ADVERTISEMENT

RU recruiting last in B1G, and even worse than sadexCuse

Is this still a debate? Recruiting correlates DIRECTLY with results. It is proven again and again.

I would argue it is 100% part of the equation than just "coachin em up". Let me explain:

It is membership fee into the BIG BOY echelon. Look at Rivals or 247 Top 20 and that is pretty much the cut off line. You simply cannot even think to compete without a Top 20 class.

Also it depends what are you vying for? A small bowl once every few years vs. some mediocre team...sure then classes in 30s/40s are fine. Welcome to participation trophy night.

But big New Year bowls and competing for the upper tier of the B1G or SEC or PAC...you better first recruit really well.

And YES, before someone replies...coaching matters ALOT. But that comes AFTER you have paid the fee for the country club. USC, UF or Michigan could hire more mediocre HCs and still be miles ahead of programs that have no history / investment in football.

Does Rutgers Admin care to compete with the best?

Knight Shift ... I was thinking someone more along the lines of Steve Spurrier, Les Miles, Jim Tressel, Mack Brown, Chris Peterson, Bob Stoops, David Shaw, Mark Richt.

You guys are all missing the point of our recruiting and the timeline of our rebuild. Had Cuse been coming off the off the field issues Flood brought up and had the talent and youth on the field we had the last two years they would not be recruiting at the level Ash has been.

We are moving along just fine.

You guys are all missing the point of our recruiting and the timeline of our rebuild. Had Cuse been coming off the off the field issues Flood brought up and had the talent and youth on the field we had the last two years they would not be recruiting at the level Ash has been.

We are moving along just fine.

We need to move along quicker. Recruiting has too many reaches and needs more studs.

We need to move along quicker. Recruiting has too many reaches and needs more studs.
Until Rutgers is a full member of the Big Ten, Ash can do whatever he wants as long as he keeps us out of the police blotter.
I'm basically holding my nose until 2021.

Now be fair ... RU is 13th in recruiting, and Purdue also doesn’t have any 4 stars

Our plan is not a fast turnaround as we just can't do that. You just don't snap your fingers and.change all this stuff immediately. It would be nice but realistic here. The plan is to build from scratch and build the foundation which we have done . Now we are changing perceptions and people's minds slowly but surely for the long run. Ash is making his own name and identity and taking steps. It's just such a long climb not all posters have the stomach or patience. No silver bullet here.

Yeah sure we want better recruits faster. But that’s not reality. You guys are hoping for our class to be ranked in the top 3 classes in our program history with a head coach’s 2nd class coming in after a disaster.

Stars are a great indicator due to data analytics.
People who give out these stars have been following these kids from right from the womb.
They are more accurate than doctors on whether your kid is going to amount to anything.
Why do you think Alabama and OSUs are loaded with five and four stars?
They would not take a single senior if they gave him four years of eligibility.
The talent gap is ocean wide.

Stars are one part of the equation. They can be used by coaches to put kids on the radar but a good coach does not rely on a Rivals/247/scout etc ranking in order to decide if they are going to take a kid or not. Bama and OSU are loaded with very specific 4/5 star players. They don't just take the first one that falls off the tree.

Reactions: TRU2RU and RUsojo
First of all- telling us to discuss is such a f-ing lame OP,, if we want to discuss again for the 452nd time, we will. I am sure you will troll out a few of our resident loser fans that are on that will love talking crap about us again for the 453rd time.

Guess your doors are still frozen shut and you are bored. have fun

Are we really last in the BIG? If a team like Illinois can be ahead of us, and considering our geographic location , and we aren’t anywhere near a scandal etc ...welll then , its obvious ash and staff are stinking it up. If this is true, this program is gong nowhere .

One thing that I never expected after finally getting into a P5 conference was the lack of magnetism for recruits. I knew winning was certainly a major factor but really believed the conference played a much larger role.

there is no sad exCuse for this RU recruiting class, even though you will keep trying endlessly.

Even the Row The Boat guy got 3 4-Star players. Two four star players from Florida and one four star player from Georgia were convinced to come to the middle of Minnesotta ....

my only my only question is why are you surprised. Our coaching has proof that can't get out of its own way so why would anyone really want to come here so that they can be saddled with less than mediocre results

Still not sold on Ash.

Any surprises?

There is no (legal) magic formula to speed this up. You saying we need to doesn't magically make it happen. We need to grind and get better each year. After 4 or 5 years, we can be more critical.

I hope the fact that we really might have a good QB will overshadow our recruiting efforts.

Any surprises?

Lus has been respectfully skeptical so I can at least respect where he’s coming from. Some of the others are so f***ing obvious with their agendas it’s comical. I love when people compare us to programs that in the last 10 years have Heisman winners and significant bowl appearances and say, ‘why aren’t we recruitung just like them yet?’

Fair criticism/ comparison is Durkin at Maryland, though he didn’t have to deal with the Flood aftermath or a state culture that worships playing out-of-state as the minimum benchmark of success.

Joe P.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Lus has been respectfully skeptical so I can at least respect where he’s coming from. Some of the others are so f***ing obvious with their agendas it’s comical. I love when people compare us to programs that in the last 10 years have Heisman winners and significant bowl appearances and say, ‘why aren’t we recruitung just like them yet?’

Fair criticism/ comparison is Durkin at Maryland, though he didn’t have to deal with the Flood aftermath or a state culture that worships playing out-of-state as the minimum benchmark of success.

Joe P.
Agree with Lus
As for Durkin...ehhh money money money - and let’s see what he does with those recruits.

Agree with Lus
As for Durkin...ehhh money money money - and let’s see what he does with those recruits.

Almost forgot; if there’s one thing Maryland has that makes me a bit jealous it’s the UA money and I really like what they did to Cole Fieldhouse. I think their stadium is a notch and a half below ours though.

Joe P.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Almost forgot; if there’s one thing Maryland has that makes me a bit jealous it’s the UA money and I really like what they did to Cole Fieldhouse. I think their stadium is a notch and a half below ours though.

Joe P.

I have been around NYC, NJ and MD DC area for years.

The major gap IMO is that the NJ locals look down upon Rutgers. MD locals dont. That has a huge impact with future recruits. Even with bad recruiters like Edsall, MD always got some 4 star recruits.

It is to be seen how Durkin's recruiting shows up in results in a year or two. Too early to tell right now.

Also talked earlier about tiers in recruiting. And my response is this:

Top 20 classes in the B1G or any conf. and you can compete. The Top 10 are are truly elite and that is where coaching matters more.

If you are not Top 20 then forget about competing for meaningful bowls or being on national TV garnering respect.

Also there is a VAST difference between upper 3 star and lower 3star that people here overlook.

I have worked in recruiting and there are some GREAT value in upper 3 stars and the offer sheets are a good sign. PSU for example built up with upper 3 stars before the current Top 5 class.

You can build a great team around these guys.

Our plan is not a fast turnaround as we just can't do that. You just don't snap your fingers and.change all this stuff immediately. It would be nice but realistic here. The plan is to build from scratch and build the foundation which we have done . Now we are changing perceptions and people's minds slowly but surely for the long run. Ash is making his own name and identity and taking steps. It's just such a long climb not all posters have the stomach or patience. No silver bullet here.

Need better recruiters on staff and need to do a much better job of exciting the local recruits. Top NJ recruits are not buying into this staff and it's important to get them to start listening as they should be the base for our recruiting. Schiano was able to do it selling the Big East. It should be easier to sell the Big 10. All the other b.s. about building a foundation, grinding etc... is just dumb. Better staffs get this stuff done at a much quicker pace.

^^ You are absolutely right. Some staffs just recruit better. But also there is a massive lack of state pride in NJ from what I have seen relative to other states.

Also as someone else said, wait until 2021. WRONG! That is too late. Illionois, IU, Purdue etc. all have full share and pretty much basement dwellers. Theri ADMINS dont care and the culture is just stale. One that gives up to the top teams over decades. It is apathy.

The point : is the ADMIN willing to spend and commit on a high level? Great staffs cost ALOT of money and so do facilities.

Need better recruiters on staff and need to do a much better job of exciting the local recruits. Top NJ recruits are not buying into this staff and it's important to get them to start listening as they should be the base for our recruiting. Schiano was able to do it selling the Big East. It should be easier to sell the Big 10. All the other b.s. about building a foundation, grinding etc... is just dumb. Better staffs get this stuff done at a much quicker pace.
You are pretty dumb it seems . Go root for Bama.

I have been around NYC, NJ and MD DC area for years.

The major gap IMO is that the NJ locals look down upon Rutgers. MD locals dont. That has a huge impact with future recruits. Even with bad recruiters like Edsall, MD always got some 4 star recruits.

It is to be seen how Durkin's recruiting shows up in results in a year or two. Too early to tell right now.

Bingo. For years the mantra has been ‘if you go out of state, you ‘made it’ and are a good player’. Thing is stuff like this dies hard and doesn’t change overnight. It took Schiano years to make a dent, something people like to conveniently overlook. Everyone likes to point out things like ‘Schiano got the McCourtys’; if Ash signed a pair of 145 lb 2* corners with like 1 other offer with last-minute offers close to signing day this place would melt the f*** down.

Joe P.

Last edited:
You are pretty dumb it seems . Go root for Bama.

Your an asswipe. I've been a fan for 40 years so shove it up your ass about patience and waiting while other staffs hit the ground running. Staff needs to do a better job PERIOD!!!

Your an asswipe. I've been a fan for 40 years so shove it up your ass about patience and waiting while other staffs hit the ground running. Staff needs to do a better job PERIOD!!!
Don’t think you are that smart of a fan if a fan at all . The past 40 years have nothing to do with ash moving faster for you . As a matter of fact those 40 years are hurting us now in recruiting and everything else. We have no choice but to do a total rebuild and come up with an identity and process for the long term . Like I said ....go root for Bama .

New Jersey culture with respect to Rutgers isn't ever going to change.

One morning in early March of 1976 my History teacher asked me what I was so excited about. I told her I had Scarlet Fever. She sent me to the nurse and called my parents.

Forty-odd years later the recognition gap is still there. It's closed a little, but not much.

We're a major college program competing for eyeballs and dollars in the largest professional sports market in the world. Underestimating the undertaking is recipe for failure. Marquis recruits in New Jersey are over-socialized, over-hyped and overexposed and many and more of them are going to leave. The secret to recruiting success is to recruit nationally.

Don’t think you are that smart of a fan if a fan at all . The past 40 years have nothing to do with ash moving faster for you . As a matter of fact those 40 years are hurting us now in recruiting and everything else. We have no choice but to do a total rebuild and come up with an identity and process for the long term . Like I said ....go root for Bama .

Do you work for RU, have an association with the coaches or players or played for RU? Because if you can't see recruiting is an issue right now than you are blind. I get a process, I get a rebuild. I see what basketball is doing and the rebuild is going well and i see a lot of success in the near future for the program. With football I'm not sure. I don't get two years in a row of historically bad offenses, I don't get how poor our DT recruiting is and how bad in state recruiting (with some exceptions) has been. Jimmies and Joes get the job done. Bring the players in.

Don't insult me with how much of a die hard fan I am. I follow this program 365 days a year so take your Bama comment and save it for someone else.

Do you work for RU, have an association with the coaches or players or played for RU? Because if you can't see recruiting is an issue right now than you are blind. I get a process, I get a rebuild. I see what basketball is doing and the rebuild is going well and i see a lot of success in the near future for the program. With football I'm not sure. I don't get two years in a row of historically bad offenses, I don't get how poor our DT recruiting is and how bad in state recruiting (with some exceptions) has been. Jimmies and Joes get the job done. Bring the players in.

Don't insult me with how much of a die hard fan I am. I follow this program 365 days a year so take your Bama comment and save it for someone else.
All of the above and that is why I am trying to explain things to you . I see I am never going to be able to provide you any info on what we are doing that will ever get you see things a little differently. It’s frustrating when fans like just rain down on what RU is trying to do .

What reasonable fan believes that a program that has won 10 games in the last 3 years and has had a coaching carousel at OC is going to have a great recruiting class? I mean, jeez, some, certainly not all, people on this board need to take off the scarlet colored glasses and join the rest of us in the real world. Win 6 games this year and make some crappy bowl and the recruiting will improve a bit, not tremendously but a bit. Put a string together of winning seasons and then you will see some real improvement. In the meantime, we need a staff that can coach up these kids so they can steal some wins from more talented teams.

Reactions: rutger80 and Rhuarc
The thing with recruiting is it has gotten more accurate over the past ten years. It's more likely that the McCourteys would be 4 stars these days. It gets harder and harder to get those type of recruits. Under the radar recruits don't stay under the radar nearly as much anymore. I think now more than ever the top teams are incredibly top heavy with elite recruits.

All of the above and that is why I am trying to explain things to you . I see I am never going to be able to provide you any info on what we are doing that will ever get you see things a little differently. It’s frustrating when fans like just rain down on what RU is trying to do .

So you are a part of Rutgers and you tell a die hard fan to go follow Bama and tell him he's pretty dumb? You're an excellent representative of Rutgers.

So you are a part of Rutgers and you tell a die hard fan to go follow Bama and tell him he's pretty dumb? You're an excellent representative of Rutgers.
Yep, frustrating. Most fans are smart and loyal. Some are clueless and vulger and we have to put up with them but no one enjoys it.

Yep, frustrating. Most fans are smart and loyal. Some are clueless and vulger and we have to put up with them but no one enjoys it.

See,

As a rep of RU, you are doing a couple things wrong here. First of all, you don't insult die hard fans of a program. Might be hard to imagine, but we want results quickly. Two, you give us no info why we should be happy with how the rebuild is going.

See,

As a rep of RU, you are doing a couple things wrong here. First of all, you don't insult die hard fans of a program. Might be hard to imagine, but we want results quickly. Two, you give us no info why we should be happy with how the rebuild is going.
Thanks for all your valuable mentoring and feedback.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT