ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Who was the poster who vacationed in Spanish wine country last fall?

Tuscany is in Italy, right?

For the price of those houses on @MrsScrew's link, I immediately think of the ridiculous boats I could buy with that kind of money.

I purposely looked for expensive houses. Only way I am getting to buy a house in Italy is by winning the lottery so I'm going to think expensive. Plus, the lesser priced houses usually need a LOT of reno and I've watched enough HGTV to know that never goes easy in the Italian countryside.

I purposely looked for expensive houses. Only way I am getting to buy a house in Italy is by winning the lottery so I'm going to think expensive. Plus, the lesser priced houses usually need a LOT of reno and I've watched enough HGTV to know that never goes easy in the Italian countryside.

Well, your man has expressed an interest in spending some time aboard my retirement yacht, once I buy it. I suppose you could maybe come visit.

some experience here, regarding Italy or Spain. Been 5x to Italy since ‘89 totaling about 10-11 weeks and once to Spain for 3 weeks. Go Italy and go often.

First, order a Rick Steves book off Amazon and read it. It looks like alot but you can skip pages on cities u not interested and hotel and restaurant recs, until you get to booking. Lots of great info. I cross reference Rick Steves to find areas of town i want to stay with Trip Advisor to find hotel.

Second, GO TO VENICE! Get lost as u cant fall off the islands. Its like disneyland for adults. oh, think about going in Late Aug or Sept, flights are cheaper and there are less tourist. Book yourself a flight to Venice, 3-4 days, train to Florence, 3-4 day, day trip to tuscany wine country, train/bus/tour to Siena, or wine tour to Montecino, Montepulciano etc.
Train to Rome, i like to stay in the area between colosium and Spanish steps. Rick steves has walking tours online that u can dowload onto your phone so you no pay 9 euros to rent the crappy tour on a fon thingy that is probably out of sequence. Think about a day trip to Pompeii, (also a RS self guided audio tour). Start there and email me if u need more. bobzilla@hotmail.com

I have a topic related question.

The wife and I are thinking of heading to Europe in the beginning of June. I'm torn between Italy (looking at the Florence region and taking some day trips) or Spain (no specific region as of yet). I've never been to either country and would love visit both. Typically my wife and I stay pretty active. We like to see cultural/historic sites and we are very much into food and wine. We don't spend a lot of down time when on a foreign vacation. So any opinions on Italy vs. Spain?

Italy for sure. No slight on Spain, but the food and wine in Italy are tremendous, great sightseeing, and Italians like American. No need to apologize about where you come from.

I vacationed in Rias Biaxas in NW and traveled the Atlantic coast down to Porto. Very beautiful, great beaches, arguably the best seafood I've ever had, and the Albariño was delicious as are Godello and other native varieties . Portuguese dry reds are gaining well deserved credit and recognition and they're very cheap. But what made Rias Baixas particularly interesting is there is significant Celtic cultural influences inicoastal NW spain, so it's a remarkably unique part of the country .

Reactions: RUSK97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT