ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

Herman likely wouldn't have been realistic when we hired Ash, he was the hottest of the hot G5 HCs and while there are quite a few pools of available coaches to downtrodden program like ours that....the hottest G5 HCs of the moment would be a reach as you can see he landed at Texas and there was talk of LSU too in competion too at one time.

The time to get him would have been when the rumors of the whole USF/Flood thing were going around and I did mention him then actually (my personal top name for that year's crop) but I think I got one response from a poster here. No one else even bothered to comment...I think most were on Narduzzi back then. Herman was the OSU OC and would have been available. When the become white hot G5 coaches it's likely too late for a program like ours to snatch them as the bigger fish will be hovering.

Dave Aranda was the name I was high on when we hired Ash and still like him and now I've actually seen him mention being a HC...before I wasn't so sure if NFL DC might have been his dream job. If he's willing to run a spread (was GA under Leach early in his career and he's been around it at Hawaii and Utah State) then I'd still like him. He's proven to be able to do more with less on defense and he's creative....highest paid coordinator currently at LSU. But if you want personality (which I personally don't care about as much as acumen) he's blander than bland just like Paul Chryst but he definitely has an intensity about strategy and schemes.
Julie had no clue how to get it done. She was asking Audi Club members at the game if they would support the effort for a new coach. She was out of her league.

Reactions: RUskoolie
I think that is really the point. We don't have to be Alabama to have fan excitement. We just have to be competitive.

In basketball this year we were 14-17 (7-11), and most fans were pretty excited about the season and looking forward to next year. Even though we lost more than we won, you could show up to every game and think we had a chance to win.

In football, you didn't have that feeling, and thus fans are stopping showing up.
This is it. For Ash to be successful, he has to show improvement leading to real hope on the field. Pikiell did this despite losing 4 straight to close it out.

Reactions: cicero grimes
This is it. For Ash to be successful, he has to show improvement leading to real hope on the field. Pikiell did this despite losing 4 straight to close it out.
That ship has sailed.When you go winless in B10 play,lose to Buffalo and Kansas its too late.A whole additional season and recruiting cycle will now be wasted.
Bye the way its almost May,and Ash has ONE recruit in the class,one..
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2020/big10/football.

Last edited:
Julie had no clue how to get it done. She was asking Audi Club members at the game if they would support the effort for a new coach. She was out of her league.

it was said that Herman was on Hermann's short list but our foolish donors demanded experience..lmfao...look what we ended up with a few years later

The trouble I have with the premise of it not being a great run is that we have no evidence of even a close run to that since RU moved to big time football.

Also the premise that GS would replicate his last run with a new run seems flawed. One is is his enthusiasm, hunger and energy the same as before?

Second, I would assume that he has learned a great deal from the nfl and osu since being here and that he may have improved methods the next time around.

Next, even as of last year he was touted as a great recruiter so I dont see why that would change. With the B10 to sell and not a dying conference of second tier and directional schools, he may blow it up. Or he as a rich middle age man , he may not have the micromanaging (yes a good thing) energy and desire. That's the unknown.

But since we have nothing but speculation about whether he's interested, not or something else, why isn't it equally as speculative that he's recharging his battery as Hobbs reached out to his agent and told him to be ready Dec 1 and not be tied up with the Patriots through Jan or Feb and to get his notebooks in order to hit the ground running.

Schiano would immediately doublefold interest in the program and stop the season ticket loss

This is a fair comment but Iowa consistently wins 8-9 games without playing a wide open offense. They also don’t get 4-5 star players. It can be done but you need true leadership at the HC position.

They're also not in the B1G East. Completely different animal...unfortunately. Plus, our recruiting territory is fertile with the type of recruits that would thrive in an RPO.

Another one of these guys.
All that NFL talent and bowl game wins I watched were mirages.
He’s the only reason this program is in the B1G, if you believe for one second without Brian Leonard, Ray Rice and dozens of other GS recruits didn’t land us here you’re delusional.
NY Market wouldn’t have meant a thing without them.
There’s not a radio or TV media personality in the entire country that didn’t believe GS performed a miracle here...only our own dumb fans think he sucked

C'mon Zap - Not at all what most of the naysayers are suggesting. In fact, most are appreciative of Schiano's hard fought accomplishments @ RU and the foundation he laid for our admittance to the B1G. Time to look forward though, not backwards. Remember how much the board loved Randy? A cautious tale we shouldn't ignore.

Why do some Rutgers fans act entitle? They mock Schiano, yet 99% of the fans have never experienced anything close what Schiano was able to accomplish. When you look at Schiano's BE record and his overall record you have to put it the proper context. Schiano's first half of his career at Rutgers was putting out the "Chicago" fire created by "O'Leary Cow" Shea. He then had to rebuild the program from the bottom up. Once, he started going bowling the perception of the team completely changed. You have to go back to Burns to find a coach who was regularly winning. There are better coaches out there then Schiano, but few mention them as candidates for the Rutgers job. Instead, they continue to take shots at Schiano. The truth is until Rutgers pony up money like the big boys, they will continue to fall short in the coaching ranks.

Why do some Rutgers fans act entitle? They mock Schiano, yet 99% of the fans have never experienced anything close what Schiano was able to accomplish. When you look at Schiano's BE record and his overall record you have to put it the proper context. Schiano's first half of his career at Rutgers was putting out the "Chicago" fire created by "O'Leary Cow" Shea. He then had to rebuild the program from the bottom up. Once, he started going bowling the perception of the team completely changed. You have to go back to Burns to find a coach who was regularly winning. There are better coaches out there then Schiano, but few mention them as candidates for the Rutgers job. Instead, they continue to take shots at Schiano. The truth is until Rutgers pony up money like the big boys, they will continue to fall short in the coaching ranks.
100 %spot on.
You talk to a casual NJ college football fan the conversation goes like this.
Hey, your a Rutgers fan,man they are bad with that new Coach.
Yup,don't look like Ash is the answer.
Don't understand, why didn't they just bring Schiano back?

Last edited:
Reactions: cubuffsdoug
Gotcha, completely agree.

I've tabulated the season ticket sales for the last few years, here they are:

2015: 31,168
2016: 28,478
2017: 23,812
2018: 22,337

I can’t fjnd the 2014 number ...what was that ?

I haven't been able to dig up numbers prior to 2015; wish I could.
Here are 2013 and 2014:

2013: 22,040 (sources below)
2014: 31,016 (source below)

2014 source:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...to_previous_bowls_and_attendance_figures.html

Rutgers, on its ScarletKnights.com website, also cited gaudy season-ticket sales which couldn't be verified by NJ Advance Media. Rutgers reported a 41 percent increase in season-ticket sales, from 22,040 last season to 31,016 this fall.

2013 source:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2015/02/exclusive_rutgers_football_earned_approximately_2.html

Rutgers made just over $1 million per home game in 2013. Nearly 326,000 tickets were distributed, producing an average home attendance of 46,549, and the school reported 22,040 season tickets sold.

Here are 2013 and 2014:

2013: 22,040 (sources below)
2014: 31,016 (source below)

2014 source:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...to_previous_bowls_and_attendance_figures.html

Rutgers, on its ScarletKnights.com website, also cited gaudy season-ticket sales which couldn't be verified by NJ Advance Media. Rutgers reported a 41 percent increase in season-ticket sales, from 22,040 last season to 31,016 this fall.

2013 source:
https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/2015/02/exclusive_rutgers_football_earned_approximately_2.html

Rutgers made just over $1 million per home game in 2013. Nearly 326,000 tickets were distributed, producing an average home attendance of 46,549, and the school reported 22,040 season tickets sold.

Thanks. It looks like Rutgers saw a big jump in season ticket sales with entry into the Big Ten in 2014. But I wonder if 2013 was the previous baseline, or a low number due to us being in the AAC. It would be interesting to also see 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 numbers to see what the pre-B1G (and pre-Flood) trend was like.

Reactions: Leonard23
Thanks. It looks like Rutgers saw a big jump in season ticket sales with entry into the Big Ten in 2014. But I wonder if 2013 was the previous baseline, or a low number due to us being in the AAC. It would be interesting to also see 2009, 2010, 2011, and 2012 numbers to see what the pre-B1G (and pre-Flood) trend was like.

IIRC Schiano had us in the low 20’s or so after the Stadium expansion. The ‘13 number was likely a continuation of that. You’d probably see the biggest jumps for ‘07, ‘09 and ‘14. I think we’re going to end up at around 15-16k season tickets sold this year (maybe 14k+). I think the RU brass has really underestimated how upset a large number of fans really are, especially after seeing significant growth the previous decade.

Joe P.

Reactions: NotInRHouse

First off, I think Schiano would immediately improve fan enthusiasm, increase attendance, and improve recruiting - and that he'd be far and away better than what we have now.

But you can't say something like "put it in proper context" and then ignore the context.

Schiano played in two completely different Big East conferences during his time at Rutgers. He struggled mightily in one but built up our infrastructure and improved recruiting to be at least competitive.... and then he found success in the new iteration of the Big East that followed.

He did a great job building the Rutgers brand, found ways to improve our roster by taking second-tier guys out of Florida, gave us a defensive identity, and "primed the pump" as it were.... and then essentially won the lottery when the Big East of 2001-2004 essentially collapsed around him.

They say luck is just preparation meeting opportunity.... and that was absolutely true in Schiano's case. His preparation positioned Rutgers to capitalize on the upheaval of the conference and rise to the top. But if events totally outside Schiano's control never happened, then our rise would have similarly never happened.

Miami and VTech left and UConn was added in 2004... BC and Temple left and USF/Ville/Cincy were added in 2005.... Pitt lost Harris to Stanford and hired Wanny (2005)... Cuse fired Pasqualoni and hired Robinson, which let Rice/Greene fall into our lap (2005)... bowl eligibility rules were changed in 2005 to allow an FCS game every year instead of just once every four...

All of those things contributed to Rutgers turning the corner in 2005-2006, as much as Schiano's program building and schemes. Expecting Schiano to come in in 2020 and do what he did from 2001-2006 isn't realistic, because you can't bank on those other factors to open the door in a similar way.

Reactions: TRU2RU
First off, I think Schiano would immediately improve fan enthusiasm, increase attendance, and improve recruiting - and that he'd be far and away better than what we have now.

But you can't say something like "put it in proper context" and then ignore the context.

Schiano played in two completely different Big East conferences during his time at Rutgers. He struggled mightily in one but built up our infrastructure and improved recruiting to be at least competitive.... and then he found success in the new iteration of the Big East that followed.

He did a great job building the Rutgers brand, found ways to improve our roster by taking second-tier guys out of Florida, gave us a defensive identity, and "primed the pump" as it were.... and then essentially won the lottery when the Big East of 2001-2004 essentially collapsed around him.

They say luck is just preparation meeting opportunity.... and that was absolutely true in Schiano's case. His preparation positioned Rutgers to capitalize on the upheaval of the conference and rise to the top. But if events totally outside Schiano's control never happened, then our rise would have similarly never happened.

Miami and VTech left and UConn was added in 2004... BC and Temple left and USF/Ville/Cincy were added in 2005.... Pitt lost Harris to Stanford and hired Wanny (2005)... Cuse fired Pasqualoni and hired Robinson, which let Rice/Greene fall into our lap (2005)... bowl eligibility rules were changed in 2005 to allow an FCS game every year instead of just once every four...

All of those things contributed to Rutgers turning the corner in 2005-2006, as much as Schiano's program building and schemes. Expecting Schiano to come in in 2020 and do what he did from 2001-2006 isn't realistic, because you can't bank on those other factors to open the door in a similar way.
Nobody is counting on the other programs to crumble at same perfect storm as prior. Schiano would restore something that is lacking from the football program big time right now.
Credibility.

Nobody is counting on the other programs to crumble at same perfect storm as prior. Schiano would restore something that is lacking from the football program big time right now.
Credibility.

I agree - he'd stanch the bleeding and get the patient stable and on the road to recovery, along many different axes. Can't expect him to have close to the success he had during his last stint here - but getting us back to competitive and recapturing fan interest would be a big step from where we are now.

The trouble I have with the premise of it not being a great run is that we have no evidence of even a close run to that since RU moved to big time football.

I guess it depends on if you're grading RU against RU only or RU against every other program in the country. For RU, it was a great run. For any other P5 program, it was not. For a good chunk of schools just below P5 it was not.

I think fans are sick of hearing that we have to accept meh results as wonderful because we're RU fans.

Yes, no one else at RU has come close to replicating Schiano results. OTOH, we've had in place decent facilities and support for exactly 3 coaches, and one of them was such a stretch of a hire that he would not have been hired to be a HC at any other school in the country, likely wouldn't have even gotten an interview. That's not exactly a huge list of people who have failed. It's not long enough that I'm willing to say that what Schiano did is so extraordinary that we have to accept that as our ceiling.

Another one of these guys.
All that NFL talent and bowl game wins I watched were mirages.
He’s the only reason this program is in the B1G, if you believe for one second without Brian Leonard, Ray Rice and dozens of other GS recruits didn’t land us here you’re delusional.
NY Market wouldn’t have meant a thing without them.
There’s not a radio or TV media personality in the entire country that didn’t believe GS performed a miracle here...only our own dumb fans think he sucked

Someone has serious reading comprehension problems....never said Schiano sucked, but if you or anyone else thinks his record at RU makes him a SUPERSTAR Coach & is the only coach that can turn around RU football, then there is no need to talk further, since you are clueless. Schiano never had a top recruiting class in the Big East conference, most were undersized or second tier kids who worked their butts off, he & his staff developed the players into potential NFL players. Not sure that kind of recruiting would work in the B1G. Schiano also was one of the highest paid coaches in the country, but RU will never again pay top 20 money for a coach, nor should they, for a coach who could no win one league championship in 11 years. Schiano also demanded all the money RU raised had to go directly to the football program, which starved all the other programs, this will not happen anymore.
Schiano was one small piece to getting RU into the B1G, Bob Muchahy was much more important with the stadium expansion, the B1G reached out to RU in the 70's with interest & laid out what RU needed to do to get an invite, but the old guard wanted RU aligned with Princeton & looked at athletics more as a hobby then as a big business. The Big Ten Network was the biggest help in getting RU into the B1G, since viewers & advertising money is king & makes everyone rich.

Reactions: RUChoppin
I would also like to see the 2011 and 2012 numbers. Don't forget, in 2013 we were playing, well, teams that most people didn't even care about. And our conference situation was basically a holding action.
  • Fresno State
  • Norfolk State
  • Eastern Michigan
  • SMU
  • Houston
  • UCF
  • USF
  • Arkansas

Reactions: MoobyCow
Miami and VTech left and UConn was added in 2004... BC and Temple left and USF/Ville/Cincy were added in 2005.... Pitt lost Harris to Stanford and hired Wanny (2005)... Cuse fired Pasqualoni and hired Robinson, which let Rice/Greene fall into our lap (2005)...

Just looking at those teams before and after transition....
In 2001-04 we were 3-20 vs. BC (0-4), Pitt w/ Harris (0-4), Miami (0-3), VTech (0-3), UConn (0-1), Cuse w/ Pasqualoni (1-3), and Temple (2-2)

In 2005-08 we were 17-7 vs. Pitt w/ Wanny (4-0), Cuse w/Robinson (4-0), USF (3-1), UConn (3-1), Ville (2-2), Cincy (1-3)

Rutgers fans vastly over estimate how well rehiring Schiano would be received.

Tampa Bay, the failed UT hire, his tenure at OSU as a DC, quitting the Patriots after a month.

Dude is done, let it go. He would bring little excitement to Rutgers outside of some disillusioned former season ticket holders.

Tampa Bay, the failed UT hire, his tenure at OSU as a DC, quitting the Patriots after a month.

Dude is done, let it go. He would bring little excitement to Rutgers outside of some disillusioned former season ticket holders.
I'm not going to pretend to have any idea how he would be received, I'm awful at judging that kind of thing. My concern is that he just doesn't appear to have the fire in his belly anymore, and even if he did, he has enough big flaws that I don't know why you wouldn't just roll the dice with someone else instead.

I'm not going to pretend to have any idea how he would be received, I'm awful at judging that kind of thing. My concern is that he just doesn't appear to have the fire in his belly anymore, and even if he did, he has enough big flaws that I don't know why you wouldn't just roll the dice with someone else instead.

He became a joke during his tenure at Tampa, tried to rehabilitate his image before taking the OSU DC job, became the DC at OSU and did so bad of a job that he was criticized routinely by the national media, and then quit New England after a month.

Why would a recruit be excited by him? Why would the average fan be excited?

And you're right with the other part of your post, it also seems like he just doesn't want to do it anymore. Let the guy go.

I agree - he'd stanch the bleeding and get the patient stable and on the road to recovery, along many different axes. Can't expect him to have close to the success he had during his last stint here - but getting us back to competitive and recapturing fan interest would be a big step from where we are now.
You get it, but a lot fans don't. Rutgers missed an opportunity not to repeat the Shea experiment. Instead Rutgers triple down the stakes by first hiring Flood, then Ash and compounding the situation by keeping Ash. I'm not saying Rutgers had to rehire Schiano, but he did set the bar for what is possible at Rutgers. So any future coach had exceed those standards. Right now Rutgers is making Terry Shea look like Vince Lombardi.

How well it was received here? If Schiano was hired next week, this board would light up as if RU was ranked #1 heading into the B1G Championship Game against #2 Wisconsin or Nebraska where many would believe we'd make the playoffs with a loss. I believe we'd see a boost in enthusiasm and ticket sales, but it would likely be a short term fix. Remember when some people were telling us early in the season how well the Bill Snyder reboot and Bobby Petrino reboot were doing at K-State and Louisville when some pointed out the second time doesn't pan out? Does anyone remember Schiano making a joke about how hot his seat was at the Big East Media Day prior to the 2005 season? I think RU has a similar type of rebuild here now (there is more talent on the roster than in his first time here, but a much larger hill to climb to be competitive in the conference).

How well it was received nationally? It would be dismissed very easily. Reboots don't work well and ESPN would make some snide comment about Rutgers aiming to recapture their glory days of mediocrity.

Reactions: Wolv RU and BlockR
Instead Rutgers triple down the stakes by first hiring Flood, then Ash and compounding the situation by keeping Ash.
Sadly that move was driven by the BOG and Admin refusing to pay anywhere near a competitive salary. Drunkie Dick McCormick was a lame duck as pres, so he wasn't gonna fight for anything. Pernetti was over a barrel in terms of hiring anyone given the putrid salary scale dictated to him.

Reactions: RUskoolie

Agree. Remember when Phil Jackson signed on with the Knicks after all the rings he earned in Chicago and LA? How did that one work out for Knick’s fans?

And Greg Schiano is no Phil Jackson, especially after he jumped ship on the Pats in less than 60 days. Damaged goods at this point.

Agree. Remember when Phil Jackson signed on with the Knicks after all the rings he earned in Chicago and LA? How did that one work out for Knick’s fans?

And Greg Schiano is no Phil Jackson, especially after he jumped ship on the Pats in less than 60 days. Damaged goods at this point.

Remember when Belichick jumped ship on the Jets? And that was after Cleveland fired him.

Reactions: cicero grimes

IIRC Schiano had us in the low 20’s or so after the Stadium expansion. The ‘13 number was likely a continuation of that. You’d probably see the biggest jumps for ‘07, ‘09 and ‘14. I think we’re going to end up at around 15-16k season tickets sold this year (maybe 14k+). I think the RU brass has really underestimated how upset a large number of fans really are, especially after seeing significant growth the previous decade.

Joe P.

Adding 2007-09 (can't find 2010-12):

2007: 27,000
2008: ~26,700
2009: ~30,000
2010: ?
2011: ?
2012: ?
2013: 22,040
2014: 31,016

2007 source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/26/sports/ncaafootball/26rutgers.html

For the 2007 season (2 yrs pre-expansion), we sold 27,000 season tickets and had ~6,000 on the wait list. Also mentioned a low if 8,000 season tickets at some point (guessing late 90s and early 00s).

2008 source:
http://www.sportstwo.com/threads/ru...newal-rate-on-football-season-tickets.114992/

For the 2008 season, we had a 99% season ticket renewal rate and the wait list swelled to 11,241, so let's go with 26,700 for 2008.

2009 source:
http://blogs.mycentraljersey.com/ru...column-fans-filling-expanded-rutgers-stadium/

"Upon expansion, though, only 3,000 actually signed up."

Reactions: ATIOH and JoeRU0304
The program is a total joke at this point (as much as I support the players and want them to do well). Of course, it would be great if we could find another coach who could stop the bleeding, restore pride in the program, win some games, and then win big. But, I think we're so far down now that there's very likely no single coach out there who can do all of that. We are likely two hires away from enjoying any real success. The next coach will be tasked with stabilizing the program and restoring some pride. As for the big wins, if they ever come, it will probably be the coach hired after the next guy.

So, yes, I would take Schaino back now even with his flaws because I know for a fact that he can handle the stability/pride task even if it meant that he never won big here.

You get it, but a lot fans don't. Rutgers missed an opportunity not to repeat the Shea experiment. Instead Rutgers triple down the stakes by first hiring Flood, then Ash and compounding the situation by keeping Ash. I'm not saying Rutgers had to rehire Schiano, but he did set the bar for what is possible at Rutgers. So any future coach had exceed those standards. Right now Rutgers is making Terry Shea look like Vince Lombardi.

Sadly that move was driven by the BOG and Admin refusing to pay anywhere near a competitive salary. Drunkie Dick McCormick was a lame duck as pres, so he wasn't gonna fight for anything. Pernetti was over a barrel in terms of hiring anyone given the putrid salary scale dictated to him.
BOGs has always been the problem, and I've been posting that here for over a decade. They don't want to spend $ to win and have handcuffed every AD to use a ski mask and gun and settle on their 10th choice when hiring coaches. Well, this is what you get.

With respect, I think you are re-writing history. Schiano left very suddenly at a time when recruits could still back out. So the idea was to hire a coach who could keep the class intact, and that was Flood. Thanks to Schiano's timing, we just didn't have the time for an extensive search. Of course, it didn't hurt that we could get Flood for relatively little money, but I don't think that was decisive.

With respect, I think you are re-writing history. Schiano left very suddenly at a time when recruits could still back out. So the idea was to hire a coach who could keep the class intact, and that was Flood. Thanks to Schiano's timing, we just didn't have the time for an extensive search. Of course, it didn't hurt that we could get Flood for relatively little money, but I don't think that was decisive.

That always felt like a bit of a way to sell the hire to everyone, rather than the driving force. After all he was all ready to go in another direction, but it fell through.

Flood was not the first choice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT