ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball wing Gavin Griffiths enters Transfer Portal

here is the deal....if Pike cannot CLOSE with who he has and who he WANTED to STAY and who could be a mainstay his junior/senior year, how can anyone be confident he can convince LEGIT not just okay portal player to come to Rutgers

losing your top recruits....like Jones/Gavin amongst huge black hole in depth in recruiting for other seasons is something I hope people start paying attention to instead of slogging off

yes next year is a sugar high with 2 players that fallen into his lap and then gone...and then then what
Top players fell into his lap?? You lost it. Blame a coach for everything unless it's something he did well.

Reactions: ldwnmas
Richie said this isn’t NIL it’s PT related.

Everything is NIL related now. NIL “professionalized” college sports..and now almost every athlete in the NCAA is going to do what’s best for their brand..no one should by loyal anymore because of NIL.

It sucks.

Mag is already gone so this makes no sense with Gavin
Sure it does. Doesn't matter if Mag's gone the entire year was a sh*tshow and it was reported that Mag was a malcontent and troublesome. He had problems with how he was being used and probably got in people's ears they were being used incorrectly or coached wrong.

It's easier to blame others than yourself for your faults. This is all Gavin has seen in a full year of Rutgers. A dysfunctional program and unrest between the players, he wants a change of scenery and did not like what he saw here. IMO Pike was wrong to let Mag sit on the bench and should have sent his packing when the trouble arouse.

Last edited:
Not really sure how fans would reference to he was mishandled.

He played a lot of minutes, got a lot of shots, and ran plays for someone who underperformed his billing.

Did he expect to be handed a starting role after his performance this season ? He needs to develop . Especially physically. But in this day and age of college athletics , nobody wants to hear that.
He was pretty bad--both sides of the ball. Bye, Bye!

Two thoughts:

1 - Griffiths - so much for the whole "I will never enter the portal" speech. That's a bad look. What's the deal? Afraid to compete for playing time? You think you deserve a guaranteed 25+ minutes next year, or starting role, or.... after this past season? Not a Loyal Son for sure. I don't wish him any ill will, but I'm certainly not going to wish him well moving forward, either. He bailed on us.

2 - Mag - looking back at it, he should've been kicked off the team as soon as he decided he was done playing for us. Have a conversation between staff and player. "Hey the trainers say you are cleared, you look healthy in practice recently, what's going on?" "I'm not feeling it, coach." "Alright, clear out your locker on your way out of the office."

Everything is NIL related now. NIL “professionalized” college sports..and now almost every athlete in the NCAA is going to do what’s best for their brand..no one should by loyal anymore because of NIL.

It sucks.

Okay - let’s see where he ends up. If he’s riding the back of UConn’s roster you’ll be proven correct.

Two thoughts:

1 - Griffiths - so much for the whole "I will never enter the portal" speech. That's a bad look. What's the deal? Afraid to compete for playing time? You think you deserve a guaranteed 25+ minutes next year, or starting role, or.... after this past season? Not a Loyal Son for sure. I don't wish him any ill will, but I'm certainly not going to wish him well moving forward, either. He bailed on us.

2 - Mag - looking back at it, he should've been kicked off the team as soon as he decided he was done playing for us. Have a conversation between staff and player. "Hey the trainers say you are cleared, you look healthy in practice recently, what's going on?" "I'm not feeling it, coach." "Alright, clear out your locker on your way out of the office."
1. Gavin questions why we don’t run a college level competent offense and his “open” shots are 30/35 ft out!

2. Agreed but larger Pike problem why did he quit? Deemed the reason why we did not make the tournament the year he got hurt. Clearly valued especially coming into last year. (Ppl acted like he was MJ )

Okay - let’s see where he ends up. If he’s riding the back of UConn’s roster you’ll be proven correct.

highly doubt he’ll end up there if it’s playing time related as is reported. Not disagreeing there.

But to say this has nothing to do with NIL is wrong, everything coaches, players and programs do now are NIL related

Sure it does. Doesn't matter if Mag's gone the entire year was a sh*tshow and it was reported that Mag was a malcontent and troublesome. This is all Gavin has seen in a full year of Rutgers. A dysfunctional program and unrest between the players, he wants a change on scenery and did not like what he saw here.
Wow, that's a boatload of speculation! And if the trouble maker is leaving still doesn't make any sense to me, is he a mindless drone or does he have the cognitive ability to analyze and evaluate a situation? And they did win 15 games, including many against post season teams, including 4 in a row in Feb when they were as hot as anyone in the B1G, I wouldn't call that dysfunctional, but I guess we see things very differently

The only thing dysfunctional about this team was there ability to put the ball in the hoop

Last edited:
Wow, that's a boatload of speculation! And if the trouble maker is leaving still doesn't make any sense to me, is he a mindless drone or does he have the cognitive ability to analyze and evaluate a situation? And they did win 15 games, including many against post season teams, including 4 in a row in Feb when they were as hot as anyone in the B1G, I wouldn't call that dysfunctional, but I guess we see things very differently
So, someone in your ear for a year questioning their use and the staff's competence isn't going to have an effect? Pike allowed Mag to fester around the program for months eventually someone will listen. Why is Gavin now suddenly questioning his role and demanding playing time? Obviously, Gavin and Mag had some sort of friendship, otherwise he wouldn't have gone public with his defense of him. I didn't read any other players doing so.

Reactions: BillyC80
I will be at an event next month with Pat Hobbs, Umme Salim-Beasley, Gymnastics Head Coach, Scott Goodale, Wrestling Head Coach & Mike O’Neill, Women’s Soccer Head Coach. We have already been advised that Hobbs is ready to address any and all questions related to NIL and the portal. While many won't be passionate RU sports fans, this should be a raucous event.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
This ^^.

Just frustrated overall. Hate NIL and new age of College but still say Pikell didnt handle this one right way. I dont know all details but this kid seemed like a loyal son and something drastically changed. Maybe some if it is NIL but think there is much more to it then that.
Pike let him, a freshman, play 20+ mins most nights through HORRIFIC shooting and defensive performances. The kid shot 32% from the field and 28% from three.

His minutes got cut right into the 4 game winning streak where he played 14/20/12/7.

if he was a 3 star out of high school the narrative would’ve been pikiell missed on another unheralded guy.

For all that loyalty this is how he was rewarded. Luckily pikiell has woken up to reality of roster management in the NIL era after last year and there is no more Mr nice guy ie pushing out the dead weight.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "Pikes can do no wrong" guy and I really wish we had more offensive schemes than we run to help create shot opportunities.

Give me the guys that want to be here.

Reactions: RUBlackout
So, someone in your ear for a year questioning their use and the staff's competence isn't going to have an effect? Pike allowed Mag to fester around the program for months eventually someone will listen. Why is Gavin now suddenly questioning his role and demanding playing time? Obviously, Gavin and Mag had some sort of friendship, otherwise he wouldn't have gone public with his defense of him. I didn't read any other players doing so.
Again, a boatload of speculation. We don't know if any of this is true, especially demanding playing time. I don't know how he could shoot 32% from the field and 60% from the FT line and expect a bigger or guaranteed role next year; if anything he should be questioning his ability to play high major ball and the need to step down to an easier level, there's some speculation that makes sense

Not at all. It would tell me he needs to go back to what works.
Pike is closer to being gone than he is coaching in the new arena. The list of excuses can only get to be so long.

Team on the court is trending in the wrong direction and now we have culture problems , kids quitting mid season, and high praised recruits walking away after one year.

Seats hot

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a "Pikes can do no wrong" guy and I really wish we had more offensive schemes than we run to help create shot opportunities.

Give me the guys that want to be here.

The age of athletes “wanting to be” at
Pike is closer to being gone than he is coaching in the new arena. The list of excuses can only get to be so long.

Team on the court is trending in the wrong direction and now we have culture problems , kids quitting mid season, and high praised recruits walking away after one year.

Seats hot

Program is actually heading in the right direction. Best class in RU history coming in. 2nd best class in nation.

Good times ahead

Seats hot
that is going to be an expensive buyout.

Seats hot
You think Rutgers is the only school that’s having major players hit the transfer portal? It’s hilarious how delusional some of you are 😂

Utah state says hi too. They had zero players on their roster in June..win a very good MWC 9 months later then won an ncaa tourney game.
Yea there’s tons of examples. I wanted to give him one with tourney success cause you know he would have scoffed at Utah state.

The age of athletes “wanting to be” at

Program is actually heading in the right direction. Best class in RU history coming in. 2nd best class in nation.

Good times ahead
On the court direction

The best recruit in school history, who actually came to school who was never developed and just walked out the front door. Next years class on paper is very strong but not here yet.

I'll see where he lands before knocking him.
A good program , he's someone that is well thought of.
A lesser program, he might have lost some of his luster major programs say when he
was being recruited out of high school because of the way he played his freshman year

The way he played this year wasn't up to expectations , but as a soph might
have learned the college game and prove to be as talented as thought, just needed time to adjust.
Pike shouldn't be blamed, the transfer system now makes it easy for a player to leave for what he hopes is greener pastures after performing poorly at the place he's leaving .
Knowing he can move to a lesser program for one season, play well and have the majors going after him.
College basketball is a mercenary system that schools are places to play until another school offers a better showcase and/or NIL money

I'll see where he lands before knocking him.
A good program , he's someone that is well thought of.
A lesser program, he might have lost some of his luster major programs say when he
was being recruited out of high school because of the way he played his freshman year

The way he played this year wasn't up to expectations , but as a soph might
have learned the college game and prove to be as talented as thought, just needed time to adjust.
Pike shouldn't be blamed, the transfer system now makes it easy for a player to leave for what he hopes is greener pastures after performing poorly at the place he's leaving .
Knowing he can move to a lesser program for one season, play well and have the majors going after him.
College basketball is a mercenary system that schools are places to play until another school offers a better showcase and/or NIL money
I curious what can Pike actually be blamed for?

On the court direction

The best recruit in school history, who actually came to school who was never developed and just walked out the front door. Next years class on paper is very strong but not here yet.

Well of course they aren’t here yet. But when they get here our team on the court should be one of the best to ever play here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT