ADVERTISEMENT

OT: UNC Scandal "Judgment Day" is Friday the 13th

So you can't back up saying this: "Eddie Lacy has been heard bragging that never attended a class. One more Dwayne Jarrett never attended a class at USC" and trying to weasel your way out of doing what I asked or admitting you were just spreading a rumor you heard.
Glad you are admitting Paterno and the Penn St administration covered up for Sandusky because: "COLLEGE ATHLETICS IS A BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY and UNIVERSITIES WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN."
But don't be spreading rumors about Lacey and Jarrett never attended a class
at Bama and USC. Your angry reply to my calling you on your lie proves you can't back up what you claimed by changing it to "Attending class is a very small component of getting a passing grade!! " and adding other elements it takes to earn a degree.
Enough with the BS about other aspects involved and prove what you said.
>The most idiotic statement known to mankind is "did they ever attend classes" ?< Not true: the most idiotic statement is claiming they didn't attend classes without being able to prove they didn't ,when asked .:chairshot:
Ok they didn't go to class. Dwayne was put on acedemic probation at USC and Lacy left Alabama under similar circumstances. Believe what you want.

Last edited:
Ok they didn't go to class. Dwayne was put on acedemic probation at USC and Lacy left Alabama under similar circumstances. Believe what you want.

So if they were on academic probation, does that mean the rest of the guys are not, go to class?

You claimed : "Lacey and Jarrett never attended a class"
Enough with the whining and crying , just admit you were talking out of your butt .

Reactions: MR RU
It's not conjecture. Roughly 7 years ago LSU stiffened up their admission standards just a skosh to try and clean up the program a little bit. At the time a superstar RB named Eddie Lacy was recruited by LSU but he did not qualify academically so Nick Saban & Alabama stepped in and recruited him. Eddie Lacy has been heard bragging that never attended a class. One more Dwayne Jarrett never attended a class at USC. In college basketball these instances are exponentially worse.
For some reason I don't think most of the kids in Big Time programs are going to class. I believe that there are work around situations but there is no way these kids are attending classes and passing. I hope I'm wrong.
Your original post stated, "For some reason I don't think most of the kids in Big Time programs are going to class." In my book, two does not constitute "most" when we are talking college scholarship student athletes. Come on man, admit you were over the top with your statement.

Your original post stated, "For some reason I don't think most of the kids in Big Time programs are going to class." In my book, two does not constitute "most" when we are talking college scholarship student athletes. Come on man, admit you were over the top with your statement.
Allow me to educate. In the last decade or two, elite High school basketball players have decided to attend High Schools with nothing more than a P.O.Box, aka diploma mills. These schools teach nothing, yet graduate their students with grades that qualify them to attend 30% of colleges. By the way, the 30% that really matter (hint hint). If there is an investigation because of a disgruntled parent whose kid got hurt or did not make it in their first year of college the schools miraculously disappears, but another one always seems to pop up—This year alone 25 of the "Super" elite athletes in the country who 15 of which are projected to be first round draft picks in the 2019 NBA draft are attending high schools that did not exist five years ago. Does this sound remotely similar to what happened at UNC? So this is your quiz for today. Read what I wrote and tell me in three sentences or less if I'm right or wrong.

Last edited:
COLLEGE ATHLETICS IS A BILLION DOLLAR INDUSTRY and UNIVERSITIES WILL DO WHATEVER IT TAKES TO WIN.
Ahhh, good for perspective.
Kids get paid six digits under the table to attend a school. Kids are somehow never seen in class, but they drive around campus in 80k SUVs...while coming from destitute families. Coach rakes in 1M+ in murky athletic apparel deals. Hookers are hired to entice recruits. Fake classes created by the academic support team are offered to help bolster athletes' grades.

Then there's us. Coach dresses incognito to meet an associate professor to UNSUCCESSFULLY seek an opportunity for a kid to do makeup work to boost his grade. And ya wonder why we suck so bad.

Wow

Really disappointing as this seems to get at the heart of making a mockery of the 'student' part of 'student-athlete'. So the formula is now in...push a few other kids through bogus classes and you can get away with anything for athletes.

Ahhh, good for perspective.
Kids get paid six digits under the table to attend a school. Kids are somehow never seen in class, but they drive around campus in 80k SUVs...while coming from destitute families. Coach rakes in 1M+ in murky athletic apparel deals. Hookers are hired to entice recruits. Fake classes created by the academic support team are offered to help bolster athletes' grades.

Then there's us. Coach dresses incognito to meet an associate professor to UNSUCCESSFULLY seek an opportunity for a kid to do makeup work to boost his grade. And ya wonder why we suck so bad.
Your reference to Kyle Flood was brilliant when comparing infractions. This is why Rutgers is Rutgers. By the way, truly a great post!

Last edited:
Reactions: RUSK97
The NCAA knows its place and will never upset a multi billion dollar industry like college basketball. Good for UNC and congratulations to them on a hard earned National Championship. Now let's see how the NCAA makes out with Rick Petino and Louisville.

Called this from day 1. This wasn't an athletic scandal. It was an academic scandal within the university.

Unfortunately NCAA is right, imo.

Reactions: RU31trap
It's good to be the king. “While student-athletes likely benefited from the so-called ‘paper courses’ offered by North Carolina, the information available in the record did not establish that the courses were solely created, offered and maintained as an orchestrated effort to benefit student-athletes,” said Greg Sankey, the panel’s chief hearing officer and commissioner of the Southeastern Conference.

Go Heels! Go NCAA!

Called this from day 1. This wasn't an athletic scandal. It was an academic scandal within the university.

Great!!!! So it is allowed for athletes to have no show classes and still be eligible as long as there are some civilians.

Great!!!! So it is allowed for athletes to have no show classes and still be eligible as long as there are some civilians.

Yes.

It would be an NCAA violation if ONLY athletes were allowed. NCAA is only concerned about athletics. But this was a University wide scandal benefiting all students. Hence an academic scandal.

So now, as long as universities make sure to give cash payments to a few non-athlete students at the same time they are paying recruits, they should be able to avoid NCAA penalty because under the UNC precedent athletes weren't the only ones who benefited?

Reactions: rubigtimenow
So now, as long as universities make sure to give cash payments to a few non-athlete students at the same time they are paying recruits, they should be able to avoid NCAA penalty because under the UNC precedent athletes weren't the only ones who benefited?

No. NCAA doesn't allow recruits to get paid. That's a violation.

Yes.

It would be an NCAA violation if ONLY athletes were allowed. NCAA is only concerned about athletics. But this was a University wide scandal benefiting all students. Hence an academic scandal.
As if the UNC brain trust didn't anticipate this when creating these courses. Everything here was planned and executed meticulously right down to the final detail.

LOL. It's like the criminal telling law enforcement what to do.
Sheriff: You are under arrest and will have to go to jail.
Criminal: No I am not.
Sheriff: Yes you are.
Criminal: I don't really have time for this right now. I have to count all of my money from years of robbing banks.
Sheriff: How about next week?
Criminal: I'll get back to you on that. Talk to you later.
Sheriff: OK. Sounds good.
Sorry, had to finish the conversation for you...
Sheriff: Is this a good time to arrest you now?
Criminal: Naw, not too convenient. But tell you what. I didn't commit a crime, so you should just leave. I still have more money to count.
Sheriff: Really sorry to take time from your money counting. You're right. You did nothing wrong.
Criminal: Wanna help me count this money? If a few notes disappear from the table, I don't know where it went.
Sheriff: Really? Yeah, sure. But right after doing this, I gotta go arrest Louisville.
Criminal: Yeah? What'd they do?
Sheriff: They told me they didn't do anything either. But I gotta look like I'm doing something.

They aren't, though. The NCAA only has jurisdiction over the athletes. The only important questions for the NCAA is whether the UNC athletes were fulfilling the NCAA requirements for a student athlete and if not why. That's all that matters.

The "did other students besides athletes benefit", or "was the program set up only for athletes" standards were invented by the NCAA as a way to justify letting a cash cow program skate.

Reactions: RURM85
The key is to duplicate the UNC formula: set up a core of fake classes and be sure to admit 51% of non-student-athletes into them. Academic Exceptions? No problem. You get an "A." Congrats.

unbelievable.
UNC wrote the decision for them. Fake classes in a fake department created for the football and basketball players-but some athletes shared the news with their frat brothers, some of whom got in on the fake stuff, so it's not an athletic scandal!!!
All colleges should now be offering fake, no show, no test classes. Hell, they should be advertising it. Get a college degree-without trying!

The key is to duplicate the UNC formula: set up a core of fake classes and be sure to admit 51% of non-student-athletes into them. Academic Exceptions? No problem. You get an "A." Congrats.

Pretty much. Lol.

However in sure NCAA will formulate new laws against this happening again.

While the NCAA is on solid ground in saying that this was a "university / entire student body" issue and was not specifically configured to favor athletes ...

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that if a University with lesser prominence, lesser clout were to have placed itself in the same circumstances - the outcome would have been more like :

"While the underling issue is a university-wide academic integrity problem, the NCAA is focused on the specifics of Intercollegiate Athletics and complice with the regulations. The NCAA finds that XYZ University's Athletic Department has demonstrated serious deficiencies in terms of creating and maintaining a fully compliant atmosphere. Efforts to specifically oversee the athletes's required academic progress were insufficient and in many instances have been shown to be willfully negligent - and with the obvious intention of circumventing scholastic progress & performance requirements through the utilization of sham courses."

... and the punishment would have been monumental! - but because Sacred Cows are not to be sacrificed... we get this no-call.

This is why RU will never be a big time athletic school. You have to cheat to win, and if you get caught you have to defend yourself. UNC and PSU circled the wagons when they got caught and eventually the NCAA folded.

Reactions: MozRU
You claimed : "Lacey and Jarrett never attended a class"
Enough with the whining and crying , just admit you were talking out of your butt .
Madhat: The NCAA decision vindicated me as well as UNC. I said that most college BB players as well as some FB players at big time programs do not attend classes. I knew that the NCAA was going to be outmaneuvered by a terrific academic institution like UNC. What hurt is the way you blatantly attacked me and my (Pulitzer Prize winning) posts. Now be a man and acknowledge publicly that I was not talking out of my (you know what) and that I was correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT