ADVERTISEMENT

Rotate SU, UConn, WV, Pitt, BC, Temple for Annual Rivalry Game

56540492.jpg

Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
It would be great if one of our OOC games each year were against an old Eastern Rival. Love Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, Primanti's in Pittsburgh, Chicken Bones in WV, Pat's in Philly (Temple), visiting colonial sites in Boston, and stopping by fine restaurants in Stamford, CT. Great places to visit.
So you want us to play these teams so you have an excuse to go visit restaurants.

Reactions: 17Q66
No thank you

We already screwed up and play temple in a 2 for 2 which should be 2 for 1 at worst

We face 9 big ten games and have a tenth against Washington, Miami, UCLA and va tech in the next 8 years

Our schedule is perfect except for the temple series

...gotta love cuse and TU fans camping out on our board because they 'don't care' and Rutgers is 'irrelevant'...

Yeah, you sure told us. Oh, and change of address & voter registration forms are right next to the 'Im obsessed with the Rutgers Message Board' gift baskets.

Joe P.

A rivalry develops over extended periods of time and becomes a tradition.

However, for both schools to consider it a rivalry it also has to be somewhat competitive over time.

Rutgers and Penn State could develop over time but at the moment I do not believe Penn State fans would consider it so because of the one sided margin of victory.

Penn State vs Rutgers: Penn State 26-3.

At the moment I would think that Syracuse would be considered a rival because of the fever it brings to Rutgers fans when discussing them.

Syracuse vs Rutgers: Syracuse 30-12-1 Still favoring the cuse but competitive.

Compare that to Pitt vs WVU and Penn State.

Penn State vs Pitt: Penn State 50-42-4 Last Game played: Pitt 12 Penn State 0

Pitt vs West Virginia: Pitt 61-40-3. WVU won the last game played.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

Our problem through our time as a 1A indy and Big East 1.0 is that we weren't usually as good as Pitt, Syracuse and State Penn -- during the 80s on par with BC and Temple, then through the 90s better than Temple and that was about it.

From the 2005 expansion our series with Pitt was enjoyable and not so one-sided. But nothing ever felt like a rivaly, except for possibly UConn. The consensus around here for UConn would be "no, thanks" -- probably for the same reasons Pitt fans would say "no, thanks" to a series with us. Pitt always had WVU and regrets over the State Penn games not being played, so the feeling just wasn't there on either side. It might have taken another 10 years or more to develop.

So for now, we know we'll play PSU and Maryland every year, toward the end of the season. That's not so bad. We'll have the Temple series coming up, and if we can play Pitt, Syracuse or WVU on occasion I'd look forward to it.

I would like to retain our Eastern identity so would not mind any of these games plus easy road trips. Would like these teams on future schedules.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
We are in the B1G. Rivalry games are in conference. Period.

Michigan/Notre Dame
Michigan State/Notre Dame
Iowa/Iowa State
Penn State/Pitt
Indiana/Kentucky
Illinois/Missouri
Purdue/Notre Dame
Nebraska/Oklahoma*
Nebraska/Colorado*

All OOC rivals that still play pretty consistently. Even Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa all had pretty big rivalries with Nebraska before Nebraska joined the B1G.

Everybody except RU, Maryland, Nebraska and Penn State have been playing each other in the same conference since the 50's. Other than Michigan State the rest of the B1G has been together since its inception for the most part. So obviously the most fierce rivalries will be in conference but you can certainly maintain a great rivalry OOC even if it's only a 2-6 game series every 10-15 years.

*Nebraska has yet to play a former B12 rival since joining the B1G but they do have two 2 year series scheduled with old rivals Colorado (2018-2019 and 2023-2024) and Oklahoma (2021-2022 and 2029-2030).

Last edited:
Nothing says "rivalry games" like having 200 Pitt, UConn, or Syracuse fans show up to your stadium. NONE of those schools give a damn about us, bottom line, never have and never will. We tried for, what, 30 years with Pitt and Cuse? No thanks. UConn? Great games, yes, but 1 trip to Bores, CT and Ash will wish he never "went there."

WVU and Temple? Sure and, uhm, isn't Temple on the schedule already? Yes. Would love to see the WVU series back.

Last edited:
Reactions: ClkwrkOrange
Other than West Virginia, Temple, the other teams can kick rocks. I wouldnt let Syracuse, Pitt, BC anywhere near NJ. Theres a reason why they havent done well recruiting wise in recent times. I would rather have a series vs Cincinnati. Not sure about Louisville though because theyre in ACC.

I would like to see something get done with WVU, Cuse and BC, no Temple or UConn

True rivalries are real, not manufactured and survive the test of time.

In spite what anyone says, Penn State will always be a rival of Pitt.

You will see it again when Pitt plays Penn State this year and over the next 3 years.

West Virginia is also a true rivalry game with Pitt and talks are underway on future scheduling of the EERS.

What I think will happen is Pitt will probably rotate Penn State and WVU on future schedules.

Rivalry games bring out the true passion of the fans and the fact that you cannot bear to lose to that OTHER team.

Michigan State was supposed to be the rival of Penn State but it never materialized as anything more than another B1G game.

At this point, I am not sure who Rutgers fans consider a true rival school and why you would not want to compete against them.

It is what make football fun (IMO).

Iowa - Iowa State
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Texas - Texas a&m
Florida - Florida State
Clemson - South Carolina

HAIL TO PITT!!!!
I agree, I think most Rutgers fans hate Penn State & Cuse....and to a lesser degree BC

How anout a rivalry game vs Upsala U in Stockholm? Nice road trip, stunning 'scenery', and who doesn't remember Upsala College in East Orange?

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Would no longer consider any of these as "rivalry" games. That said, I do like the idea of playing these regional games on a rotating basis.

It would be great if one of our OOC games each year were against an old Eastern Rival. Love Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, Primanti's in Pittsburgh, Chicken Bones in WV, Pat's in Philly (Temple), visiting colonial sites in Boston, and stopping by fine restaurants in Stamford, CT. Great places to visit.
I didn't read through this whole thread so don't know if this was already said. You listed 6 teams in the title. Can't be a rivalry if you are playing once every 6 years.

Yes - Temple: virtual home game for out fan, close by, and area we recruit, and a nice place to visit.

Maybe - WV: I liked playing them but... I'll probably never visit Morgantown, and there's no recruiting gain.

Indifferent: Pitt

No - Cuse, UCONN, BC.... no reason to legitimize these teams and give them a free recruiting trip to NJ.

How anout a rivalry game vs Upsala U in Stockholm? Nice road trip, stunning 'scenery', and who doesn't remember Upsala College in East Orange?

My older brother went to Upsala and played football for them. I think they were the Vikings.

Uconn could open up a satellite office in North Jersey and they still wouldn't be able to recruit anyone to that dump of a school with a rented crap football stadium 25 miles from campus and a football schedule that makes you want to puke. And if we never played them again it would be too soon.

Last edited:
I didn't read any of the posts in this thread. I'm just hoping that somebody before me pointed out that the idea is kinda stupid, since a 6 opponent rotation is pretty much the complete opposite of a "rivalry".

Reactions: OriginalKnight
I didn't read through this whole thread so don't know if this was already said. You listed 6 teams in the title. Can't be a rivalry if you are playing once every 6 years.

Sure they can because it's a continuation of existing rivalries. It may not be a rivalry on par with Pitt/Penn State, but they are rivalries nonetheless. Penn State is playing Pitt and that is a rivalry game even thought it was last played around 2000, and their current commitment is two games, so that's twice in 17 years.

Sure they can because it's a continuation of existing rivalries. It may not be a rivalry on par with Pitt/Penn State, but they are rivalries nonetheless. Penn State is playing Pitt and that is a rivalry game even thought it was last played around 2000, and their current commitment is two games, so that's twice in 17 years.

Pitt and Penn State have a commitment to play 4 games in football and looking to set something up for basketball.

HAIL TO PITT!!!!

We already have rivalry games with Penn State and Maryland.

Those other schools are in our past. Honestly, like old girl friends, they just don't matter any more
MD isn't a rivalry at all. It has to happen naturally not just because we're both in the same divison and close. PSU doesn't consider us a rival.

Lets agree then that we have different definitions of the term rivalry.

I didn't read any of the posts in this thread. I'm just hoping that somebody before me pointed out that the idea is kinda stupid, since a 6 opponent rotation is pretty much the complete opposite of a "rivalry".

My post in this thread exactly 3 months ago......

"I don't see how you can call any school a rival if you'd only play them once every 6 years."

Reactions: 17Q66
Your right about that, but it would be memory games against some because RU never had a real rival and the only hope of getting one will be a B1G school becomes one.
Princeton was Rutgers last real rival and that rivalry isn't coming back.

Syracuse doesn't appeal to anything but the memory of bad BE days and won't help recruiting
but a P-5 conference member
UConn just a mid major with more to gain than lose while not being in a good recruiting area
WV really adds nothing in the recruiting department, but does have revenge factor for the whoopings handed in BE match-ups and a P-5 school.
Pitt is in good recruiting territory and an old BE foe along with being in a P-5 conference and
is a respected program.
Temple, nothing of value and no memory game factor.
Miami would be nice because of being in fertile recruiting grounds and a P-5 school

If RU is going to schedule more than one P-5 school for OCC game rotating Syracuse , Pitt, WV & Miami might work out because of old ties to BE and traveling to them might not be too bad for a lot of RU fans.
UConn and Temple don't help one bit unless there 2-1 games or they just come to RU without
Rutgers having to play at their house.

It would be nice to play WVU once in a while. Hillbilly - Guido week was always a highlight of what were some very bad seasons.

I would love to see something different. Remember when we played Arkansas, that was an exiting game. I would much rather schedule Tennessee, TCU, Florida State University, Miami or Georgia Tech. Now that would draw real interest.

RU848789 has nailed our scheduling problem. No more bought FCS games. That leaves us with nine B1G games, plus one P5 home-and-home as per B1G scheduling guidelines. Assume we buy one Group of 5 home game every year. That leaves us one more game. How do we fill that last opening? We could...
  • Buy another FBS game. That would get us to our desired seven home games. Problem is, that would be VERY pricey and others will outbid us.
  • Schedule another P5 home and home. We could, but we shouldn't. Eleven P5 games is at least one too many, unless you are a masochist.
  • That leaves but one option. Schedule a local Group of 5 - a team we SHOULD beat - home and home. It should be one within our recruiting footprint, so that we get some benefit from the road exposure. An easy road trip for the fans is an ancillary benefit.
CONCLUSION - play an annual rivalry game with Temple. We already play them in 2020-2023. Makes sense to just extend the series indefinitely thereafter.

One last comment - forget about playing Navy again as they have no room for us. They are committed to eleven games a year (8 AAC, Army, Air Force, ND). They are not going to give their only remaining game to a P5.
Besides Navy won't say it, but they are waiting for Coast Guard Academy to take up football again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT