ADVERTISEMENT

OTB Post About Solicitation for Season Tix

That account executive should be fired immediately. There is no way in hell that Rutgers would approve of that strategy.

Reactions: Local Shill
I agree with the writer and the OP. Terrible idea. Hopefully, it was a one-off by an individual ticket rep that was not sanctioned by the Athletics Department. Hopefully, Hobbs shuts this down. One thing Julie did a good job of was keeping tickets out of the hands of visiting teams like PSU and Mich in order to give our team a real home field advantage. In fact, I was frankly stunned at the lack of PSU fans at RU in 2014. I'd hate to see that change.

Agreed that this is a huge blunder on the part of the ticket rep.

What should have been said is that tickets for the top games were very expensive on the secondary market and that buying a season ticket maximizes value. Then the reader can figure out on his own that you can resell the top 2 games and recoup almost the entire cost, if not more, of a season ticket.

I did not get that email. I'm guessing it was a one-off by a rogue ticket rep.
Agreed. I didn't get it either. Doesn't IMG run ticket sales now? No marketing messages/emails should be sent without approval by Rutgers & IMG & we should have templates to use & a QRG on do's & dont's.

Interesting tid bit. I was on the phone with the ticket office this afternoon and overheard someone gathering all the reps to discuss an email that went out to 10,000 people. I heard secondary market mentioned. I got the impression someone over stepped their authority.

Well apparently everyone sitting around me got this e-mail last year. As I was surrounded by Green, Silver and Nebraska Red at last year's home games. Although my new found grandfather sitting next to me from OSU was quite nice, telling me, "son don't worry it's going to get better."

Interesting tid bit. I was on the phone with the ticket office this afternoon and overheard someone gathering all the reps to discuss an email that went out to 10,000 people. I heard secondary market mentioned. I got the impression someone over stepped their authority.
10,000 people :scream: [poop] :chairshot: :uzi: :flush:

I got it and I was really disappointed. As a player parent, the last thing I want to see is Rutgers encouraging season ticket holders to sell to opposing fans.

Yeah, I think now something like this would roll up to him.

Somebody go throw a basketball at Tim.

Strangely enough, Tim was on campus today speaking to the current football players about life after the game. So they could have fired him haha

Can we fire Pernetti again :)

Don't he run IMG collegiate?

Yeah, I think now something like this would roll up to him.

Somebody go throw a basketball at Tim.

Strangely enough, Tim was on campus today speaking to the current football players about life after the game. So they could have fired him haha
Based on his bio, it doesn't look like he's responsible for this:

http://www.imgcollege.com/about/leadership-team/team/tim-pernetti

Tim Pernetti
President Of Multimedia

Tim Pernetti is President of Multimedia for IMG College, the nation’s leading collegiate multimedia, marketing and licensing and brand management company. Pernetti oversees IMG’s exclusive multimedia rights relationships spanning more than 90 universities and conferences, covering 51 of the top 56 U.S. Nielsen markets; the nation’s largest independent sports radio network; and the industry’s first and foremost national collegiate marketing platform.

Feel free to find the responsible leader from this list: http://www.imgcollege.com/about/leadership-team

It's a dumb thing to put In writing but let's be honest all the school cares about is selling tickets and making money. I've been told by my PSU rep on more than once occasion that I could resell unused tickets for profit.

All they needed to mention was how high dynamic pricing got for the game. It avoids the discussion of resale but shows the potential buyer how good of a deal season tickets are.

Reactions: ChasRC69
I agree with the writer and the OP. Terrible idea. Hopefully, it was a one-off by an individual ticket rep that was not sanctioned by the Athletics Department. Hopefully, Hobbs shuts this down. One thing Julie did a good job of was keeping tickets out of the hands of visiting teams like PSU and Mich in order to give our team a real home field advantage. In fact, I was frankly stunned at the lack of PSU fans at RU in 2014. I'd hate to see that change.
-----
The PSU game was our first big 10 game and most ticket holders were excited to see it...... So, by simple math, the game had far fewer PSU fans able to go..... Unfortunately as time went on more and more visiting fans were offered seats for big games..The OSU game this past year had many.....

If and when RU fields a top 20 type team we can hope our those selling fans would rather see our team play.

A real blunder that I hope has been brought to someone in authority to correct. Excellent explanation by the OP. The mini packages are a great idea but promoting them in a manner as outlined is just poor business. I think most of us are well aware as to what can and does happen but to advertise and encourage this puts the school and program in a bad light. Hobbs is no fool and this will be corrected very quickly as far as to how it is presented.

I did not get that email. I did get lots of season tickets renew emails, NONE of them said anything like that.

So once again OTB is going for click bait.

Very bad idea considering that unless the buyer is a licensed broker technically it is illegal to scalp them. So you essentially have a ticket representative promoting illegal activity. It also illegal still in many other states.
Not that I'm in favor of this in any way but..

Can't speak for Pennsy, in NJ you can scalp if you do it on line...
"There is no limit to the price that can be charged for tickets if the tickets are sold ONLINE and the seller is NOT A TICKET BROKER."
But only a broker can charge 20% or 3 dollars over purchase price, unless you use the internet. Not clear to me why our lawmakers think the internet makes it ok?
But if you stand outside the stadium and try to sell you are in violation of the law.
You can't sell in person (page 25) at or near the facility unless the organizer designates a location and it is face value.

Not that I'm in favor of this in any way but..

Can't speak for Pennsy, in NJ you can scalp if you do it on line...
"There is no limit to the price that can be charged for tickets if the tickets are sold ONLINE and the seller is NOT A TICKET BROKER."
But only a broker can charge 20% or 3 dollars over purchase price, unless you use the internet. Not clear to me why our lawmakers think the internet makes it ok?
But if you stand outside the stadium and try to sell you are in violation of the law.
You can't sell in person (page 25) at or near the facility unless the organizer designates a location and it is face value.
Bottom line is that it not an activity that the athletic department should be promoting if there are cases where it could be illegal.

Bottom line is that it not an activity that the athletic department should be promoting if there are cases where it could be illegal.
Agreed.
I think the Department's official line is use TixCity.
Which is admittedly a little like the NFL being opposed to gambling but the NFL network feeding all sort of stats important to the fantasy game.

We need to keep winning or all this discussion about premium prices, etc., will disappear completely. $$$$

It was a dumb move but totally honest statement to any and all "Ticker traders" (YO Jersey has a state full of wannabie "gangsters" types)
BTW we win and the tickets go to RU's "Sunshine Patriots" we lose early and they go to the opponent's fans as they want to come to see a beat down and then go party in the city. This is reality another example of poor salesmanship by Tim P. as president of IMG? << yes I put this at his feet to correct.
Errors happen; it happens again Fire TP AGAIN

I did not get that email. I did get lots of season tickets renew emails, NONE of them said anything like that.

So once again OTB is going for click bait.

I am not a season ticket holder but I bought a group of tickets to a game. I got the email and was quite upset by it. I'm sure my account rep has no idea that I am a parent of a player but still it is not the way to sell season tickets to R fans.

At first, I was sort of annoyed to read about this. Then I thought it a bit more.

Our first goal should be to sell out the stadium to all RU fans, except a tiny amount of predetermined "away" seats that all teams do. Nobody can argue that. And for sure, RU ticket reps should not be encouraging selling to opposing teams' fans. It'll happen anyway.

Our second goal should be to sell out the stadium to anybody so we get the revenue. This will often mean, in the short term, that we sell tix to opposing team's fans. That kind of sucks. I don't like it. But revenue is revenue. And again, RU tix reps shouldn't be pushing the idea. Let it just happen.

Finally, in the event that a lot of opposing fans do get tix to one of our home games, I'm consoled with the thought that we may well win the game. Which means that the more fans of opposing teams there are at the game, the more there are that will be sent home greatly disappointed. A nice bit of compensation for us having to put up with having away fans at our home game to go w/the nice compensation the away fans gave our athletics program by buying our tickets.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT