ADVERTISEMENT

Potential Benefits of a B1G-NBC TV Deal

NOT YET

Do you think that the B1G is going to move half of the TV content to NBC who, other than 7 Notre Dame football games, is not really in the college football business.

The answer is no....NOT YET

But what you DO do....is

1.) legitimately negotiate with them....
2.) Find out what their plans would be if they did win the rights
3.) Find out if they can bring Notre Dame in the fold....
4.) Set the ground work for the NEXT media deal (which is not that far off) on what they do need to do to get a share..
5.) Make ESPN really nervous to pony up...and make them realize that if they do not want to truly promote the big ten brand...that there certainly other who do

I will be shocked if the other half does not go to ESPN/ABC....at a favorable price to the B1G

If you doubt that...take a look at mattsarzsports for the last couple of years weekly TV schedule and how the B1G games fill it...and then start to look at what would replace the B1G games. The answer they need the B1G and will pay for it

And getting NBC involved now really sets the table for them to be a serious bidder next time around

This, my friends, is about long term strategy

And Jim Delany is always three moves ahead...

Shutting ESPN out could be a double-edged sword. Yea it hurts their inventory, but then they barely talk about you look at hockey or any G5 league that doesn't really have a relationship with them. On the other hand they do talk plenty about Notre Dame whom they don't have a relationship with for football. It'd be similarly tough to ignore the Big Ten.

And I'm fully on board with a combination of Fox, NBC, FS1, NBC Sports, BTN and even FS2 for minor football and basketball games and non-revs as the TV platforms. I'll assume CBS remains a limited partner for basketball as well.

Update: To address what Scarlet Shack said, it could also very easily work in this manner you describe as well.

Reactions: MikeR0102
NBC Sports is on life support other than this summer's Olympics. They have a fraction of the platform outlets that ESPN has . I don't see this happening.

We need to acknowledge that now we have revenue, we don't need to shed ESPN, we should see what we can do....it's insanity anyway you slice it....no one watches NBC and I don't remember to watch Notre Dame on a Saturday.

Like it or not, ESPN/ABC is it folks....time to just focus on playing better football and recruiting.....last thing I'm worried about is revenue or exposure for the programs.

Reactions: Abro1975
Hate the "no one watches NBC" argument.

If there was something on NBC u want to watch...people will watch.

NHL fans like their coverage. Soccer fans seem to love their EPL coverage.

NASCAR..which just signed a deal with them, had a ratings boost last year from NBC.

It is exposure and TV eyeballs/market share. and Yes the "Espin" has that
But the wedge between ESPin is also the "crappie conference" they project us as, as they hype the SEC.
If we go NBC they will get eyeballs, as NBC is in all base packages But to go down to a sports channel like Fox1 that would hurt viewer #s.
So in the game of the deal, we would need to be the premium sports game on Saturday night.
Jimmy will make the deal sweet for the B1G hold on and enjoy the ride.

NBC was the front runner for PAC 12 rights in their 2011 bid before ESPN and FOX won it "surprisingly".

Seems like they want to be a player in college football.

Also,

NBC would try to negotiate out of conference games between the B10 schools and ND so that they control both sides. If ND plays a home and home against UConn with the UConn game at Gillette Stadium it falls under the AAC deal which I believe is ESPN. But if ND schedules a deal against Maryland with the Maryland home game in the NFL stadium in Baltimore or DC the game would be on NBC with an NBC deal. Instead of airing ND 7 times a year they can try and get them 8 to 9 times a year.

On top of that:
NBC Sports does a lot of obscure sports other than NHL. This provides content on NBC Sports, CNBC, and other networks. On a Saturday the stock markets are closed so CNBC shows re-runs or paid programming. I bet they would get better ratings with a Rutgers vs. Maryland game.

So each week:
1 B10 game on either FOX or NBC
2-3 B10 games on Fox Sports1, NBC Sports, and / or CNBC
3 games on BTN (this is needed or else the BTN will have a lot of soccer on Saturdays in the fall)

For weeks when it is only conference play there are only 7 games to show but early in the season there can be 12-14 games to show each week.

If the Big Ten were to sell the rest of the rights to NBC, the only teams that would receive any mentions or coverage on ESPN would be Ohio State and Jim Harbaugh and the bitchigan wolverines. ESPN would not even utter our name. Conversely, it would strip ESPN of some of the power it holds over college football which is absolutely a good thing for the sport. ESPN has more influence and control over college football than the NCAA for the moment, they are the reason the SEC was always in the BCS championship game.

Hate the "no one watches NBC" argument.

If there was something on NBC u want to watch...people will watch.

NHL fans like their coverage. Soccer fans seem to love their EPL coverage.

NASCAR..which just signed a deal with them, had a ratings boost last year from NBC.
Olympic coverage is on NBC.

I do t think you have to worry about NBC being as they are owned by Comcast the money is endless

NBC is a major network player. Their sports division just needs quality content. They misplayed recent contract talks for CFB. If they win part of the B1G contract, I'm sure they will "hire" in top broadcasters. ESPN continues to jettison staff.

Reactions: JerseyVegas
If Espn doesn't get any B1G rights, I will have no reason to have that channel. None. The question then is can I get rid of it or is bundled with something else that I will need to watch RU on FS1 or whatever.

I would love to get rid of Espn.

the reason the SEC was always in the BCS championship game.

Bullshit..:the SEC was in the CG because they were better teams...don't like that? Too f***ing bad...they simply were...and far better than the B1G at the time.../fact

I'm in favor of whatever plan puts multiple Big Ten games on FREE tv every week, because over-the-air games are the best way to reach the casual fan. that's why Notre Dame's status is so self-reinforcing.

But if NBC were to become the ND/OSU/Michigan network, that might not be very fun.

Imagine B1G doubleheaders on NBC every other week (when ND is away), and on Fox every week. That would be a lot of over-the-air games, even more so than the past with ABC.

In that scenario, a revamped Rutgers program becomes downright scary to everyone as a ratings draw, including OSU and Michigan.

We're now in a world where you need cable to watch the Rose Bowl and the national championship playoffs. But the best way for a fanbase to grow is to be on free tv. Jim Delany has to know this, and I'd consider taking less money than Fox gave if there are guarantees of more network games instead of NBCSN games.

Last edited:
I'm not against the Big Ten moving away from ESPN/ABC exclusivity, but there are cons to taking more money elsewhere. People don't just casually flip to Fox Sports 1 or NBCSN to see what they are showing, like they do with ESPN1 and 2. Having games on NBC every week would be great, but there is a big drop off in real exposure when considering NBCSN

Reactions: lighty
NBC Sports is on life support other than this summer's Olympics. They have a fraction of the platform outlets that ESPN has . I don't see this happening.

Do you really think if a deal like this happened that NBC Sports Channel wouldn't suddenly be in every bar, hotel, and cable system (at least throughout the midwest and east coast areas) ?

If it was me, I'd actually split the deal between ESPN and NBC unless one came up with an offer you couldn't say no to. My reasoning is:

a) ESPN/ABC will take a huge hit if they lose Big Ten football. Yes, they have the SEC and ACC, but that's a huge hit.
b) NBC Sports needs a p5 league and the Big Ten would be a home run for them

Plus as much as people here might hate ESPN, the spin would be even worse if they didn't broadcast any Big Ten games. I'm not sure the conference is as prepared to leave that behind as many are.

I'd like to see an NBC deal and no ESpin.
I would love to see a deal in which NBC and ESPN each win 25 percent of the remaining Big Ten TV rights for 150 million a year each (with Fox already being the reported winner of the other 50 percent of the TV rights at 250 Million a year.

Would bring the rights deal to $550 million a year in total.

My money is that is what Delaney is working on. Maybe not NBC but it will be ESPN and someone else. I think ESPN is definitely one of the players.

I would love to see a deal in which NBC and ESPN each win 25 percent of the remaining Big Ten TV rights for 150 million a year each (with Fox already being the reported winner of the other 50 percent of the TV rights at 250 Million a year.

Would bring the rights deal to $550 million a year in total.

My money is that is what Delaney is working on. Maybe not NBC but it will be ESPN and someone else. I think ESPN is definitely one of the players.

Don't forget that the Big Ten Network also pays a yearly rights fee as well. I believe it is approximately 110 Million a year.

This idea sounds like the best of all possible worlds! Hope Delaney makes it happen.

Wouldn't it be better to be the crown in NBC's lineup than a cog in ESPN's machine? Look at how they mythologize Notre Dame on a weekly basis.

Someone does have a point up there, if NBC picks up the rest of the Big Ten games, it will be the ND/OSU/Jim Harbaugh love fest channel. The rest of the teams will not be given fair coverage or a fair shake by the commentators. I do think anything that strips ESPN of it's stranglehold of power over college football is good. But there will be some catches that come along with it.

Maybe such a deal would give ESPN the opportunity to go back to reporting on sports fairly rather than using the sports news segment of their programming largely to sell the products they carry.

If they were to leave ESPN completely I'd prefer they chop up the last 1/2 into quarters. You have to match the exposure of ESPN. NBC can have great production, coverage etc.. but it doesn't mean as much if they don't have the exposure and alone they don't. I don't think they have enough room on their own.

To me the alternative to the exposure of ESPN is the broadcast networks but NBC on its own doesn't have enough room. That's why I've said maybe a way to have CBS/NBC partner where you have access to both their broadcast channels and possible double headers with the SEC/ND. You'd then have access to 3 of the broadcast networks too in Fox, NBC, CBS and that would help balance the loss of exposure from being off ESPN completely. Maybe a CBS/Turner partnership could be okay but still not sure if it's as intuitive for the average viewer to go to Turner. They used to broadcast PAC12 games years ago but I don't know how well they did in ratings. I always forgot they were there frankly.

In the end, I still think the most likely solution is for ESPN to have some piece of the pie whether it's 1/2 or 1/4 or what have you I don't know. Exposure is key, any alternative solution where ESPN is out has to be on par, and I don't see a lot of options beyond what I outlined above and in other threads.

BTW, I don't know if the 250M is just an automatic double. I don't know that we can assume that with what's out there. It might be but we don't know. Is that 250M paying for a "generic" package of games or is it paying for a package with all the "bells and whistles." The articles have stated "as much" as 250M. Does that mean Fox gets first choices for the games for the life of their contract and the OSU/Michigan and B10 champ games every year? Or is it paying just for a generic set of games where they have to rotate picks, B10 champ games, etc.. with other tv partners? If Fox has all the "bells and whistles" the other half by default does't seem like it should be worth the same.

Last edited:
If ESPN isn't broadcasting any of the big tens games the big ten will be at a compatative disadvantage in building the brands of their schools for the high school and younger population. That is the reality whether we want to like it or not.

If ESPN isn't broadcasting any of the big tens games the big ten will be at a compatative disadvantage in building the brands of their schools for the high school and younger population. That is the reality whether we want to like it or not.

Yup. I also don't think it's in the B1G's best interest to break away completely. They have too much say in determining public perception.

Besides I really, really want to have Gameday at RU some day.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
It would be good if everyone put away their hatred for ESPN for a second and thought clearly. ESPN and their networks are by far the top sports producers out there with the largest audience share. Its the GoTo channel for a majority of sports fans. If we were to cut ties with them, we could hurt our leagues popularity nationally. We want to have exposure on their networks.

Reactions: NorthNJRUFan
It would be good if everyone put away their hatred for ESPN for a second and thought clearly. ESPN and their networks are by far the top sports producers out there with the largest audience share. Its the GoTo channel for a majority of sports fans. If we were to cut ties with them, we could hurt our leagues popularity nationally. We want to have exposure on their networks.
Nah. Why love when hate is so much more fun? I trust Delaney will get us the best deal AND position us for the future, so have no problems when fans rip into espin.

F espn, and their horsesh!t cross promotion. Sometimes you just want to watch a game, not get force fed all of Disney's other properties. One thing to keep in mind, these guys aren't sports or even entertainment. They are a marketing company, designed to move product. They can blow it out of Mickeys' ahole.

And I agree with others, I watched that station a lot more when they had Aussie rules football. Other than the 10 seconds before I start to get queasy, have not watched sportscenter in about 20 years. What little I have seen is pure dreck.

Just for kicks I watched sports center this morning for the first time in about 10 years . What garbage it has become . Who is that show supposed to appeal to ?
I do like espn's college game day and the college hoops and football coverage .

College game day is the best show on tv

And FYI. Obviously fox and nbc do the same cross promotional stuff Disney does. The only difference is you guys don't notice it bc you aren't watching those channels!

Helllooooooo :)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT