ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Working virtual, where to live on the East Coast

Our business has done extremely well. The talent pool in NJ is outstanding. Might pay less taxes elsewhere, but would likely make a lot less money.
that's actually no longer true and wage disparity has all but disappeared in the financial sector. Being in metro area no longer means you are getting nyc wages only. Like everything, it's business specific and I'm sure there are outliers but it is most definitely not like 20yrs or even 10yrs ago

Reactions: RU2131
Honestly, if you've cut the geo ties of a job, move somewhere you really enjoy living, not just the cheapest place you can nickel and dime.

Just my thought.

These threads always bring out the same chorus. They can’t wait to get out of NJ but will spend the best 30-40 years of their lives here just to bank the most money and some day retire to a “better life.” They can also be found in threads where a sixty-year-old passes away and be sure to note that he/she was “too young.”

These threads always bring out the same chorus. They can’t wait to get out of NJ but will spend the best 30-40 years of their lives here just to bank the most money and some day retire to a “better life.” They can also be found in threads where a sixty-year-old passes away and be sure to note that he/she was “too young.”
This can actually be an interesting discussion if you break it down by profile and demographics. It could be fun

Retire to NC or FL and then they’ll come running back to your kids in NJ when you turn 80 and can’t fend for yourself. Those types.

Reactions: NotInRHouse
that's actually no longer true and wage disparity has all but disappeared in the financial sector. Being in metro area no longer means you are getting nyc wages only. Like everything, it's business specific and I'm sure there are outliers but it is most definitely not like 20yrs or even 10yrs ago
Any surprise? LOL. Worst state in the nation.

A study by Truth in Accounting shows New Jersey had $43 billion available to pay $241 billion in outstanding bills. It designated the Garden State as a “Sinkhole State,” a state that lacks the necessary funds to pay its bills.

New Jersey had $43.4 billion available to pay $241.1 billion worth of bills.
• The outcome was a $197.7 billion shortfall, which breaks down to a burden of $58,700 per taxpayer.
• New Jersey’s financial position appeared to decrease in 2021. Its status will most likely decline further as federal Covid funding decreases and the market value of retirement system assets decline.

@tom1944

I can work virtually but I am staying in NJ.
When I retire I may stay in NJ but I am not sure. A few things I will consider before thinking of costs.
Where will my kids or grandkids live will be first. Next would be convenience to grocery stores, quality doctors/hospitals, and services provided in the town I live.
I may stay in NJ and add a 2nd home in a southern state for winters. Maybe NC, SC or GA. I wouldn’t go north of NJ.
That’s our plan as well. Love it here in NJ and our taxes here in OC are relatively cheap at 1% compared to the rest of NJ. Will likely just rent a place in FL for a month or 2 during the winter though as opposed to buying, but we shall see

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Answering the OP’s original question

1. Virginia - preferably the Charlottesville area

2. Pennsylvania - Bucks County or mainline

We’re out of NJ as soon my wife has her pension and benefits fully vested in the school system.

It’s Florida for us (Tallahassee) - not just bc of FSU (though that plays a huge part). Weather, taxes, panhandle feels like the true south with rolling hills, sweet tea, etc

Carolinas are great too. Chapel Hill or Vauxhall are both great

Clemson / Greenville upstate in SC are tremendous options

Buckhead/upstate GA also are really nice areas

Love NJ. Lived here my whole life. But it’s much different in the last 20/30 years and getting worse IMO

Taxes, weather, people and policies. Prices are outrageous.

Tons of diversity, food options, entertainment and great schools, but I’d leave tomorrow if I had my way

That’s our plan as well. Love it here in NJ and our taxes here in OC are relatively cheap at 1% compared to the rest of NJ. Will likely just rent a place in FL for a month or 2 during the winter though as opposed to buying, but we shall see
+1
Living/owning in a shore town (barrier islands are best) is really the only option to mitigate excess property taxes due to the lower prevalence of school age kids.

Love NJ. Lived here my whole life. But it’s much different in the last 20/30 years and getting worse IMO
Sad, but very true statement. Trenton and other gov entities just keep screwing up this once amazing state.

as for retirees, believe it or not,the best places to live have an awful lot to do with access to medial care, amenities like the arts, etc and other conveniences and not just dollars---and NYC is in the top 20
Exactly. You get what you pay for. If you're a homebody, don't like good food, great healthcare, diversity, culture, low crime, personable people, then yes, the south is fine. If you simply enjoy just staying in your home most of the time (which is fine), then yes pick the state with the least taxes overall.

For me, I'm buying an EarthRoamer the day I retire in 5.5 years and overlanding/boondocking the continent.

Reactions: fsg2
Exactly. You get what you pay for. If you're a homebody, don't like good food, great healthcare, diversity, culture, low crime, personable people, then yes, the south is fine. If you simply enjoy just staying in your home most of the time (which is fine), then yes pick the state with the least taxes overall.
Conversely, one can say the people down south are the epitomie of personal

Moreover, due to great weather, nobody I know down south stays home like we have to in winter

Different strokes for different folks… but there’s a reason nobody moves up north to retire

These questions are so stupid . It depends on a lot of factors outside of job . Your age , have kids in school, where is your extended family , the type of demographics you’re looking for (and yes that matters to everyone even when they say it don’t )
And you want us to narrow it down by state?its hard to narrow a question like that down by county . Life is a lot different in the things you mention like housing and insurance in Cranford NJ than 10 minutes away in Elizabeth, NJ.
Give us the profile of the person looking
OIP.VEglMoep4TbUKzWek0zK5gHaFq

I'd advise you to pick up a short-term rental where you "think" you want retire. Live like a local for a couple months.

No place is perfect. But some are simply more suited to your needs and wants and overall lifestyle.
Extremely good advice! Don't make a permanent move until you've tried a place out for a while. I would give it a year so that I have a sense for what's available in all seasons.

Reactions: Leonard23
The ability / joy to do things outside in the winter is certainly less than summer

Team Smooth is at a Broadway play today. Love going - but it’s inside
Depends what you do.

I enjoy being outdoors even more in the winter.

Depends what you do.

I enjoy being outdoors even more in the winter.
Not me

Freezing my balls off on a ski slope or ice fishing with 19 layers of clothes on is equivalent to torture

Laying on a beach, tailgating in shorts & flops or heading out on a boat… sign me up

Reactions: SF88
Extremely good advice! Don't make a permanent move until you've tried a place out for a while. I would give it a year so that I have a sense for what's available in all seasons.

Or do a month in the worst possible. Florida in July or New Hampshire in February.

Not me

Freezing my balls off on a ski slope or ice fishing with 19 layers of clothes on is equivalent to torture

Laying on a beach, tailgating in shorts & flops or heading out on a boat… sign me up
Well that's the point. It's a choice, not a foregone conclusion.

Went hiking last week - sub freezing morning, snow-covered trail - saw two different people carrying infants in baby packs, several seniors, a number of runners, some in shorts, and a few dozen people overall. No one feeling they had to stay indoors or migrate south.

Relevant to this thread since OP was exclusive of the warmest southern locales, inclusive of much colder areas.

I'd advise you to pick up a short-term rental where you "think" you want retire. Live like a local for a couple months.

No place is perfect. But some are simply more suited to your needs and wants and overall lifestyle.
Excellent advice, unlike your stock advice. 😜

Well that's the point. It's a choice, not a foregone conclusion.

Went hiking last week - sub freezing morning, snow-covered trail - saw two different people carrying infants in baby packs, several seniors, a number of runners, some in shorts, and a few dozen people overall. No one feeling they had to stay indoors or migrate south.

Relevant to this thread since OP was exclusive of the warmest southern locales, inclusive of much colder areas.
Exactly the point
As stated in my original post, different strokes for different folks

Exactly the point
As stated in my original post, different strokes for different folks
*Misstated in your original post (i.e. "we have to stay inside"). My only qualm. I'll let the "nobody moves north to retire" slide.

I really am missing the point of this question.

I choose to live in New Jersey.
Same here. Born in Jersey, will die in Jersey. Love Metuchen, Central NJ, and the Philly-NJ-NYC region. So much to do: the best cultural attractions anywhere (Broadway, museums, music shows/venues, etc.), the best restaurants, Rutgers sports, beautiful/cool/funky small towns, the Shore, the mountains (even if small), great weather with all 4 seasons, awesome pro sports, and more. I'll gladly pay a bit more in taxes to live here, because it's worth it.

Same here. Born in Jersey, will die in Jersey. Love Metuchen, Central NJ, and the Philly-NJ-NYC region. So much to do: the best cultural attractions anywhere (Broadway, museums, music shows/venues, etc.), the best restaurants, Rutgers sports, beautiful/cool/funky small towns, the Shore, the mountains (even if small), great weather with all 4 seasons, awesome pro sports, and more. I'll gladly pay a bit more in taxes to live here, because it's worth it.

Who are you- Gabby Johnson of Metuchen?

Never realized the actor who played Gabby Johnson was Galt in First Blood.

maxresdefault.jpg

Was having an interesting conversation with a friend of mine: the premise was that if someone had a job where they worked virtually and had to go in the office maybe every 3-4 months, assuming the job was in NYC or northern NJ, what state on the east coast would be the best to live in given taxes, cost and availability of housing, car insurance rates, etc. Assume you need to be within an acceptable driving distance, so figure Maine down to Virginia. States that would be covered would be Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, DC and Virginia.
I have some experience working with transplants. Moving for economic reasons makes sense for the years into early retirement. After that, age related issues make it more important to be near those family/friends who can help you with the unexpected. At that point, tax rates don’t mean diddly.

Was having an interesting conversation with a friend of mine: the premise was that if someone had a job where they worked virtually and had to go in the office maybe every 3-4 months, assuming the job was in NYC or northern NJ, what state on the east coast would be the best to live in given taxes, cost and availability of housing, car insurance rates, etc. Assume you need to be within an acceptable driving distance, so figure Maine down to Virginia. States that would be covered would be Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Delaware, DC and Virginia.

I'm actually in this exact situation. I'm working mostly remotely now and can live in any of the states you've listed and I have chosen to stay exactly where I am in NJ.
1. I have friends from the town I grew up in, college, and the town I live in. Out of all of them, about 95% live in NJ and we get together all the time. Not just tail gates, but parties, camping, golf, and nights out in the city. I would really miss that if I moved.
2. I have a 6th grader and a sophomore in high school and the schools are great.
3. I have one kid with special needs and the support that NJ provides is the best in the country. I have a friend that moved back here just for that reason alone.
4. My parents are in their 70's and will start needing my help soon. I need to be near them.
5. Any further north and it's too cold for me.
6. My job has a geographical adjustment. One guy I work with lives in Southern Virginia. He's at the exact level as me and has the same amount of years on the job. He pays $4,000 a year less in property taxes as me which is nice, but he also makes $40,000 a year less than me.
7. If I moved, I would have to find new fishing and hunting spots and I don't want to start all over.
8. I love going to Rutgers football games and wrestling matches.

I'm actually in this exact situation. I'm working mostly remotely now and can live in any of the states you've listed and I have chosen to stay exactly where I am in NJ.
1. I have friends from the town I grew up in, college, and the town I live in. Out of all of them, about 95% live in NJ and we get together all the time. Not just tail gates, but parties, camping, golf, and nights out in the city. I would really miss that if I moved.
2. I have a 6th grader and a sophomore in high school and the schools are great.
3. I have one kid with special needs and the support that NJ provides is the best in the country. I have a friend that moved back here just for that reason alone.
4. My parents are in their 70's and will start needing my help soon. I need to be near them.
5. Any further north and it's too cold for me.
6. My job has a geographical adjustment. One guy I work with lives in Southern Virginia. He's at the exact level as me and has the same amount of years on the job. He pays $4,000 a year less in property taxes as me which is nice, but he also makes $40,000 a year less than me.
7. If I moved, I would have to find new fishing and hunting spots and I don't want to start all over.
8. I love going to Rutgers football games and wrestling matches.
As to #4, very important consideration. About 25 years ago, one of our parents suddenly passed. We moved back to NJ, and we never looked back. Kids lived near the remaining grandparents who made all the birthday parties, important school events, etc. Family is important.
#6- I alluded to this. Is $4,000-6,000/year worth it if you are making less money, and/or driving back up to NJ several times per year to visit friends, family and go to RU games, etc. Not to us.

As to #7- same for a lot of us who have favorite recreation spots. For me, the mountain biking trails in South Monmouth are superb. Can also bike ride to the beach. Our marina is a few miles away. Life is good here, regardless of others' complaints. Also, like that we can get a good sub, pizza, or any type of meal of various types from a wide variety of restaurants.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT