ADVERTISEMENT

OT: WW1984

Agree with most here that it was underwhelming to say the least. Would have been pissed had I spent the money to see it in theaters if it was normal times.

Saw this tweet from Sepinwall that made some good points.

Wish this guy Marc Bernardin, who have a weekly podcast (FATMAN BEYOND) with Kevin Smith about comic books and movies, wrote the movie. His version is better than the movie itself, which he begins at 1:23:06 mark of their recent show.

I found the plot line rambling and boring. I dozed off at one point.

Conversely, I just started streaming Titans on HBO Max and so far find it enjoyable.

I really thought to myself while watching after the first 5-10 minutes...if this was really the movie or was a rickrolled video going to come on soon.

Marvel fans should be excited for Wandavision. That’s starts streaming on Disney+ on the January 15th.

Assuming most streamed it but did anybody go to watch it at the movies?

Saw it in the theater in Mountainside on Monday. Still like seeing movies in the theater rather than even on a big screen at home. About 15 total people at that showing in the theater.

I do not see how any theaters are going to stay open much after New Year's Day. All of the AMC's are working with skeleton staffs.

When HBO and Time Warner announced they are streaming with no upcharge(granted you need to subscribe to HBO) even the blockbusters the same day as films coming to theaters, it pretty much put the nail in the coffin for the future of movie theaters..........

Best of Luck,
Groz

When HBO and Time Warner announced they are streaming with no upcharge(granted you need to subscribe to HBO) even the blockbusters the same day as films coming to theaters, it pretty much put the nail in the coffin for the future of movie theaters..........

They seem to be reversing course on this one. The next big Sci-fi movie Dune will no longer be streamed and will open in movie theaters only. A lot of directors were pissed because they crafted their movies to fit the big screen and put up a bug stink.

I think it was all a marketing ploy by HBO because they've been getting hammered by all the streaming services lately. Ingenious, tell everyone you're going to release all your movies same day as theaters, get them to sign on, then quickly reverse course. Some might say false advertising.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
They seem to be reversing course on this one. The next big Sci-fi movie Dune will no longer be streamed and will open in movie theaters only. A lot of directors were pissed because they crafted their movies to fit the big screen and put up a bug stink.

I think it was all a marketing ploy by HBO because they've been getting hammered by all the streaming services lately. Ingenious, tell everyone you're going to release all your movies same day as theaters, get them sign on, then quickly reverse course. Some might say false advertising.

That could all be true. I was wondering whether they were just trying to get as many people as they could to sign up for HBO, knowing that many people don't cancel once they sign up.

If you remember, very few theaters put The Irishman in their theaters because Netflix was releasing it right away on Netflix.

Slightly changing subjects, Amazon has gazillions of customers. I wonder IF there were many more NFL games ONLY on Amazon(like Ariz-SF last week), would there just be more people that signed up for Prime, OR will there be many people that get pissed at Amazon and the NFL for allowing it to happen. Only time will tell.

But then again, the NFL could have made the Super Bowl pay-per-view to test out the whole system also. That really would make people mad and I am guessing that the advertisers do not want to rock the boat to what has been successful for forever.......

Best of Luck,
Groz

Reactions: koleszar
That could all be true. I was wondering whether they were just trying to get as many people as they could to sign up for HBO, knowing that many people don't cancel once they sign up.

If you remember, very few theaters put The Irishman in their theaters because Netflix was releasing it right away on Netflix.

Slightly changing subjects, Amazon has gazillions of customers. I wonder IF there were many more NFL games ONLY on Amazon(like Ariz-SF last week), would there just be more people that signed up for Prime, OR will there be many people that get pissed at Amazon and the NFL for allowing it to happen. Only time will tell.

But then again, the NFL could have made the Super Bowl pay-per-view to test out the whole system also. That really would make people mad and I am guessing that the advertisers do not want to rock the boat to what has been successful for forever.......

Best of Luck,
Groz
I've been saying this for years that the NFL would do PPV for games when the time is right but people will poo poo that because "the NFL would never do such a thing." They already put games on Cable, have games on their own network, have make you pay for direct Ticket or whatever its called now, make you pay for replays and the All 22, and so on. So how long until regular season games and eventually playoff games/Super Bowls will be on PPV?

They even have advertising on practice jerseys so how long until they're on game unis?

Reactions: ashokan
I just heard a radio ad today for watching Wonder Woman on HBO Max and how you can watch it up until 31 days after theater release. This is the first time I have heard of this. I think they added this addendum today. So, I guess they are pulling movies after a certain time like Disney does.

The streaming wars should be very interesting in the next couple of years.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Talked to 2 people on my NYE Zoom who thought it was horrible.

Anyone see Linda Carter several times on Law & Order? Playing the mother in a mother/daughter grifter team.

I've been saying this for years that the NFL would do PPV for games when the time is right but people will poo poo that because "the NFL would never do such a thing." They already put games on Cable, have games on their own network, have make you pay for direct Ticket or whatever its called now, make you pay for replays and the All 22, and so on. So how long until regular season games and eventually playoff games/Super Bowls will be on PPV?

They even have advertising on practice jerseys so how long until they're on game unis?

You know all the pro sports teams see how NASCAR rolls. They would love to plaster ads all over. Alas, many young fans are not even watching full games anymore, because they watch on phones and are settling for highlights (due to data limits). NFL is alienating fans loyal to laundry and full game participation. NFL games are becoming just another moving object to gamble on

Well I'm waiting for the 3rd Independence Day movie: is it coming out in 2021?

Can't wait for the 4 Avatar sequels they're making!
The last ID was epic bad...so bad that it was worth watching for that reason alone! 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Scarlet Jerry
I just heard a radio ad today for watching Wonder Woman on HBO Max and how you can watch it up until 31 days after theater release. This is the first time I have heard of this. I think they added this addendum today. So, I guess they are pulling movies after a certain time like Disney does.

The streaming wars should be very interesting in the next couple of years.

Best of Luck,
Groz
31 day limit was part of the original plan ...as far as pulling some of the movies from HBO max there are 3 or 4 movies that are not 100% financed by Warner ... It's the other financier not the director getting their way

It used to be only AMC New Brunswick being closed during the week, but as of yesterday, it looks like over 80% of the AMC theaters are now open only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Unfortunately, the next step will be for them to all close for good or at least until the pandemic is over(if they can last that long). Not good for people that like to go to the movies.

Best of Luck,
Groz

HBO needs to step up its game in the volume of fresh, original content in order to compete with Netflix/Amazon/Disney+. Having a handful of new shows, a few new movies, and a catalog of old stuff isn't going to get people to divert their entertainment budgets away from the other 3.

Saw it in the theater in Mountainside on Monday. Still like seeing movies in the theater rather than even on a big screen at home. About 15 total people at that showing in the theater.

I do not see how any theaters are going to stay open much after New Year's Day. All of the AMC's are working with skeleton staffs.

Best of Luck,
Groz
I agree with you regarding the future of thearters. The problem has been going on since the 1970's and was greatly accelerated during covid. That trend is home theaters and surround sound. I have been on this train since the late 1970's. Many years ago i had subscriptions to stereo review and several other audiophile magazines. In my young and dumb years paid big money for a Harmon Kardon reciever, Had a NAD reciever at one time, High end speakers and components. Now the technology being put out by the Big names is equivalent to the high priced, High end electronics. The human ear and eyes can only process so much sound and light and the A/V electronics of today are better than 35 MM film and at beyond what the human mind can process. from the 1920's - 2000 35mm was the gold standard in clarity,resolution and sound. not so today.
As I have stated for a little over $1500 I have a big screen TV and surround sound system that is equal to the theater experience. Add in the reclining leather "theater chair" that I bought and I can have the same experience in my house that I can have in a theater minus, driving to the theater, parking, paying for a ticket, buying expensive food and drinks, dealing with crowds, not being able to pause for bathroom breaks, etc. I can also watch sports and other programming on the same system. Covid has definitely sped the trend of people consuming movies from home. There will be a much smaller market for true theater fans who love the theater experience. Otherwise most of us will be watching first run films from home. The writing is on the wall....in black and white!

She also used to work for Burger King, and she had a job changing sheets in a hotel. She's pretty solid citizen and down to earth. She has a nice, energetic personality that demonstrates a certain je ne sais quoi. She makes a good star even though if she was topless on a beach I wouldn't look lol. Linda Carter on the other hand...
Ashokan:

i don’t know about seeing her on the beach topless but appearing on Jimmy Kimmel recently she
looked very well endowed!

”1984” universally panned. Next one already a go with the same terrible director, Patty Jenkins.

I agree with you regarding the future of thearters. The problem has been going on since the 1970's and was greatly accelerated during covid. That trend is home theaters and surround sound. I have been on this train since the late 1970's. Many years ago i had subscriptions to stereo review and several other audiophile magazines. In my young and dumb years paid big money for a Harmon Kardon reciever, Had a NAD reciever at one time, High end speakers and components. Now the technology being put out by the Big names is equivalent to the high priced, High end electronics. The human ear and eyes can only process so much sound and light and the A/V electronics of today are better than 35 MM film and at beyond what the human mind can process. from the 1920's - 2000 35mm was the gold standard in clarity,resolution and sound. not so today.
As I have stated for a little over $1500 I have a big screen TV and surround sound system that is equal to the theater experience. Add in the reclining leather "theater chair" that I bought and I can have the same experience in my house that I can have in a theater minus, driving to the theater, parking, paying for a ticket, buying expensive food and drinks, dealing with crowds, not being able to pause for bathroom breaks, etc. I can also watch sports and other programming on the same system. Covid has definitely sped the trend of people consuming movies from home. There will be a much smaller market for true theater fans who love the theater experience. Otherwise most of us will be watching first run films from home. The writing is on the wall....in black and white!
in the past 15 years i've gone from LCD projection to plasma, LED, and now OLED. dolby 5.1 to 7.1 with high end speakers to now a high end soundbar. the new stuff is so much better than the old. still expensive...but there's less to buy and way less clutter in the family room.

Reactions: ashokan
they misses the boat not having at least Game of thrones spinoff ready at its conclusion

Ashokan:

i don’t know about seeing her on the beach topless but appearing on Jimmy Kimmel recently she
looked very well endowed!

”1984” universally panned. Next one already a go with the same terrible director, Patty Jenkins.

Bra technology has come far lol

HBO needs to step up its game in the volume of fresh, original content in order to compete with Netflix/Amazon/Disney+. Having a handful of new shows, a few new movies, and a catalog of old stuff isn't going to get people to divert their entertainment budgets away from the other 3.
The HBO Max content is way deeper than Amazon and D+ and the quality is much better than Netflix. HBO Max’s issue is that they need to do a better job of marketing the headline movies/series, and the search function and recommended titles algorithms need some refinement. With series like GOT, Succession, Warrior, Doom Patrol, Watchmen, Flight Attendant, Undoing, Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park, Friends, etc., plus the entire WB 2021 slate of upcoming movie releases including Matrix 4, Justice League, and Dune, HBO Max is insanely good and cheaper than Netflix.

The HBO Max content is way deeper than Amazon and D+ and the quality is much better than Netflix. HBO Max’s issue is that they need to do a better job of marketing the headline movies/series, and the search function and recommended titles algorithms need some refinement. With series like GOT, Succession, Warrior, Doom Patrol, Watchmen, Flight Attendant, Undoing, Curb Your Enthusiasm, South Park, Friends, etc., plus the entire WB 2021 slate of upcoming movie releases including Matrix 4, Justice League, and Dune, HBO Max is insanely good and cheaper than Netflix.
HBO isn't putting out the same volume of brand new content as Netflix or Amazon. Disney+ is on its way with its bazillion Star Wars and Marvel series/movies. I'm not saying that HBO content isn't high quality...there just isn't enough new stuff to match up to the big services.

Warrior is excellent btw.

I think it was all a marketing ploy by HBO because they've been getting hammered by all the streaming services lately. Ingenious, tell everyone you're going to release all your movies same day as theaters, get them to sign on, then quickly reverse course. Some might say false advertising.
HBO isn't putting out the same volume of brand new content as Netflix or Amazon. Disney+ is on its way with its bazillion Star Wars and Marvel series/movies. I'm not saying that HBO content isn't high quality...there just isn't enough new stuff to match up to the big services.

Warrior is excellent btw.
Not to sound argumentative but check again. There is no comparison for 2021 and HBO Max has gone all in. If HBO Max can fix the user interface to help offer better suggestions and showcase the full library it will be a serious threat to other streaming services. The theatrical releases alone make the subscription a no-brainer. The article below has the January slate (and be sure to scroll all the way down the article for the entire month). The first list is just for January 1.

It’s great to see women directors screw up and completely facocked a movie to where it is nearly universally hated.

yay equality!!!!:WooHoo:

Worst screenwriting I’ve ever seen for such a big budget film. On par with the old, original Netflix b-rate movies that were knockoffs. Just cringe worthy at times how lame it was. Like a bunch of middle schoolers wrote it who never saw any super hero movie and tried to put all the cliches into one

Most current HBOs series are crap and very niche (which is why viewership is in the toilet). You need more broad appeal to compete with the big boys of streaming. HBOs library of series is outstanding, but it's all about new content. They need to step it up!

Most current HBOs series are crap and very niche (which is why viewership is in the toilet). You need more broad appeal to compete with the big boys of streaming. HBOs library of series is outstanding, but it's all about new content. They need to step it up!
Viewershi
Not sure where you get your info from, but below is an Emmy snippet that hopefully gives you some perspective. I’ve had Netflix for years, but other than a few marquee series like Cobra Kai (which by the way was just as cheesy as WW1984 at times) it’s all about quantity. HBO Max is now generating both quantity and quality as viewership is rapidly increasing especially now that you can watch same day theatrical releases. Not having to leave my couch to see a new theatrical release or pay FIOS $19.99 for a 24 hour viewing makes HBO Max the best streaming deal available at the moment.

“When it comes to studios, it’s HBO Entertainment that reigns supreme, responsible for all 107 of HBO’s nominations. Warner Bros Television comes next with 50 nominations, what with its hand in “Watchmen” and “Westworld,” among others, followed by Disney Television Studios with 47, benefitting in a big way from the breadth of its dynasty earning nominations for series on FX (“Pose”), Hulu (“Little Fires Everywhere”), Netflix (“The Politician”), and NBC (“This Is Us”), just to name a few. Then it’s Sony Pictures Television (“The Crown”) with 41, Universal Studio Group (“Saturday Night Live”) with 37, and then, finally, Netflix, with a mere 33 nominations, 12 of which came for “Hollywood” and eight for “Stranger Things.”
There’s also the matter of quality over quantity. For all its 107 nominations, HBO had a few dozen series airing episodes during the eligibility window. Netflix had … more. A lot more. According to Variety, Netflix released 371 new TV shows and movies in 2019, more programming than the entire U.S. TV industry released in 2005. The streamer has a mind-boggling amount of content, to the extent that not only should it be unsurprising that they have the most Emmy nominations, but to the point that it’s honestly a little surprising that they don’t have more.
Further complicating the point is the fact that not all Netflix Originals are created equally. That is, while Netflix proper earned the most Emmy nominations, Netflix Original Production, did not.

Viewershi

Not sure where you get your info from, but below is an Emmy snippet that hopefully gives you some perspective. I’ve had Netflix for years, but other than a few marquee series like Cobra Kai (which by the way was just as cheesy as WW1984 at times) it’s all about quantity. HBO Max is now generating both quantity and quality as viewership is rapidly increasing especially now that you can watch same day theatrical releases. Not having to leave my couch to see a new theatrical release or pay FIOS $19.99 for a 24 hour viewing makes HBO Max the best streaming deal available at the moment.

“When it comes to studios, it’s HBO Entertainment that reigns supreme, responsible for all 107 of HBO’s nominations. Warner Bros Television comes next with 50 nominations, what with its hand in “Watchmen” and “Westworld,” among others, followed by Disney Television Studios with 47, benefitting in a big way from the breadth of its dynasty earning nominations for series on FX (“Pose”), Hulu (“Little Fires Everywhere”), Netflix (“The Politician”), and NBC (“This Is Us”), just to name a few. Then it’s Sony Pictures Television (“The Crown”) with 41, Universal Studio Group (“Saturday Night Live”) with 37, and then, finally, Netflix, with a mere 33 nominations, 12 of which came for “Hollywood” and eight for “Stranger Things.”
There’s also the matter of quality over quantity. For all its 107 nominations, HBO had a few dozen series airing episodes during the eligibility window. Netflix had … more. A lot more. According to Variety, Netflix released 371 new TV shows and movies in 2019, more programming than the entire U.S. TV industry released in 2005. The streamer has a mind-boggling amount of content, to the extent that not only should it be unsurprising that they have the most Emmy nominations, but to the point that it’s honestly a little surprising that they don’t have more.
Further complicating the point is the fact that not all Netflix Originals are created equally. That is, while Netflix proper earned the most Emmy nominations, Netflix Original Production, did not.
Sorry, don't care about Emmys. Viewership is what matters. Goods shows attractive viewers, meh shows do not (whether or not they are given awards).

Other than GOT, HBO viewership has tanked.

Viewershi

In the era of binging on series and movies...a streaming service needs quantity as much as it needs quality. Critical acclaim and awards are great for those in the industry...but it's not going to help Bobby and Nancy when they've run out of things to watch on a Wednesday.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT