ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers taking HUGE hit in Football Ticket revenue Sarge article Details.

This is according to two of his closest friends that he played College football with.
I asked because I heard a different story from people who are close to him too. There are so many individuals rushing to be the first to report stories I sometimes question things. I don't know what to make of this situation.

This is a fair comment but Iowa consistently wins 8-9 games without playing a wide open offense. They also don’t get 4-5 star players. It can be done but you need true leadership at the HC position.

To be fair, Iowa also has a significantly easier conference schedule.

Since 2014 (5 years) -
1-0 vs OSU
0-3 vs PSU
0-1 vs MSU (CG)
Haven’t played Michigan at all.

Over same years they are 1-4 vs. Wisconsin and 4-1 vs. Nebraska.

Alternatively, Rutgers has played those teams a combined 20 times plus played each of Wisc and Nebb3 years out of 5.

I asked because I heard a different story from people who are close to him too. There are so many individuals rushing to be the first to report stories I sometimes question things. I don't know what to make of this situation.

He wasn't interested but did use some of his people to feign interest in the Rutgers and UCF jobs to try and get him the Miami job.

You shouldn't count his first few seasons, in which he was building a program that was a perennial bottom-feeder. Starting in 2005, Schiano was 25-24 in the BE Conference. I don't know that that qualifies for "superstar" status, but it isn't as dismal as the picture you painted.
Schiano took over a program that had gone 4-31 over 5 seasons in the Big East.

Herman was hired at Houston the year before Ash was hired here.

Rumor has it he was one of Julie's targets for after the 2014 season if Flood was to be fired then.

Julie just needed more time as the RU AD. Ha, that one gave me a chuckle!

Last edited:
what feedback did you get on the past and current Schiano outlook?
I'm pretty sure Gregg Brown is still a Schiano guy.

1) From where season ticket sales were in 2015 to where they are now, Ash hasn't just cost RU $2.5 mill/yr with his salary, he's effectively cost us at least an additional $5-6 million/year when you account for the amount of lost ticket revenue.

Get me Jason Candle and call it a day

Reactions: MoobyCow and BlockR
1) From where season ticket sales were in 2015 to where they are now, Ash hasn't just cost RU $2.5 mill/yr with his salary, he's effectively cost us at least an additional $5-6 million/year when you account for the amount of lost ticket revenue.

Get me Jason Candle and call it a day
no thanks to another Ohio guy.
Seen that movie.

Reactions: RUskoolie
Schiano took over a program that had gone 4-31 over 5 seasons in the Big East.
Schiano was 3 wins & 24 losses in his first four years in the Big East, not much different then Coach Shea, he was helped after his second year when Miami, VT & BC left the conference.

he was helped after his second year when Miami, VT & BC left the conference.

Yeah, he wasn't. In the years after those teams left UL, USF & Cincy were better/equal teams. He was 'helped' because the team got a ****ton better, including lots and lots of guys with nice careers in the NFL.

I'm not all aboard the Schiano train (I don't think he'd be a good hire), but for the life of me I can't ever understand why people try to minimize what he did using bad arguments.

Last edited:
Julie Hermann: the 'we did it' hire,just to check a PC box,when she had known red flags in her background.
Mike Rice Bob Barchi : disaster. Folding and playing the blame game after Pernetti suspended RICE and had an hired outside company review the discipline and course of action. Mismangement again and cave to political pressure..
Pat Hobbs :was a Christie 'appointment' after the Rice/Barchi Hermann fiasco. Hobbs had/has ZERO background in running a football program.
And today ,this is the mess you have thanks to political garbage.

I am thinking it is all related... the politics runs deep.

Prior to GS's success.. Rutgers was small bananas.

But the $100M expansion of the stadium.. that opened some eyes in the ranks of the political machine in this state. Rutgers Football and Rutgers sports represented a new "pocket" that the politicians did not have their hands deep into. So the attacks came soon afterward... how could someone like Bob Mulcahy spend that much money without asking the politicians who should get the contracts?

So he got attacked.

We then saw repeated efforts to wrestle control of the university itself away from the non-political Board of Trustees. Time and time again we saw different plans to do that. McGreevy wanted a chancellor in Trenton over all state schools. Norcorss wanted to wrestle away Camden over to Rowan.. and an oversized portion of Rutgers budget with it. Several times we saw efforts to adjust the number of polticial appointees on the oG and lessen the power of the Board of Trustees or eliminate it outright.

They did successfully get a political appointee into some kind of athletic budget oversight position.. and now the AD is a political appointee. I doubt we shall ever see the Board of Trustees hire a non-political AD ever again.

You shouldn't count his first few seasons, in which he was building a program that was a perennial bottom-feeder. Starting in 2005, Schiano was 25-24 in the BE Conference. I don't know that that qualifies for "superstar" status, but it isn't as dismal as the picture you painted.
by our standards and the facts that he got us ranked multiple times, a drop away from a BCS game, and that his final class included most of the top NJ recruits (including Barkley who defected) before he left for an NFL head coaching gig, makes him pretty much a rock star here... he basically was our Osborne, Paterno, Bowden based on our program's history before and after him.

Reactions: RUaMoose
apples and oranges. Candle has been a successful head coach and is well respected for his offensive mind, he's very matt campbell like
And Candle has successfully recruited the Big Ten geographic footprint, as well as Florida and Alabama. Even has a long snapper from Metuchen NJ. These areas represented on Toledo roster: Ohio, Florida, Alabama, NJ, VA, CA, PA, WI, WV, MI, GA, NC, IN, KY, IL, NV, NY, Australia. Impressive.

https://utrockets.com/roster.aspx?roster=242&path=football

Yeah, he wasn't. In the years after those teams left UL, USF & Cincy were better/equal teams. He was 'helped' because the team got a ****ton better, including lots and lots of guys with nice careers in the NFL.

I'm not all aboard the Schiano train (I don't think he'd be a good hire), but for the life of me I can't ever understand why people try to minimize what he did using bad arguments.

Not minimizing anything, you are what your record is, Schiano made RU into a respectable team in an average conference, he never won a conference championship nor ever got his team to a major bowl game, hardly the makings of a superstar coach!

Reactions: zazoo2002
Not minimizing anything, you are what your record is, Schiano made RU into a respectable team in an average conference, he never won a conference championship nor ever got his team to a major bowl game, hardly the makings of a superstar coach!
Yeah, let's just skip over the entire content of what I replied to and change the subject to something I didn't mention.

he was helped after his second year when Miami, VT & BC left the conference

Facts be damned I suppose. Miami and VT were in the conference until 2003, so GS-coached teams played both of them 3 times (2001,02,03). BC left another year later so they played 4 times. I was at the last game up in Chestnut Hill in 2004. Temple also dropped off the schedule, with a few wins likely to come against them, which seems to be conveniently overlooked.

To reiterate Mooby's point, GS wasn't particularly successful against UL-UC-USF in 7 years (2005-2011) going for a combined record of 10-11 in 21 games. That very well could be within a couple games of how he would've fared against UM-VT-BC during those years. Say 3 games and he would have been a disappointing 7-14. An average of 1-2 each season. In 2006 alone he may have beaten all 3, but give a WTF loss (say BC) and it would be 2-1 instead, which coincidentally enough is what really happened, i.e. Cincinnati, the week after the Louisville win.

Yes, pretty much everyone agrees he was NOT a superstar as head coach of Rutgers.

Money will only be an issue when we need to retain amd reward successful coaches.

Until then "we can't win because we have no money" is an excuse.
Teams all around the country win or are alot more competative consistently across multiple coaches changes.

It might be an issue right now when we are looking to replace 1 or 2 assistant basketball coaches.

issue is 2 fold....
1. performance of the assistant coach looking to hire
2. demonstration to head coach that RU is a place to win

perception -perception.
Might not have been a superstar HC , but he did build a program that its fans were proud of and were proud enough to start filling the stands and make expanding Rutgers Stadium possible,

Your right to point out he never won a BE title
or brought RU FB to a major bowl, in a watered down conference ( to many RU fans).
Louisville was considered a good football program South Florida usually was ranked part of season and UConn had it's supporters ( but only in the BE) Cinn was a fairly good program, but couldn't be considered an elite one .
So losing VT & Miami starting in 2005 was a big hit for the BE, BC not so much except the reputation it seemed to have.

But he did raise Rutgers football fans expectations not only to expect that from him, but demand it and criticize him for failing to do so.
Schiano's overall RU W-L record isn't nothing to brag about, but take the first 3 building years out and even with the watered down competition, not so bad and a reason why some feel with his building RU into a respectable program the number of minor bowl games he brought Rutgers to and the state of Rutgers football now, no wonder many RU FB fans want him back and seem to think he's the Vince Lombardi of Rutgers

As for me, bring in a hot mid major HC that succeeded fabulously at that level ( that's a good recruiter as well) and forget about Greg, unless you only want him for building up the program and replace him after 4 years. Which would be foolish when a successful mid major HC might do the same and keep RU FB on an upward path.
Schiano seemed to hit a wall after building a fairly good program and that's why many RU fans don't want to see him back .

I love what Greg did, but by the time he left, felt he couldn't bring RU to the next level and it was best for him to go.

25-24? I take your world for it, it actually seemed better . Maybe all the recent losing has made it seem better .

25-24? I take your world for it, it actually seemed better . Maybe all the recent losing has made it seem better .
2005: 4-3
2006: 5-2
2007: 3-4
2008: 5-2
2009: 3-4
2010: 1-6
2011: 4-3

It was pretty damn pedestrian. 2005-6 were the only back to back winning conference seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: TRU2RU
2005: 4-3
2006: 5-2
2007: 3-4
2008: 5-2
2009: 3-4
2010: 1-6
2011: 4-3

It was pretty damn pedestrian. 2005-6 were the only back to back winning conference seasons in conf.

Winning season in conference? What is that you speak of?

Uh, how about the level of caring or excitement?

Feel the same way about an upcoming season as you did 06-11? Any other time in RU history where RU fball was as nationally relevant and had higher attendance?

Feel the same way about an upcoming season as you did 06-11? Any other time in RU history where RU fball was as nationally relevant and had higher attendance?
I mean, I didn't come anywhere near arguing that Schiano wasn't better than what we have now, so I don't see how these questions are relevant. Schiano resurrected this program and had one magical season. His level of success here now would be more than welcome.

I have always argued that RU can be a great place with even modest success and what Schiano did here was modest success by almost any measure. Better than anyone else at RU, but that is a bar that is so low it is ridiculous. Give me what happened at Cincy or UL during those years and I'll say that is great coaching. Give me no conf championships and a .500 conf and I'm going to say that it was fun, and I'd take it again, but it wasn't a great run.

I think that is really the point. We don't have to be Alabama to have fan excitement. We just have to be competitive.

In basketball this year we were 14-17 (7-11), and most fans were pretty excited about the season and looking forward to next year. Even though we lost more than we won, you could show up to every game and think we had a chance to win.

In football, you didn't have that feeling, and thus fans are stopping showing up.

apples and oranges. Candle has been a successful head coach and is well respected for his offensive mind, he's very matt campbell like
from Ohio with zero ties to NJ or B10.Or power 5.

from Ohio with zero ties to NJ or B10.Or power 5.
we'd be lucky to land candle, he's headed for greener pastures. He's gonna be one of the most sought after coaches after this season, I don't think we could land him even if we wanted to any way.

The trouble I have with the premise of it not being a great run is that we have no evidence of even a close run to that since RU moved to big time football.

Also the premise that GS would replicate his last run with a new run seems flawed. One is is his enthusiasm, hunger and energy the same as before?

Second, I would assume that he has learned a great deal from the nfl and osu since being here and that he may have improved methods the next time around.

Next, even as of last year he was touted as a great recruiter so I dont see why that would change. With the B10 to sell and not a dying conference of second tier and directional schools, he may blow it up. Or he as a rich middle age man , he may not have the micromanaging (yes a good thing) energy and desire. That's the unknown.

But since we have nothing but speculation about whether he's interested, not or something else, why isn't it equally as speculative that he's recharging his battery as Hobbs reached out to his agent and told him to be ready Dec 1 and not be tied up with the Patriots through Jan or Feb and to get his notebooks in order to hit the ground running.

Reactions: Wolv RU
Another one of these guys.
All that NFL talent and bowl game wins I watched were mirages.
He’s the only reason this program is in the B1G, if you believe for one second without Brian Leonard, Ray Rice and dozens of other GS recruits didn’t land us here you’re delusional.
NY Market wouldn’t have meant a thing without them.
There’s not a radio or TV media personality in the entire country that didn’t believe GS performed a miracle here...only our own dumb fans think he sucked

Last edited:
I have posted this years ago, but figure it worth retelling

when RU was hiring Ash, Tom Herman was in the market for hiring also...both worked at Ohio state, I think it was...

I went over to the Ohio state board and more than one of their fans thought that Ash was the bigger loss for them..... possibly he had more going for him when working there., fans thinking he was the better of the two

Herman immediately got Houston off the ground, started to move the program more than anybody ever did for RU......

Houston raised his pay as soon as they could, but they could not keep him...
Herman likely wouldn't have been realistic when we hired Ash, he was the hottest of the hot G5 HCs and while there are quite a few pools of available coaches to downtrodden program like ours that....the hottest G5 HCs of the moment would be a reach as you can see he landed at Texas and there was talk of LSU too in competion too at one time.

The time to get him would have been when the rumors of the whole USF/Flood thing were going around and I did mention him then actually (my personal top name for that year's crop) but I think I got one response from a poster here. No one else even bothered to comment...I think most were on Narduzzi back then. Herman was the OSU OC and would have been available. When the become white hot G5 coaches it's likely too late for a program like ours to snatch them as the bigger fish will be hovering.

Dave Aranda was the name I was high on when we hired Ash and still like him and now I've actually seen him mention being a HC...before I wasn't so sure if NFL DC might have been his dream job. If he's willing to run a spread (was GA under Leach early in his career and he's been around it at Hawaii and Utah State) then I'd still like him. He's proven to be able to do more with less on defense and he's creative....highest paid coordinator currently at LSU. But if you want personality (which I personally don't care about as much as acumen) he's blander than bland just like Paul Chryst but he definitely has an intensity about strategy and schemes.

I believe Candle/Campbell and Alex Grinch all went to Mount Union together and were quite successful. If Grinch can improve the OU defense I'd like him too and he's got a ton of offensive connections in his background from his uncle Gary Pinkel to Leach to Campbell/Candle to Ryan Day/Kevin Wilson and now Lincoln Riley so I feel confident he wouldn't be confused or lack the connections to create a strong offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_0k9zlfz6lz9oy
we'd be lucky to land candle, he's headed for greener pastures. He's gonna be one of the most sought after coaches after this season, I don't think we could land him even if we wanted to any way.
I don't know about that maybe maybe not depends on how the year goes...I'm not sure he's the hottest of the hot G5 coaches. For next year assuming things go like they have been for Littrell (a name I like and Leach tree) and Norvell will likely continue to be hot names. Mind you there are so many opening so if Candle does well he could get one too. I kind of want to see him put more distance between Campbell's tenure and his and see if he can keep it up looked like a drop in year 3 from the first two.

To be fair, Iowa also has a significantly easier conference schedule.

Since 2014 (5 years) -
1-0 vs OSU
0-3 vs PSU
0-1 vs MSU (CG)
Haven’t played Michigan at all.

Over same years they are 1-4 vs. Wisconsin and 4-1 vs. Nebraska.

Alternatively, Rutgers has played those teams a combined 20 times plus played each of Wisc and Nebb3 years out of 5.
I’d also add that Iowa in general is a higher status program than ours like Wisconsin and MSU. That’s about as far down the college totem pole you go to find program running that type of offense with some success. You won’t find programs like us or in the G5 having success with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT