ADVERTISEMENT

Pikiell Sucks

He plays or tries to play physical and is a good teammate....that's what he brings to the table.
Trying to play physical and failing is not a thing I would taut as a good thing. Being a good teammate is always good but so is our walk on Terry who has been here 3 plus years and I do not see him getting any time.

What was the infatuation with Noah Fernandes? It pissed off Paul and likely caused his defection. That initial
portal bumble in turn has ruined Cliff.

We never needed a pg, we needed a glass cleaning big and a shooter. Those additions should have been doable in the portal with the exit of Jalen Miller, Dean Reiber, and the ever useless Oskar Palmquist.

As far as figuring it out, I still think Mag holds value for next year, we shouldn't alienate him and it seems like Pike is trying to give him some rest. After seeing his backstory and beautiful host family from Napa, these are connections you have to keep.

GG should be starting the rest of the year. And J-Mike will be on the roster with Ace.

Everyone else is expendable assuming Pike has a proper plan for the portal. We need more CJ Gettys, Cams, and Yeboahs to pair with the dynamic duo

This years portal crop is a gaggle of Souf Mensah’s.

Lastly, Pat Hobbs needs use his law degree to make some noise about the ncaa sitting on their hands about Jeremiah Williams.
Noah was a very good shooter year after year.... until now sadly. Pike was always going to bring in a guard.

If Noah scared Paul somehow, it makes zero sense he would be not afraid of the competition at Washington

......and what makes matters worse is Paul Mulcahy positioned status never changed lol , still playing off the bench and remember he went figuring he could be a full time starter you know that guy lol but never happened.
Huh??? I realize that Paul hasn't been playing the number of minutes that most starters get, but just to be fair to him, Washington has played 21 games so far. Paul Mulcahy sat out one game due to injury and he's started in all 20 of the other games. (He's also been shooting better in their last 3 games now that his finger is healed, playing 26, 24, and 31 minutes and shooting a combined 15-21 FG, 4-8 3PT, 5-5 FT, and scoring 10, 11, and 18 points respectively.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
It’s not debatable. Only a clueless moron would think Greg Schiano (whom I like very much) has had more success than Pike.

It’s not like we got infinitely better after 06. Taking a program out of a grave isn’t a linear process. There will be ups and downs.

It was still another 5 years before we pulled in a top 25 recruiting class for FB. And the 4 win 2010 debacle…

Greg said it best. It’s a lot of work to get to the top 25. A ton more work to take the next step.

Huh??? I realize that Paul hasn't been playing the number of minutes that most starters get, but just to be fair to him, Washington has played 21 games so far. Paul Mulcahy sat out one game due to injury and he's started in all 20 of the other games. (He's also been shooting better in their last 3 games now that his finger is healed, playing 26, 24, and 31 minutes and shooting a combined 15-21 FG, 4-8 3PT, 5-5 FT, and scoring 10, 11, and 18 points respectively.)
Imagine having guard play like that here *sigh*

Reactions: needmorecowbell
It’s not debatable. Only a clueless moron would think Greg Schiano (whom I like very much) has had more success than Pike.
This is 100% a war I would take.

Schiano has done far more, is more well known, and more successful than Pike.

Not to mention it’s a hill with basketball and a mountain with football, but I suppose that’s a different discussion.

Reactions: socaldave
It’s not even a Pike vs Schiano thing, not sure how this thread got there.

Pike got absolutely crushed by the portal, and that’s on him. He brought in a guy like Fernandes, who clearly doesn’t belong at this level. And it’s not exactly the first time that’s happened…

Regardless, the guy obviously gets a free pass this season given the recruiting haul he’s bringing in.

If next season is like this year, then yeah, I’m going to be calling for him to be let go. Anyone that disagrees with that likely was an Ash supporter.

This is 100% a war I would take.

Schiano has done far more, is more well known, and more successful than Pike.

Not to mention it’s a hill with basketball and a mountain with football, but I suppose that’s a different discussion.

Dont understand how you can view one pinstripe bowl appearance and 0 appearances in the top 25 more successful than 13 weeks in the top 25, 3 straight ncaa appearances and an nit.

Dont understand how you can view one pinstripe bowl appearance and 0 appearances in the top 25 more successful than 13 weeks in the top 25, 3 straight ncaa appearances and an nit.
Just responded to your other post, but GS 1.0 doesn’t count?

Regardless doesn’t matter, Rutgers will be ranked this season.

Also don’t mention the NIT lol, it’s embarrassing. They got bounced by Hofstra lol.

Also don’t mention the NIT lol, it’s embarrassing. They got bounced by Hofstra lol.

So rankings don’t matter to you as far as success…how do you measure success then?

Rutgers bball beat 4 straight top 25 ranked teams last year. Still waiting for a Rutgers big win for Schiano 2.0 unfortunately

Wut? GS 1.0 doesn’t count?
Of course it does. And when someone pays Pike millions to coach in the NBA, let me know. Remember, someone thought Schiano was qualified to coach in the NFL. And some coach in New England thought having a bunch of his players made a lot of sense. When Pike sends as many players to the pros as Schiano, maybe then they'll be even.

So rankings don’t matter to you as far as success…how do you measure success then?
No they don’t lol.

Rutgers lacrosse was ranked #1 in the country a few years back and didn’t make the NCAA tournament.

The harsh harsh harsh reality that people won’t own up to is that Pike’s best season was the covid shutdown year where he went 20-11.

That team was awesome to watch, without a doubt, and there have absolutely been great games and fun times.

I’m not even hating. I’m just saying outside of that season, we’ve been a bubble team. That’s all, it’s not as impressive as people are making it out to be.

The job that GS has done is FAR more impressive IMO, but I also know what’s coming in 2024 so perhaps this is something to check back in after next season.

The fact that R Football was bullying Ohio State in football for 3Qs is far more impressive to me than R Basketball beating #1 Purdue.

I realize how stupid that will sound to some, but that’s just the way I feel.

Of course it does. And when someone pays Pike millions to coach in the NBA, let me know. Remember, someone thought Schiano was qualified to coach in the NFL. And some coach in New England thought having a bunch of his players made a lot of sense. When Pike sends as many players to the pros as Schiano, maybe then they'll be even.
A great point. Schiano was viewed as a top 32 coach in the country at one point.

The greatest coach in NFL history salivated over his players for years.

No they don’t lol.

Rutgers lacrosse was ranked #1 in the country a few years back and didn’t make the NCAA tournament.

The harsh harsh harsh reality that people won’t own up to is that Pike’s best season was the covid shutdown year where he went 20-11.

That team was awesome to watch, without a doubt, and there have absolutely been great games and fun times.

I’m not even hating. I’m just saying outside of that season, we’ve been a bubble team. That’s all, it’s not as impressive as people are making it out to be.

The job that GS has done is FAR more impressive IMO, but I also know what’s coming in 2024 so perhaps this is something to check back in after next season.

The fact that R Football was bullying Ohio State in football for 3Qs is far more impressive to me than R Basketball beating #1 Purdue.

Yes, calling a 35-16 loss against the #1 team more impressive than multiple wins against the #1 team is in fact breathtakingly stupid.

No they don’t lol.

But we’re talking “success”..not “impression”.

are you saying Rutgers football hanging with OSU for 3 quarters but losing…shows more success than Rutgers hoops BEATING #1 Purdue?

I think it's Pickel actually.

Then you would prove to be what the other clown is.

Oh he is.
I'm fairly certain the average 5 year old could read this thread and discern that I do not actually believe our coach's name is Pickel but we now have two posters ITT who cannot. One of them also believes I was sincere when I stated that Pikiell should get credit for reaching the Big Ten tournament every year.

The internet is dangerous for people this stupid.

Yes, calling a 35-16 loss against the #1 team more impressive than multiple wins against the #1 team is in fact breathtakingly stupid.
But we’re talking “success”..not “impression”.

are you saying Rutgers football hanging with OSU for 3 quarters but losing…shows more success than Rutgers hoops BEATING #1 Purdue?
correct.

It's actually fairly common for the #1 team in basketball to fall, even multiple times in one season. They're two totally different sports and should be evaluated differently.

The David vs Goliath is not the same in RU vs OSU football as it is in RU vs Purdue Bball. It's just not.

St Peter's also beat Purdue. St. Peter's is not beating Ohio State in football. App State beat Michigan in football all those years ago and it sent the sports world into a frenzy because that's a once in a lifetime thing.

Call me an idiot, that's fine. But I saw a Rutgers football team straight up bully Ohio State for 3Qs.

correct.

It's actually fairly common for the #1 team in basketball to fall, even multiple times in one season. They're two totally different sports and should be evaluated differently.

The David vs Goliath is not the same in RU vs OSU football as it is in RU vs Purdue Bball. It's just not.

St Peter's also beat Purdue. St. Peter's is not beating Ohio State in football. App State beat Michigan in football all those years ago and it sent the sports world into a frenzy because that's a once in a lifetime thing.

Call me an idiot, that's fine. But I saw a Rutgers football team straight up bully Ohio State for 3Qs.
I get what you're saying but there is a big difference between upsetting OSU and almost upsetting OSU. Almost upsets don't count for anything and happen much more frequently than actual upsets

Also, upsetting a 1 ranked team once could be a fluke. Back to back seasons is much more impressive. 4 ranked teams in a row is extremely impressive. They started calling us the ranked reapers. Eventually quantity of big upsets has to count for something

Schiano 2.0 has zero signature wins that I can recall. Have we beat even one ranked team? It's mostly beating bad OOC teams and picking off bottom dwelling B1G teams

I think it does happen for Schiano 2.0 next season, but so far it's been a slow long rebuild. The future looks brighter than the actual on field success at this point

Reactions: S_Janowski
correct.

Yes but we didn’t win, we lost by 19 points. If we had actually won the game I would completely agree it was more impressive but we weren’t even all that close.

Yes but we didn’t win, we lost by 19 points. If we had actually won the game I would completely agree it was more impressive but we weren’t even all that close.
Hence why football and basketball are not the same. Mountain vs Hill.

Also let’s not act like we dominated the Purdue games lol. If you’re gonna do the whole “we lost by 19 points” thing, I’ll just have to do the “we won on a mid court prayer and last second shot” thing.

I get what you're saying but there is a big difference between upsetting OSU and almost upsetting OSU. Almost upsets don't count for anything and happen much more frequently than actual upsets

Also, upsetting a 1 ranked team once could be a fluke. Back to back seasons is much more impressive. 4 ranked teams in a row is extremely impressive. They started calling us the ranked reapers. Eventually quantity of big upsets has to count for something

Schiano 2.0 has zero signature wins that I can recall. Have we beat even one ranked team? It's mostly beating bad OOC teams and picking off bottom dwelling B1G teams

I think it does happen for Schiano 2.0 next season, but so far it's been a slow long rebuild. The future looks brighter than the actual on field success at this point
Well sure, but is also super early in GS 2.0. That’s why I said GS 1.0 doesn’t count? That seems like cherry picking a bit to me.

Hence why football and basketball are not the same. Mountain vs Hill.

Also let’s not act like we dominated the Purdue games lol. If you’re gonna do the whole “we lost by 19 points” thing, I’ll just have to do the “we won on a mid court prayer and last second shot” thing.
But we actually won. And we also beat #1 Purdue in another game that did not require a half court prayer. You want to compare this to.. not being completely embarrassed by Ohio State.

It's completely apparent you have no idea what you're talking about.

Well sure, but is also super early in GS 2.0. That’s why I said GS 1.0 doesn’t count? That seems like cherry picking a bit to me.
For the record I am a big Greg fan for sure but even in a blatantly obvious bad year with a bad team Pike still may manage to beat multiple tourney teams (yes I get time will tell but Hall, Nebraska, and maybe Indiana all have a chance to dance and maybe we pull off an upset or two) In Greg 2.0 best year we beat three teams that bowled. You want to be down on the team this year that is fine but the overall Pike bashing is ridiculous. Oh and Greg will NEVER sniff a class like Pike has coming in.

Yeah I mean our football team took a nice step forward this season but it's just super silly to hold up a game we had no chance of winning anywhere near the end as some greatly impressive thing.

But we actually won. And we also beat #1 Purdue in another game that did not require a half court prayer. You want to compare this to.. not being completely embarrassed by Ohio State.

It's completely apparent you have no idea what you're talking about.
lol this is the problem around here. It’s the same reason people seem to think it’s a talent issue we have this season.

I don’t care if a bucket goes in. I care about the shot opportunity that was created. I don’t care about wins/losses, I care about what I see with my own two eyes.

In other words, for me in sport, the end does not justify the means.

In 2021 are you going to act like Purdue didn’t go 7/26 for 26.9% behind the 3PT arc where RU went 7/14 for 50%?

Both those numbers are not what those teams are.

Or the fact that in 2022 Purdue went 19-28 from the free throw line vs RU’s 9-11 and they lost by 1.

I’m not trying to diminish the wins, which you’re honestly forcing me to do. They are excellent wins. But beating the #1 team in basketball is not exactly a rare thing.

It’s basketball, sometimes it’s just not your night and that’s the way it goes. Very similar to baseball in that way.

For the record I am a big Greg fan for sure but even in a blatantly obvious bad year with a bad team Pike still may manage to beat multiple tourney teams (yes I get time will tell but Hall, Nebraska, and maybe Indiana all have a chance to dance and maybe we pull off an upset or two) In Greg 2.0 best year we beat three teams that bowled. You want to be down on the team this year that is fine but the overall Pike bashing is ridiculous. Oh and Greg will NEVER sniff a class like Pike has coming in.
It’s basketball. That’s the point.

They’re two totally different sports.

lol this is the problem around here. It’s the same reason people seem to think it’s a talent issue we have this season.

I don’t care if a bucket goes in. I care about the shot opportunity that was created. I don’t care about wins/losses, I care about what I see with my own two eyes.

In other words, for me in sport, the end does not justify the means.

In 2021 are you going to act like Purdue didn’t go 7/26 for 26.9% behind the 3PT arc where RU went 7/14 for 50%?

Both those numbers are not what those teams are.

Or the fact that in 2022 Purdue went 19-28 from the free throw line vs RU’s 9-11 and they lost by 1.

I’m not trying to diminish the wins, which you’re honestly forcing me to do. They are excellent wins. But beating the #1 team in basketball is not exactly a rare thing.

It’s basketball, sometimes it’s just not your night and that’s the way it goes. Very similar to baseball in that way.
Mate, I'm not arguing that beating Purdue is some amazingly impressive legacy defining thing. But it is certainly more impressive than GETTING BLOWN OUT BY A LITTLE LESS AGAINST OHIO STATE. I'm pretty sure the #1 team in football wins by less than 20 points on a fairly regular basis.

Mate, I'm not arguing that beating Purdue is some amazingly impressive legacy defining thing. But it is certainly more impressive than GETTING BLOWN OUT BY A LITTLE LESS AGAINST OHIO STATE. I'm pretty sure the #1 team in football wins by less than 20 points on a fairly regular basis.
Did you watch the game?

Please explain.

How is 3 ncaa tournaments, 12 weeks in the top 25…not more successful then one minor bowl appearance and 0 weeks in top 25??
I’m not trying to argue. I’ll agree to disagree but I believe Gs 1.0 is more successful than anything Pike did for us thus far.

Rutgers is always ranked, just nowhere near the top. Golden Gavin will be ranked too, below 100.

The stark truth about 1.0 is forgotten. The three top BE teams (which he never beat) left the conference enabling him to reach his glorious BE #3 Texas Bowl pinnacle. The world tuned in to watch that game against mighty KSU. Oh wait, it was only on the NFL network. His "success" and program improvement, even with better players, wasn't real. All other BE teams except USF won the conference, even UCONN.

Adjusting for size of the Big10, imagine removing the 6 best teams from the conference and then contemplate how Pikiell would be judged. The Dance every year, likely with a few conference titles.

Pikiell is by far a better coach and more successful relative to the competition he's faced. He's already beaten all the top teams in the conference. Neither 1.0 nor 2.0 has ever beaten any of them.

correct.

I’m not gonna call someone I don’t know an idiot. All good…we agree to disagree.

You keep going back to the OSU football game, though. It seems success to you isn’t winning or losing…but being competitive? Ehhhhh..just disagree on that

Reactions: Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT