ADVERTISEMENT

Returning Minutes for 2023-24

RUChoppin

Heisman Winner
Dec 1, 2006
Hillsborough, NJ
With Mulcahy's departure, these are the minutes/games played in a Rutgers uniform by each returning player.

2292 min (89 games / 72 starts) - Omoruyi
1194 min (66 games / 18 starts) - Hyatt (plus 700 min at LSU)
968 min (63 games / 25 starts) - Mag
684 min (34 games / 6 starts) - Simpson
235 min (32 games / 0 starts) - Woolfolk
20 min (4 games / 0 starts) - Chol
0 min - Fernandes (1871 min at other stops)
0 min - Griffiths
0 min - Davis
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship

Pike will have his work cut out for him this year, and needs to hit what's left of the portal hard. There are definitely minutes up for grabs for a transfer at the guard spots (especially at SG).

Rotation:
PG - Fernandes, Davis
SG - Simpson
SF - Griffiths, Chol
PF - Mag, Hyatt
C - Omoruyi, Woolfolk

With Mulcahy's departure, these are the minutes/games played in a Rutgers uniform by each returning player.

0 min - Griffiths
0 min - Davis
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship

Pike will have his work cut out for him this year, and needs to hit what's left of the portal hard. There are definitely minutes up for grabs for a transfer at the guard spots (especially at SG).

Rotation:
PG - Fernandes, Davis
SG - Simpson
SF - Griffiths, Chol
PF - Mag, Hyatt
C - Omoruyi, Woolfolk
They need at least 1 guard, probably 2 and somebody who can play the 4/5.

This will feel like last year (threading the needle and praying for no injuries) if we don’t add anyone and Griffiths, Davis and Fernandes work out.

I am expecting zero from Chol and little from Hyatt and would love for them to exceed my expectations

Why does it seem like we’re the only team being majorly impacted by this grad transfer thing? Our kids are the biggest names available in the portal it seems.

This will feel like last year (threading the needle and praying for no injuries) if we don’t add anyone and Griffiths, Davis and Fernandes work out.

I am expecting zero from Chol and little from Hyatt and would love for them to exceed my expectations
If we don't add anyone?!? There are 4 open scholarships! 0% chance we don't add anyone. Question is can we land anyone who is B1G quality

0 min - Griffiths
0 min - Davis
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship

Rotation:
PG - Fernandes, Davis
SG - Simpson
SF - Griffiths, Chol
PF - Mag, Hyatt
C - Omoruyi, Woolfolk
We will certainly not be the experienced team we were this year but we will be a more uptempo team with Fernandes, Derek and Jamichael ( who has blown up this summer playing with ACE) and Gavin shooting freely and Cliff happily running the floor. Will Hyatt and Wolf and Choi be able to give us consistent minutes as our bench ? Can we rebound enough? Play defense well enough? Those 2 areas are concerning right now.
Pike will bring in a JUCO big to help Cliff but also needs another big guard who can rebound as well.
Never try to expect it but Derek and Wolf and Choi should be appreciably improved . Losing NDongo is a bigger loss ( especially with Mag’s injury ) than losing Paul or Cam as he was a decent offensive player with a handle that could play defense and block shots. And rebound. Doubtful the JUCO add or another big added can fill that void.

We will certainly not be the experienced team we were this year but we will be a more uptempo team with Fernandes, Derek and Jamichael ( who has blown up this summer playing with ACE) and Gavin shooting freely and Cliff happily running the floor. Will Hyatt and Wolf and Choi be able to give us consistent minutes as our bench ? Can we rebound enough? Play defense well enough? Those 2 areas are concerning right now.
Pike will bring in a JUCO big to help Cliff but also needs another big guard who can rebound as well.
Never try to expect it but Derek and Wolf and Choi should be appreciably improved . Losing NDongo is a bigger loss ( especially with Mag’s injury ) than losing Paul or Cam as he was a decent offensive player with a handle that could play defense and block shots. And rebound. Doubtful the JUCO add or another big added can fill that void.
The concern is depth. And it’ll be. Big time problem if we don’t add anyone of note.

Think of the team we had that tanked down the stretch last season. So we have Mag back to replace Cam’s minutes. Then you have GG replacing Caleb. Noah to replace Paul. Fine. Let’s assume Mag comes back perfect from injury. Best case scenerio. These replacements are all a wash in minutes. We lost Oskar, Dean and Miller in depth. We’ve added only Davis (frosh) to replace 3 guys to sub in. That’s not good.

Last edited:

0 min - Griffiths
0 min - Davis
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship

Rotation:
PG - Fernandes, Davis
SG - Simpson
SF - Griffiths, Chol
PF - Mag, Hyatt
C - Omoruyi, Woolfolk
Aiden Terry is the 10th man right now & the backup SG.

There’s not a lot to be excited about at guard in the portal either unless RU poached a grad transfer off another roster.

Aiden Terry is the 10th man right now & the backup SG.

There’s not a lot to be excited about at guard in the portal either unless RU poached a grad transfer off another roster.
This - everyone was happy for Oskar, Miller and Dean to move on. I now wonder if more effort should’ve been made to retain our depth (albeit limited). We have 4 open schollies and there’s a possibility we don’t land a single portal kid better than any of these guys let alone 3 portal players better than them. Plus whoever is coming in will have to learn a new system.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The concern is depth. And it’ll be. Big time problem if we don’t add anyone of note.

Think of the team we had that tanked down the stretch last season. So we have Mag back to replace Cam’s minutes. Then you have GG replacing Caleb. Noah to replace Paul. Fine. Let’s assume Mag comes back perfect from injury. Best case scenerio. These replacements are all a wash in minutes. We lost Oskar, Dean and Miller in depth. We’ve added only Davis (frosh) to replace 3 guys to sub in. That’s not good.
You are not giving Pike’s history credit. We will get a big , either Juco or portal player to try to help Cliff rebound and play defense. Pike will land a guard and maybe a wing for depth. He is not going to leave 3 scholarships open. Let it play out.

This - everyone was happy for Oskar, Miller and Dean to move on. I now wonder if more effort should’ve been made to retain our depth (albeit limited). We have 4 open schollies and there’s a possibility we don’t land a single portal kid better than any of these guys let alone 3 portal players better than them. Plus whoever is coming in will have to learn a new system.

I think everyone was happy for Oskar/Miller/Reiber to move on when the expectation was that we'd have Spencer/Mulcahy back on the roster and only be losing McConnell from the primary rotation.

0 min - Griffiths
0 min - Davis
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship
0 min - Open scholarship

Rotation:
PG - Fernandes, Davis
SG - Simpson
SF - Griffiths, Chol
PF - Mag, Hyatt
C - Omoruyi, Woolfolk
Question on the guards?
If Ferenandes our best guard who can shoot at the same level as Cam and DS is our fastest and best guard at getting to the rim why would they play PG and SG as you laid out?
I know Pike even if Paul stayed wanted to play and is going to play a 2 guard/PG set with each of them spending time on the ball so it may be semantics.

IMO you use Gavin and Ferenandes on opposite wings/corners. Have Hyatt set high screen for DS and roll off that screen to spot at top of the key. DS drives he now has 3 shooters if they double( each wing and top of the key), on the drive of Cliff man’s doubles it’s a drop off to Cliff or a layup since no one can stay in front of him!

Simple high screen and roll basketball using the strengths and the talent on the team to its best ability. ( you can put Hyatt in the corner his fav spot and have Gavin set the high screen to spot at top of the key as well)

Question on the guards?
If Ferenandes our best guard who can shoot at the same level as Cam and DS is our fastest and best guard at getting to the rim why would they play PG and SG as you laid out?
I know Pike even if Paul stayed wanted to play and is going to play a 2 guard/PG set with each of them spending time on the ball so it may be semantics.

IMO you use Gavin and Ferenandes on opposite wings/corners. Have Hyatt set high screen for DS and roll off that screen to spot at top of the key. DS drives he now has 3 shooters if they double( each wing and top of the key), on the drive of Cliff man’s doubles it’s a drop off to Cliff or a layup since no one can stay in front of him!

Simple high screen and roll basketball using the strengths and the talent on the team to its best ability. ( you can put Hyatt in the corner his fav spot and have Gavin set the high screen to spot at top of the key as well)

Because Fernandes is 5-11 and averaged 4.8 assists at UMass, and is also a downhill player who breaks down his man and creates his own shot. He's a PG.

Simpson is a 6-3 combo guard... with Fernandes at the 1, that now him at the 2 by default.

They'll both share duties being on ball, but we don't really have a true SG with Griffiths playing the 3.

Because Fernandes is 5-11 and averaged 4.8 assists at UMass, and is also a downhill player who breaks down his man and creates his own shot. He's a PG.

Simpson is a 6-3 combo guard... with Fernandes at the 1, that now him at the 2 by default.

They'll both share duties being on ball, but we don't really have a true SG with Griffiths playing the 3.
Ok so it’s his size I get it!

I think we are both saying the same thing w both of them sharing duties on the ball looking to create. I just feel his ability to shoot is better utilized w the current roster off the ball . I hope they both play well regardless!

Not everyone, I didn't' like seeing Reiber get run off and would have liked to have him get some time at the 4, and I know others had stated they wanted Reiber to stay as a 3rd center. We'd be a better roster right now with him on it. Pike better get late transfers that are better than him and Oskar or this will prove to be a royal screw up.

Ok so it’s his size I get it!

I think we are both saying the same thing w both of them sharing duties on the ball looking to create. I just feel his ability to shoot is better utilized w the current roster off the ball . I hope they both play well regardless!
Also that he's a proven distributor, and Simpson is still working on that aspect of his game. Fernandes will very likely be the primary guy bringing the ball up, running our offense, and getting us into our sets. Simpson is more of a slashing scorer right now, with distribution more secondary.

Of our three guards, Fernandes and Davis are both ones, and Simpson is a 1/2. We don't have a true 2 on the roster right now, as Griffiths is a 2/3.

Kentucky has 7 players right now. Five freshman.
I’m not talking about teams impacted by the portal in general. That’s everyone. It seems like we’re the only ones getting burned with this grad transfer loophole thing where our core guys transfer after the portal deadline.

I think everyone was happy for Oskar/Miller/Reiber to move on when the expectation was that we'd have Spencer/Mulcahy back on the roster and only be losing McConnell from the primary rotation.
Those guys weren't helping us even if no one was on the roster. They're not high major talent.

Also that he's a proven distributor, and Simpson is still working on that aspect of his game. Fernandes will very likely be the primary guy bringing the ball up, running our offense, and getting us into our sets. Simpson is more of a slashing scorer right now, with distribution more secondary.

Of our three guards, Fernandes and Davis are both ones, and Simpson is a 1/2. We don't have a true 2 on the roster right now, as Griffiths is a 2/3.
I hear you but see it a little differently but all good!

Those guys weren't helping us even if no one was on the roster. They're not high major talent.
Oskar played over Hyatt last year. Don’t forget that. I’m not crazy about Miller’s game but he was a serviceable defender who could sub in for a few spot minutes without killing us. Dean contributed in different ways in all his seasons. What do you think we’re getting at this late stage to fill the bench?

You are not giving Pike’s history credit. We will get a big , either Juco or portal player to try to help Cliff rebound and play defense. Pike will land a guard and maybe a wing for depth. He is not going to leave 3 scholarships open. Let it play out.
I’m sure we’ll get someone but I’d rather have Dean than another Agee.

Oskar played over Hyatt last year. Don’t forget that. I’m not crazy about Miller’s game but he was a serviceable defender who could sub in for a few spot minutes without killing us. Dean contributed in different ways in all his seasons. What do you think we’re getting at this late stage to fill the bench?
Oskar played a couple of games towards the end when Aundre lost all confidence in his shooting and it was affecting him on the defensive end. Let's not make it out to be something more than that.

From what you have seen of Chol in the off season so far how is he developing ? How is he shooting and what is his weight up to?

Last edited:
Reactions: MiloTalon13

It's 2023, what's the difference between a SG and a so-called 3 ?

They both play on the perimeter, they both are expected to "dribble, pass, shoot" and they both play defense against other perimeter players.

Oskar played a couple of games towards the end when Aundre lost all confidence in his shooting and it was affecting him on the defensive end. Let's not make it out to be something more than that.

All I know is Hyatt only got 23 mpg on a team that wasn’t deep to begin with and was without at least 1 starter for 18+ games. Swapping him for Caleb as a 30 mpg player would be a massive hit on defense. Oskar wasn’t better - he was just another body with 5 fouls to give. He too is better than Agee. Let’s hope some other teams have grad transfers leaving too that we can grab late. Right now I’m not sure there is a realistic candidate in the portal who I’d take over the bench we left behind. That’s not a good sign.

All I know is Hyatt only got 23 mpg on a team that wasn’t deep to begin with and was without at least 1 starter for 18+ games. Swapping him for Caleb as a 30 mpg player would be a massive hit on defense. Oskar wasn’t better - he was just another body with 5 fouls to give. He too is better than Agee. Let’s hope some other teams have grad transfers leaving too that we can grab late. Right now I’m not sure there is a realistic candidate in the portal who I’d take over the bench we left behind. That’s not a good sign.
Agree, Mag won't be replacing Caleb next year.

Mag and Hyatt split time at the 4 and will continue to do so. Mag got 24. Hyatt got 23. A few minutes of overlap. The same thing will happen this year but Hyatt may play 30 minutes early in the season until Mag is ready.

It's 2023, what's the difference between a SG and a so-called 3 ?

They both play on the perimeter, they both are expected to "dribble, pass, shoot" and they both play defense against other perimeter players.
There really isn't a huge difference in skill set other than size, where threes are generally guarding guys who are 6-6/6-7.

We have a point guard who can shoot the three and a wing who can shoot the three. We don't have a third guard right now with that skill set.

Fernandes is a point guard and shooter, and he will primarily be on the ball. Griffiths, by all accounts, is a shooter, but he's the only other guard right now that we're expecting to be a deep threat... and we've never seen him play at college game speed. No idea what we're getting out of Davis either.

We are going into next year with very little firepower from outside, and we're not exactly spoiled for choice grabbing a shooter from the portal right now.

Reactions: Scangg
There really isn't a huge difference in skill set other than size, where threes are generally guarding guys who are 6-6/6-7.

We have a point guard who can shoot the three and a wing who can shoot the three. We don't have a third guard right now with that skill set.

Fernandes is a point guard and shooter, and he will primarily be on the ball. Griffiths, by all accounts, is a shooter, but he's the only other guard right now that we're expecting to be a deep threat... and we've never seen him play at college game speed. No idea what we're getting out of Davis either.

We are going into next year with very little firepower from outside, and we're not exactly spoiled for choice grabbing a shooter from the portal right now.

All of this is VERY premature. There are 4 open spots and at least 3 will be filled. This conversation needs to tabled until the roster is completed.

His defense has to improve a lot for any of that to matter.

Right. The depth issue in general is a bigger concern on defense than on offense. Caleb was a huge loss on defense to begin with. Mag is coming back from injury, but even if he’s 100%, he’s probably not going to solve the holes in our halfcourt perimeter defense. Mag’s very helpful but brings a different set of defensive skills. The Temple game (watching that Battle kid do what he wanted without Caleb up top) tells it all. Whose containing a kid like that from going off?

To your point - we’ve got frosh GG and Davis - defensive unknowns at the college level. Chol couldn’t get on the floor last year because of weak defense. Noah not known for strong defense at UMass. Hyatt a defensive liability. That’s 4 of our current 9. And of the other 5, Wolf and Cliff rarely play together. We need the unknowns to be decent defenders off the start otherwise we’ll have 2 weak defensive links on the court often which is never a recipe for winning - and now we’ll have to do it without Caleb.

My point is this Greene. No one knows about his defense. He literally played in 4 games for a total of 20 minutes.
I mean - we kind of have an idea… It wasn’t a deep team and he didn’t see the floor. With Pike, that’s usually an indication that your defense isn’t ready. When we needed depth, pike blew Millers red shirt. Remember? You can’t compare Myles to these other kids because with him a lost year of basketball didn’t mean anything. He asked to red shirt - wasn’t it a contingency of him signing? I seem to recall that. These other kids usually only red shirt if they aren’t ready to contribute at all.

I mean - we kind of have an idea… It wasn’t a deep team and he didn’t see the floor. With Pike, that’s usually an indication that your defense isn’t ready. When we needed depth, pike blew Millers red shirt. Remember? You can’t compare Myles to these other kids because with him a lost year of basketball didn’t mean anything. He asked to red shirt - wasn’t it a contingency of him signing? I seem to recall that. These other kids usually only red shirt if they aren’t ready to contribute at all.
We have no idea what he will do this year on offense or defense unless you tell me you saw him in off season.workouts. He was.a reclassified, year younger guy who missed most of the teams summer.workouts last year. He was not needed as #13 on the roster.

Players develop in Practice and gain experience in games. Last year was his development year.

I took Chol playing in only 4 games as letting him still be able to redshirt and not waste a year of eligibility. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t play defense. We had enough depth to let him just sit and develop.

Reactions: ScarletLongIsland
I took Chol playing in only 4 games as letting him still be able to redshirt and not waste a year of eligibility. That doesn’t mean he couldn’t play defense. We had enough depth to let him just sit and develop.
Basketball doesn't have redshirt rules like football. Once you play it's burned unless you create a medical reason which they did.

He also reclassified late to join the 2022 class. Essentially was still a senior in high school.
IIRC he was actually a '22 who reclassified to '23 because of lack of offers which was why he was able to jump on the RU offer that late.

I’m sure we’ll get someone but I’d rather have Dean than another Agee.
Your memory of Dean is just a little faulty. Dean had a good stretch 2 years ago hitting some threes and part of the Michigan State beat down. To be fairly honest , Dean disappointed all of us and probably himself last year as he did not play any 5 minute impactful stretch all year. Nothing better than Ralph.
There are guys inthe portal that should be able to give us better than that this year and Pike and staff will likely get it done.

We have no idea what he will do this year on offense or defense unless you tell me you saw him in off season.workouts. He was.a reclassified, year younger guy who missed most of the teams summer.workouts last year. He was not needed as #13 on the roster.

Players develop in Practice and gain experience in games. Last year was his development year.
He looked really bad defensively. It is possible he could improve and be passable defensively. I am just not expecting it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT