ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers-Maryland at Yankee Stadium, per source

R u serious u don't know what one has to do with the other???!!!

Um ok very simple economics 101 lesson for you called supply/demand. If RU really does have more fans in the city than all those other schools, they will have no problem selling out a game at YS because there will be a very high demand and YS has similar capacity to HPSS.

Whats funny though is how many people in this thread were yelling and screaming at me about how many more fans RU has in the city than other schools and now those same fans fear being embarrassed by the turnout to a game in the SAME CITY....

Yankees dont sell out Yankee Stadium..and im sure theres more Yankee fans in the area than RU fans.

Amount of fans in the area has VERY LITTLE to do with how many people go.

Dude I'll have what you are smoking. That a whole bunch of complete horse crap.

If you haven't noticed there has been zero excitement for the Pinstripe Bowl run by one of the best marketing sports franchises in the world. It's a complete black hole!

And really?? revenge for a game 70% of the fan base has never heard of??

Attendance and ratings-wise I think the Pinstripe Bowl has been successful. It certainly helped that for its first 6 years you had local squads + ND, but compared to some of the other 3rd&4th tier games it's drawn bigger crowds. I do think though that for the local teams the 'excitement' feels a bit forced, kind of like when you're a kid and you're going to your strict Aunt's house around Christmas; you're happy that you're getting a gift, but your Aunt is one of those people that keeps their house like a museum, you're not allowed to do anything there that remotely resembles fun, and if you start clowning around with your siblings, chances are you'll either end up breaking some sort of decoration and/or your parents will berate you.

Joe P.

Um ok very simple economics 101 lesson for you called supply/demand. If RU really does have more fans in the city than all those other schools, they will have no problem selling out a game at YS because there will be a very high demand and YS has similar capacity to HPSS.

How is this an economics lesson? Given that the football capacities for Yankee Stadium and HPSS are roughly the same, this game is a money loser for us.

Not sure what one has to do with tbe other..

Of course, if ND, OSU, etc play at YS..it will sell out..how many "home games" do they play in the area?? That will be an event to them. They wont get to see them play every 3 weeks.
Of course they would. They only need 40% of their current season ticket holder to buy in. . Wait until one of these Big Ten teams has to play there a second time at YS. We are going on our 4th. Nothing special, been there done that realize I'd rather have a home game.

Attendance and ratings-wise I think the Pinstripe Bowl has been successful. It certainly helped that for its first 6 years you had local squads + ND, but compared to some of the other 3rd&4th tier games it's drawn bigger crowds. I do think though that for the local teams the 'excitement' feels a bit forced, kind of like when you're a kid and you're going to your strict Aunt's house around Christmas; you're happy that you're getting a gift, but your Aunt is one of those people that keeps their house like a museum, you're not allowed to do anything there that remotely resembles fun, and if you start clowning around with your siblings, chances are you'll either end up breaking some sort of decoration and/or your parents will berate you.

Joe P.
Like I said, I'll have what your smoking. Dude put down the pipe, get some munchies and chill. I have no idea where you are going with that!

Reactions: RU31trap
I will now speak for what I imagine is a whole lot of people.

Find our tickets flooding the secondary market.

get ready to mercifully shoot the dead-tired team of wild horses that attempts to get me to that game.

I'd rather us be New Jersey's team.

Hate games at Yankee Stadium. Always a clusterf**k with ticketing and getting into the stadium, and it's just a horrible building to watch a football game in. Plus, the games are usually sloppy because the field sucks, so the product on the field is worse than it would be at a venue that actually supports the sport.

That said, I'll be there - unless I have some conflict that can't be avoided.

Guess this makes me a Yankee fan that season, rooting for a playoff game conflict to bump the game back to Piscataway.

While this certainly has next to zero appeal to the Rutgers fan base - and life could go on just fine without it - Those responsible for marketing Rutgers Football & Rutgers in general, and those focused on marketing for the B1G have to be excited about the attention getting potential of this game - if done right (key is 'done right')

Yes, many look at this as if they have just had a bag of lemons dropped on their doorstep - but if it is (actually was already) a done deal -then what's the best lemonade recipe?

-there are many promotional angles - here is just one -
The game that has become widely known as "The Greatest Game Ever Played" -
- The 1958 National Football League Championship Game - was played on December 28 at Yankee Stadium in New York City
In a historic battle between Maryland's Baltimore Colts and the New York Giants, the final score was Baltimore Colts 23, New York Giants 17
And now, in the present day Yankee Stadium, the New York area's representative in the B1G -the Scarlet Knights of Rutgers University
- will seek to reverse the outcome of that legendary battle with a team from Maryland.

- segments of the Rutgers season ticket fan base will not find it appealing - but
If this game is given strong & thorough preparation, if the weather is decent, if it is showcased by the B1G, the networks, both universities and given huge PR - and if it is a good game with Rutgers prevailing in spectacular fashion - it becomes a huge plus
- also think about how it will be dazzling to visiting recruits - if it is really well done - and Rutgers wins with style
Recruits from around the country will be wowed at the idea of coming in to see a football game at YANKEE STADIUM - and if this is a hyped & network showcased game - recruits will be pondering the prospect of maybe they could some day be playing on national TV in YANKEE STADIUM....

The whole key - the difference between 'spectacular' and 'dud' will be the prep & promotion & execution & Rutgers winning in style.

THIS IS NOT THAT YANKEE STADIUM!!! CHRIST WHEN WILL PEOPLE FIGURE THIS OUT?

Reactions: MoobyCow
Yankees also play 82 games a year in that stadium and we're talking about 1 game and Rutgers hasn't played a home conference game in the city in probably a decade.

You all were sooooo eager to tell me how wrong I was when I was explaining that no, there's really not a ton of RU fans in the city and now that there's a chance to show once and for all that's the case, the SAME posters are yelling that we will have an embarrassing turnout.... Which one is it? If RU has the MOST fans of any other school in NYC, than there's absolutely ZERO reason to be concerned that The #1 fan base (as far as volume according to some of you) in a city with a population of over 8 million people, ur worried about not selling out a 45k capacity stadium....

See this is what's called writing a check ur ass can't cash.

But Rutgers plays 30 minutes from NY..if NY fans want to watch a RU game..they can EASILY.

They dont have to 'wait" for a game at YS.

RU does have the most fans of any school it seems in NYC. There was a Times study..and other non scientific studies tgat support it. The ratings support it. No clue why u r arguing this..

Fact is, RU fans, whether in NJ, NY, PA..would MUCH rather watch a game on campus..and many will skip this game.

Reactions: satnom and MoobyCow
How is this an economics lesson? Given that the football capacities for Yankee Stadium and HPSS are roughly the same, this game is a money loser for us.

We don't know what are the financial details of the deal to say it is a money loser for RU.

Yankees also play 82 games a year in that stadium and we're talking about 1 game and Rutgers hasn't played a home conference game in the city in probably a decade.

You all were sooooo eager to tell me how wrong I was when I was explaining that no, there's really not a ton of RU fans in the city and now that there's a chance to show once and for all that's the case, the SAME posters are yelling that we will have an embarrassing turnout.... Which one is it? If RU has the MOST fans of any other school in NYC, than there's absolutely ZERO reason to be concerned that The #1 fan base (as far as volume according to some of you) in a city with a population of over 8 million people, ur worried about not selling out a 45k capacity stadium....

See this is what's called writing a check ur ass can't cash.
You realize that we have played three games at Yankee Stadium already right? The novelty, if there ever was one, is long gone for most people. People enjoy college football games on college football campuses. They enjoy real tailgating and real sight lines. It doesn't matter how many fans we have in the immediate area, we will NEVER bring more people to a game at Yankee Stadium than we do at our own.

If HPSS and its surrounding lots were picked up by a tornado and dropped on 161st st in the Bronx, yes, we would then have no trouble selling tickets to this game.

Reactions: RUChoppin
We need to get out of this. There's no way I'm going.

There are a lot of MD fans in NYC area, we are happy. If you guys want to plant a flag in NYC, you should do this. I do not get the hostility. It's not like Maryland doesn't play games in Baltimore.

Reactions: Rutgers85
There are a lot of MD fans in NYC area, we are happy. If you guys want to plant a flag in NYC, you should do this. I do not get the hostility. It's not like Maryland doesn't play games in Baltimore.
It's PTSD from the days when we were in smaller conferences where the only way to schedule big time home and home OOC opponents is to bow down and play our home game at a neutral site, mostly the Giants Stadium.

Reactions: RU31trap
But Rutgers plays 30 minutes from NY..if NY fans want to watch a RU game..they can EASILY.

They dont have to 'wait" for a game at YS.

RU does have the most fans of any school it seems in NYC. There was a Times study..and other non scientific studies tgat support it. The ratings support it. No clue why u r arguing this..

Fact is, RU fans, whether in NJ, NY, PA..would MUCH rather watch a game on campus..and many will skip this game.

In a city of 8.4 million, surely there will be enough fans to want to fill up a 47,000 seat stadium if RU's fanbase in NYC is what many posters on here are claiming it is... Absolutely stupid argument, why would people in the city be upset that the game is now closer? After all it's 1 friggin game!
I also love the fact that I have pointed out no less than 3 times how Maryland played at M&T bank stadium last year for a home game... Other teams do it all the time

It's because it kills the tailgating scene, it's a terrible venue to watch football in (because it's, duh, a baseball stadium), and the turf is always coming up in sheets around home plate, the pitcher's mound, and second base, which makes for a really sloppy game in the trenches.

While this certainly has next to zero appeal to the Rutgers fan base - and life could go on just fine without it - Those responsible for marketing Rutgers Football & Rutgers in general, and those focused on marketing for the B1G have to be excited about the attention getting potential of this game - if done right (key is 'done right')

"While this certainly has next to zero appeal to the Rutgers fan base - and life could go on just fine without it - Those responsible for marketing Rutgers Football & Rutgers in general, and those focused on marketing for the B1G have to be excited about the attention getting potential of this game - if done right (key is 'done right')"

Sorry, but RU - UMd on November 4 will not be "attention getting" even if they played it on Mars. Too late in the season to generate any excitement until such time as both programs have built competitive teams. They should play this year's game at YS instead. DO NOT give away a winnable home conference game.

Trust me like an FDIC insured CD guys, if the AD doesn't kill this it will be a slippery slope to every big Market B10 team wanting to play us at Giant stadium. The BS that's been spewed around about us owning the NYC market is speculative at best. Our Home Games must be played in Piscataway. If not, we're being used like the village slut.

Last edited:
You realize that we have played three games at Yankee Stadium already right? The novelty, if there ever was one, is long gone for most people. People enjoy college football games on college football campuses. They enjoy real tailgating and real sight lines. It doesn't matter how many fans we have in the immediate area, we will NEVER bring more people to a game at Yankee Stadium than we do at our own.

If HPSS and its surrounding lots were picked up by a tornado and dropped on 161st st in the Bronx, yes, we would then have no trouble selling tickets to this game.

Well every single year for almost 100 years Oklahoma and Texas used to play eachother in Dallas at the cotton bowl not located on either campus... Never lost interest, NYC is the most populated city on the eastern seaboard, surely with 8.4 million people living in the city that so many of you hang your hat on as why RU should be in the conversation for endorsements like the big boys, they should be able to sell out a stadium that's capacity is HALF of what most major college stadiums hold

Yankees dont sell out Yankee Stadium..and im sure theres more Yankee fans in the area than RU fans.

Amount of fans in the area has VERY LITTLE to do with how many people go.

Yankees don't sell out Yankee stadium because their ticket prices are ridiculous. not a proper comparison.

......THIS IS NOT THAT YANKEE STADIUM!!! CHRIST WHEN WILL PEOPLE FIGURE THIS OUT?
easy ...of course, it is not the same structure - it is a new structure called "Yankee Stadium" - home of the NY Yankees - and it is now across the street from the old structure
- that is why my comment reads -
"And now, in the present day Yankee Stadium,"

but it is still Yankee Stadium, the monuments are there, the gift shop is filled with billions of dollars of souvenirs and memorabilia designed to reinforce the image that this is Yankee Stadium, the Yankees play there, it was designed to reflect the image & feel of much of the original ...and it is simply "Yankee Stadium" in the eyes of the mass market College Football fan target audience - they are not hung-up on this ....and fans from all across the country will say "Oh, Wow ... Yankee Stadium" when they see it on TV
- they are not going to notice anything else - not until some point when the announcer give a short overview of "this historic venue" and you can take it to the bank - they will spin a wonderful tale - weaving not just threads - but steel cables of continuity from Babe Ruth to Lou Gehrig to Joe DiMaggio to Mickey Mantle to Reggie Jackson ... (and they will mention that Reggie threw out the first pitch at this magnificent new structure) to Derek Jeter & Mariano Rivera - to "right where we are today" ....

Trust me like an FDIC insured CD guys, if the AD doesn't kill this it will be a slippery slope to every big Market B10 team wanting to play us at Giant stadium. The BS that's been spewed around about us owning the NYC market is speculative at best. Our Home Games must be played in Piscataway. If not, we're being used like the village slut.

It won't.

Yankees don't sell out Yankee stadium because their ticket prices are ridiculous. not a proper comparison.

Well..according to DNA..nothing else should matter regarding attendance than # of fans that live in area..thats the point i was trying to make.

Many more factors than that.

Well every single year for almost 100 years Oklahoma and Texas used to play eachother in Dallas at the cotton bowl not located on either campus...
Bad comparison because they play EVERY game there. Same with Florida and Georgia playing the Cocktail Party.

Problem 1: it is a baseball stadium. Yuck.

Problem 2: we are giving up a home game. Maryland is not. If the 2018 game was moving to a neutral site too, that would be better.

Problem 3: This sets a bad, bad precedent for moving more home games off camous, particularly if the season ticket fan base is 90% happy with the game being moved.

I would rather see a game moved to Giants Stadout than Yankee Stadium.

And you don't think the ticket prices for this game like the one for Army there and at MetLife won't be considered too expensive?

In a city of 8.4 million, surely there will be enough fans to want to fill up a 47,000 seat stadium if RU's fanbase in NYC is what many posters on here are claiming it is... Absolutely stupid argument, why would people in the city be upset that the game is now closer? After all it's 1 friggin game!
I also love the fact that I have pointed out no less than 3 times how Maryland played at M&T bank stadium last year for a home game... Other teams do it all the time

I'd have no problem if we were playing in a football stadium either..

My problem is playing in a baseball stadium, that we've played in 3 times before, in a different state...and the experiences in the past have been horrible. It's really not a hard concept to grasp...

Well every single year for almost 100 years Oklahoma and Texas used to play eachother in Dallas at the cotton bowl not located on either campus... Never lost interest, NYC is the most populated city on the eastern seaboard, surely with 8.4 million people living in the city that so many of you hang your hat on as why RU should be in the conversation for endorsements like the big boys, they should be able to sell out a stadium that's capacity is HALF of what most major college stadiums hold

You're resorting to now compare arguably THE BEST college football rivalry in the country...a game people fly ALL OVER the country to get to..to a RU-Maryland game at a football stadium.

Not the best argument..in my opinion.

Witnessing a football game at Yankee Stadium...you'll understand the hostility.

I'd have no problem if we were playing in a football stadium either..

My problem is playing in a baseball stadium, that we've played in 3 times before, in a different state...and the experiences in the past have been horrible. It's really not a hard concept to grasp...
Sadly, for more than few on here it is. LOL

I doubt I'll be able to recoup my costs to a game I won't attend. I purchase season tickets to that football stadium in Piscataway, if they want games in other locations they should be optional purchases.

It is also during the Texas State Fair which is right outside the stadium. So they got that going for them. What does Yankee Stadium got? The Bronx?

Wow. So dumb. Tons of Rutgers fans, shitty place to watch. Which of these two do you not understand?? NYC RU fans would rather drive to Piscataway than pay $100+ for a crappy seat in a baseball stadium.
Your brain is writing a check that that logic can't cash.

That will be a great look when negotiating our new endorsement deal...

Pat Hobbs: "We're 30 minutes from New York, huge media market with lots of fans and potential customers"

Kevin Plank/Phil Knight: "Well then why was the stadium half empty when you played in New York?"

Don't you all realize that RU is on the spot to impress for our new endorsement deal, and if we have a poor turnout in the city that we are using as our MAJOR selling point, it will mean next to nothing.

From a STRICTLY financial standpoint, it's imperative that Rutgers has a good turnout for that game to impress potential endorsement companies

Well why not take advantage of that and make this an annual thing where recruits can be PROMISED a game in NYC every year.... IMO that would be a HIgE selling point and something that makes us legitamately different than any other school and something that is uniquely ours.

Because the field is terrible to play on, the sightlines are horrible for fans, and it's not our stadium. There's 3 reasons most fans are against this.

We have plenty of things in Pisacataway that are "uniquely ours"...no need for this game in my opinion...but no need for a game there every 4 years!!! UGh.

And where are your season tickets?? Who do you tailgate with and how long?

I live outside of Baltimore so it's too far for season tix but I do go to at least one game a year and donate annually to the athletic program

That will be a great look when negotiating our new endorsement deal...

Pat Hobbs: "We're 30 minutes from New York, huge media market with lots of fans and potential customers"

Kevin Plank/Phil Knight: "Well then why was the stadium half empty when you played in New York?"

Don't you all realize that RU is on the spot to impress for our new endorsement deal, and if we have a poor turnout in the city that we are using as our MAJOR selling point, it will mean next to nothing.

From a STRICTLY financial standpoint, it's imperative that Rutgers has a good turnout for that game to impress potential endorsement companies
No it is not imperative to fill a baseball stadium for a football game. Only Narrow minded people think it's relavant

Because the field is terrible to play on, the sightlines are horrible for fans, and it's not our stadium. There's 3 reasons most fans are against this.

We have plenty of things in Pisacataway that are "uniquely ours"...no need for this game in my opinion...but no need for a game there every 4 years!!! UGh.

If you think 'The Birthplace' and a Fat Darrell are more unique than getting to play in Yankee Stadium every year to 17 year old kids, well let's just agree to disagree

If you think 'The Birthplace' and a Fat Darrell are more unique than getting to play in Yankee Stadium every year to 17 year old kids, well let's just agree to disagree

If you think those are the only 2 "unique" things about RU...then yah, I disagree. Ha.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT