ADVERTISEMENT

Ron and Geo

Mbash93

Senior
Jan 23, 2012
Monroe Township, NJ
Do either of them get the illustrious jersey retirement after they wrap up their time here?

I know it's a silly question and at the end of the day that doesn't necessarily set the bar super high but was curious where they stack up with the 3 we have retired.

Curious on everyone's thoughts

Reactions: ScarletDave
No, they’ve had great careers and were obviously impact players, but not retire jersey status.

You keep that for All-Americans IMO.

Rutgers basketball hall of fame ?
Yes

Jersey retirement …?
Geo…No

Ron? No, but If he returns one more year, then revisit ….

I’m going to say no, but I wouldn’t be opposed to either. Ron might have a better shot if he does well in the NBA.

I’ll also say I think it’s apples and oranges to set the baseline as All-American status. The guys in there now played 40-50 years ago, when there were far fewer schools/players competing and the game was much different. Winning AA now is significantly tougher just based on the numbers.

I love both of those guys and maybe a statue is more appropriate. The jersey numbers are limited in the current format 0-55, and typically Rutgers has reserved the jersey retirements for All Americans. I do think that Ron and Geo should have some significant recognition.

If they inexplicably led us to a national championship win and they were the key reason for it happening, then perhaps........................but only in that nearly impossible scenario.
Bingo!
Not going to be popular but why would we even consider retiring numbers and building statues?? Being realistic what have they accomplished? A couple of NCAA appearances in a row? We haven't even had a close whiff to even a conference championship during their time. Right now we only honor AAs. I don't think either one of them has even made 2nd team all conference.
Have they helped change the culture?? Absolutely!! But when you look at culture changers Brian Leonard doesn't have his number retired and if anyone deserved it for changing a culture it's him.
Rutgers basketball owes a deep debt to both these guys but let's pump the brakes on number retirements and building statues.

Reactions: rufeelinit
No, they’ve had great careers and were obviously impact players, but not retire jersey status.

You keep that for All-Americans IMO.
That is the reason thre are so few players having their jersey retired as compared to the elite basketball programs.If the RAC is updated , there should be a section in the entrance promenade where pictures of outstanding players are displayed along with their achievements.

Last edited:
Idk if they are quite on jersey retirement status, but they absolutely deserve some significant in arena dedication

Idk should we have another person wear #0? It’s so iconic with Geo Baker. Same for #24, especially with Ron’s connection to Kobe. I say hang them in the rafters. I would also take a statue out front of the RAC of Geo, Ron and Caleb

I could see some type of group banner going up at some point given that they were the group who started our rise in the B1G

No neither of them are worthy of it. They have done a fantastic job but we are still not yet at the peak of what rutgers could be. Now if we beat all the teams we should have this year and finished first in the Big10 then I would think about maybe…. As far as geo goes great job. But at the end of the day we were his best offer and it took him 5 years to break all the records he is breaking right now. I do t want to sound mean spirited but any record he attains this year should come with an asterisk. Call it the covid Asterick I do t care but the records set prior were all 4 year records.

they still have their chance to create a real legacy. Win the big10 and they can put their names on a banner and hang it. Win the ncaa title and we can put their name on the building.

can you imagine hanging a banner for guys on a team that missed ncaa tournement because of losses to lffeyette, umass, DePaul, northwestern and Minnesota? It would be a joke

Reactions: Rutgers56
Like the semi-retirement idea. They are bringing Rutgers to the NCAAs for the third year in a row.

If you go strictly based on stats, then I guess no, but if you feel Jersey retirements are about more than that (I do), then yes or some sort of recognition in the arena

If you go strictly based on stats, then I guess no, but if you feel Jersey retirements are about more than that (I do), then yes or some sort of recognition in the arena
I agree with the sentiment but every player came to rutgers with the intention of making it better but based on the issues couldnt. Why not myles, yeboah, paul? All these guys did it. If geo comes under Jordan that all he is is a footnote in rutgers bball history. At the end of the day players shouldn’t be punished for supporting a program under a coach who couldn’t get it done. Pikiell has been the only guy in past 30 years to build an entire team with the right pieces. And this is why geo and Ron are successful.

This is the funny part about geo leading the NIL charge. There has not been one player in the history of college basketball who has benefited more from a school than geo baker. Geo goes anywhere else no one knows his name.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT