ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Where Did You Do Your Internship, and How Was It?

RutgersRaRa

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Mar 21, 2011
I'll start, as always.

Mine was at the NJ Ethics Commission in Trenton in '90-'91, and was unpaid. I was a double major--Philosophy, and Criminal Justice, and had to get in an internship to graduate. I did six credits at the Ethics Commission, and the guy at the Commission who was responsible for monitoring my hours was a good dude. The Commission was mostly a joke, and the funding may have been pulled shortly after I finished my internship (the threat was looming over the Commission the final three months I was there). But the notion of ethics and politics makes me laugh a lot harder now than it did then.

Whatchya got?

Last edited:
Reactions: gigantor1024
Morgan's Green Houses, Hackettstown, 7th /8th grade, loading boxes of flowers onto trucks at Easter time.

Fresh year HS- Pumping gas at Hess on Rte 46 Hackettstown, summer of Man lands on Moon, Woodstock, Manson Murders and Mets World Series run. Great summer.

Soph- Junior HS years- Hackettstown Nursery, building railroad tie retaining walls in Lake Mohawk, got me in shape for football

Senior year HS- Bridge Operator/Ticket clerk- Penn Central Railroad
College- Railroad Conductor for Penn C RR, Conrail, Amtrak and NJ Transist over 10 years.

2 years as Financial Analyst of NJ Transit.

After spending my first three summers “interning” as a walk-on for RU football, I hung up the cleats and got an internship for Senator Bill Bradley in Washington DC in the summer of 1993, before my senior year. One of the best summers of my life. I got 3 or 6 credits for the internship, since it was affiliated with a summer internship program called the Washington Center and Eagleton.

I learned a lot about politics, happy hour buffets and female interns.

NJ Dept of Environmental Protection. Trenton. My neighbor worked there but had no decision in getting me in but ended up working in his unit. I drew flood planes on maps which were used to figure out who paid flood insurance. We also built several real sand dunes where I grew up in Lavallette. All 4 of the dunes withstood Sandy and saved the north end of the town. Not one beach house was damaged. My friend years later became the head of the NJDEP

Last edited:
After spending my first three summers “interning” as a walk-on for RU football, I hung up the cleats and got an internship for Senator Bill Bradley in Washington DC in the summer of 1993, before my senior year. One of the best summers of my life. I got 3 or 6 credits for the internship, since it was affiliated with a summer internship program called the Washington Center and Eagleton.

I learned a lot about politics, happy hour buffets and female interns.
000-1007140447-christopher-walken-cut-of-your-jib.jpg

Rutgers Child Day Hospital on Busch. I was working with kids who had very serious psychological issues - they tried to kill their parents, burn their house down etc. These were ELEMENTARY age kids whose behavior was so bad that we ran a token economy where they were rewarded for good behavior every 15 mins. I was a psych major and wanted to become a school psychologist, but I discovered that the kids loved working on the computer in the building (an Apple IIe). I used to write computer programs as a hobby, so I wrote some custom math games for the kids. They really responded to them, so I switched career goals and went to grad school for computer education, and I’ve been working in that field for over 30 years.

RaRa also wants your mom's maiden name, the name of your first pet, your high school mascot, your first concert....

Back to his old tricks. He's been assembling data for years. "Whatchya got?"

Beware the RaRa....

I have a nephew who is interning at one of the major accounting companies this Summer. Some kids are offered jobs by the end of August. Hoping he may be one of them. Seems to like the work, although he knows the hours are different for interns. I have heard some accountants work insane hours during certain parts of the year, without the benefit of overtime pay.

Does internship count as first job? check- we already know everyone's first car. check- what is next, what was first dog and it's name? Maybe a sly question like "where did your mother's family immigrate from and did she have a really ethnic last name and what was it? Who was your best friend growing up? lol

But to answer your OT...I didnt get the chance to intern but since I was hired directly out of HS by IBM at age 18, I guess that could count. It paid like an internship at $6 an hour...lol

When I was at Rutgers GSBA in Newark I interviewed for an internship with a few of the Big 8 accounting firms (yes I'm that old and there used to be 8 of them) but didn't get hired. I blame not getting hired on the blue plaid suit that I wore to the interviews. I should have dressed like a funeral director instead of like Herb Tarkick from WKRP. My wife still mocks that suit.

PANYNJ / Engineering Div for JFK Intl Arpt
South Tower of WTC, 73rd Floor (every other week, a few days out in the construction/field office at the airport)
Summer of '94

Walked over to Canyon of Heroes for the Rangers' Stanley Cup ticker tape parade. Alas, no Knicks parade that summer.

Reactions: RutgersRaRa
There weren't enough internships to go around that satisfied Cook's co-op education requirement, so the school counted our Synoptic Meteorology class as our internship. Of course now the RU mets make forecasts for RU tv and radio, stuff we wished we had back in the day.

I interned for Baseball Prospectus my senior year. Did a lot of work for Kevin Goldstein, who was their minor league/prospect guru at the time and is now the Director of Pro Scouting for the Houston Astros. If the timing had worked out better I'd have bugged him for a job by then I had graduated and had my job here.

For undergrad, my internship was at United Jersey Bank right on Challenger BLvd in Ridgefield Park.
Learned all about mortgages documents like titles.

For grad school I interned at Microsoft in Fort Lauderdale. For the first week, I went to Bellevue Washington for training, and even visited the Redmond campus. The University of Miami’s career development office helped me get this internship, which set me up for the balance of my professional career, so I’ll always be thankful to them.

For undergrad, my internship was at United Jersey Bank right on Challenger BLvd in Ridgefield Park.
Learned all about mortgages documents like titles.

For grad school I interned at Microsoft in Fort Lauderdale. For the first week, I went to Bellevue Washington for training, and even visited the Redmond campus. The University of Miami’s career development office helped me get this internship, which set me up for the balance of my professional career, so I’ll always be thankful to them.
Where did you pick up your musical talents...lol sorry, couldn’t resist!

In 2 weeks my nephew will finish his internship with the US Attorney's Office. No idea if it's the norm but he's already been offered and accepted an internship with a big firm headquartered in NYC for next Summer.

Internship? No time !
Entered Basic training at Fort Bragg NC at 18 years old. Married at 23. Purchased 1st house at 25, 2nd at 26.
First child born at 27. Purchased 3rd house at 30. Second child born at 31.
Purchased 4th and last house at age 34.
Forgot to mention, at 13 went away to boarding school for 2 years.
College? Nah, life just got in the way.

Internship? No time !
Entered Basic training at Fort Bragg NC at 18 years old. Married at 23. Purchased 1st house at 25, 2nd at 26.
First child born at 27. Purchased 3rd house at 30. Second child born at 31.
Purchased 4th and last house at age 34.
Forgot to mention, at 13 went away to boarding school for 2 years.
College? Nah, life just got in the way.

Slacker:)

Nice ‘80’s reference

Great show tremendous cast

Wife and I were watching Showtime's 'City on a Hill' Sunday. A scene was set in a Boston hospital in the 1990s, The PA in the background paged Drs. Wesphall and Fiscus and Nurse Papandreau to the ER. All were St. Elsewhere characters. Pretty funny.

@MrsScrew's youngest daughter is doing a bit at the VA in Baltimore as a pharmacist (in training IIRC). I'll let her fill in the details and likely corrections...

RaRa also wants your mom's maiden name, the name of your first pet, your high school mascot, your first concert....

Back to his old tricks. He's been assembling data for years. "Whatchya got?"

Beware the RaRa....
After assembling the data and boiling it down to one metric, I've got the last concert everyone and his/her mother and high school mascot attended with their deceased hamster. Prada and Ferrari have me on retainer.

well.......

she's at the VA in Baltimore doing one of her clinical rotations during her last year of pharmacy school at UMD School of Pharmacy.

she hopes to do a pharmacy internship at Lancaster General Hospital next year.

@RUScrew85 was close.
Not as close as a hole in one. He has a higher standard to live up to these days! Especially since we have to hear about it ....every....single...day!
:WideSmile:

I quit CERN after they thought they found the Higgs Boson. Pshaw.
We were looking around for you for days until someone mentioned you'd left. Weird, though--the God Particle has been missing since right about the time you left. On the bright side we discovered A TON of dark matter, so we let it go.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Accounting Intern at the Hyatt in NB. Work was easy and I learned a couple of things - hotel staff fool around with each other everywhere in the hotel, hotels don't pay well, a lot of stealing in hotels, and a lot of out-of-their-mind guests.

I did my internship in Washington Square Park. It was great, other than the occasional run-in with the cops or with angry John's who'd had their wallets lifted.

Ironically, the name of the guy I was interning with was Little John. At least that's what all the girls called him. He was like 7 feet tall. A legend on the NYC pick-up basketball circuit. Which is how I got the internship.

He needed somebody he could trust to watch over the girls, and keep an eye on the kids running the baggies to the cars, while he played basketball on the lower-East side.

But I learned a lot from him. How to always treat the girls with respect. The importance of getting along with law enforcement. The proper way to cut an eight-ball.

Without him, I wouldn't be the great success I am today.

RURich, if you know any kids interested in Meteorology, Rutgers will hold a Meteorology Open House for prospective students on October 4. At the SEBS/Cook campus. More information at Meteorology.rutgers.edu.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT