ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers rapidly is losing ground in the NIL battle with other Big Ten schools, and critics — including people on the inside — believe the Scarlet…

Not just at Rutgers, but everywhere....think of all the other things fans can spend on instead of on NIL. Donate to charities to help the impoverished, the ill, medical research, schools, churches, etc.

It's a shame society values sports as highly as it does. It's everyone's right to spend all they wish on NIL, but clearly it's misguided "generosity".

Not just at Rutgers, but everywhere....think of all the other things fans can spend on instead of on NIL. Donate to charities to help the impoverished, the ill, medical research, schools, churches, etc.

It's a shame society values sports as highly as it does. It's everyone's right to spend all they wish on NIL, but clearly it's misguided "generosity".
That's one way to look at it
I look at it like it's a distraction from real life, but something I value, cherish and means a lot to me

If you're paying your bills and donating to whatever you think is worthwhile (retirement, church, charity) and still have discrepancy income, why not spend it on sports?

Some people are into movies. Others cars. Comic books, Star wars, music, etc.
Some are really into taking vacations

All I know is Rutgers athletics brings me joy
Admittedly, it's much more fun when we're winning
If giving money to kids adds to the fun (equates to more winning), I'll happily do that

NIL isn’t a chicken vs egg issue.

Clearly the team must win first before whales/corporations open up the wallets.

But for sure, they will.

Just look at basketball.

Everyone loves a winner.

That's one way to look at it
I look at it like it's a distraction from real life, but something I value, cherish and means a lot to me

If you're paying your bills and donating to whatever you think is worthwhile (retirement, church, charity) and still have discrepancy income, why not spend it on sports?

Some people are into movies. Others cars. Comic books, Star wars, music, etc.
Some are really into taking vacations

All I know is Rutgers athletics brings me joy
Admittedly, it's much more fun when we're winning
If giving money to kids adds to the fun (equates to more winning), I'll happily do that
Oh, I agree. It means more to me than it should as well. But the NIL-shaming some do here pisses me off.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Oh, I agree. It means more to me than it should as well. But the NIL-shaming some do here pisses me off.
See that's what I don't get

We're all here because we love Rutgers
We all want them to do well, represent the university with class, and win

Some are adamantly against NIL
That's fine - They're entitled to their opinion
What they can't bitch about though is if we are getting smoked due to programs with robust NIL collectives

Some are pro NIL
Again, that's fine also

Nobody is a worse fan than the other people
Some against NIL have donated large sums of $ to the athletic dept for years

What I don't get is the shaming like you said, but why some are fundametly against it
Coaches can make 10 mil / year, NCAA makes ton of $, but kids can't make $ when they're the ones bringing it in?

Personally, I couldn't care less who makes what
Coaches, players, NCAA, the janitor, or the milkman

Just win

How are we getting to 12-0 or 11-1 without huge NIL $s? And how many 12-0 and 11-1 seasons has Greg Schiano ever coached? In fact, how many 10 win seasons has he coached in his entire career? Has he ever been to a major bowl game other than as a fill-in with a losing record during a pandemic? It is absolute fantasy to belief that a man approaching his 60s is suddenly going to flip a switch in this competitive $ environment and produce wins he couldn't produce as a younger man in a simpler time.
This ignores a lot of relevant context. Greg Schiano as a head coach took over the worst team in FBS twice. That's his college head coaching career. In stint 1, he had things rolling and had his first real breakthrough recruiting class when he left because the Big East imploded. Stint 2, the trajectory is up. How many 12-0 seasons has he had? Is that remotely relevant? He doesn't need to flip a switch, just continue on the current trajectory.

I think the headline of the NJ.com article is very misleading. The article actually says Rutgers got a very slow start and is now making up ground. "Rapidly losing ground" is way more scary sounding.

What they can't bitch about though is if we are getting smoked due to programs with robust NIL collectives

Some are pro NIL
Again, that's fine also

What I don't get is the shaming like you said, but why some are fundametly against it
Coaches can make 10 mil / year, NCAA makes ton of $, but kids can't make $ when they're the ones bringing it in?

Coaches, players, NCAA, the janitor, or the milkman.

It's not that hard to understand. I "couldn't care less" who has gender conversion surgery, care about same sex marriage, who kneels before football games, BLM protests and other personal choices that don't affect me. Do you care about those things? I'll bet there are things you are dead-set against that don't impact you anyway, just because they are antithetical to your values.

Dylan Harper's NIL and a janitor’s salary doesn't affect me either.

Often people have rigid values, regardless of personal impact. To many, NIL is an affront to those values same as my above personal choice examples are commonly spurned by others.

I'm not against NIL generally, but it's just not a priority for me.

Last edited:
This ignores a lot of relevant context. Greg Schiano as a head coach took over the worst team in FBS twice. That's his college head coaching career. In stint 1, he had things rolling and had his first real breakthrough recruiting class when he left because the Big East imploded. Stint 2, the trajectory is up. How many 12-0 seasons has he had? Is that remotely relevant? He doesn't need to flip a switch, just continue on the current trajectory.
Thanks for the laugh!!

It's not that hard to understand. I "couldn't care less" who has gender conversion surgery, care about same sex marriage, who kneels before football games, BLM protests and other personal choices that don't affect me. Do you care about those things? I'll bet there are things you are dead-set against that don't impact you anyway, just because they are antithetical to your values.

Dylan Harper's NIL and a janitor’s salary doesn't affect me either.

Often people have rigid values, regardless of personal impact. To many, NIL is an affront to those values same as my above personal choice examples are commonly spurned by others.

I'm not against NIL generally, but it's just not a priority for me.
I think we're saying the same thing, e.g. we don't give a shit about who cares about what, as long as it doesn't affect our lives either way

Personally I think these kids should get paid and am glad they finally are (legally)
They provide a service and have a skillset that most can only dream about accomplishing
Let them capitalize on it

see- we can agree at times...

see- we can agree at times...
Ehhhh.... it's $11.00 per month
That's 2 Starbucks, half a Chiptole meal, or a movie ticket
Is that misguided?

Rivals premium is $9.99 / month...yet a lot of us subscribe to that

As an aside, I do think society puts too much emphasis on bullshit - athletes, musicians, actors and actresses

Reactions: 365Poster24Seven

Some are pro NIL
Again, that's fine also

Coaches, players, NCAA, the janitor, or the milkman

Just win
I dn't think it is about schools/coaches can but kids can't.
OK- some are- they feel the scholarship is enough.

But in the most part- it is what NIL has become.
When my son played- we told him to choose the school and team he really wanted to be on- as we could easily afford his tuition. So- give up football if you want too.
He did 5 years of just crazy schedule- the toll on the body, the emotional scars that also come with it.
A year after he graduation- or around that time- R Hart actualy won a class action NIL against gaming and many kids received 3-5k because their name and likeness were used on Madden.
That was cool as the school gets paid for this stuff, as does the NCAA.
These are the kinds of things NIL really should be for.
Not collectives and Booster shit.
If a school gets money for player NIL- or NCAA gets money for NIL- then there should be a profit share.
It should have stopped there.
Now- Schools and Boosters are just getting together and legally doing what they did for years- some lower level teams that also have deep pockets and crazy boosters- are just buying fun saturdays.

Players should share in profits but it should not be a free agent market.

I dn't think it is about schools/coaches can but kids can't.
OK- some are- they feel the scholarship is enough.

But in the most part- it is what NIL has become.
When my son played- we told him to choose the school and team he really wanted to be on- as we could easily afford his tuition. So- give up football if you want too.
He did 5 years of just crazy schedule- the toll on the body, the emotional scars that also come with it.
A year after he graduation- or around that time- R Hart actualy won a class action NIL against gaming and many kids received 3-5k because their name and likeness were used on Madden.
That was cool as the school gets paid for this stuff, as does the NCAA.
These are the kinds of things NIL really should be for.
Not collectives and Booster shit.
If a school gets money for player NIL- or NCAA gets money for NIL- then there should be a profit share.
It should have stopped there.
Now- Schools and Boosters are just getting together and legally doing what they did for years- some lower level teams that also have deep pockets and crazy boosters- are just buying fun saturdays.

Players should share in profits but it should not be a free agent market.
There needs to be some sort or regulation
Under the table stuff has been going on for decades and will always be part of the equation

I just have a hard time seeing kids not get paid when the coaches are making a ton, the NCAA is killing it, and these are the ones who are doing all the work

If this doesn't get under control soon, it will kill the sport
Sport gets killed, people don't make money
Hence, it will eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later... much sooner) get straightened out

Is that misguided?

As an aside, I do think society puts too much emphasis on bullshit - athletes, musicians, actors and actresses
I dropped rivals, dont go to movies, no fast food...If I am going to just drop 11- 20-50 per month somewhere- it will be in accounts for my grand children.
The reality in my life- I love Rutgers sports- but I am not going to pay for advertising rights on a player if I don't actually have them.

Let's say- I am paying $50 per month on NIL...and I want to use a player image on my website to sell something- does this give me a certain player and or how long I can use their image?

If not- then, call it something else.

Reactions: RUTGERS95
There needs to be some sort or regulation
Under the table stuff has been going on for decades and will always be part of the equation

I just have a hard time seeing kids not get paid when the coaches are making a ton, the NCAA is killing it, and these are the ones who are doing all the work

If this doesn't get under control soon, it will kill the sport
Sport gets killed, people don't make money
Hence, it will eventually (hopefully sooner rather than later... much sooner) get straightened out
sorry to keep quoting you but you are actually bringing up some good points.

agree- all it did was now allow the under the table stuff to be legal.

To the point of kids being paid based on everyone else killing it. I disagree- and that is with our son playing. He agreed to play for his ride...If he could have gotten a little extra for his NIL in the right way- cool- we would have put it into an account for him.
But- to worry about how much a coach is paid- I can't worry if my CEO is paid 500k or 500mil- I agreed to do my job for what I am compensated.

I dropped rivals, dont go to movies, no fast food...If I am going to just drop 11- 20-50 per month somewhere- it will be in accounts for my grand children.
The reality in my life- I love Rutgers sports- but I am not going to pay for advertising rights on a player if I don't actually have them.

Let's say- I am paying $50 per month on NIL...and I want to use a player image on my website to sell something- does this give me a certain player and or how long I can use their image?

I get it
Everyone has different priorities
That's what makes the world great, and why I would never hose someone for not donating
It's a personal decision

sorry to keep quoting you but you are actually bringing up some good points.

agree- all it did was now allow the under the table stuff to be legal.

To the point of kids being paid based on everyone else killing it. I disagree- and that is with our son playing. He agreed to play for his ride...If he could have gotten a little extra for his NIL in the right way- cool- we would have put it into an account for him.
But- to worry about how much a coach is paid- I can't worry if my CEO is paid 500k or 500mil- I agreed to do my job for what I am compensated.
That's true, and I commend him for that and you instilling those values in him
That's the old school way of thinking, and it's the way I was brought up as well

A lot of kids think differently though, especially in this day and age
I don't think there's any one easy answer for all of this - as with most things, when the money gets to a certain point, everyone wants a slice

Is that misguided?

paying for rivals or other items and knowingly paying a kid to play hit some people very differently

Yes, because they are medicore programs getting added to an already terrible conference

Stanford hasn’t been relavent since Luck
SMU since the Pony Express
Cal is just dog shit from top to bottom

Stanford woukd actually have a chance due to their $$ if they actually put forth the effort

SMU, though the 6th most popular school in their own city, certainly has some wealthy donors

Cal is just trash

Yes, because they are medicore programs getting added to an already terrible conference

Stanford hasn’t been relavent since Luck
SMU since the Pony Express
Cal is just dog shit from top to bottom

Stanford woukd actually have a chance due to their $$ if they actually put forth the effort

SMU, though the 6th most popular school in their own city, certainly has some wealthy donors

Cal is just trash
It benefits schools in really crappy areas that happen to have family wealth.
Stanford is interesting- and so is Cal...there is a a lot of wealth there and like us, if winning- there is a lot of interest. If not winning- school becomes the driver, as does the professional teams. They also compete with USC/
UCLA.
Most of the CEO's coming out of these schools- are more similar to us and Ivy's- They are spending 12-16 hours a day to try to build their business. They are not caring or following football.

So many in places- and no offense to Alabama- but a company/dealership/etc- knows that their top client is going to be a Bama fan...and- we are talking crazy fan- the car dealership could charge extra for a car to put a plate cover on it to say Go Tide...

I can't stress- we need Rutgers to really start to market itself- the rest of the world thinks we are Ivy league- the Block R became known during 1.0 - Play this shit up.
Tell me that somehow- one of these medical based organizations could not have benefitted from the Reggie Sutton Story.
How about Colgate/J&J with these huge campuses- find a way to even drive more business with the local push.

The 2nd time was mostly his doing. He left for the nfl and took many assistants with him leading to Flood, Ash and decline. The program was on the verge of great things when he decided to “run away from something rather than to something” for a lot more $ of course. The jobs he accepted were in states with no state income tax (FL & TN). Coincidence?. Schiano is worried about his bank account first and foremost

Last edited:

Right there with you.
The Mrs and I are total misers, and we watch people making a fraction of what we make/have saved spending money like it's water. Buying Starbucks/Dunkin is a waste of time/money, fast food is garbage/poison to us, and we spend our money carefully. We have family members to take care of that need help more than athletes getting a free education, and MSKCC and Tunnels to Towers (provide homes for disabled Vets, families of first responders who died in the line of duty) is where are money will be going in the future.

Sure, some people give to charity and to their alma mater for athletics. We are still trying to figure out how much, if any, we will give back to Rutgers in the future. Given our experience after giving a significant amount in the past, it may not be much or zero. And this has less to do with NIL than just priorities for us as we get older and our earning potential decreases.

The 2nd time was mostly his doing. He left for the nfl and took many assistants with him leading to Flood, Ash and decline. The program was on the verge of great things when he decided to “run away from something rather than to something” for a lot more $ of course. The jobs he accepted were in states with no state income tax (FL & TN). Coincidence?. Schiano is worried about his bank account first and foremost
Oh man- this is such back country thinking- I didn't like GS 1.0 - but the man left for the pinnacle of his business. Run away??? He turned down Miami/Mich - but you can't be where he was- and where it looked like BE was going - and turn down a Fortune 30 HC position...

This take is as stupid as it gets. Over a decade ago

Focus on what you can control. If you can donate $20 or more, great, do it. Is going to help the program. If not, that's okay.

We can't wait on multiple"whales" to give to NIL. It hasn't happened for most of our history but I think it will happen with consistent success on the field. Rich people love to feel like winners and a winning program will attract those individuals too.

I love the idea of Hobbs getting more involved with the business community to help support NIL. Surprise if this isn't already happening. Also agree that there should be staffs focus on this new part of fundraising (NIL) to ensure we attract the best possible athletes to RU.

Oh man- this is such back country thinking- I didn't like GS 1.0 - but the man left for the pinnacle of his business. Run away??? He turned down Miami/Mich - but you can't be where he was- and where it looked like BE was going - and turn down a Fortune 30 HC position...

in all fairness, just 36hrs earlier of him publicly saying he was leaving, he assured the school he was NOT leaving. Now I can't fault him for leaving, only the way he did

I truly fault the school for not having a plan in place to act seeing/hearing that other places were interested in him and nor for devoting the resources to insure continued success

in all fairness, just 36hrs earlier of him publicly saying he was leaving, he assured the school he was NOT leaving. Now I can't fault him for leaving, only the way he did

I truly fault the school for not having a plan in place to act seeing/hearing that other places were interested in him and nor for devoting the resources to insure continued success
I didnt like the how either- not the public statement- they all do that and that is when we know they are leaving- but to leave a handfull of coaches at one of Rutger's most important HS's with no idea of what was going on- that was FU

Maybe I’m different, but I just wanna win.
And I wanna win badly

I think we have untapped potential in football, amongst other sports, and as long as I’m taking care of what I need to take care of in life, I’m going to spend to see Rutgers succeed at a high-level

The feeling of euphoria I get during big wins is very hard to describe, except for the fact that it’s damn near addictive

I didnt like the how either- not the public statement- they all do that and that is when we know they are leaving- but to leave a handfull of coaches at one of Rutger's most important HS's with no idea of what was going on- that was FU
no question about it

our board has a very short memory with all things Greg

Maybe I’m different, but I just wanna win.
And I wanna win badly

I think we have untapped potential in football, amongst other sports, and as long as I’m taking care of what I need to take care of in life, I’m going to spend to see Rutgers succeed at a high-level

The feeling of euphoria I get during big wins is very hard to describe, except for the fact that it’s damn near addictive
I get it

read my earlier post on the school treatment of, former athletes, students and alum, and etc..........

add to that how RU seemingly mishandles and mismanages most things (even an easy hire out of wisc) and it's easy to see why many won't open their wallets. I personally swore I'd never give another dime to football after Greg's comment about support when he was under fire 1.0 (people forget that when he left, a LARGE portion of the fanbase was ok with it as he has a recognizable ceiling and his schtick was getting old).

I try and tell it like it is, many here don't like that as they're pollyanas. Reality is a cruel bitch.....

🤦🏼

Reactions: Knight Shift

Running to the NFL is running away? Holy ****ing shit!

Reactions: Knight Shift
Let’s be honest, GS did run away. The Big East was imploding and nobody knew RU would be in the B1G soon. So he left for the NFL. But really, to blame him for that? Geez.
It's like leaving the corner bank that is going out of business to go to work for Goldman Sachs. But Moose calls it running away? Brilliant!!

Reactions: Eagleton96
Let’s be honest, GS did run away. The Big East was imploding and nobody knew RU would be in the B1G soon. So he left for the NFL. But really, to blame him for that? Geez.

Running away to the NFL? Is that not a promotion and goal for most coaches? Please

Reactions: Eagleton96
I get it

read my earlier post on the school treatment of, former athletes, students and alum, and etc..........

add to that how RU seemingly mishandles and mismanages most things (even an easy hire out of wisc) and it's easy to see why many won't open their wallets. I personally swore I'd never give another dime to football after Greg's comment about support when he was under fire 1.0 (people forget that when he left, a LARGE portion of the fanbase was ok with it as he has a recognizable ceiling and his schtick was getting old).

I try and tell it like it is, many here don't like that as they're pollyanas. Reality is a cruel bitch.....
That’s a good point

I think if we had a track record of historical document success though, it would be a little easier to accept

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT