ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

Shoutout to Geo Baker and the NIL collective! Glad you guys are getting paid to Lose and Leave!

NIL is garbage

blaming Geo for NIL is silly. the whole NIL thing started waaaaaaaaaay before Geo.

blame the NCAA. they should have recognized what was coming a LOOOONG TIME ago and passed some fair rules allowing kids a reasonable return on their name/ image/ likeness.

Instead they put their head in the sand. forcing the Supreme Court to rule against them

...and now we have the Wild West.

blame the NCAA for greed, corruption and/or ineptitude and lack of foresight and balls to address the issue before it came to that.

Geo? puhleaze. youre giving him waaaaaaay too much credit.

I don’t need to know. You think 2 freshmen are going to tear up the B1G? How did that go for GG this year. We don’t have an offense. Why do you think Cam is competing for a national title. Do you know where GG probably going to wind up? Guarantee whatever team it is they will have a more successful season than ours.
Multiple teams rebuilt in the portal and were successful. Pay attention. Its how every team will be looking to improve.

His words, “I’m completely fine speaking about this because I’m never going to transfer”, he said “I’m never going to enter the portal. Even if things go wrong, knock wood, I’m here. I’m staying. I’m not the guy that would enter the portal, ever”

So either this kid’s word means absolutely nothing or this is the coaching staff telling him to explore his options. Looking at the guys who stayed and the guys who are coming he doesn’t have a clear shot at a lot of minutes next year.

Reactions: BossNJ
Remind me one year. I’m sure we will be talking about our post season run full of success next March

/s

I seriously dont understand what your complaint is.

you think we would have a better chance at the NCAA next year if Chol, Wolf, Simpson, etc. stayed?

Reactions: BillyC80
blaming Geo for NIL is silly. the whole NIL thing started waaaaaaaaaay before Geo.

blame the NCAA. they should have recognized what was coming a LOOOONG TIME ago and passed some fair rules allowing kids a reasonable return on their name/ image/ likeness.

Instead they put their head in the sand. forcing the Supreme Court to rule against them

...and now we have the Wild West.

blame the NCAA for greed, corruption and/or ineptitude and lack of foresight and balls to address the issue before it came to that.

Geo? puhleaze. youre giving him waaaaaaay too much credit.
one team wins the NCAA tournament. Everyone else is paying players for Losing seasons.

Do you honestly think we are winning the Natty Chip next year?

Blow it out your ass. NIL is a waste of $$$ and time

• Haha
Reactions: RedTeam1994
This is more transfer portal related than NIL related in this instance but go on with the Geo attacks.

Reactions: fluoxetine
The days of loyal sons are gone. These kids can give two s**** about being loyal to a university. This is the time where you need coaches like Pitino Calipari and the rest of the sleezebag coaches

You do realize HC Pike recruited 5 freshman for 3 available scholarships.
He was kicking out 2 "loyal sons" regardless.
Maybe he knew a year ago players weren't returning. I find that a little unlikely.

HCs aren't exactly the model of loyalty either. Including HC Pike.

one team wins the NCAA tournament. Everyone else is paying players for Losing seasons.

Do you honestly think we are winning the Natty Chip next year?

Blow it out your ass. NIL is a waste of $$$ and time

um. okay.

well thats one take.

dont even know what to make of this comment, except.... seek help?

I seriously dont understand what your complaint is.

you think we would have a better chance at the NCAA next year if Chol, Wolf, Simpson, etc. stayed?
My complaint is the coaching is a problem. NIL is a problem. There’s no more building a sustained team anymore. We were actually doing that prior to NIL. Throw that out the window. We are getting the 2 best recruits in the history of the program and we still likely won’t have success next season. That makes zero sense to me. One and dones are a problem and always were. Now we have to deal with NIL mercenaries as well.

I wanted a sustained successful program that competes every year with an actual chance at post season success. I wanted to become a traditional powerhouse.

I just don’t see any way for us to maintain continuous sustained success when you have a new roster turnover of 8 new players per season.

Reactions: dollarbill
I think we can finally stop pretending that he was ever worth the hype in the first place. Blame the staff for recruiting him at all, not losing him

Pop Tv Ronnielee GIF by Schitt's Creek

That being said..for the program I think this is a net positive. GG was not good…no ifs and or buts.

Other programs are losing 15 ppg players…this really isn’t going to hurt us as long as our transfers in are the right ones.

All that being said.its still terrible. More so for the sport and less so for Rutgers.

My complaint is the coaching is a problem. NIL is a problem. There’s no more building a sustained team anymore. We were actually doing that prior to NIL. Throw that out the window. We are getting the 2 best recruits in the history of the program and we still likely won’t have success next season. That makes zero sense to me. One and dones are a problem and always were. Now we have to deal with NIL mercenaries as well.

I wanted a sustained successful program that competes every year with an actual chance at post season success. I wanted to become a traditional powerhouse.

I just don’t see any way for us to maintain continuous sustained success when you have a new roster turnover of 8 new players per season.

yes. NIL stinks. the transfer rules stink. youre right, IMHO, about how its changed, virtually overnight, the landscape of college basketball in a negative way. the aspect of college basketball that I liked (watching kids improve over the years, etc. is GONE.

however, youre wrong that teams cant succeed under (not all successful NCAA teams are multi-year junior/senior lead), youre wrong that Geo is to blame (just silly) and your anger ("blow it out your ass") seems misplaced

but, yes, this whole thing stinks.

heck, RU might come out of this in a MUCH BETTER PLACE then we were in a month ago. Pike MIGHT BRING IN MUCH BETTER PLAYERS than those who left. but I still dont like this new landscape at all. totally eroding my fandom. this is far more turnover than the NBA (they at least have multi-year contracts). the NCAA is insane right now.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Sorry, this is a dumb statement; it’s not like Gavin road the bench the whole season. Haters just hate. the NIL is pushing these young men into this situation, not happy about it but can’t blame them. More teams will be losing their guys soon as well.

F Hobbs on his podcast comments. These are not kids anymore. These are players making up to six figures a year.tbey are paid players not students .they are not in it for education now it's all about the bag.
What is the value of ones likeness from the backside as they walk out the door?
The image that comes to mind of these kids is not one I'm interested in investing with.

Say his name, it's ru72 and acting like you know it "all" never works especially when you go from wishy washy lawyer speak to saying something definitive.
Ok you were right.

You and @NickRU714 maybe some others.
You guys called the false prophet on his posts first.

Others pilled on against you and gave you shit.

I’ll admit it I feel for it at first.

It’s clear now that it’s all slight of hand.

Reactions: NickRU714
I don’t need to know. You think 2 freshmen are going to tear up the B1G? How did that go for GG this year. We don’t have an offense. Why do you think Cam is competing for a national title. Do you know where GG probably going to wind up? Guarantee whatever team it is they will have a more successful season than ours.

Laugh if GG goes to UConn
So now you're equating GG with Cam ??

Sorry, this is a dumb statement; it’s not like Gavin road the bench the whole season. Haters just hate. the NIL is pushing these young men into this situation, not happy about it but can’t blame them. More teams will be losing their guys soon as well.
Richie said this isn’t NIL it’s PT related.

There was something very dysfunction about this team. My feeling you had a really bad egg which infected everyone(maybe got in their ear) and it got so toxic everyone wants out. Look no further than the guy quitting on his team and sitting on the bench.

Last edited:
here is the deal....if Pike cannot CLOSE with who he has and who he WANTED to STAY and who could be a mainstay his junior/senior year, how can anyone be confident he can convince LEGIT not just okay portal player to come to Rutgers

losing your top recruits....like Jones/Gavin amongst huge black hole in depth in recruiting for other seasons is something I hope people start paying attention to instead of slogging off

yes next year is a sugar high with 2 players that fallen into his lap and then gone...and then then what
Hey..didn't we get the APC and that was gonna be the difference maker.. oh no, that was joining the B1G, and the BE before that. Lol..

Reactions: RU at the shore

by "PT" I assume you mean playing time?

If so, and the concern is about playing time NEXT season then I am curious how thats the case when we (presumably they) dont know who's coming in

If its related to his playing time LAST season (and he/ his family) dont think he got enough then I think he/ they are insane

That would be Pike's goody two shoes act. While others will tell them what they want to hear and then later recant on the promise, Pike will not promise anyone starting minutes. You would think it would harm those coaches which lie, but it doesn't because you're dealing with 18 to 20 yr. olds who all think it'll be different this time.

Reactions: LeapinLou
No team built with players that have never played together coming for one season together will ever succeed especially at a non traditional powerhouse like RU.

next year is going to be a massive let down.
I hope you're dead wrong but I understand the concern.

No team built with players that have never played together coming for one season together will ever succeed especially at a non traditional powerhouse like RU.

next year is going to be a massive let down.
But this is happening to the every program in the nation...........doesn't that in essence put us all on equal footing? I know we are all emotionally tired of this NIL landscape, but I feel like people are overreacting to Pikes ability to deal with this and adjust.

My suggestion is, give it more time and see how it plays out. We are all reacting strongly because next year looked so uniquely good on paper and now the potential of that is being challenged. With that said, i'm highly disappointed that Gavin is leaving because I still think he has a lot of unrealized potential.................but think of it this way.........what if he stayed, and by the middle of next year we realized that he really was massively overrated and may never pan out...............if that happened, every single one of us would say, "damn, I wish he had gone in the portal last year and we replaced him with a productive player." That is a scenario that could of easily played out for next year.

So again, be patient and see if we can actually replace him with a more viable, productive alternative for next year. I'm frustrated as hell, but i'm old enough to know that during times like these, over reactions are commonplace and usually a waste of time. I'm being patient and having faith that we will be just fine.

Last edited:
There was something very disfunction about this team. My feeling you had a really bad egg which infected everyone(maybe got in their ear) and it got so toxic everyone wants out. Look no further than the guy quitting on his team and sitting on the bench.
Mag is already gone so this makes no sense with Gavin

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT