ADVERTISEMENT

Football Rutgers staves off mistake-prone Washington 21-18 at home

But this was supposed to be our best D. Almost everyone but Max back. Depth at key positions. Lewis and Hamilton have had moments. Rogers has been solid. But not much more. They have taken a step back from last year it seems.

Thank goodness we now have a functioning Offense. Tough to run with 8 in the box regularly but we are loosing up there. I have more confidence in our Offense, which is a 180 from last December.
We lost more than Max. Iton, Jennings and Konga. Mo obviously. Powell just coming back. Bailey just coming back. I think we won't see what this d is capable of for a little bit, but it may not live up to expectations.

Every year in college football is a different deal. Different talents, different personalities. You never know how it's all going to come together. We went from not being able to stop ASU whatsoever in a 2005 bowl game to our dominant D in 2006 that didn't let (albeit a bad) Illinois team cross midfield.

Reactions: BossNJ
We left a lot of points on the table versus VTech too. It happens, that’s football. All that anyone will remember is the W. Let’s take it and move on.

It’s the “Nebraska season” now..😉
Absolutely. Stuff happens and it was an important win. Was only refuting the idea that the stats didn’t depict actual UW dominance bc we got conservative. No, the stats do mirror the relative performance of each team. As they say, UW beat themselves. The win counts just the same.

Reactions: BossNJ
Absolutely. Stuff happens and it was an important win. Was only refuting the idea that the stats didn’t depict actual UW dominance bc we got conservative. No, the stats do mirror the relative performance of each team. As they say, UW beat themselves. The win counts just the same.
Look at the third down and red zone stats. That is where the game was won.

I was there so didn't see TV perspective but Washington got tackled inbounds which should have basically run out the clock since they didn't have timeouts left but the refs missed it and no one got them to replay, allowing them to continue the drive and get a FG try.

That’s been one of, if not the, most inconsistly called penalty since it was introduced. I never know what the refs will call targeting. Both guys in the booth plus the FOX official thought that first one was targeting. But for some reason, the replay official said nope. I’d love to know the reason.

But whatever, the refs being inconsistent is how it goes. They definitely aren’t biased against us.
Two explanations come to mind. 1. They were worried about impacting the game by removing a key player early in the game. 2. Or they're on the take.

I was there so didn't see TV perspective but Washington got tackled inbounds which should have basically run out the clock since they didn't have timeouts left but the refs missed it and no one got them to replay, allowing them to continue the drive and get a FG try.
True, but a bit simplistic. The official should have stopped the clock for the first down, and then immediately signaled that the runner was tackled inbounds and that the clock would be restarted once the chains were reset. Presumably the offense would have seen this signal and gone into hurry up mode, maybe a spike. It might have cost them one play but no more than that.

Two explanations come to mind. 1. They were worried about impacting the game by removing a key player early in the game. 2. Or they're on the take.
I think they simply saw things in the review that made them decide the plays didn’t meet their interpretation of the requirements for targeting and an ejection. They made plenty of other calls against Washington, so it wasn’t bias or being on the take.

I would guess Washington fans think the officials were biased towards us.

We lost more than Max. Iton, Jennings and Konga. Mo obviously. Powell just coming back. Bailey just coming back. I think we won't see what this d is capable of for a little bit, but it may not live up to expectations.

Every year in college football is a different deal. Different talents, different personalities. You never know how it's all going to come together. We went from not being able to stop ASU whatsoever in a 2005 bowl game to our dominant D in 2006 that didn't let (albeit a bad) Illinois team cross midfield.
This.
Plus having Dixon playing hurt and not close to what he was last season. Add in Bailey slowly coming back from his injury the drop off in Defense play is not a surprise.

Reactions: cubuffsdoug

Every year in college football is a different deal. Different talents, different personalities. You never know how it's all going to come together. We went from not being able to stop ASU whatsoever in a 2005 bowl game to our dominant D in 2006 that didn't let (albeit a bad) Illinois team cross midfield
Ray for Iton on

Ray for iton was on paper an even swap or an upgrade. Jennings is a loss, but I thought Walker would be more ready than he is. Angoy and Thompson I thought would be a decent swap for Kongo. The lack of development there is causing a huge issue.

This.
Plus having Dixon playing hurt and not close to what he was last season. Add in Bailey slowly coming back from his injury the drop off in Defense play is not a surprise.
The average poster here hasn't taken that into consideration. We are hurting on defense as several guys are nowhere near 100% and it shows. FYI: I think Ray has done a better job than Iton. Too bad Mo is out for the season. I think Mo and Powell is a better LB combo than Jennings and Powell and that was a great tandem. Konga hurts because he was a key piece to the DL regardless what some say.

I'll say it now, Walker will be replaced by next year.
Wouldn’t be surprised. He missed a few key tackles resulting in big plays this year. Not sure how he had a four star ranking. Maybe just measurables? Was interesting to see Wright at LB towards end of game at key moments.

Last edited:
Yes. Very disappointed with our senior heavy defense. We even have decent DL depth to work with. Something is off with all of them and the Toure answer is BS. The DL alone could be better but I really am questioning the quality of the DE and DT coaches. Harisymiak needs to get this turned around or had of D playcalling to Greg.

RU defense looked a bit undersized.

I learned not to trust the physical stats RU puts out (RU roster had Izien at 5' 10" and combine had him at 5' 8 3/4).

In Greg's presser he was really impressed with Washington's beefy lines

I'll say it now, Walker will be replaced by next year.
I’m actually shocked that Walker hasn’t progressed…he seems to be making the same mistakes. Hopefully Mo returns next season. Need to hit the Portal next season for a LB or hope one the Two 4 * Star LB Recruits : Archie or McClary can step in and play right away. Archie turned down Georgia, Alabama, etc. McClary OSU, USC, Michigan, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT