ADVERTISEMENT

RUWBB 2017-18: “Honor the Past” OR “Look to the Future”

I believe…

• Honor the Past

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • Look to the Future

Votes: 37 75.5%

• Total voters
Last time she has gotten a real good player from NJ? like a Carson for example. Needs to go.

Again, it's a cruel choice to have to make.

But, if it is true:

if the "rojas" give us a good chance for a winning season in 2017-2018, then...

isn't it better to give our new coach (a new coach who is inevitably coming soon in any case)

to give that new coach a running start, to give her or him an opportunity to get a good start next year

rather than

risking sacrificing the program's future (perhaps for years)

because we can't make the cruel decision we should make this year?

Why put it off? We could very well have to force it next year anyway. And doing it now gives the new coach a cupboard that's not completely empty.

Sort of diverging from the premise of this thread, a new coach is likely to have a different philosophy than CVS (many people on the board, in fact, are begging for a different philosophy). There's a fair chance that the new coach wouldn't have Tyler, as she might well have WNBA and foreign play as options given that she's a senior this year, and some other players likely would bail or be told that their services are not wanted. (This is pretty common when you have a coaching change.) I wouldn't assume much about the team next year if there's a new coach.

Reactions: dmd78
These polls are a nice diversion from a hugely disappointing season. But, only ONE vote counts; Pat Hobbs' vote. I think Pat considers CVS's ability to attract "deep pockets" to donate to the Build Big Ten Fund. I am not aware that CVS has any followers with deep pockets? Also, she cannot pack The RAC. So, Pat, let's move on. Make the tough call and move on.

Sort of diverging from the premise of this thread, a new coach is likely to have a different philosophy than CVS (many people on the board, in fact, are begging for a different philosophy). There's a fair chance that the new coach wouldn't have Tyler, as she might well have WNBA and foreign play as options given that she's a senior this year, and some other players likely would bail or be told that their services are not wanted. (This is pretty common when you have a coaching change.) I wouldn't assume much about the team next year if there's a new coach.

Tyler could bail even if CVS is here...or she can play at another school if she feels RU will not make a tourney run next year....or maybe Tyler does not come back 100%. I do not think many other players are in a position to bail, the majority of the returners are not really high level players and the transfers cannot leave anyhow. You cannot make decision based on what players might leave...that was an argument last year for keeping Eddie Jordan

Tyler could bail even if CVS is here...or she can play at another school if she feels RU will not make a tourney run next year....or maybe Tyler does not come back 100%. I do not think many other players are in a position to bail, the majority of the returners are not really high level players and the transfers cannot leave anyhow. You cannot make decision based on what players might leave...that was an argument last year for keeping Eddie Jordan

I don't disagree with you about those possibilities, but I was responding to the idea that a new coach would enjoy a fully-stocked cupboard. FWIW, I think the likelihood is that Tyler stays if CVS stays, but she certainly could leave regardless of the coaching situation.

I would prefer to see us make a move now. Even the CVS supporters know she is on her last couple of seasons, so how can she recruit? That will just the cupboard that much more bare when we moved on in a couple years. Either bring someone on board now with an agreement he/she will take the reins in two years and let CVS have one last crack at glory with the rojas, or just pull the plug now and celebrate her career at halftime of a B1G game next season. But please no more extensions without a clear game plan for the next head coach.

I would prefer to see us make a move now. Even the CVS supporters know she is on her last couple of seasons, so how can she recruit? That will just the cupboard that much more bare when we moved on in a couple years. Either bring someone on board now with an agreement he/she will take the reins in two years and let CVS have one last crack at glory with the rojas, or just pull the plug now and celebrate her career at halftime of a B1G game next season. But please no more extensions without a clear game plan for the next head coach.
Agree: Hobbs must make his move fast.
Pull the plug now and start the search for Vivian's replacement or let it be known she's coming back and do that now as well.
If the the contract negotiations are holding it up, let Stringer know this season took away any leverage the 1000 wins might have given her and let her know to reach that as the RU HC she needs to accept what's offered or find a program that she can continue the hunt there.

If Hobbs don't plan on bringing Vivian back and is trying to get her to accept retirement gracefully, time to say thank you for all you have done but the future is now and I'm moving on, so retire ad be Coach Emeritus, resign with buyout or be terminated.
Getting a replacement for CVS ASAP should be Hobbs' main concern.
Waiting doesn't help if RU is going toget the jump on other programs looking for quality HC candidates.

John Chaney was 66-60 in his last 4 years before he retired. The program right now is terrible and losing to Wisconsin twice proves it.

John Chaney was 66-60 in his last 4 years before he retired. The program right now is terrible and losing to Wisconsin twice proves it.

The RU WBB program right now looks terrible but Chaney might be an example of staying on to long but didn't ruin the program
Fran Dunphy was 214–120 before this season (15-15) with 7 NCAA appearances in the ten years since he tool over for Cheney.
Also Temple was either 1st or second in conference (A-10 /AAC) standings 6 of the 10 years since Cheney left including 1st place last season.

Vivian's record the last 4 years is 76 -58 which can't be called terrible, but this year's 6-44 can be.
As far as CVS coming back after a season like this one, I won't complain/cheer if Hobbs decides not to bring her back, nor whine/celebrate if he does.
I can see valid reasons for giving Stringer one more year or hiring a new RU WBB HC.

The RU WBB program right now looks terrible but Chaney might be an example of staying on to long but didn't ruin the program
Fran Dunphy was 214–120 before this season (15-15) with 7 NCAA appearances in the ten years since he tool over for Cheney.
Also Temple was either 1st or second in conference (A-10 /AAC) standings 6 of the 10 years since Cheney left including 1st place last season.

Vivian's record the last 4 years is 76 -58 which can't be called terrible, but this year's 6-44 can be.
As far as CVS coming back after a season like this one, I won't complain/cheer if Hobbs decides not to bring her back, nor whine/celebrate if he does.
I can see valid reasons for giving Stringer one more year or hiring a new RU WBB HC.

6-44???

I have a lot of faith in this team for next season looking at the additions. We need 1 more tall girl though. Harris is our best at this point, but we need a Rachel Hollivay-type player that is just huge and can stand under the hoop and scare opponents into backing out. Can go up and draw fouls. We were totally totally overmatched inside this whole season and it didn't change. We don't have the player on the court. If she can find one before next year, I'll feel better.

I find I can't answer the poll. We must *both* honor the past and look to the future. What makes this so agonizing for many fans is precisely that it's hard to do both in CVS's case. I really don't understand how the team became so weak.

When was the last time any other school got top notch recruits from NJ? Please list.
Notre Dame has cashed in on two Mabrey sisters (another is on her way). Marina's freshmen stats last year were about 11 pts per game,45% 3 PT FG%. I'd take that any day from a freshmen, and the fact that it was for an elite team is even more impressive.
There have been several other NJ recruits from the Rivals top 100 that have made their way to MD, UVA, Louisville and others in recent years. I don't have the time now to look up their stats and see what kind of program impact they had.

Reactions: bac2therac
no need to honor consistent losing
Last year was a losing season , but give me an example of the "consistent" losing you're talking about.
If CVS hasn't had RU WBB meet your standards , go for that .
But don't claim something that isn't true in order to knock Stringer.

Reactions: Knight Time Fan
Last year was a losing season , but give me an example of the "consistent" losing you're talking about.
If CVS hasn't had RU WBB meet your standards , go for that .
But don't claim something that isn't true in order to knock Stringer.
Last time in the NCAA.Her current record in the B10.Her recruiting top notch high school players,
That is not winning especially at her rate of pay.

Reactions: shields
I have a lot of faith in this team for next season looking at the additions. We need 1 more tall girl though. Harris is our best at this point, but we need a Rachel Hollivay-type player that is just huge and can stand under the hoop and scare opponents into backing out. Can go up and draw fouls. We were totally totally overmatched inside this whole season and it didn't change. We don't have the player on the court. If she can find one before next year, I'll feel better.
Teams that can't shoot or lack the size to rebound are in B1G trouble.

Last time in the NCAA.Her current record in the B10.Her recruiting top notch high school players,
That is not winning especially at her rate of pay.
2014–15 season in NCAA and B1G record 12-6.
You're ignoring that and focusing on the 2015-16 (19-15 ) season that RU was 7-9 in conference play.
The 2016-17 season can be used easily, but the other seasons since RU joined the B1G is a stretch by you
The 28-9 2013-14 season didn't bring a NCAA bid, but the WNIT Championship was a decent consolation prize.
You want to make not going to the NCAA an issue ? Bring up 1 time in last 5 years and I will say you have a point.
But the consistent losing BS you claimed just shows you don't care about accuracy when you're trying to make a point.
The rest you added was to cover your butt because you stated something easily proven false and pointed out about the losing claim you made.

I will agree there are good reasons why some want Vivian gone so bad, but there isn't a good reason to make false claims about why Hobbs should let Stringer go.
Heck , just last year's record would be a valid one for Hobbs to replace CVS.
No need to put lipstick on the pig you're trying to sell there are enough valid reasons that no one should have a beef with being pointed out .

2014–15 season in NCAA and B1G record 12-6.
You're ignoring that and focusing on the 2015-16 (19-15 ) season that RU was 7-9 in conference play.
The 2016-17 season can be used easily, but the other seasons since RU joined the B1G is a stretch by you
The 28-9 2013-14 season didn't bring a NCAA bid, but the WNIT Championship was a decent consolation prize.
You want to make not going to the NCAA an issue ? Bring up 1 time in last 5 years and I will say you have a point.
But the consistent losing BS you claimed just shows you don't care about accuracy when you're trying to make a point.
The rest you added was to cover your butt because you stated something easily proven false and pointed out about the losing claim you made.

I will agree there are good reasons why some want Vivian gone so bad, but there isn't a good reason to make false claims about why Hobbs should let Stringer go.
Heck , just last year's record would be a valid one for Hobbs to replace CVS.
No need to put lipstick on the pig you're trying to sell there are enough valid reasons that no one should have a beef with being pointed out .
Her salary is in the top 5%.Her record is not.

Notre Dame has cashed in on two Mabrey sisters (another is on her way). Marina's freshmen stats last year were about 11 pts per game,45% 3 PT FG%. I'd take that any day from a freshmen, and the fact that it was for an elite team is even more impressive.
There have been several other NJ recruits from the Rivals top 100 that have made their way to MD, UVA, Louisville and others in recent years. I don't have the time now to look up their stats and see what kind of program impact they had.

remember when RU was 2nd only to UConn in the Big East and ahead of Notre Dame in any pecking order Muffet took her program to another stratosphere while CVS slogged through mediocre seasons

remember when RU was 2nd only to UConn in the Big East and ahead of Notre Dame in any pecking order Muffet took her program to another stratosphere while CVS slogged through mediocre seasons
Drone on! This is tiring. The AD makes this decision. Trust him.

Reactions: Scarletwoman
lol nothing to do with trusting....Hobbs is scared just like Julie was, just like Tim was, they all do not want to deal with it...that is fact
If he's scared , Hobbs should be replaced like the others you mentioned.
The AD must do what's best for the program he is looking at, not cower in a corner scared of the HC of that program.
Maye you should obsess on that in your never ending Vivian must go campaign and go after the cause of her remaining the RU WBB HC.
#freeRUWBB,fire Hobbs [banana]:cool2:[winking]

As for me: I think Pat Hobbs is still evaluating whether or not to bring back Stringer and that's why the contract extension that everyone expects , hasn't happened yet.
It's not Hobbs quivering in the corner, but holding his ground till he decides the best course of action to take to make RU WBB the best it can be with what he has to work with now.

As for me: I think Pat Hobbs is still evaluating whether or not to bring back Stringer and that's why the contract extension that everyone expects , hasn't happened yet.

It's now April 12. If he was going to make a move, the time to do it was about a month ago. If he's still evaluating, there's something wrong in the AD's office.

It's now April 12. If he was going to make a move, the time to do it was about a month ago. If he's still evaluating, there's something wrong in the AD's office.
I'm just trying to figure out about the contract extension that was supposed to be in the works.
Either Hobbs is going to let CVS return next season and decide her fate according to the way 2017-18 plays out or let her go before next season starts, if he doesn't plan on extending her.
I could be wrong on both counts, but it seems strange no word about extension has surfaced in awhile ( at least nothing I have heard on free boards , blogs or articles about RU WBB.)

I'm just trying to figure out about the contract extension that was supposed to be in the works.
Either Hobbs is going to let CVS return next season and decide her fate according to the way 2017-18 plays out or let her go before next season starts, if he doesn't plan on extending her.
I could be wrong on both counts, but it seems strange no word about extension has surfaced in awhile ( at least nothing I have heard on free boards , blogs or articles about RU WBB.)

If he lets her go at this point, it's a sign he doesn't care about WCBB or doesn't know what he's doing. I'm not saying he won't, but those kinds of decisions really have to be made right after the season ends. Right now, I'd bet that she is coaching next year, with or without an extension.

The "C. Vivian Stringer Basketball Camps" at he RAC don't end until August 5.

tell me what is not true about my post instead of making a personal attack
Show me the proof that "Hobbs is scared as was Julie and Tim were". That's strictly your opinion. As far as it being a personal attack, you constantly berate anyone whose opinion differs from you. My criticism is that you violate board rules by constantly making the same point over and over in nearly every post you make on this forum. Tiring is a kind way for me to say it.

ADVERTISEMENT