ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue 30-1?

Happy with this. Want them to beat everyone they play except us. If we don’t play again- let them win out and win B1G tourney.

Either Rutgers goes on a tear and Purdue stumbles or we root for Purdue to win out.

Not sure we can catch Purdue unless Edey gets hurt though

We have losses coming. Road games at IU, Maryland, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. Hope we can split those and win out at home. That would put us at 17-3 but our home games aren't easy either. Still have to play MSU, OSU, Iowa, Illinois, IU, and Penn State there. I wouldn't be stunned if we lost one or two of those.

We have losses coming. Road games at IU, Maryland, Northwestern, and Wisconsin. Hope we can split those and win out at home. That would put us at 17-3 but our home games aren't easy either. Still have to play MSU, OSU, Iowa, Illinois, IU, and Penn State there. I wouldn't be stunned if we lost one or two of those.
When is at MD? I dont see that one

Reactions: hiwater and shields
NW is home March 5

Ha that makes more sense I was like…really you don’t remember the dramatic win at Northwrestern already this season.
Thought TC was either looking at a schedule from a previous year or smoking rocks.

Big 10 is down this year. Purdue is very good for sure . But not great, at least in my opinion.
I don't know if its down that much or there is just so much parity that everyone is beating everyone any night as most games are very closely contested; but its amazing we have the #1 ranked team and not another team is ranked

Big 10 is down this year. Purdue is very good for sure . But not great, at least in my opinion.
We started the year unranked. Not sure why everyone is judging us against some standard of greatness like we should look more impressive or better off than we are. This has been one hell of a run so far but we have exceeded expectations by a mile and won all of our close games except against you. It's not like anyone is out here saying we are an all-time great team. Now if Edey comes back next season and we retain all of our starters then expectations will be much higher I'm sure. But this season is like playing with house money. Just ride it and see how far it goes.

We started the year unranked. Not sure why everyone is judging us against some standard of greatness like we should look more impressive or better off than we are. This has been one hell of a run so far but we have exceeded expectations by a mile and won all of our close games except against you. It's not like anyone is out here saying we are an all-time great team. Now if Edey comes back next season and we retain all of our starters then expectations will be much higher I'm sure. But this season is like playing with house money. Just ride it and see how far it goes.
I think it is a great season so far.
Purdue has earned its #1 ranking.

Watch a Florida Atlantic or Charleston bounce them from the NCAA tournament.

My comment was more about the Big 10, not Purdue. Purdue is having a phenomenal season and deserves to be #1. My point is I think they are beating a average or above average teams. I dont think the Big is a great conference this year. Again, just my opinion

Reactions: TC4THREE
My comment was more about the Big 10, not Purdue. Purdue is having a phenomenal season and deserves to be #1. My point is I think they are beating a average or above average teams. I dont think the Big is a great conference this year. Again, just my opinion
Your opinion is wrong and demonstrates an ignorance of college basketball.

Certainly possible in this conference; there’s not much quality to challenge them outside of Rutgers and maybe 1 or 2 others.

The fact that Purdue is 20-1 and their second and third best players are true freshman guards who weren’t highly rated is remarkable to me.

You have to figure worst case scenario is you guys finish the B1G 15-5. Nobody else will be better than 13-7. You're in great shape and you earned it.

Your opinion is wrong and demonstrates an ignorance of college basketball.
Sure.. The big had 12 guys in the draft combine last year. Who are the great players this year outside of Edey? Last year you had Johnny Davis, Keegan Murray, EJ Lidell, Jaden Ivey, Travian William's ¡ Kofi Cockburn, Ron Harper Jr etc. If you want to argue teams like RU are playing better team ball, that's fine. I still think the league overall is pretty good, not great..

Last edited:
I don’t believe in the ‘house money’ thing. You think the Giants are satisfied with the Eagles loss since they weren’t expected to be any good this year ?

Last year Schiano was 5-7 (not counting bowl). We had a supposed rising star QB, an experienced veteran QB as well, and many starters returned. Then what happened ?

The next year never matters to the current year. The future is uncertain. Who thought Purdue would be just as good this year as last ? Or, Rutgers even better than last ?

Trends aren’t real. They are coincidence.

There is only one other league that can claim to be better this season, the Big XII. The parity is something else to this point. We are a blown call away from being 7-2, but also a couple late game winners away from being 4-5. There are seven teams within a game of one another from 5th to 7th. No nights off, even the worst team has shown it can scare anyone on any given night.

I think Purdue's game at Indiana is the most likely game they will lose coming up, which is interesting emotional timing for the Hoosiers because we come to town three days later.

I don’t believe in the ‘house money’ thing. You think the Giants are satisfied with the Eagles loss since they weren’t expected to be any good this year ?

Last year Schiano was 5-7 (not counting bowl). We had a supposed rising star QB, an experienced veteran QB as well, and many starters returned. Then what happened ?

The next year never matters to the current year. The future is uncertain. Who thought Purdue would be just as good this year as last ? Or, Rutgers even better than last ?

Trends aren’t real. They are coincidence.
No but at the same time the majority of people, including nearly all of our fans, had penciled in this year as a hope-to-make-the-tournament type of season. Now all of a sudden we are #1 in the country for several weeks and people start talking like if we lose in the second round of the tournament the season will be a huge disappointment. It would be a disappointing end to the season but overall the season will be a huge success unless the wheels come off in February. By contrast, last season felt disappointing pretty much after Harper's halfcourt shot went down. No Big Ten championship. No BTT championship. Only made it to the Sweet Sixteen and lost to Saint Peter's. Just different expectations between this year and last year.

The fact that Purdue is 20-1 and their second and third best players are true freshman guards who weren’t highly rated is remarkable to me.
Coach Painter recruits to his system. The ratings system puts a premium on athleticism which is maybe the 3rd or 4th characteristic we seem to recruit on. We recruit skill over athleticism. Shooting and ball handling skills above all else. We also recruit many kids who grow up with a basketball background in their family. Ivey. Both Smith and Loyer. We have Tamika Catching's nephew coming in 2024.

We've been high on both Smith and Loyer since before they committed. Didn't necessarily think both would play this big a role as freshmen though.

Reactions: Scarlet83
No but at the same time the majority of people, including nearly all of our fans, had penciled in this year as a hope-to-make-the-tournament type of season. Now all of a sudden we are #1 in the country for several weeks and people start talking like if we lose in the second round of the tournament the season will be a huge disappointment. It would be a disappointing end to the season but overall the season will be a huge success unless the wheels come off in February. By contrast, last season felt disappointing pretty much after Harper's halfcourt shot went down. No Big Ten championship. No BTT championship. Only made it to the Sweet Sixteen and lost to Saint Peter's. Just different expectations between this year and last year.
That happens all time. Teams get off to great starts and expectations change. Purdue needs to make sweet 16 at minimum this year or it's a disappointment.

That happens all time. Teams get off to great starts and expectations change. Purdue needs to make sweet 16 at minimum this year or it's a disappointment.
Yeah, I think any team that spends any time ranked #1 during a season should expect to make the Sweet 16 or it's a lost opportunity/disappointment.

Yeah, I think any team that spends any time ranked #1 during a season should expect to make the Sweet 16 or it's a lost opportunity/disappointment.
Like I said, I'd consider it a disappointing ending to a great season but I've never been one to judge an entire season by the NCAA tournament. People put way to much emphasis on the 10 days that encompass the first four (full) rounds of the NCAA tournament imo. Anything can happen in a single-elimination format. The important thing is to make the tournament consistently and if you do you'll have years when things fall in your favor.

Like I said, I'd consider it a disappointing ending to a great season but I've never been one to judge an entire season by the NCAA tournament. People put way to much emphasis on the 10 days that encompass the first four (full) rounds of the NCAA tournament imo. Anything can happen in a single-elimination format. The important thing is to make the tournament consistently and if you do you'll have years when things fall in your favor.
In general yes, I agree. But Purdue looks like a legit threat to win it all. There is no way around it. An early exit would be a huge let down.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT