ADVERTISEMENT

OT: "Why Do So Many Young Americans Hate Sports?"

Except it's the adults who initiated that and hand those things out who get the warm fuzzies.
think a lot of that is having kids later and having only 1.

When you have a big family, some will be better than others at various things and it is just something that the siblings cannot get away from. they learn to live with it. But when you have 1 child? You want them to be a "winner" at whatever they want.. and "keeping up with the Joneses" means keeping up with their only child's participation on travel teams and so on.

Reactions: RUnTeX and fsg2
Parents have destroyed youth sports and pro sports are harder and harder to be a fan of imo whether it’s the crazy pay, free agency, Politics etc.

Reactions: ashokan and JDNB
Except it's the adults who initiated that and hand those things out who get the warm fuzzies.

Kids learn pretty quickly to not give af about a lame, meaningless trinket and definitely not to equate it to winning anything ...unless it's actually a first place trophy, MVP award or the like.

Makes a good talking point for guilt-plagued boomers, tho.
You are right about kids and participation trophies. My daughters always threw them to the back of the closet and never displayed as they were meaningless.

Interesting article about young people behind millennials actually "hating" sports (as opposed to just not being interested). The article goes in depth on the cultural contours, as well as why gambling is being used to pull young people in. It also goes into things like what baseball is doing to gain fans and how progress is going.

Why Do So Many Young Americans Hate Sports?

Market data paints a grim picture for the future of pro sports. In league offices around the country, the campaign to secure it is well underway.

"A new study reveals that just 23 percent of Generation Z — people born between 1992 and 2007, as the study defines the age group — consider themselves “avid” sports fans. That’s 19 percent lower than the Millennial mark of 42 percent. Roughly a third of Gen Xers and Baby Boomers, meanwhile, identify as “avid” sports fans, about 10 points higher than members of Gen Z. Perhaps more tellingly, Gen Z folks say they “actively dislike” sports at a 27-percent clip. The correspondent rates for Millennials, Gen Xers and Boomers rate hovered between 5 and 7 percent.

This is not the first time data collectors have concluded that Gen Z is just not that into sports. In November 2020, Rich Luker, a social psychologist who founded his own sports polling organization, told the Washington Post that he’s observed sports fandom drop among young people for the past decade and a half, and has warned major sports leagues that a reckoning is on the horizon. "

Their gym teachers have to start to lighten up on them.

Maybe the 2nd 2 but if you think kids today have no interest in politics you are 100% clueless and so regarding sports
You think some 13-year old kid cares about politics? And even if he or she does, it's a safe assumption the "politics" in sports you guys are talking about largely refers to the public support of the Black Lives Matter movement, which doesn't get young people bent out of shape like it does to old people, and if it does, then I guess the common hand-wringing about liberal schools brainwashing kids can be easily dismissed, so one argument or the other is a swing and a miss. I worked in youth sports for 10 years, you're telling me I'm clueless about youth sports?

Reactions: NotInRHouse
I will add to the fact that everything is monetized as an issue. At least out here you can't go find a field with soccer nets set up - everything requires joining a league. Not everyone needs to get exposed to sports in full organized leagues. The kids just need to go play and have fun themselves.

As someone that’s part of this generation (21 years old) I’ve got to say it’s really not that big of a deal that people don’t enjoy sports at the same level of the older generations. I love them and can’t get enough. But that isn’t the same for everyone. I’ve been playing sports since I was 4 years old. Same thing goes for both of my siblings. They couldn’t care less about them. They loved playing them, just don’t care about college or professional teams.

In my 12 years of playing on rec, travel, and school baseball teams I’d say more than half of my teammates hate watching it on tv. If they go to a game they enjoy themselves, but insane prices for tickets, parking, and food drive them away.

A big thing is also parents and coaches who ruin the love of the sport for a lot of kids these days. There’s such a huge emphasis being placed who plays for the best or most expensive travel team that it’s almost a pissing contest for the parents and not about their kids enjoying what they’re doing. I know so many people who quit playing a sport after doing it for years because there was too much pressure out on them by parents or coaches, and it’s led to resentment towards the sport as a whole.

The tv aspect is a huge factor too. The constant ad-breaks make it hard for a more casual viewer to get into the game. This is especially bad in football. 8/10 stoppages of play have 2-3 minute tv timeouts now. It’s gotten to the point where I’m surprised it doesn’t cut to commercial after a punt.

Just my two cents. Figured I’d give an insight from an age group that doesn’t exactly make up a big portion of this site.

Nah. If that were true, why do kids still compete to get into Ivy League schools, or to win E sports competitions, or other more casual online video games, or any of dozens of other competitions that aren’t physical sports contests?

While I agree that there are too many participation trophy situations, I don’t see it as the reason fewer young people like sports. There are just so many more entertainment options competing for kid’s attention these days than when we were kids. I said ten times more. But it’s probably more like 30 times more.
Meant to add this into my response because it’s a great point

As someone that’s part of this generation (21 years old) I’ve got to say it’s really not that big of a deal that people don’t enjoy sports at the same level of the older generations. I love them and can’t get enough. But that isn’t the same for everyone. I’ve been playing sports since I was 4 years old. Same thing goes for both of my siblings. They couldn’t care less about them. They loved playing them, just don’t care about college or professional teams.

In my 12 years of playing on rec, travel, and school baseball teams I’d say more than half of my teammates hate watching it on tv. If they go to a game they enjoy themselves, but insane prices for tickets, parking, and food drive them away.

A big thing is also parents and coaches who ruin the love of the sport for a lot of kids these days. There’s such a huge emphasis being placed who plays for the best or most expensive travel team that it’s almost a pissing contest for the parents and not about their kids enjoying what they’re doing. I know so many people who quit playing a sport after doing it for years because there was too much pressure out on them by parents or coaches, and it’s led to resentment towards the sport as a whole.

The tv aspect is a huge factor too. The constant ad-breaks make it hard for a more casual viewer to get into the game. This is especially bad in football. 8/10 stoppages of play have 2-3 minute tv timeouts now. It’s gotten to the point where I’m surprised it doesn’t cut to commercial after a punt.

Just my two cents. Figured I’d give an insight from an age group that doesn’t exactly make up a big portion of this site.
So... in conclusion... it's the fault of the same generation of folks who are doing the complaining in this thread. They complain about ppl not taking personal responsibility, but here they are blaming everything but their own parenting. Lovely crowd we have here.

So... in conclusion... it's the fault of the same generation of folks who are doing the complaining in this thread. They complain about ppl not taking personal responsibility, but here they are blaming everything but their own parenting. Lovely crowd we have here.
I wouldn’t say it’s any one generation’s fault. There’s a lot of factors that go into it imo. Yes over-involved parents is a factor, but parents being a lot more open to their kids trying other things is just as much a factor too.

Your're for the most part preaching to the choir around here on the deleterious affects of some parents/coaches.

Reactions: ashokan
Sufferin' Stereotype, Sylvester.

So is it unpleasant when the tables are turned?

Unless there's a millennial here who knocked up someone in middle school, they're not the ones raising Gen Z, so I'm confused as to who is responsible for raising them. Who is it, and why aren't they owning up?

You're forgetting that the parents on this site have raised perfect children.

It's only the children of other parents who prefer to go on TikTok, play video games, look at their phone instead of Pappa Boomer/Xer.

The children of Boomers and Xers on this board play 15 sports and put down the phones and video games to eagerly hear Pappa Boomer tell of his 15 mile walks (uphill both ways) to play sports and never, ever, be an attention seeker or disobey Grand Pappa, who by the way was so right, those Beatles were dreadful and the record player was the tool of the devil.

• Haha
Reactions: redking

A few years ago I started going to local high school games again. I was surprised how fast the games actually moved without the constant interruptions. Now with YouTube TV highlight function (YT records a game and gives you option to see just highlights) I just watch highlights instead of whole games. The NFL has been NBAed for me. I could watch a whole NBA game but then it became 4th quarters, then the last five minutes and then just highlights.

Do you find your friends more into gambling on sports?

On a wider note - I was taking to a guy in mid 20s a few years ago and I asked him if he liked football. He said "no" because he found pro sports too corporate, packaged, commoditized etc. It was more sizzle than steak. I was feeling a lot of the same things

You're forgetting that the parents on this site have raised perfect children.

It's only the children of other parents who prefer to go on TikTok, play video games, look at their phone instead of Pappa Boomer/Xer.

The children of Boomers and Xers on this board play 15 sports and put down the phones and video games to eagerly hear Pappa Boomer tell of his 15 mile walks (uphill both ways) to play sports and never, ever, be an attention seeker or disobey Grand Pappa, who by the way was so right, those Beatles were dreadful and the record player was the tool of the devil.
You're way over the top in content as well as in tone. The youngest Boomer on this site is 67 years old. (The baby boom stops in 1964); they don't have any minor children. Few of their parents thought the Beatles were dreadful (they were, after all, much more acceptable than the other rock music of the era) at least until they became apparent advocates of drugs in their songs, which took a few years. And no one thought that the record player (which was around when our parents were growing up, and they danced to LP records just like we did) was the tool of the devil. Cool down.

You're way over the top in content as well as in tone. The youngest Boomer on this site is 67 years old. (The baby boom stops in 1964); they don't have any minor children. Few of their parents thought the Beatles were dreadful (they were, after all, much more acceptable than the other rock music of the era) at least until they became apparent advocates of drugs in their songs, which took a few years. And no one thought that the record player (which was around when our parents were growing up, and they danced to LP records just like we did) was the tool of the devil. Cool down.

Boone: "Germans?"

Otter: "Forget it. He's on a roll."

Reactions: mildone
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if the end of the baby boom was 1964, wouldn't that mean the youngest boomer is 57, not 67?

Also, I think you're misreading his tone (or else I am). He is teasing old folks who like to denounce young folks. But it's pretty light-hearted teasing.

Of course, he can't control how it's received by those old folks he's teasing.

But they are influenced by politics.. it is all over the media they and their parents and teachers absorb...
I really don't think the vast majority of school age kids give a crap about politics. They might form opinions on certain issues, like everybody else. But they do so based on the issue, not on anybody's lame party politics and ideologies. Which makes them a hell of lot wiser than their parents and teachers and other adults who allowed themselves to be brainwashed into becoming obsessed about politics.

Last edited:
I really don't think the vast majority of school age kids gives a crap about politics. They might form opinions on certain issues, like everybody else. But they do so based on the issue, not on anybody's lame party politics and ideologies. Which makes them a hell of lot wiser than their parents and teachers and other adults who allowed themselves to be brainwashed into becoming obsessed about politics.

Need to define "school age". Prior to 9th grade I agree. By high school it's a different story IMHO.

Need to define "school age". Prior to 9th grade I agree. By high school it's a different story IMHO.
I've been around a ton of kids from middle school to college age. None of them really seemed to GAF about politics. Issues yes. Politics no.

Of course, even the ton of kids I've been around represents an insignificant sample. I haven't seen any polls that attempt to gauge kid's attitudes with regard to politics. I suspect a lot of kids would fail to respond to such a poll, and hang up (or ignore) any attempts by phone. Which would make the poll results dubious.

But from what I've seen personally, an obsession with various socioeconomic issues will still exist, but the obsession with parties, to some extent, and especially political ideologies, will die off. Thankfully. Kids seem to have a very different way of viewing this stuff than our generation.

I'm calling bs on the authors conclusion that a high number in any age group are anti sports fans based on this survey.

"We measured Sports Fandom using a 7 point scale ranging from “Very Much” a fan to “Not a Fan.” For the analysis, individuals ranking their sports fandom a 7 are considered "Avid" sports fans and those ranking their fandom as 3 or lower are labeled as "Anti" sports fans."

Respondents were never asked if they are anti sports or if they hate sports. A response of 1 meant "not a fan". Anything above 2 means at least partially a fan, but the authors twisted anything below a 3 as being anti sports. To me it is complete nonsense

What the study also doesn't capture as an outlook tool is how peoples interests change over time. My father was a huge fan and I was marginally interested but happy to get out and join him. I'm a much bigger fan of more sports now and my athlete daughter could mostly care less about going to even her friends games, but will occasionally join me.

Reactions: RU205 and mildone
Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but if the end of the baby boom was 1964, wouldn't that mean the youngest boomer is 57, not 67?

Also, I think you're misreading his tone (or else I am). He is teasing old folks who like to denounce young folks. But it's pretty light-hearted teasing.

Of course, he can't control how it's received by those old folks he's teasing.
This is at least the third post of his on this. If he's trying to be funny, he's doing a really lousy job.

A few years ago I started going to local high school games again. I was surprised how fast the games actually moved without the constant interruptions. Now with YouTube TV highlight function (YT records a game and gives you option to see just highlights) I just watch highlights instead of whole games. The NFL has been NBAed for me. I could watch a whole NBA game but then it became 4th quarters, then the last five minutes and then just highlights.

Do you find your friends more into gambling on sports?

On a wider note - I was taking to a guy in mid 20s a few years ago and I asked him if he liked football. He said "no" because he found pro sports too corporate, packaged, commoditized etc. It was more sizzle than steak. I was feeling a lot of the same things
Not too many of us gamble, but those of us who do from time to time are big sports fans who watch a bunch of different leagues and levels

Reactions: ashokan
This is at least the third post of his on this. If he's trying to be funny, he's doing a really lousy job.
I think he was trying to make a point more than be funny. He did it with comic irony, but that was the teasing bit.

Pretty sure he was mostly trying to say that there's some hypocrisy, and perhaps a lack of self-awareness, in parents engaged in bashing their children's generation. After all, it was us that raised the next generation, was it not? Unless ours is indeed the perfect generation (which it obviously cannot be if we failed in raising the next generation).

Last edited:
I think he was trying to make a point more than be funny. He did it with comic irony, but that was the teasing bit.

Pretty sure he was mostly trying to say that there's some hypocrisy, and perhaps a lack of self-awareness, in parents engaged in bashing their children's generation. After all, it was us that raised the next generation, was it not? Unless ours is indeed the perfect generation (which it obviously cannot be if we failed in raising the next generation).

Not sure he was teasing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT