ADVERTISEMENT

SCARLET KNIGHT STATUE

picture of the granite base and dedication plaque for the knight statue.
A4786EC6-8159-422D-A790-834F2A090C88_zpspfkyktjc.jpg

IMG_0983_zps0oo3q5rv.jpg

As this long thread well demonstrates, everyone has a diffrent opinion on how this statue should be designed and executed. When it's unvieled, can we perhaps refrain from looking a gift horse(man) in the mouth, looking for perceived imperfections, and just be grateful for DEVCO's unsolicited donation?

LOL. Newbie.

If it's 4' x 4' square, then by eyeballing, I'm going to guess it's only about 2 ft tall. Which is on the short side IMO. Some more height would allow the four faces of the base to be used for display.
Agreed. Saw the short base, maybe only a foot, during the spring game and was disappointed. Maybe the statue when installed will have another 3 or 4 foot base at the bottom. Here s to hoping though at ru we know what that is like

For all of you that are having base envy and stress, the base is nearly two feet high and the Knight is 8' high so the Knight will stand 10 FEET ......
Thanks for all the hard work in getting us a statue. I am certainly happy to see one on campus. As w any project there will be some criticism mine being w the base. A taller base to highlight the year of our schools founding w a block R would have been very charming. Alas we have a statue, thanks for making it happen.

Reactions: RUnTeX
Thanks for all the hard work in getting us a statue. I am certainly happy to see one on campus. As w any project there will be some criticism mine being w the base. A taller base to highlight the year of our schools founding w a block R would have been very charming. Alas we have a statue, thanks for making it happen.
Still Room on Base for Block Letter R...lets see how it looks when it goes up....I am open

No ceremony ....it will be up Thursday afternoon ....ready for Alumni weekend that kicks off with a movie night and scotch tasting Friday Night
Eventually I'd love to see RU do what MSU has...they have 3 Spartan statues on campus. I think eventually RU should get a Knight statue on each campus...4 total. One for College Ave (this one), then one each for Busch, Livingston, and Cook/Douglass. The seniors are going to have so much fun with this.

Reactions: Leonard23
Tomorrow we will be hoisting the Scarlet Knigjt onto its base in front of the Yard
It is a donation by Devco
The statue is bronze is 8' and 900lbs. The two foot base weighs 6,000lbs and made of granite
We expect generations of students , fans and visitors to take photos with this fellow

cid:4C087052-2C88-4AB3-9C44-083280B699D5

Tomorrow we will be hoisting the Scarlet Knigjt onto its base in front of the Yard
It is a donation by Devco
The statue is bronze is 8' and 900lbs. The two foot base weighs 6,000lbs and made of granite
We expect generations of students , fans and visitors to take photos with this fellow

cid:4C087052-2C88-4AB3-9C44-083280B699D5

Hey @Cofifa the image isn't showing up, at least for me. What time is the hoisting?

Wow, this blows my expectations out of the water, totally over delivered, I love it. The shield and red accents are awesome.

Is there a schedule to maintain the paint, it is one of those things that looks great but could fade quickly.
If it is a veneer that won't fade, that would be sweet.

The granite base is 6,000 pounds!!!!! I had no idea it was that dense and I now further appreciate the work the Egyptians did with it.

Last edited:
Wow, this blows my expectations out of the water, totally over delivered, I love it. The shield and red accents are awesome.

Is there a schedule to maintain the paint, it is one of those things that looks great but could fade quickly.
If it is a veneer that won't fade, that would be sweet.

The granite base is 6,000 pounds!!!!! I had not idea it was that dense and I know further appreciate the work the Egyptians did with it.
paint is the same process they use for cars!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT