ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers v. Va Tech Entrance-The Standard

Am I going to get banned if I just shrug & say "whatever"? I love Metallica, I love college football, Enter Sandman was a huge part of my life...back in middle school. It's older than Marty McFly going back to 1955. Nostalgia factor is way up there, but I mean...

Am I going to get banned if I just shrug & say "whatever"? I love Metallica, I love college football, Enter Sandman was a huge part of my life...back in middle school. It's older than Marty McFly going back to 1955. Nostalgia factor is way up there, but I mean...
Thank you. Yawn. What’s the big deal here? Everyone on this board has been building up the intimidating entrance for weeks. And our team didn’t give a crap.

truth fight you GIF by Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Ha, ha. Not exactly. I think the theme is when you play at Lane Stadium, it will be a nightmare. Perfect entry song.
Unfortunately for the older fans, we would be relegated to a rap or hip hop song, but if it was a good one like Bring Em Out, I would be up for that too. Just something related to the start of a game or how difficult a place a stadium is to play.

Just wondering, why did you post the same exact video I posted to start the thread?

Thank you. Yawn. What’s the big deal here? Everyone on this board has been building up the intimidating entrance for weeks. And our team didn’t give a crap.
Agreed. Seems cool if you are there and awesome at night, but these videos seem kind of blah. And I am a big fan of how they keep it simple.

Reactions: RUPete
Here's another hot take: the "3rd down hip-hop song" our in-game producer has been working into regular rotation the board regulars are hating on is probably the biggest hype-up song to Millennials and Z's and it was released in 2000.

"Ante Up" by M.O.P. and Funkmaster Flex, remixed by Busta Rhymes. It makes me want to run through a wall.

Heck, if we hyped up & came out to the trumpets of "Narco" by Blasterjaxx & Timmy Trumpet the students & Mets fans might start throwing hands like drunken vikings.

Here's another hot take: the "3rd down hip-hop song" our in-game producer has been working into regular rotation the board regulars are hating on is probably the biggest hype-up song to Millennials and Z's and it was released in 2000.

"Ante Up" by M.O.P. and Funkmaster Flex, remixed by Busta Rhymes. It makes me want to run through a wall.

Heck, if we hyped up & came out to the trumpets of "Narco" by Blasterjaxx & Timmy Trumpet the students & Mets fans might start throwing hands like drunken vikings.
Hate to bust balls and it's a pet peeve- only hip-hop artists, dumb Millenials and Z, and old people trying act cool say "hate on." It is one of the dumbest things to invade the daily lexicon. IMO, "Ante Up sounds lame to me. Puts me to sleep. But opinions vary.

Really don't understand what was wrong with the Knight Pulse. Greg was introduced at Jersey Mike's to it, crowd went wild.

Reactions: GoRU76 and RC1978
I like Greg bringing them out in the middle of it too.
On the other hand- there is also something about having your team on the sideline and let them jump up and down too and I would have them pointing to VT coming out and just laughing and getting their own energy from it.,,

It was pretty awesome to see and hear it in person.

I’ve been to about 20 away games and this was easily the coolest tradition, up there with the Iowa “wave”.

Last edited:
I would love for us to have something playing until they get to the Tunnel Exit: Still like “Bring ‘Em Out” then- stop the music and have a full stadium with a great coordinated Rrrrr Uuuu with the correct arm movements from opposite sides of the field.

Reactions: MrsScrew
I posted in another thread somewhere, but I think there are a lot of great songs as options for stadium entrance and third downs that Rutgers could use. It’s really whatever gets the players amped that matters. Either way two that I always thought of being good.

Entrance…

3rd Down…. The “rally around the family” portion repeating a few times.

Thanks for the posting their entrance.

How was their exit? :)
Off to never never land. That was not really the point though.
The entrance is not so much for the team, but for the fans. The fan experience at Lane Stadium was head and shoulders above the Rutgers fan experience. There is a whole thread on our fans gushing about the tailgating, the entry procedures, concessions prices, tailgating, parking, traffic flow, etc. The one big minus was a lack of mobile phone signal and wireless.

Until the guy in charge of the game day production (PJ Mullen) learns to back off on the constant barrage of tired noise on nearly every down and we get an entrance with an identity, the in game experience at Rutgers needs work. Hopefully we see an improved entry experience. On the positive side, the Boardwalk is awesome and we have a fantastic tailgating scene. So no, it's not all bad. Rutgers has a lot to be proud of. Maybe if we had a killer entrance, the constant complaints about the stands being empty at kickoff will cease. But then we will have something else to complain about--the lines were too long getting into the stadium--at Lane they were long, but moved very quickly.

I posted in another thread somewhere, but I think there are a lot of great songs as options for stadium entrance and third downs that Rutgers could use. It’s really whatever gets the players amped that matters. Either way two that I always thought of being good.

Entrance…

3rd Down…. The “rally around the family” portion repeating a few times.

Good suggestions, but the themes of those songs might not fit, especially sober. Enter Sandman is a great one.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is another one, but Rutgers could never get past the urge of fans to chant F Penn State!! (which is always appropriate!!! 😂)

72 Seasons from the latest Metallica Album is a good song with a build, and on the video screen with a mash up of the horse entrance, would be great to the build in the song at 2:00. The song, as described by James Hetfield: "72 seasons is basically the first 18 years of your life. How do you evolve and grow and mature and develop your own ideas and identity of self after those first 72 seasons."

Maybe a song isn't even needed. USC does Arrival of the Trojan without any music, followed by fireworks, but their video production is fantastic:

Reactions: William J. Leggett

Hold up… I’ve been listening for the train horn on tv and THOUGHT Ive been hearing For Whom on third downs as usual. That’s not played anymore?

One of the, if not best designed entrances in college football. Extremely simple and not disjointed like ours. Can be reproduced pretty much anywhere. Rutgers operations should have taken notes. Don't need 20 minutes of videos, ear splitting music and forced interaction. Let the band play, get crowd get involved organically with a cross stadium cheer. Play one song. Bring the horse out through the band tunnel as the team enters. And don't have the team enter 10 minutes before the game starts.

Good move by Schiano to bring the team out during the song. Not before, not after but during. Only way to do it when you are on the road (assuming coming out a separate tunnel). Negates any potential intimidation factor
There is nothing that Schiano doesn’t think about when preparing his teams for battle . That’s just one little example there are so many other little things that fans don’t know about but they are all meant to help our players get an advantage. Whether it be mental or physical he’s on top of it.

It was awesome. Even more awesome when they turned the music off & 65,000 fans sang the rest of the song while jumping up & down.
Not intimidating but awesome

Last edited:
Hold up… I’ve been listening for the train horn on tv and THOUGHT Ive been hearing For Whom on third downs as usual. That’s not played anymore?

Shhhhhhh. No. It hasn't been played in 3rd down for the first 2 games. Only at the end of quarters & on TDs.

I'm praying that continues

There is nothing that Schiano doesn’t think about when preparing his teams for battle . That’s just one little example there are so many other little things that fans don’t know about but they are all meant to help our players get an advantage. Whether it be mental or physical he’s on top of it.
Greg mentioned this --he said that the football players work hard, but it is important for them to have fun too. This is why he had the players come out early to see the iconic entrance on Saturday.

For Whom the Bell Tolls has been played sporadically. Train horn has gone silent
One of the, if not best designed entrances in college football. Extremely simple and not disjointed like ours. Can be reproduced pretty much anywhere. Rutgers operations should have taken notes. Don't need 20 minutes of videos, ear splitting music and forced interaction. Let the band play, get crowd get involved organically with a cross stadium cheer. Play one song. Bring the horse out through the band tunnel as the team enters. And don't have the team enter 10 minutes before the game starts.
Va Tech or USC or both? I love USC's entrance with the band playing and the fireworks.

And as mentioned above, it is not only fun for the fans and possibly gets more fans into the game early to see "the show," Greg said it is fun for the players. Is fun allowed?

Shhhhhhh. No. It hasn't been played in 3rd down for the first 2 games. Only at the end of quarters & on TDs.

I'm praying that continues
You are talking about the train horn, correct?

Reactions: MrsScrew
Good suggestions, but the themes of those songs might not fit, especially sober. Enter Sandman is a great one.

For Whom the Bell Tolls is another one, but Rutgers could never get past the urge of fans to chant F Penn State!! (which is always appropriate!!! 😂)

72 Seasons from the latest Metallica Album is a good song with a build, and on the video screen with a mash up of the horse entrance, would be great to the build in the song at 2:00. The song, as described by James Hetfield: "72 seasons is basically the first 18 years of your life. How do you evolve and grow and mature and develop your own ideas and identity of self after those first 72 seasons."

Maybe a song isn't even needed. USC does Arrival of the Trojan without any music, followed by fireworks, but their video production is fantastic:

I could see your point about the “themes” of those songs, but we really need to look past that nonsense IMO and understand that the song instrumental aspects are what is really being used. We have gone soft (not you) just in general with worrying about themes now (within reason).
It was awesome. Even more awesome when they turned the music off & 65,000 fans sang the rest of the song while jumping up & down.
Not intimidating but awesome

I think the BIGGEST takeaway from this that “Rutgers” should consider is WHAT get the STADIUM rocking. Maybe they should come up with a few ideas and float a survey around to see ticket holder and general fan response. I understand there is a part of this for the players, BUT think the entrance is more for the fan entertainment, experience and getting them energized. That portion of the decision in the design of the entrance SEEMS to be overlooked IMO. Rutgers needs to better understand their audience IMO. They certainly nailed it with the boardwalk, but need to shift focus to inside and making it intimidating for the opposing team.

For Whom the Bell Tolls has been played sporadically. Train horn has gone silent

Va Tech or USC or both? I love USC's entrance with the band playing and the fireworks.

And as mentioned above, it is not only fun for the fans and possibly gets more fans into the game early to see "the show," Greg said it is fun for the players. Is fun allowed?

I was specifically talking about VTech. But most that have iconic entrances are extremely simple including USC. They don't have to be over produced. The only one that is over produced and epic is South Carolina. So many moving parts in theirs. But it works because it is tremendously choreographed. Ours is so disjointed and spackled together it's like their doing it for the first time every week.

Train horn is obnoxiously loud.

But I dislike it more because it isn’t original. I’ve heard the train horn at at least two other stadiums.

VTech’s entrance is one of a kind.

I'll keep pushing Zep's Immigrant Song for the entrance...Hammer of the Gods...We R Your OverLords. The song's been kicking azz for over 50 years, and isn't stopping.
A lot of younger people were introduced to that song in the Thor Ragnorok movie. It was played in the final battle scene. Kick ass song.

Regardless, it would be played to a 1/3 full stadium.

Perhaps we could blast it through out of the stadium speakers 15 min before kickoff as a clarion call to leave the tailgate and come to the stadium.

yes, I was talking about the train horn. It is only being used sporadically and seemingly appropriately.

Reactions: Knight Shift
What if you had to choose a song with a New Jersey connection?

Not quite teh right level of kick ass but.. this team certainly fits "Born to Run".. we can leave off his intro in the official video.. Nobody Wins unless Everybody Wins

Reactions: fg7321
A lot of younger people were introduced to that song in the Thor Ragnorok movie. It was played in the final battle scene. Kick ass song.

Regardless, it would be played to a 1/3 full stadium.

Perhaps we could blast it through out of the stadium speakers 15 min before kickoff as a clarion call to leave the tailgate and come to the stadium.
Born to Run for the tailgaiters wake-up call.

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT