ADVERTISEMENT

Question: what does this team need in a Transfer Center

RU-Choppin-Ohio

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2011
Everyone has their favorite for what Rutgers needs at starting Center.next.year in terms of their best attribute(s).

- Rim protector and rebounder
- Finisher in the paint on offense
- Athletic and can defend perimeter PNR
- Big that can step out and hit threes.
-Other ?
-Other ?

For me, it's finisher in the paint who has excellent footwork and can draw double teams. Someone who can do more than dunk.

Can't find one that can do everything.

Reactions: MadRU and darkcheck
Everyone has their favorite for what Rutgers needs at starting Center.next.year in terms of their best attribute(s).

- Rim protector and rebounder
- Finisher in the paint on offense
- Athletic and can defend perimeter PNR
- Big that can step out and hit threes.
-Other ?
-Other ?

For me, it's finisher in the paint who has excellent footwork and can draw double teams. Someone who can do more than dunk.

Can't find one that can do everything.

To supplement what the offense needs, we need a perimeter big, who can move, pass and provide shooting. We don't need a big that requires that player clogging the lane and requiring the ball in the post, in order to score.

The defense or rim protection is not as important as finding a rebounder, who can prevent 2nd shots. We had rim protection and blocked shot capability with Cliff, but no one to help on the glass.....OR Cliff aggressively went for blocked shots, which hurt RU on the glass, where he could have just played positional defense and then turned to rebound. Cliff took himself out of position way too many times, which allowed his almost 3 blocks per game average to be at the top of CBB. Some of those weren't really good decisions in a lot of ways.

A mobile big that can grab rebounds solves 70% of our big man concerns. Most teams don't have a true center to alter shots anyway.

Reactions: motel00
we have had a shot blocking big who has been good defending the high screen for 6 years. We have guys who are coming in that are scorers.

I dont see why we need a 5 who is a perimeter threat if it means sacrificing on defense.

If it is an either/or thing i think the answer is very simple.

There is 1 basketball and we have 2 supposed one and dones and the 8th leading scorer on our team.

To supplement what the offense needs, we need a perimeter big, who can move, pass and provide shooting. We don't need a big that requires that player clogging the lane and requiring the ball in the post, in order to score.

The defense or rim protection is not as important as finding a rebounder, who can prevent 2nd shots. We had rim protection and blocked shot capability with Cliff, but no one to help on the glass.....OR Cliff aggressively went for blocked shots, which hurt RU on the glass, where he could have just played positional defense and then turned to rebound. Cliff took himself out of position way too many times, which allowed his almost 3 blocks per game average to be at the top of CBB. Some of those weren't really good decisions in a lot of ways.

A mobile big that can grab rebounds solves 70% of our big man concerns. Most teams don't have a true center to alter shots anyway.

Agree.

Getting a big who is skilled offensively is gonna be tough - and I’m not sure scoring from that position is our biggest need at this point

We need defense and rebounding - which I think should be easier to find

Last edited:

Rim protection, does only help so much, how many points does this team give up in Cliff isn't back there? Those drives past people just go for layups that there is then no need for a rebounder since the ball went through the hoop.
Thks team needs a rim running, defensive rim protector, who is willing to move the ball on. He doesn't need to have anything to do with the perimeter unless sent out there to clear the lane. He also needs a rebounding forward next to him. We basically bypasses foward rebounding recently. Have to have it, hopefully Martini or another provide it next to said center.

Reactions: Scarlet83
Mostly new team with a number of talented offensive threats already. That says to me we need D and rebounding. Also, with limited NIL, if we have to pick between a good finisher and a good stopper, we will get best value for a stopper.

Reactions: darkcheck
I like the order you have them in. Rim protector and rebounder if I can only have one. We don’t want to overcompensate to offense so much that we forget what fundamentally is also needed to win basketball games, defense, rebounding and taking care of the basketball. If we score 80, but give up 81 it defeats the purpose, winning. Yes Pike can scheme and teach defense, but Caleb and Mag had time to learn what Steve was teaching. Now everyone is a one year merc and there will be perimeter defense mistakes. I want a natural paint defender and rebounder for when those mistakes happen.

we have had a shot blocking big who has been good defending the high screen for 6 years. We have guys who are coming in that are scorers.

I dont see why we need a 5 who is a perimeter threat if it means sacrificing on defense.

If it is an either/or thing i think the answer is very simple.

There is 1 basketball and we have 2 supposed one and dones and the 8th leading scorer on our team.

It's not so much the scoring but how a shooting threat effects the defense.

Put Myles Johnson on the floor next year with Ace/Dylan.
The defense is packing the lane.
If Myles pops out to the perimeter, the defense stays in the lane. They pray we pass the ball to Myles on the perimeter for an "open shot".

The moment Myles leaves the lane, it's 4 on 5 and the defense gets an advantage.
(Note - this is also my concern with JWill and Davis on the floor next year. Potentially Acuff too).

Reactions: MadRU
you probably cant have both....so the opposing 5 is in the lane and makes it harder for jwill or dylan or acuff to finish at the rim. i need a rim protector on D, sorry!

I was surfing and saw Western Conference finals Seattle vs Phoenix. Why can't we go back to basketball like that!

What is going on with defense in the NBA this year?

Last edited:
It's not so much the scoring but how a shooting threat effects the defense.

Put Myles Johnson on the floor next year with Ace/Dylan.
The defense is packing the lane.
If Myles pops out to the perimeter, the defense stays in the lane. They pray we pass the ball to Myles on the perimeter for an "open shot".

The moment Myles leaves the lane, it's 4 on 5 and the defense gets an advantage.
(Note - this is also my concern with JWill and Davis on the floor next year. Potentially Acuff too).
The paint is going to be packed against us until the team shows there is a reason not to, whomever the center is. There are very few centers that draw defenders out of the paint. As of now, a rebounding rim protector gives us something that we'll need as I don't anticipate Ace and Martini being above avg defensively or at rebounding.

Very good question, well done Ohio.

I can see all the different options and opinions having validity. Especially for me valuing defense.

But for me to answer I have to look at the current structure of the roster, and as important how we fill the other two scholarships.

Right now, the only player I would call a shooter is Zach Martini. As of now he would be the guy that the defense cannot leave. Still has to prove it here.

All the other perimeter players are scorers, unproven or not, that’s their MO, and mindset. Especially the backcourt.

JWill. JMike, Tyson, and Dylan are guys that seem to use their attributes to get to the paint and try to score. Do we need a big that clogs the paint? Legit question. Dylan and Tyson appear to be able to hit threes and require attention from the defense on the perimeter. JWill and JMike will both have to improve their shooting to warrant their defenders to stay at home.

Ace appears to be able to score inside and out, but he is unproven at this level as a knockdown three point threat. But as a defender I wouldn’t leave him too much space. If he gets going, forget it.

Our current bigs, Ogbole is a big body, needs a lot of development to be a defensive positive. He would clog the lane.

Lathan has the potential to be a legit threat from a little further out, but as a defender I would still lay off him to stop penetration.

Now let’s see how we fill out the other two scholarships. If we get a pure shooter, upper 30%+ from three, then a big defender makes real sense. Get two shooters and I am all in for a pure defender inside.

Now if we get a shooter and a big body rebounding 4/5 I would take a three point threat at the 5.

Still too many moving parts for me to definitely answer.

Sorry for the long rant.

A guy who can cleanly catch a pass, make a post move or two, good passer, great rebounder.

Reactions: tm_nj
A guy who can cleanly catch a pass, make a post move or two, good passer, great rebounder.
Of course Ogbole has been told to do finger-tip pushups by a tv pundit. But at 280 pounds I hope he chooses other hand strengthening methods!

What I would like us to do is a combo of players at the four five, so we can mix and match depending on the game and opponent

1.) center- find a rim protector defender center
2. ) power forward/center who is mobile , handle , can shoot it from out side and catch and move with the screen and roll action
3.) stretch power forward who can post and score from outside
4.) powe forward who is a 3 ans D type guy

I think we have 2 and 4 in Sommerville and martini

We have nunber one in Ogoble , but we need a better number one (I like Reuben Chibyeku for this role )

We need a number three….I really like the kid from USF or if an Eric Dixon enters the portal

That’s my ideal list …unless cliff comes back or we get Armani Williams

Watching Clingan in the NCAA tournament reinforced the value of a prolific shot-blocker, who can be a tremendous deterrent for opposing players trying to score at the rim.

It changes the whole dynamic of an opposing team’s offense, when they have to settle for lower percentage shot attempts, for fear of getting their shots blocked at the rim.

Reactions: new jersey1
I think a guy who can rebound, block a shot here or there, and catch the ball and finish around the rim is what we need. If he brings other skills to the table, that is icing on the cake.

Reactions: Loyal-Son and RU23
I would prefer a rim protector first. That allows Pike to put an offensive lineup out there and have someone to clean up mistakes. If they can’t find that guy and they go with a smaller big, get someone who can step out and shoot. It would be great to put out 5 shooters on the floor to give Dylan and Ace the ability to drive and make plays.

What I would like us to do is a combo of players at the four five, so we can mix and match depending on the game and opponent

1.) center- find a rim protector defender center
2. ) power forward/center who is mobile , handle , can shoot it from out side and catch and move with the screen and roll action
3.) stretch power forward who can post and score from outside
4.) powe forward who is a 3 ans D type guy

I think we have 2 and 4 in Sommerville and martini

We have nunber one in Ogoble , but we need a better number one (I like Reuben Chibyeku for this role )

We need a number three….I really like the kid from USF or if an Eric Dixon enters the portal

That’s my ideal list …unless cliff comes back or we get Armani Williams
Shack absolutely nailing it here. A collection of skill sets from the 4/5 position. Also like chinyelu for the role

Lathan is the offensive threat who can dribble shoot and has some post moves

Ogbole raw developmental 5 who brings massive size if we need it against bigger 5's. Maybe we get lucky and he makes a significant jump. Remember he was injured last off season

I want an athletic lengthy rim protector rebounder who can play above the rim and finish put back dunks and lobs

We do not need a 5 who needs the ball in the post and can draw double teams. That doesn't fit the roster and what we are trying to do

Reactions: BillyC80
This guy would be perfect with Ace and Dylan next season.

USATSI_17843440.jpg

On this specific team I think a rim protector is important. I don't know how good the freshmen will be guarding B1G players. We need someone behind them to safeguard us.

The funny thing is we had one of the best rim protectors in the nation for the last four years but we really didn't need one when you have the McConnells and (Ron) Harpers of the world protecting the perimeter. He left the year we needed one.

I still am hoping for Bradshaw via Camden and Kentucky. It would be nice to have another Jersey guy on our team who happens to know Dylan very well.

One trait I would love to see from our center position is good hands.

We left so many points and possessions on the table by not having Cliff catch passes, rebounds, and 50/50 balls cleanly. Same with Ogbole.

From his tape it appears that Lathan has all the tools (dribble, pass, shoot) from which I’ll infer that he also has good hands, so that’s cool.

We’ll need the same from a veteran center.

Nobody makes the game easier for everyone, more than a quality big. Strong picks creating daylight for shooters. Strong hands and can finish through contact. It forces help defenders to leak in, creating daylight for shooters. The protection on the glass, and being a last line of defense. A good big helps everyone so much. Abandoning a true big - wanting this all 5 out - because you saw a few teams have success. It reminds me of Jerry Jones. He always tries to memick someone else success, but he doesn't have the organization in place.

Theirs a reason these bigs cost so much in the portal, and why top programs go after them. Rutgers does not need to get cute, and trying copy Alabama, etc. Get a good true big if you can

The going cost is $1.2MM for a big time solution at center. Indiana just landed Arizona transfer Oumar Ballo for that price. Any idea how much NIL $ we can offer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT