ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Wrestling Sends Six to Midlands

In keeping with the theme of terrible performances, White loses 4-2 to a true freshman from Illinois and couldn’t score an offensive point. His tournament is done.
Pretty disappointing for sure. He had such a great redshirt year, but he's taken massive steps backward. It doesn't look like he's got any fight in him. I always see the same half knee or ankle pick shots being taken. Maybe a single, but never finishing. I don't think 165 is a good weight for him. He looks a lot smaller.

The wrestling gods need to bless us with a true 165lber.

Wow Soldano lost to a wrestler w/ a 7-25 record?? He’s def regressed from last year… what is with our wrestlers doing their best freshman year then getting worst later on…
His leg look like it's banged up. I don't think he's 100% at all. That said, shouldn't have lost. I think a redshirt would probably do him well, but the season just started, so hopefully he can make some adjustments! Jan/Feb is gonna make or break some of these guys.

Soldano loses to Fisher and his tournament is done as well. He really doesn’t look strong enough to wrestler 184 in the B1G especially for his style. He gets his setups more often than not but can’t finish and ends up giving up a takedown and back points nearly every match.

His leg look like it's banged up. I don't think he's 100% at all. That said, shouldn't have lost. I think a redshirt would probably do him well, but the season just started, so hopefully he can make some adjustments! Jan/Feb is gonna make or break some of these guys.
If he’s banged up he shoulda just taken the tourney off… just like every other ranked wrestler apparently.. damn hopefully he can find his groove back..

Pretty disappointing for sure. He had such a great redshirt year, but he's taken massive steps backward. It doesn't look like he's got any fight in him. I always see the same half knee or ankle pick shots being taken. Maybe a single, but never finishing. I don't think 165 is a good weight for him. He looks a lot smaller.

The wrestling gods need to bless us with a true 165lber.
Harer is wrestling 160 this year so more than likely at some point in his career he should be up at 165. Hopefully he is the answer to our prayers at that black hole of a weight 🙏🏻

Reactions: njsportsphan
Wow Soldano lost to a wrestler w/ a 7-25 record?? He’s def regressed from last year… what is with our wrestlers doing their best freshman year then getting worst later on…
Doesn't matter what his record was... They went neutral and kid immediately locked up with Soldano... What was he supposed to do??? Cry like a bitch that Soldano escaped??? He finished the match... Soldano didn't....

What have we learned?
-Shawver is good
-Clark I think was banged up from that scramble. I think he will MFF out. Dont take too much from this loss. He is a fighter
-White is not good to put it mildly. Our hole at 165 is as big as ever. I’d look to start someone like Gayer rest of season
-SCW has a lot of potential. Wish he could get to 165
-Soldano is underachieving to point he looks really bad. Not sure his style translates to this level. Should have redshirted and should be a 174

So looks like our real chances in March as of now are 125, 133, 141, 197, and 285 assuming Yara is healthy.

Since we are missing on most of the high level HS recruits I would try to keep hitting the portal and look for MAC and EIWA level studs who could come in and contribute, ie. the Heller’s at Pitt, etc

Doesn't matter what his record was... They went neutral and kid immediately locked up with Soldano... What was he supposed to do??? Cry like a bitch that Soldano escaped??? He finished the match... Soldano didn't....
I get what you are saying but Soldano can’t be lazy and get caught sleeping at a pivotal point in the match. He needs to be ready, defensive, and smart. Part of that is on the wrestler but that’s also coaching as well.

Goes back to his strength and conditioning, which doesn’t look he his fit enough to wrestle at such a high level his current weight. Not sure if it’s injuries or what, but he’s not looking great right now and that goes for someone like White as well.

Harer is wrestling 160 this year so more than likely at some point in his career he should be up at 165. Hopefully he is the answer to our prayers at that black hole of a weight 🙏🏻
Harer won’t be in the lineup for at least another year probably 2… maybe we can get O’Neil back at 165 for this year… lol.. he did at least qualify for the weight… so it’s not all darkness lol

What have we learned?
-Shawver is good
-Clark I think was banged up from that scramble. I think he will MFF out. Dont take too much from this loss. He is a fighter
-White is not good to put it mildly. Our hole at 165 is as big as ever. I’d look to start someone like Gayer rest of season
-Soldano is underachieving to point he looks really bad. Not sure his style translates to this level. Should have redshirted and should be a 174

So looks like our real chances in March as of now are 125, 133, 141, 197, and 285 assuming Yara is healthy.

Since we are missing on most of the high level HS recruits I would try to keep hitting the portal and look for MAC and EIWA level studs who could come in and contribute, ie. the Heller’s at Pitt, etc
I think Shane is way too long framewise for 65.

I get what you are saying but Soldano can’t be lazy and get caught sleeping at a pivotal point in the match. He needs to be ready, defensive, and smart. Part of that is on the wrestler but that’s also coaching as well.

Goes back to his strength and conditioning, which doesn’t look he his fit enough to wrestle at such a high level his current weight. Not sure if it’s injuries or what, but he’s not looking great right now and that goes for someone like White as well.
Yes he has to defend better... But that wasn't laziness... That whole sequence happened so fast... I do agree that Soldano needs to redshift next year... Decide to either bulk up, or cut to 174

What have we learned?
-Shawver is good

Not sure we can count Shawver as a real AA threat yet.. def solid but he hasn’t beaten any top 10 guys.

• Sad
Reactions: Bobbynieds
SCW placed as a junior, not senior. As senior he transferred to st Benedicts and took 4th at prep nationals.
He wrestled 2 years at monmouth regional (2019, 2020) and 2 years at ocean township (2021 covid year, 2022 where he was 6th place as a senior.) St Benedict’s last year must have been a gap year.

Not sure we can count Shawver as a real AA threat yet.. def solid but he hasn’t beaten any top 10 guys.
He nearly beat Patrick Glory last year. He didn’t come out with the win but he can hang with anyone. March is all about matchups so with the right draw Shawver can absolutely get there.

He nearly beat Patrick Glory last year. He didn’t come out with the win but he can hang with anyone. March is all about matchups so with the right draw Shawver can absolutely get there.
Not saying Shawver can’t AA.. but he hasn’t beaten any top 10 guys this season.. and has head scratching losses time to time… if he can wrestle like he did when he beat McKee then he would absolutely be a fav to AA but he has to be more consistent wit it. If he can win midlands he’s def in contention.

Not saying Shawver can’t AA.. but he hasn’t beaten any top 10 guys this season.. and has head scratching losses time to time… if he can wrestle like he did when he beat McKee then he would absolutely be a fav to AA but he has to be more consistent wit it. If he can win midlands he’s def in contention.
He would have had a rematch with top ten Latona today but Latona lost to the cal poly kid shawver handled earlier this year.
After the last match I was definitely looking forward to that one.

Reactions: KidDagger
Also there have been some comments about him being small for 184. Today the wrestler was 100% stronger then him. I agree on your take. It’s frustrating bc he was so much better then that guy.
He’s too small.. go to 174 next year

It really is a shame if Soldano doesn’t get it together. We don’t get enough high recruits, we need the ones we do get to make noise.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Clark got in on a leg with 5 seconds left. Easy. Should have been taking that shot all match . This is how we lose close matches. We need to open up the offensive attacks

Reactions: MS-RU
Clark wastes the first 6:55 of the match doing absolutely nothing and loses once again. I’m not sure what he is doing out there..

Takes another terrible lose to Harvards backup this time. The middle of our lineup is a dumpster fire once again.

Gayer advances by injury default. He will face the guy who beat White in his last match.

Gayer loses in SV and will wrestle for 7th. He was wrestling well but got caught sleeping a bit at the whistle after a stoppage and gave up an immediate takedown unfortunately.

Who does Shawver get in finals?
Ragusin from Michigan.. RS this year for Cannon… huge test for Shawver.. if he can win he is bonafide AA threat this year.. If he loses, still a good showing and should get a nice bump up in the rankings.. I’d guess maybe top 15ish

Shawver down 3-1 after 2. Shawver was in on a nice shot but Ragusin is very crafty/slippery and countered it beautifully into points of his own.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT