ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Illinois Game Thread

Mike Williams absence is becoming even more evident. I think it had more to do with his leadership and work ethic. The team fed off of that kind of workman like effort and senior leadership. This team is completely rudderless right now. Freeman and Sanders are not accepting those leadership roles and it shows.
Exactly. Team dynamic has gone to shit without Mike. No leadership on the floor. Guys just doing whatever. Pikiell in a tough spot now with his best leader and best young leader (O) out. Could get even uglier - remember, this is just Illinois - wait til we play good teams without those two guys, assuming O is out. Do we know that yet?

Reactions: RUonBrain
This Saturday Purdue comes to the RAC in front of a sellout crowd at a time where Rutgers is performing at its worse level of the season.

download-6.gif

Rutgers shooting

Reactions: BillyC80
No matter what happens, at least RU won over 10 games this year and beat SHU. Looks like a few good players signed on, so let the team get experience and any additional wins is a bonus this year.

I never thought this team, under Coach P would quit, but they sure look like they have. So, if they can take the night off so should we. No reason to watch the second half. (but I probably will, gluton for punishment I guess)

Reactions: RU Mike73
I get that Williams was very valuable and him not being there forces Mensah to play. That’s huge. But let’s face it, Williams was not having a great year and he wasn’t even starting and seemed to play limited minutes in some games.

This shitshow is not mostly due to the absence of Williams. It looks like players are doing whatever the hell they want out there. ..some defintiely more than others. No leadership is apparent from players or coaches right now.
That's why I said his leadership and work ethic. If you've ever played organized sports those senior guys can become infectious for younger guys. I'm not seeing the same type of intensity since he went down. I'm talking guys hustling, diving for balls, fighting through screens, blocking out and going full out for a rebound. No, what I see now is a bunch of guys standing around hoping somebody else makes the play. These are the intangibles that a senior like Mike can bring to a squad, that's now missing.

Reactions: RUonBrain
That why I said his leadership and work ethic. If you've ever played organized sports those senior guys can become infectious for younger guys. I'm not seeing the same type of intensity since he went down. I'm talking guys hustling, diving for balls, fighting through screens, blocking out and going full out for a rebound. No, what I see now is a bunch of guys standing around hoping somebody else makes the play.

Point taken but Williams wasn’t always on the court. With no other “leaders” this falls on the coaches.

No matter what happens, at least RU won over 10 games this year and beat SHU. Looks like a few good players signed on, so let the team get experience and any additional wins is a bonus this year.

With how horrible the OOC Schedule was this year, being satisfied with getting to 10 wins is sickening. A winning record was the goal. Losing to stony and Hartford made it hard, losing mike Williams made it worse, if Eugene is out for a while, we may not win another game.

Except it was mostly built on a cupcake schedule and more than 75% of the league has outrecruited us for next year.

Reactions: bac2therac
We're gonna lose by 40 to the 12th-best team in the conference.

True character of the "superstars" coming through loud and clear. Sad but true.

Nobody better mention attendance even once the rest of the year. If the players don't give a shit then neither should we.

53-24 Illinois with 9 three pointers .The second half has all the makings of a 30 point loss with Rutgers scoring maybe 40 points.

Amazing seeing the reactions change over the past few games. We didn't go from an unstoppable team to worst in the conference. We went from being a bottom 1/3 team in conference with severe scoring issues to a bottom 1/3 team with severe scoring issues and (arguably) its best scorer out for the year.

We went 7-25 two years ago and at this point we're playing a roster that's essentially 1/3 carryovers from that team, 1/4 tired freshmen, 1/4 walk-ons, and the remainder minimal contributors. It's going to take another couple of years to win consistently.

we finished last two years, we finished last last year and we will finish last again. So really what has changed...a few feel good wins agains sisters of the poor and anomoly win over SHU

quite frankly this team should not be playing 22 home games next year...make them play alot of road games...its about improving the program not getting a fake 500 mark

Reactions: GORU2014
With how horrible the OOC Schedule was this year, being satisfied with getting to 10 wins is sickening. A winning record was the goal. Losing to stony and Hartford made it hard, losing mike Williams made it worse, if Eugene is out for a while, we may not win another game.

people actually rationalized those two losses...they were a really bad sign..and we had a full roster for those games

Baker makes a nice 3-point play and then we turn it over the next two possessions. Classic.

Pikiell really getting it done.

Just not enough talent to score half as many points as Illinois

Not enough.

If it was up to the board we’d have a team full of Mike Williams, Geo’s, and Omoruyi’s. Nice to have fan favorites but the talent level needs to be much much higher.

I have a bad feeling Pikiell recruits like Ash.

Rutgers has been recruiting "under the radar" guys for decades and then fans wonder why we don't win.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT