ADVERTISEMENT

Ron Harper's Near BEAST OF A Flush...

DirtyRU

All American
Gold Member
Nov 16, 2002
Didn't see this mentioned in any of the postgame threads. I know Ronnie took some bad shots last night (he did hit a timely three though) but as usual, he hustled on D. But yo. When he turned the corner from the elbow, power dribbled into the lane and tried to flush a fierce one-hand dunk? Whoa!!!!!!!!!! Glimpse of things to come? Wow. Hopefully. Only next time, he probably doesn't miss.

Love me some Ronnie Harper.

I believe the 2 air ball 3s can be contributed to being too excited. Maybe it was the atmosphere, he must have been pumped after hitting the first deep 3 and just let the situation get to him some. He will be fine, it was a learning experience playing a big game in an emotionally charged RAC.

I believe the 2 air ball 3s can be contributed to being too excited. Maybe it was the atmosphere, he must have been pumped after hitting the first deep 3 and just let the situation get to him some. He will be fine, it was a learning experience playing a big game in an emotionally charged RAC.

If either of those two threes had fallen, the roof would have come off the place.

Not so much bad shots in the sense that they were not the proper shot to take but just how off they were. The 2nd one was wide open & in the flow of the shot but he just was too hyped up in that moment although against Iowa he was lights out NBA Jam style making 3s but it happens when you are a young player.

Agreed in that building if he hits either of those 2 3s that roof gets blown off & would have been as loud as I have heard it in years. Overall was the loudest I heard it in some time in person. The last 5-6 minutes of the game the crowd was very much into every possession & on their feet.

it's really tough to hit a three with pressure coming from behind. Hardest shot to hit imo and that's what happened on the second one

I don't think he set up the same for those missed 3s.. iirc.. he was rather flat-footed.. did not shoot in the flow.. stepping toward the basket. Harper looks softer than he is.. he will look like a beast by year 3.

his mom comes to all the home games , kiss clan also --I sense these players really like and pull for each other

Reactions: AD888
his mom comes to all the home games , kiss clan also --I sense these players really like and pull for each other
No disrespect meant to Ronnie, and I prob. shouldn't say this if he reads the boards, but yes, saw her at the Iowa game and mom is ummm, really easy on the eyes.

On the second air ball he turned to the bench signaling that it glanced off the defender's hand. He had a good look at the shot - kinda hard to believe that he air-balled 2 of them.

On the second air ball he turned to the bench signaling that it glanced off the defender's hand. He had a good look at the shot - kinda hard to believe that he air-balled 2 of them.
Yup. Looked partially blocked. Think the refs missed that one.

Dribbling behind back on a three on two fast break and losing ball? Missing dunk? Two Air balls?
Really could have cost us game.

Wait what happened?

He commented on the pinned Rutgers Basketball tweet, something along the lines of, "Watching this team play basketball sucks", right before the MSU game. Couple people commented, then he said "Not saying to fire the coach but players need to be held accountable". I told him obviously everyone as fans are frustrated (Iowa loss) but probably not the best place to air out those frustrations (Especially in his position). He deleted the tweets.

Reactions: fredRU93
I love the attitude. The dunk attempt was an aggressive play and going strong to the hole is almost always the better option. Doors on also had a dunk he missed that would have been a monster. I was very concerned those missed opportunities were going to cost us but the team came through in the end.

Reactions: DirtyRU
He commented on the pinned Rutgers Basketball tweet, something along the lines of, "Watching this team play basketball sucks", right before the MSU game. Couple people commented, then he said "Not saying to fire the coach but players need to be held accountable". I told him obviously everyone as fans are frustrated (Iowa loss) but probably not the best place to air out those frustrations (Especially in his position). He deleted the tweets.
Wow.

So who is not being held accountable?
Mathis?
(He got pulled in 2nd half of Michigan State, so maybe there’s something to that, or maybe just coincidence.)

Harper has his arms draped around Mathis and someone else during the end of game celebration and alma mater by the band, so he seems cool with Montez.

So who is not being held accountable?
Mathis?
(He got pulled in 2nd half of Michigan State, so maybe there’s something to that, or maybe just coincidence.)

Harper has his arms draped around Mathis and someone else during the end of game celebration and alma mater by the band, so he seems cool with Montez.

I believe Mathis and Harper Jr are very close friends.

I see it as Harper Sr knowing old school basketball versus the game nowadays. Now, you have to give players slack on defense if their offense is really good. Harper Sr was also a strong defensive player. Playing at the highest level, I am not sure he would be happy with many college teams.

He picked the wrong place to say it, but to see his opinion from different transitions the game has been in is interesting.

I believe Mathis and Harper Jr are very close friends.

I see it as Harper Sr knowing old school basketball versus the game nowadays. Now, you have to give players slack on defense if their offense is really good. Harper Sr was also a strong defensive player. Playing at the highest level, I am not sure he would be happy with many college teams.

He picked the wrong place to say it, but to see his opinion from different transitions the game has been in is interesting.

Seems odd since Pike and the staff focus on defense so much.

And I think the guys who play the majority of minutes try to lock it down on D.

Sometimes I think Caleb can close out faster on 3 point shooters or fight through a screen vs sag underneath.
Same with a few other guys

But for the most part, doesn’t appear to be TOO much room for criticism (of course, can always do better).

By the way, it's not just our imagination that Rutgers misses too many shots at the rim.

We're actually okay on dunk attempts (over 90% and in the top 5 in the conference) but we're just 57.8% "at the rim" which is second-worst in the conference.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Dribbling behind back on a three on two fast break and losing ball? Missing dunk? Two Air balls?
Really could have cost us game.

Oh PUHLEEZ. From the same guy that nitpicked everything Mike Williams did.

Harper has been a big part of our elevated play this year. Give it a rest.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
We are talking about a freshman class that has transformed this team from last year. We all thought this was going to be a throw away year after Corey left. Tez, Jr, and Caleb have been a god send. This team plays like a team. Harper will be a beast! He has size and quickness and is a threat inside and out. So he had a couple airballs and TO. He has shown this year that he is dependable and consistent. Everyone has an off day, and that missed dunk....damn!!!! If he continues to be aggressive like that, WATCH OUT! The sky is the limit for these guys.

If this class continues to grow like Geo and Gene have under this coaching staff, we are in for a fun next few years!!! Things are moving in the right direction.

Really a head scratcher. Having been through the highs and lows of so many basketball seasons, I'm really shocked he would say that. Wonder what set him off.
Pike's hook has seemed pretty fair across the board for the entire season. We've seen him yank EVERYONE (even Geo) for poor play. Perhaps Dad's tweet was related to something off the court.

By the way, it's not just our imagination that Rutgers misses too many shots at the rim.

We're actually okay on dunk attempts (over 90% and in the top 5 in the conference) but we're just 57.8% "at the rim" which is second-worst in the conference.

A couple losses we were downright awful.

Part of that is freshmen (mainly Mathis) going out of control to the rim. I'm ok with his aggressiveness as he usually get a bucket or a foul. As he gets more mature he'll get better at decision making and be out of control less and less.

When Harper missed the dunk I was bummed but loved his aggression. Can't fault him for the attempt.

The complaint from dad is odd tho. The Iowa result was heartbreaking but not an example of anything to complain about. I'm sure he was just feeling the frustrations we all were and verbalized it the wrong way.

Oh PUHLEEZ. From the same guy that nitpicked everything Mike Williams did.

Harper has been a big part of our elevated play this year. Give it a rest.

Williams hustled and played hard but cost us games with horrible shooting for four years yet oddly was untouchable. Yet the same fans ripped Corey Sanders, Bishop Daniels and CJ, among others at the drop of a hat. Bunch of hypocrites and double standards. SMH. Always worry when a college basketball player is out of shape. See: Bullock, Lloyd Moore. Guards should never be out of shape. Just as excited with Mathias, McConnell and Johnson. Who made the statements here? Irony don’t ya think?

Last edited:
Williams hustled and played hard but cost us games with horrible shooting for four years yet oddly was untouchable. Yet the same fans ripped Corey Sanders, Bishop Daniels and CJ, among others at the drop of a hat. Bunch of hypocrites and double standards. SMH. Always worry when a college basketball player is out of shape. See: Bullock, Lloyd Moore. Guards should never be out of shape. Just as excited with Mathias, McConnell and Johnson. Who made the statements here? Irony don’t ya think?

This is barely intelligible, but your obsession with Bishop Daniels is hilarious. He looked the part but was not P5 caliber.

Are you implying that Harper is out of shape because he has babyfat? LMAO. Funny I don't see him winded out there as he's draining 3's and going coast to coast versus a ranked team. Mateen Cleaves and Khalid El Amin managed to play 30 mpg. Maybe you would have preferred Bishop to them.

Reactions: RUonBrain
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT