isis in Seville…That’s because the mind and the body enter a more alert but also more stressed state, with trade-offs that can save your life, but harm your mind’s memory-making abilities."

Why Can’t Accident Victims Remember What Happened to Them? | Smart News | Smithsonian Magazine
Good stuff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT