ADVERTISEMENT

OT: YES Network just dropped from Hulu+ along with some regional fox sports networks.

We have Youtube TV . When we got it they had the YES network . Was nice then , not now. We don't get to see too many Yankee games without it. It's the only problem we have with Youtube TV.

It seems that any package to get YES/BTN is extremely expensive. Somewhere around $50 or so per month. I no longer have cable and only use online apps via Apple TV and Firesticks and to add a way to watch Rutgers games are just impossible unless willing to pay. Looks like I will be following games on the radio this year and hope to catch some replays at times.

It seems that any package to get YES/BTN is extremely expensive. Somewhere around $50 or so per month. I no longer have cable and only use online apps via Apple TV and Firesticks and to add a way to watch Rutgers games are just impossible unless willing to pay. Looks like I will be following games on the radio this year and hope to catch some replays at times.
My plan for tomorrow involves sitting on my deck, bottle of bourbon, a few choice cigars and my bose speaker to listen to the game on the radio. What better way to enjoy the win!

My plan for tomorrow involves sitting on my deck, bottle of bourbon, a few choice cigars and my bose speaker to listen to the game on the radio. What better way to enjoy the win!
The only thing I miss from seeing live or on TV is to have a personal view of how each player is performing.

Or how Coach reacts on the sideline!
Used to love my player family seats when we were right behind the bench- see and here so much interaction that became a part of the game that wasn’t on the field.

Yup, you can get all kinds of other content cheap or free but still have to pony up for live sports.

Hope one day the MLB offers MLB TV for local games. Might be the best deal in sports, but you can't use it within the broadcast market, not live at least.

Reactions: tico brown
That works if you want to watch the game the next day. Games on actual BTN are streamed on the fox sports app which you need a cable (or internet package) subscription to.

Damn, I got excited. $120 would be a steal if it included live football.

You sure you don't need a cable/stream provider to watch fb replays? Still might be the way to go for this season.

Damn, I got excited. $120 would be a steal if it included live football.

You sure you don't need a cable/stream provider to watch fb replays? Still might be the way to go for this season.

Seems like it. When you click on the link and select ru says stream live on fox or day after oj btn+

Reactions: fsg2
I remembr a bunch of us listening to Rutgers at Penn State on the radio.. wishing we were there.. but radio was great.

However.. if you want to "cheat".. and you have a family member with the full-blown cable that would get the game.. you can ask them to make you a family login at the cable provider.. like spectrum, etc.. and you log in through their cable provider... that will do it. It is a bit of abuse... like a couple people sharing a Netflix login.. but it should work.

If you go to BTN now and click the link to watch the Illinois - Wisconsin game.. it will take you to https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/
(plus some extra stuff after you log in)

BTW.. watching teh Wisky game.. you can hear the stadium announcer still calling the game. They have like 8 small sections with cardboard fans close to the field.... but they did not surround it.. strange.. I heard a band.. but do not know if it was just a tape.. and they do have fan noise.. "wah-wah"..

ANd Wisky looks good.. new QB is on fire.. 4 TD passes in first half

Last edited:
Olweb TV. If you are not computer savvy I wouldn’t recommend, but if you have a Mac or just basic computer skills to know which button to click and which ones to not click, you can get any major channel in the world including all sports and never have to pay for TV again

I remembr a bunch of us listening to Rutgers at Penn State on the radio.. wishing we were there.. but radio was great.

However.. if you want to "cheat".. and you have a family member with the full-blown cable that would get the game.. you can ask them to make you a family login at the cable provider.. like spectrum, etc.. and you log in through their cable provider... that will do it. It is a bit of abuse... like a couple people sharing a Netflix login.. but it should work.

If you go to BTN now and click the link to watch the Illinois - Wisconsin game.. it will take you to https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/
(plus some extra stuff after you log in)

Left to Right on your radio dial...

Reactions: dollarbill
Yup, you can get all kinds of other content cheap or free but still have to pony up for live sports.

Hope one day the MLB offers MLB TV for local games. Might be the best deal in sports, but you can't use it within the broadcast market, not live at least.
That is the most BS deal in TV sports. MLB TV would be the best sports app out there if they allowed local games on it.

Reactions: fsg2
That is the most BS deal in TV sports. MLB TV would be the best sports app out there if they allowed local games on it.

Totally. Even worse if you live in one of those weird zones that has 4 or 5 teams blacked out on technicality.

Only disadvantage using it out of market is having national broadcasts blacked out. Particularly annoying for Yanks-Red Sox since usually several games per series are national.

As predicted, cutting the cord won't save you any money.

Not true at all.

Even though it's nearly as much for the streaming package needed for sports, you can cancel anytime. I have it for 4 or 5 months for football, cancel the rest of the year.

Don't know if it's changed, but cable didn't previously let me do that and was paying every month, year after year.

Cord cutting also teaches you to live with less ...so if it does ever cost more, I'll cut it down or cut out paid content completely. Plenty of good free content, plenty else to do with free time.

Mets/Yankees games in NYC area, Phillies games in Philly area, etc.

So Hulu just raised its prices by $10 per month AFTER announcing the loss of YES. Very strange and silly move considering this makes YouTube a much better option with more channels, allowing for 3 screen viewing vs 2 PLUS to skip commercials on the DVR you have to pay $10 more than the current YouTube cost. I'm dropping Hulu and moving to YouTube and know of 2 others dropping Hulu as well. I added Hulu when DirectTV Now did their massive price/lineup change.

Honestly, Hulu went from being the best option for the price to below part in a matter of a few months. I think the HULU on demand is overrated if you have Netflix.

I still like the idea of streaming vs cable when you consider no need to pay for boxes across the house and 1-2 year contracts.

Cable and FIOS are once again becoming a good option if the above issues are not a concern.

Reactions: RUnTeX
So Hulu just raised its prices by $10 per month AFTER announcing the loss of YES. Very strange and silly move considering this makes YouTube a much better option with more channels, allowing for 3 screen viewing vs 2 PLUS to skip commercials on the DVR you have to pay $10 more than the current YouTube cost. I'm dropping Hulu and moving to YouTube and know of 2 others dropping Hulu as well. I added Hulu when DirectTV Now did their massive price/lineup change.

Honestly, Hulu went from being the best option for the price to below part in a matter of a few months. I think the HULU on demand is overrated if you have Netflix.

I still like the idea of streaming vs cable when you consider no need to pay for boxes across the house and 1-2 year contracts.

Cable and FIOS are once again becoming a good option if the above issues are not a concern.

And right on the heels of Hulu's price increase email the other day, I got a Sling email today with a promotional deal specifically touting that with Hulu's pricing increase it's now more than double what Sling would be at the reduced rate. But sling doesn't have BTN so don't think that'll be an option esp with a few more fball games and all of hoops season around the corner. Will be giving YoutubeTV a look.

It’s funny the hoops that people who must have sports channels have to jump through! 😎

As predicted, cutting the cord won't save you any money.
Not totally correct. Yes the amount of savings is down but for an early adopted I am in a good place. I am still saving $80 per month over Optimum. At one point I was saving over $150. I could save more but I kept a legacy package on AT&T TV Now (plus internet only fees went up / with WFH went to 1 gig internet). I still get the 105+ channels plus MSG (which is only available via FUBU). I plan to keep this until they either end the service or really jack it up. Most of the streaming services only offer 65 channels now.

Not totally correct. Yes the amount of savings is down but for an early adopted I am in a good place. I am still saving $80 per month over Optimum. At one point I was saving over $150. I could save more but I kept a legacy package on AT&T TV Now (plus internet only fees went up / with WFH went to 1 gig internet). I still get the 105+ channels plus MSG (which is only available via FUBU). I plan to keep this until they either end the service or really jack it up. Most of the streaming services only offer 65 channels now.

Also add in the fact that the cable prices would have kept going up if not for competition from these streaming services.

Looking forward to the coin flip to see if they are going left to right on the radio dial. $$$$

Also add in the fact that the cable prices would have kept going up if not for competition from these streaming services.
And what people don't understand about streaming services is if you have an unlimited data plan, I can stream my channels anywhere. Pre Covid I traveled on business 2 weeks per month. It was great being able to watch all my channels anywhere (Wifi or data). Even when in the UK I knew the tricks to stream channels not available overseas. For a lot of us, we don't watch TV just at home anymore.

Reactions: RUDead
Netflix going up $2 to $17.99 also.. def getting into "not worth it" territory

Most of the year, I could run just Netflix. $17.99 is still cheap if it's the only thing you have.

I cough up for Hulu for football season, and have been thinking Netflix might have to go for a few months until I cancel Hulu.

Prime pretty much pays for itself in free shipping and convenience so will keep that.

They are kinda like drug dealers. What was Netflix when it shifted to streaming? Like $7/mo for streaming and mail-in videos? Didn't have original content yet but think it's catalog of TV was actually better since it didn't have so much splintering from competition.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT