ADVERTISEMENT

QB play or CBs

Big boy stan

Junior
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2017
A lot of discussion about our lack of passing production and poor QB play but in rewatching the game, there was very little separation from our wide receivers. Their secondary challenged on every pass play leaving Simon with little place to throw to.

I came into the season thinking the defensive back 4 would be one of our strengths but Temple's WRs were running free and made Warner look like a NFL prospect. On at least two second half throws, he was under pressure and closed his eyes and chucked the ball to a receiver for a completion with no DB in the picture.

Easy to bash the QBs and I'm not suggesting that they didn't miss a few throws but they were not the only ones performing poorly yesterday. Give Simon the open receivers that Warner had and I don't think we have a question about QB.

A lot of discussion about our lack of passing production and poor QB play but in rewatching the game, there was very little separation from our wide receivers. Their secondary challenged on every pass play leaving Simon with little place to throw to.

I came into the season thinking the defensive back 4 would be one of our strengths but Temple's WRs were running free and made Warner look like a NFL prospect. On at least two second half throws, he was under pressure and closed his eyes and chucked the ball to a receiver for a completion with no DB in the picture.

Easy to bash the QBs and I'm not suggesting that they didn't miss a few throws but they were not the only ones performing poorly yesterday. Give Simon the open receivers that Warner had and I don't think we have a question about QB.
Our secondary has been continually overhyped on this board. A good passing team will torch them.

If Longerbeam makes the INT on the very first play (and returns it for a pick-six), then this discussion has no legs.
But he didn’t. And the rest of the game our DB’s we’re giving way to much space. They allowed a weak armed QB pick them apart as they consistently gave 5-6 yards of cushion. A good passing team is going to have a field day if we continue that

But he didn’t. And the rest of the game our DB’s we’re giving way to much space. They allowed a weak armed QB pick them apart as they consistently gave 5-6 yards of cushion. A good passing team is going to have a field day if we continue that

And that "weak armed" QB had time to throw.

Rutgers is playing zone mostly because that is what the DC is comfortable with, but I think the DBs are better mixing in more man coverage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT