ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Women’s Soccer Opens NCAA Tournament at Duke On Friday

going to be very tough to win this game as we cannot score and doubt we can keep Duke off the board

going to be very tough to win this game as we cannot score and doubt we can keep Duke off the board
On the plus side our girls got some rest & have been able to re charge. After 11 OT games[most double OT] which tied the record, there had to be tired legs plus mental fatigue.

Reactions: mighty_knights
Girls put up a good fight ... Duke scored on a free kick after a very questionable yellow card ... good record this season ... damn, thought the girls would get it ... RU is 0-5 in tourney play (WSOC 0-2, FH 0-2, soccer 0-1) this year ... lacrosse will break through!!!

Didn't score. We really need a new mindset across our sports programs. They are so adverse to scoring and offense, almost to a program.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Girls put up a good fight ... Duke scored on a free kick after a very questionable yellow card ... good record this season ... damn, thought the girls would get it ... RU is 0-5 in tourney play (WSOC 0-2, FH 0-2, soccer 0-1) this year ... lacrosse will break through!!!
As I said going in not going to win any games especially in NCAA tournament without any form of offense and again tonight we had no offense if the women are going to improve next year they have got to get better in the midfield and much better on offense you just can’t rely on your defense to pitch a shutout every game just way to much pressure on the defense

We don’t give up any goals (or very few)
We don’t score any either.
Gotta recruit a dynamic offensive player

Yep. Like that Pluck for Duke. A player with creativity and danger. A winger or CAM with another level of technical skill and/or quickness that we’ve really seen on RU WSOC. Kudos to them though. Could have won it. Especially if that handball in the box had been called. Had a couple of opportunities too in favorable positions but couldn’t make it happen. Swaby’s strike could have been a banger if it had been a couple of feet lower.

Ali needs creative help either upfront or in the attacking midfield. Anyone know if we have any such help on the way. I thought there was one highly touted this year (Hardigan or Harrigan) who may have helped but was injured?

LaPlant was finally diagnosed with compartment syndrome which has hindered her for 3 years and obviously got progressively worse and worse, I believe she is having surgery to correct it. If she comes back 100% it could be game changing for RU, especially if Harrigan or another forward can contribute similar technical ability, athleticism and soccer knowledge. Although a very small sampling, Ali and LaPlant have demonstrated that as a unit they can be extremely dangerous together. The key is to get LaPlant to 60-70 minutes a game, she and Ali would wreak havoc for defenses with their creativeness, speed, and ability to get in behind defenses. RU does not get broken down defensively but they sacrifice so much offensively and 1 goal is very difficult to come back from. They either need more balance or an offensive mentality for stretches. They hold a lot of possession, the issue is it's often in their defensive end, it seems the first thought is always to play back, not sure if it's to maintain possession, to change the point of attack, to prevent offense. But RU has to begin to pressure opponents defenses more frequently to break them down to create more opportunities, constant pressure. I would love to see a more dynamic offensive approach next year, if LaPlant and Harrigan are healthy they already have the players that can make the difference and won't have to just play players because they have no choice.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
LaPlant was finally diagnosed with compartment syndrome which has hindered her for 3 years and obviously got progressively worse and worse, I believe she is having surgery to correct it. If she comes back 100% it could be game changing for RU, especially if Harrigan or another forward can contribute similar technical ability, athleticism and soccer knowledge. Although a very small sampling, Ali and LaPlant have demonstrated that as a unit they can be extremely dangerous together. The key is to get LaPlant to 60-70 minutes a game, she and Ali would wreak havoc for defenses with their creativeness, speed, and ability to get in behind defenses. RU does not get broken down defensively but they sacrifice so much offensively and 1 goal is very difficult to come back from. They either need more balance or an offensive mentality for stretches. They hold a lot of possession, the issue is it's often in their defensive end, it seems the first thought is always to play back, not sure if it's to maintain possession, to change the point of attack, to prevent offense. But RU has to begin to pressure opponents defenses more frequently to break them down to create more opportunities, constant pressure. I would love to see a more dynamic offensive approach next year, if LaPlant and Harrigan are healthy they already have the players that can make the difference and won't have to just play players because they have no choice.
Killer, agree with your post 100%. And yes a healthy LaPlant & Harrigan would be a difference maker. Another thought: once again, as in the Minny game, we were denied a penalty kick due to a hand ball in the box. We get screwed in critical situations on a regular basis & have been for the last several years that we have been in the BIG. This team as currently structured & that plays so many one goal games can ill afford for this to happen. O'Neill & Hobbs really need to get after this loudly & clearly.

Ali needs creative help either upfront or in the attacking midfield. Anyone know if we have any such help on the way. I thought there was one highly touted this year (Hardigan or Harrigan) who may have helped but was injured?
Yes it is Harrigan, with a hammie that never quite fully healed.

Killer, agree with your post 100%. And yes a healthy LaPlant & Harrigan would be a difference maker. Another thought: once again, as in the Minny game, we were denied a penalty kick due to a hand ball in the box. We get screwed in critical situations on a regular basis & have been for the last several years that we have been in the BIG. This team as currently structured & that plays so many one goal games can ill afford for this to happen. O'Neill & Hobbs really need to get after this loudly & clearly.
On the handball—I agree and was saying so above. What a killer non-call. You can make the argument that the duke player didn’t stick her arm out, but the fact is that her arm blocked the ball from likely being on frame from less than 10 feet in front of the goal. The espn commentators were saying it would have been a tough call on duke. Maybe, but it would have been the right call!

On the handball—I agree and was saying so above. What a killer non-call. You can make the argument that the duke player didn’t stick her arm out, but the fact is that her arm blocked the ball from likely being on frame from less than 10 feet in front of the goal. The espn commentators were saying it would have been a tough call on duke. Maybe, but it would have been the right call!
I hope LaPlant can come back that’s a tough surgery to come back from especially for someone who relies on her legs

I hope LaPlant can come back that’s a tough surgery to come back from especially for someone who relies on her legs
I understand that of the types of compartmental shin condition & surgery her's is the least severe. Let's hope for the best.

Re: Offrnse

LSU was the 7-seed in the SEC tourney. They won

W 3-2
W 1-1 (pk’s)
W 1-0
W 1-1 (pk’s)

NCAA

W 0-0 (pk’s)

...so much for offense #defensewinssometimes #dontfactssuck

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT