ADVERTISEMENT

Rotate SU, UConn, WV, Pitt, BC, Temple for Annual Rivalry Game

rutgersal

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jun 7, 2001
It would be great if one of our OOC games each year were against an old Eastern Rival. Love Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, Primanti's in Pittsburgh, Chicken Bones in WV, Pat's in Philly (Temple), visiting colonial sites in Boston, and stopping by fine restaurants in Stamford, CT. Great places to visit.

It's interesting. I've been a Rutgers fan my entire life, but only started to really understand who our "rivals" were in 2005 and 2006, after BC was gone. Temple never really mattered to me. BC never really mattered to me. But I do hate SU, UConn, and WV. The next generation of Rutgers sports fanatics just won't care about those teams UNLESS you have those rivalry games. Its like how the rivalry with Princeton died.

I'm only interested in bringing back Hillbillies vs Guidos. I couldn't care less about the other schools, they weren't really rivalries other than being nearby and being recruiting rivals. When they were good, we sucked; and when we got good, they sucked.

Syracuse, UConn and BC along with Temple might be nice to rotate, but I don't think any of them can be considered true rivals now.
Rutgers did have sort of a rivalry with Syracuse and UConn in the Big East , but none of the fanbases would admit one.
I really don't see the use for putting any of those schools on the OOC schedule, but it probably
would grow on me if it happened.
WV and Louisville would belong in that rotation along with Miami.
For some reason I can't add VT into the mix.

On Sirius Satellite Radio College Football Show, hosts Rick Neuhseisl and Chris Childers have been polling many D1 Coaches on this topic the past 2 weeks, and to a man each say they would prefer to play a different D1 team (non conference) in a controlled scrimmage for a Spring game then an intra squad scrimmage which doubles your chances for injury.

RU already has a 4 game series with Temple 2020-23.

I don't see how you can call any school a rival if you'd only play them once every 6 years.

It would be great if one of our OOC games each year were against an old Eastern Rival. Love Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, Primanti's in Pittsburgh, Chicken Bones in WV, Pat's in Philly (Temple), visiting colonial sites in Boston, and stopping by fine restaurants in Stamford, CT. Great places to visit.

Agreed - and I've been to all those restaurants, too, lol. I also like playing Army and Navy. With 9 moderately to ridiculously tough conference games, though, it's hard to schedule too many tough OOC games. We're committed to one intersectional P5 game (like we did with UW/WSU) each year and can't play 1AA teams any more (beyond those that had already been scheduled - our last one is in 2017), so one game with an old eastern rival and one cupcake (a bottom-feeder MAC/SunBelt team, not one of their top teams - need at least one breather) would be good.

Reactions: SF88
With 9 moderately to ridiculously tough conference games, though, it's hard to schedule too many tough OOC games. We're committed to one intersectional P5 game (like we did with UW/WSU) each year and can't play 1AA teams any more (beyond those that had already been scheduled - our last one is in 2017)

But do you want the intersectional P5 game to always be with the same team?

Plus, to have 7 home games (desired for budgetary reasons), in a 2 year cycle we need 14 home and 10 road games. 9 of the home and 9 of the road are games are in conference and one more is the intersectional P5 game.

That leaves 4 bought home games (2 each year). So that looks like no regular roadtrips to Syracuse, Boston, Storrs, etc.

But do you want the intersectional P5 game to always be with the same team?

Plus, to have 7 home games (desired for budgetary reasons), in a 2 year cycle we need 14 home and 10 road games. 9 of the home and 9 of the road are games are in conference and one more is the intersectional P5 game.

That leaves 4 bought home games (2 each year). So that looks like no regular roadtrips to Syracuse, Boston, Storrs, etc.

If you treat the P5 intersectional game as a B1G game, then that's 5 home and 5 away accounted for every year. While 7 games is desired, I'm thinking we may have to live with 7 home games in years we play one of these "rivals" at home and 6 home games in years we play one of those "rivals" on the road, assuming we always have 1 "bought" game at home every year. I just don't think 2 bought games is realistic every year and, frankly, I'd rather have a game with a rival than a 2nd cupcake non-P5 school we can "buy."

No thanks to: Pitt, Cuse, and Connie. Do NOT want them getting a "free" recruiting weekend in NJ

Couldn't care less: Temple

Maybe: WVU

Other than WVU these schools tended to bring less than 500 fans to games in Piscataway. What kind of "rivalry" is that?

Last edited:
Agreed - and I've been to all those restaurants, too, lol. I also like playing Army and Navy. With 9 moderately to ridiculously tough conference games, though, it's hard to schedule too many tough OOC games. We're committed to one intersectional P5 game (like we did with UW/WSU) each year and can't play 1AA teams any more (beyond those that had already been scheduled - our last one is in 2017), so one game with an old eastern rival and one cupcake (a bottom-feeder MAC/SunBelt team, not one of their top teams - need at least one breather) would be good.
No more Army and Navy. The preparation for them doesn't help our players in the rest of the games. They employ a style of blocking and tackling that seems rough on our player's knees.

WVU would be a good annual OOC game for the fans, plus in some years, they could help our SOS.

You know it's a rivalry game if tickets are sold out as soon as they go on sale...call
Me ignorant (don't really) but none of those teams that Al mentioned would definitely sell out unless it's game week and the weather forecast is perfect. You can't just create rivalries. RU is in a new conference, rivalries will develop naturally over time,
No sense in trying to create an artificial rivalry, if the other school fan base doesn't see it as that then what kind of rivalry would it really be? Not all schools have true "rivals". Though I do think it would be fun to have all those teams rotate on the schedule. Would improve the OOC schedule and be a local recruiting boost, though only Pitt is really in fertile recruiting ground.

No thanks to: Pitt, Cuse, and Connie. Do NOT want them getting a "free" recruiting weekend in NJ

Couldn't care less: Temple

Maybe: WVU

Other than WVU these schools tended to bring less than 500 fans to games in Piscataway. What kind of "rivalry" is that?

there is zero reason to give WVU a game in the northeast to aid their recruiting...NONE

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT