ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Why Do So Many Young Americans Hate Sports?"

I just couldn't get through this thread. If some of you haven't noticed, kids are participating in so many different things now that they end up just burning out. They don't seem to be participating because they love these sports and other activities but because their parents either don't have baby sitters or the parents want to live through their kids. I have neighbors who have kids that are 8-10 and they have dance, karate, soccer, lacross, swimming etc and never home. And then once they are home, they go to their separate areas to log onto tic tok or something else.

So- yes, they participate but becoming an avid fan is usually something that is shared, either with family or friends. You also no longer have that die hard one team fan, they are so into betting and fantasy that ithas become something completely different.
You are right with the living their life thru their kids. My oldest plays hoops yr round with AAU. 2 separate trainers and HS but I ask her everytime if she wants to play and her answer is always yes even when her mood swings the other way and she says otherwise. I give her a day and she grabs me and says let's go shoot...I go shoot...here will never be an I'm too tired on my end. I question her often. Girls are much more volatile than boys. She asks me to go the the gyn to get extra shooting in not the other way around. I know other parents much more crazy with their kids that you scratch your head

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
The actual study and report are a lot more interesting and informative than the half-assed reporting that was based on somebody else's summary.

Reactions: Scarlet1984
Did you read the part where 27% of Generation Z "ACTIVELY DISLIKE" sports, compared to the previous two generations which hovers between 5%and 7%? Again it's not just watching, if you actively dislike something, you're not going through an organization or on your own time to do it.

That's a supposition. Typically there's a reason you dislike something. The article mentioned kids basically burning out from the hyper-competitive, overly focused nature of today's travel sports. I'd think that would be a big driver for actively disliking sports.

Also only anecdotal, but I have never had a problem like that with the young people I‘ve hired.

Neither has anyone in this thread. They just parrot anecdotal nonsense they heard secondhand because it makes them feel tough. Nevermind that we have actual cokeheads and drunks in this thread crapping on kids today because they don't love watching Football all weekend.

Reactions: rutgersdave
You are right with the living their life thru their kids. My oldest plays hoops yr round with AAU. 2 separate trainers and HS but I ask her everytime if she wants to play and her answer is always yes even when her mood swings the other way and she says otherwise. I give her a day and she grabs me and says let's go shoot...I go shoot...here will never be an I'm too tired on my end. I question her often. Girls are much more volatile than boys. She asks me to go the the gyn to get extra shooting in not the other way around. I know other parents much more crazy with their kids that you scratch your head
It is funny- I see many parents pushing their kids so hard, be on a team, get a personal trainer, speed training, camps, etc...and then being jackasses during games. And all the while- they are 'pushing' their kids, in hopes that they develop into a "next level" player. And yet, the next level players, are the ones that you don't have to push.

Reactions: RU205
The Economist, the British newsmagazine, reports that the number of overweight kids world-wide is expected next year to exceed the number of underweight kids. (The article uses "obese" and "overweight" synonymously, but my guess is they mean overweight kids (BMI of over 25) rather than obese (BMI of over 30) Almost half these overweight kids are in Asia, but that makes some sense because Asia accounts for 60% of the world's population. What's harder to understand is that Africa, with about 13% of the world's population, has about a quarter of the overweight kids. The number of overweight kids has sharply increased since the start of the pandemic, and it's thought the reason is that kids are staying home and eating rather than being active outside. While childhood obesity is concentrated in low-income families in rich countries, it is middle-class kids who are obese in poor countries.

• Wow
Reactions: redking
It is funny- I see many parents pushing their kids so hard, be on a team, get a personal trainer, speed training, camps, etc...and then being jackasses during games. And all the while- they are 'pushing' their kids, in hopes that they develop into a "next level" player. And yet, the next level players, are the ones that you don't have to push.

I try to give people some slack, but it really is ridiculous. It's easy as a parent to get caught up, especially in the social media age where mom and dad get a high off posting about junior's latest accomplishments. Important always to keep in mind the big picture that it's supposed to be fun.

As is always the case when discussing generational differences, the same people in the “older” generation complaining about the “younger” generation’s moral deficiencies seem to forget that THEY actually raised the younger generation.

Literally every whiner on this board either raised a millennial or Gen Z kid...or thankfully for us in many cases, raised no children. But their kids are perfect, and everyone else's are the problem. Little Johnny or Susie played 10 sports, has no student loan debt (but don't worry Mom and Dad really pushed them to be an electrician or plumber, their kid was the exceptional one deserving of college and grad school), never looks at their phone, has the "right" political views identical to mom and dad, only listens to music made before the Cold War ended, never took a vacation, etc.

So says the people who paid three cents in college tuition, bought homes for under 100k at 22 in areas where they're now worth 10x that, who got angry when their parents told them to turn down the hippie Beatles and who need to kill time on this board between cashing their massive pension checks. Oh, those stereotypes are untrue and unfair?

Just one question

Who raising Gen Z?

Is it boomers and Xers or is it a pack of wolves hellbent on forcing them to use TikTok and play video games?

Based on the responses in this thread, it must be the latter, because it surely wouldn't be the generation of "personal responsibility" who would talk this way about their own children. Right?

And given that, who the heck cares? RU has a top notch recruiting class and clearly young kids want to play here. Given your perfect children, what's it to you?

As a millennial this obsession is just hilarious to watch. My personal favorite is when the boomers call 22 year olds millennials. That and when you see the Boomers and Xers realize Gen Z is everything you hate(d) about us multiplied exponentially. And who raised us? Oh yeah I forgot the pack of wolves.

A lot of you seem to think being a sports fan means also not playing sports.

I stopped watching the NFL over a decade ago, and I only watch Rutgers sports. I do not even know if I would consider myself an avid sports fan. I watch more film of the sports I coach, or have coached, than I do the actual games.

I stopped watching sports because I can not stand people who think they understand sports. It has ruined watching sports live for me.

I also hate commercials.

Reactions: RU205 and mildone
Literally every whiner on this board either raised a millennial or Gen Z kid...or thankfully for us in many cases, raised no children. But their kids are perfect, and everyone else's are the problem. Little Johnny or Susie played 10 sports, has no student loan debt (but don't worry Mom and Dad really pushed them to be an electrician or plumber, their kid was the exceptional one deserving of college and grad school), never looks at their phone, has the "right" political views identical to mom and dad, only listens to music made before the Cold War ended, never took a vacation, etc.

So says the people who paid three cents in college tuition, bought homes for under 100k at 22 in areas where they're now worth 10x that, who got angry when their parents told them to turn down the hippie Beatles and who need to kill time on this board between cashing their massive pension checks. Oh, those stereotypes are untrue and unfair?

Sufferin' Stereotype, Sylvester.

That's a supposition. Typically there's a reason you dislike something. The article mentioned kids basically burning out from the hyper-competitive, overly focused nature of today's travel sports. I'd think that would be a big driver for actively disliking sports.

Adults pleasing adults. And I think a case can be made that the year 'round concentration on a single sport is not in the best interest of the kid in the long term.

Reactions: mildone and fsg2
Adults pleasing adults. And I think a case can be made that the year 'round concentration on a single sport is not in the best interest of the kid in the long term.

I agree. I'd much rather kids have a broad mix of sports and activities throughout the year, both competitive and non.

I'd hate a given sport, too, if I was forced to play it all year.

Stopped the yelling nonsense back in 6th grade didnt take too long to figure out she plays better w/o my big mouth. Funny after you stop you see all the parents that dont and you realize you looked like a horses ass. I'm neutral at games I dont really cheer or act negatively. She gets a great hustle, great cut. Great defense, good shot. I leave all the cheering to my wife. I'm there to high five her after, go over the good & the bad and rebound for all her extra shooting sessions she drags me too. Then we get to the obligatory ass kicking she gives me in one o one. Cant keep up with her anymore. I try not to muscle her down a little unfair we have fun and call it a day
We used to shoot the extra sessions together now I'm the steady rebounder & game speed passer. I will say Friday was pretty cool there were at least 100 boys at her team courts 4 of them. Her coach cleared out a 1/2 court for us only and kicked everyone off so we could work on her shooting 8pm to 10pm Made her feel pretty special which at the end of the day is all these kids are looking for

Last edited:
It's all about gaming and gambling. That is the real American sports today.
Without gambling, football would be dead.
Without gambling, all we would be watching is HS sports.

Some time ago, @zappaa commented that his dad encouraged him to play all sports and not focus on one. If anybody is going to push his kid to emphasize one sport, it would be a major league baseball star. So I am impressed that @zappaa's dad saw the importance of giving his son a well-rounded experience. Just one more reason to admire Yogi Berra.

Some time ago, @zappaa commented that his dad encouraged him to play all sports and not focus on one. If anybody is going to push his kid to emphasize one sport, it would be a major league baseball star. So I am impressed that @zappaa's dad saw the importance of giving his son a well-rounded experience. Just one more reason to admire Yogi Berra.
He's 100% right but at the same time unless you specialize in 1 you dont get the PT you would otherwise if you font commit to 1. Luckily my daughter loves hoops. The only other thing she liked was crew she did private lessons on the passaic in rutherford and loved it but anything other than 100% commit in all types of weather is not accepted
I'm a baseball guy an wanted her to play softball she'd was really good but it bored her. If she had her way she'd play football and QB lol. She can sling it 40yds

Reactions: retired711
I think we can both verify with an "affirmative" more authoritatively than most. 😄
I mean, it's really hard to not be condescending when I'm so very much better than everybody else. 😃

In all seriousness, arrogance and/or condescension in others has never bothered me. Perhaps because it almost always provides such a great target for mockery and humor.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Exactly, everyone gets a participation trophy, and they think winning is for everyone.

Except it's the adults who initiated that and hand those things out who get the warm fuzzies.

Kids learn pretty quickly to not give af about a lame, meaningless trinket and definitely not to equate it to winning anything ...unless it's actually a first place trophy, MVP award or the like.

Makes a good talking point for guilt-plagued boomers, tho.

He probably moved from NJ to Maryland.
That must be it. He was tired of all those MD participation trophies and heard that NJ's participation trophies are way better.

Well, he's earned himself a "I Participated In The Grumpy Old Man Thread" trophy. So congrats to him. In this thread, everybody's a winner!

Except it's the adults who initiated that and hand those things out who get the warm fuzzies.

Kids learn pretty quickly to not give af about a lame, meaningless trinket and definitely not to equate it to winning anything ...unless it's actually a first place trophy, MVP award or the like.

Makes a good talking point for guilt-plagued boomers, tho.
Ooooh, the grumps aren't gonna like having you turn it around on them like that.

This is 100% true.

So- yes, they participate but becoming an avid fan is usually something that is shared, either with family or friends. You also no longer have that die hard one team fan, they are so into betting and fantasy that it has become something completely different.
This and free agency.

Never understood the whole "fantasy" thing. Just not my bag.

At one point could name all 53 Giants and what schools they went to. Probably their draft round too.

Same for the Mets...could name all 25.

Now? LOL

The sports events/games are too long to keep the attention of just about anyone these days unless you plant your ass on the couch all weekend. Too long…too many commercials…too many grown men playing sports for a living that think they are holier than God. I won’t watch the NBA after that loud-mouth Lebron constantly rips this country a new one, only to bow down to those sneaker-buying communists in China. He only cares about one thing and that’s who’s gonna write him the biggest check. Otherwise, instead of riding around in Bentley’s wearing a crown he’d donate his fortune to the inner cities.
Ah, the classic oxymoron, "sneaker-buying communists."

He's 100% right but at the same time unless you specialize in 1 you dont get the PT you would otherwise if you font commit to 1. Luckily my daughter loves hoops. The only other thing she liked was crew she did private lessons on the passaic in rutherford and loved it but anything other than 100% commit in all types of weather is not accepted
I'm a baseball guy an wanted her to play softball she'd was really good but it bored her. If she had her way she'd play football and QB lol. She can sling it 40yds
That is one of the things that have changed. Now, unless you are fully committed to a travel team, it is very difficult to make that specific sport. And being on travel takes away the time you would normally spend playing other sports.
For most of us, if you were a good athlete, you played every sport you could and usually started on each team. Now, it takes a truly natural gifted athlete to star in mult sports.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT