ADVERTISEMENT

Program of November 8, 1921 Knute Rockne & Notre Dame vs. Foster Sanford & Rutgers

Source

Heisman Winner
Aug 1, 2001
Just saw this tonight on ebay for those with a $100+ wallet and interest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-1921-N...054464?hash=item3ae1f55380:g:DfIAAOSw3ZRZANns

Notre Dame and Knute Rockne made their first New York area appearance ever in a game against Rutgers Foster Sanford on November 8, 1921 and shut out the Scarlet 48-0 before 15,000 at the Polo Grounds. According to the November 9, 1921 New York Daily News, two amazing drop kicks by Paul Castner were made with his left foot, “The first was booted from the 45 yard line. On the second attempt he was standing on the 53-yard line when he received the pass from the center.” The same day’s New York Tribune said the drop-kicks were good from 43 and 47 yards out. That Monday’s Daily Home News said the kick could have been good from 55 or 60 yards out. There was one bright spot, though. The November 16, 1921 Targum reported the game would add to a season where Rutgers football would show a record profit of between $8,000-$10,000.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Awesome post. Thanks!

Always love reading about Rutgers sports back in the pre-Rutgers Stadium days.

Awesome post. Thanks! Always love reading about Rutgers sports back in the pre-Rutgers Stadium days.

Well then.... read on!

After the game, Rutgers and Notre Dame coaches, players and school officials did something reminiscent of the early days of college football. They went to the New York Athletic Club, “The occasion was as enjoyable as it was unique. It is very seldom that opposing teams meet each other for dinner after a game… the spirit of the dinner one of good friendship,” according to the November 12, 1921 Daily Home News. Short speeches were given by Rutgers L.F. Loree and Notre Dame’s Father Burns and Father McGinn. Notre Dame then went to the Hippodrome and Rutgers attended “The O’Brien Girl” at the Liberty Theatre.

Just saw this tonight on ebay for those with a $100+ wallet and interest:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-1921-N...054464?hash=item3ae1f55380:g:DfIAAOSw3ZRZANns

Notre Dame and Knute Rockne made their first New York area appearance ever in a game against Rutgers Foster Sanford on November 8, 1921 and shut out the Scarlet 48-0 before 15,000 at the Polo Grounds. According to the November 9, 1921 New York Daily News, two amazing drop kicks by Paul Castner were made with his left foot, “The first was booted from the 45 yard line. On the second attempt he was standing on the 53-yard line when he received the pass from the center.” The same day’s New York Tribune said the drop-kicks were good from 43 and 47 yards out. That Monday’s Daily Home News said the kick could have been good from 55 or 60 yards out. There was one bright spot, though. The November 16, 1921 Targum reported the game would add to a season where Rutgers football would show a record profit of between $8,000-$10,000.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Condition on this item is rather weak and unfortunately (or fortunately) the opponent is Notre Dame. That will increase the number of bidders. Suspect it will go for $400+

Condition on this item is rather weak and unfortunately (or fortunately) the opponent is Notre Dame. That will increase the number of bidders. Suspect it will go for $400+

I have seen Notre Dame items from the 1920s like this go up to $1,000. I think you're right about it fetching hundreds. I'm gonna guess $700. This was the first game in the history of Notre Dame that they played in New York City. So if you're a fan of the team, you probably want this one.

I have seen Notre Dame items from the 1920s like this go up to $1,000. I think you're right about it fetching hundreds. I'm gonna guess $700. This was the first game in the history of Notre Dame that they played in New York City. So if you're a fan of the team, you probably want this one.
especially for all those Jersey Notre Dame fans who hate the State U.

I've got an unused ticket for ND's last game in their old stadium-against us-in 1996.Will that have any value?

I've got an unused ticket for ND's last game in their old stadium-against us-in 1996.Will that have any value?

If somebody is willing to offer you something for it, then it has value. Most likely, the value you are looking for is way down the road. Leave it to the grandkids. Put another way, what would you pay for a pristine ticket to the very first football game at the original Rutgers Stadium in 1938?

Curious to see what was happening with this program. The auction ends at 10:30 pm eastern tonight (May 3) and seven individuals have so far run the program up to $152.50.

The fun part comes in the final minute/s. I'm still way, way off on my prediction of $700. But crunch time is still to come.

If we won I'd buy it. Not really interested except from a historical perspective given the outcome of the game.

Speaking of EBay, look at this postcard.....Very unique and appears to be very old. To me, it looks like this might be a very early photograph of a football game. If it is, the sky is the limit for this one.

it appears to be from 1907 and it's not a football game but read below of what this great photo might be....
s-l1600.jpg

When Rutgers switched over from the kicking and batting football style of play to the tackling and running style, the October 12, 1877 Daily Times of New Brunswick commented, “…the game appears to a spectator more like a ‘cane’ rush than a game of foot ball.” At Rutgers, the football field hosted many cane rushes. They involved the stealing or defense of a cane and the right of freshman to use them before Washington’s Birthday, if successful, along with the wearing of top hats. Cane rushes pre-date the first intercollegiate football game. But the rush in 1900 nearly killed a student and the September 22, 1901 New York Times reported, “The underclasses of Rutgers College experimented yesterday afternoon with a ‘rope rush,’ substituted for the old time cane rush which was abolished last year because it was too brutal.

The freshman and sophomore met for the first rope rush on Neilson Field yesterday. The two classes were fairly evenly matched, the freshman numbering 36 to 32 sophomore. When the signal to start was given, the freshman divided up in squads of four, each of which seized a sophomore and bound him up with lengths of rope, two of which had been given to each student. The sophomores fought hard, but only managed to tie up 13 freshman. At the end of 14 minutes, every sophomore was bound. As fast as the men were tied up they were carried from the field by the upper classmen, who managed the affair…. An admission was being charged, to witness the rush, a large sum being realized and donated to the Athletic Association.” The rope rush was halftime entertainment when North Carolina visited Rutgers on October 4, 1919.

Reactions: GoodOl'Rutgers
$1,649.99 - That is simply unbelievable. I've seen other football programs from this era. They usually go for under $100. I thought the program may go for $700. Boy was I wrong. Again.... unbelievable.

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
If somebody is willing to offer you something for it, then it has value. Most likely, the value you are looking for is way down the road. Leave it to the grandkids. Put another way, what would you pay for a pristine ticket to the very first football game at the original Rutgers Stadium in 1938?
I have that ticket. :sunglasses:

5a811ea0-c84c-434d-98a3-0aa52faa632b.jpg

Very cool PiscatawayMike. I guess, for Ruhasarrived sake, I have to ask what you paid for it. That way we complete the loop of this thread. Where'd you find that ticket - and what appears to be pristine condition too!

$1,649.99 - That is simply unbelievable. I've seen other football programs from this era. They usually go for under $100. I thought the program may go for $700. Boy was I wrong. Again.... unbelievable.

The bidding history was interesting as the bids jumped from $455 to $1643. with a couple of bidders willing to go all out for it.

Well then.... read on!

After the game, Rutgers and Notre Dame coaches, players and school officials did something reminiscent of the early days of college football. They went to the New York Athletic Club, “The occasion was as enjoyable as it was unique. It is very seldom that opposing teams meet each other for dinner after a game… the spirit of the dinner one of good friendship,” according to the November 12, 1921 Daily Home News. Short speeches were given by Rutgers L.F. Loree and Notre Dame’s Father Burns and Father McGinn. Notre Dame then went to the Hippodrome and Rutgers attended “The O’Brien Girl” at the Liberty Theatre.
Now that would be a recruiting trip! We didn't need no stinkin' ESPN Zone back in the day.

Very cool PiscatawayMike. I guess, for Ruhasarrived sake, I have to ask what you paid for it. That way we complete the loop of this thread. Where'd you find that ticket - and what appears to be pristine condition too!
I paid roughly a hundred bucks each for the Hampden-Sydney (first game at Rutgers Stadium; Oct. 22, 1938) and Springfield (last game at Neilson Field, Oct. 15, 1938) tickets. I bought them on eBay about 15 years ago. The same person also sold a full ticket of the RU/PU Centennial Game at Rutgers Stadium on Sept. 27, 1969. However, the bidding for that ducat was too rich for my blood. IIRC, the winning bid was more than $300.

Was the stadium location ever part of NB? Or did someone just decide to use the true town name?

Was the stadium location ever part of NB? Or did someone just decide to use the true town name?

Not sure about the question but the original Rutgers Stadium was built in Piscataway on lands willed to Rutgers University. The campus was originally called the River Road Campus and later University Heights before the name was changed to Busch Campus in honor of a man who left RU $10 M estate and never had any known connections to Rutgers in his life.

PiscatawayMike: 300 for the ducat to the Centennial Football game in 1969? Whew! I have the Rutgers-Princeton Centennial Game football program from 1969. Just bought the commemorative 10 inch diameter plate. By the way, in my opinion, this etching does the most accurate job in depicting the November 6, 1869 game.

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
PiscatawayMike: 300 for the ducat to the Centennial Football game in 1969? Whew! I have the Rutgers-Princeton Centennial Game football program from 1969. Just bought the commemorative 10 inch diameter plate. By the way, in my opinion, this etching does the most accurate job in depicting the November 6, 1869 game.
I have that plate, too. Very nice! I have a ton of stuff commemorating the Centennial Game. Not getting that full ticket was a real disappointment, to be sure.

I have that plate, too. Very nice! I have a ton of stuff commemorating the Centennial Game. Not getting that full ticket was a real disappointment, to be sure.

I've been looking for the 1969 Rutgers-Delaware football program for a good friend. He has every program from that year except that one.

Do you have The First Game print done by Arnold Friberg for Chevrolet who sponsored the Football Centennial Game? Do you have the album that came out with the booklet?

I've been looking for the 1969 Rutgers-Delaware football program for a good friend. He has every program from that year except that one.

Do you have The First Game print done by Arnold Friberg for Chevrolet who sponsored the Football Centennial Game? Do you have the album that came out with the booklet?
Yeah, I have those, not the program, though.

That Delaware game in 1969 was on the road. We got smoked in that one. The first RU game I ever attended was vs. Delaware at Rutgers Stadium in 1968. I have the ticket stub. I was four years old. :smiley:

Yeah, I have those, not the program, though.

That Delaware game in 1969 was on the road. We got smoked in that one. The first RU game I ever attended was vs. Delaware at Rutgers Stadium in 1968. I have the ticket stub. I was four years old. :smiley:
Score at Delaware if I recall was 41-0. I remember thinking that we drove all the way done the turnpike for nothing.

s-l1600.jpg
plate is cool.. I got one of these from that game..

1969football.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT