ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano running out of choices

graystork

All American
Nov 30, 2008
Probably felt good about being considered for USC and Miami. Now? Not even on the short list for Virginia. If he really wants to get back into coaching as much as the media thinks he does, Rutgers might be his last chance. Pressure mounting.

Probably felt good about being considered for USC and Miami. Now? Not even on the short list for Virginia. If he really wants to get back into coaching as much as the media thinks he does, Rutgers might be his last chance. Pressure mounting.
Media pressure? Not like his last year with the Bucs. He can sit in his waterfront home in the Tampa area, collect his severance, do his TV commentary and await next year's dominos.

Reactions: MikeR0102
How long does he have left on his TB contract? I understand that he's still being paid. Would that continue or would it be terminated once he took another coaching job?

If he took a job for $2 million this year would the Bucs still owe him $1million?
Contracts are structured differently, but it's not uncommon for a team who fired a coach to owe him the difference between fair market value for a job he takes and what he was making under his contract prior to being fired. He couldn't negotiate with Rutgers, for instance, to pay him $100,000 in his first year and have Tampa pick up the remaining $2.9mm. I'm not sure how fair market value is determined, but it would have to meet the "reasonable" part of the law. $2mm is probably fair market for Schiano at RU, so my guess is that the Bucs would owe him the $1mm to make him whole.

If the guy is still getting $3 mil from the Bucs this year, with no state tax in Florida what's the rush? Schiano has all the cards. Either someone pays him equal or more or he waits till next year. Worst case he could take over for Kirby Smart at Alabama.

Oh well. Maybe GS should stop thinking so damn highly of himself and not put "Dear Old Rutgers," on the back-burner, as he has been doing. While many of us wouldn't mind him coming back, and think he'd probably do a good job, I think it's safe to say he's losing steam with the general public out here and very likely with the new powers-that-be at RU. Wouldn't surprise me, to be honest, at this point.

I think that answers some of our questions as to why Schiano has not accepted or been offered a position. I'm sure he's approaching negotiations with TB's contract in hand. In other words "If Rutgers really wants him they'll have to cover his TB contract plus salary." Assuming that the case Rutgers should not accept those terms.

For what ever it's worth I met a man who was a general manger at a hotel where Schiano and the team stayed and he said that Schiano comes across as a normal guy but in reality he's a very strict and borderline weird. Please don't hold me to the specifics but the hotel conference room had to be 63°. Seating arrangements were super specific. A chair was angled incorrectly and he stopped walked over made the individual stand up and moved the chair. I just found this to behavior to be a bit odd.

Last edited:
I think he over played his hand. He'll be on the sidelines again this off-season unless an NFL team scoops him up as a DC. His only job offer was UCF, despite interviewing and throwing his name around everywhere.

Schiano is an average to below average HC. If Rutgers wants to win a championship then having Schiano on our sideline as HC is a bad proposition.

My grades for GS: game coach C and recruiter B. Keep him away from Rutgers.

Oh well. Maybe GS should stop thinking so damn highly of himself and not put "Dear Old Rutgers," on the back-burner, as he has been doing. While many of us wouldn't mind him coming back, and think he'd probably do a good job, I think it's safe to say he's losing steam with the general public out here and very likely with the new powers-that-be at RU. Wouldn't surprise me, to be honest, at this point.
Sounds like a perfectionist..for coaching a great quality but sends up red flags...right now we need someone who wants to be here....ASAP....a few days ago he was the guy...in todays poll I voted Al G...

If the guy is still getting $3 mil from the Bucs this year, with no state tax in Florida what's the rush? Schiano has all the cards. Either someone pays him equal or more or he waits till next year. Worst case he could take over for Kirby Smart at Alabama.

The longer he stays out of coaching the farther away the head coaching P5 program ship goes. He's overplaying his hand. There are no conference championships, New Years Day bowl games or Super Bowls he can point to on his resume. A reformed GS returning to RU to finish the job sounded very compelling and should have been his first choice. Now he may have no choice at all.

GO RU

Sounds like a perfectionist..for coaching a great quality but sends up red flags...right now we need someone who wants to be here....ASAP....a few days ago he was the guy...in todays poll I voted Al G...

Exactly. Sounds like Greg has NOT changed, contrary to what some (want to) believe, despite all that happened in Tampa.

I want the guy as our coach but he is not getting a DC job in the pros. He will need to be a position coach for a year or two before he can move up (see Mangini) to DC. And, yes, while he is being paid, he is killing himself professionally. Every year that passes and every job he doesn't get gives schools and teams yet more reason not to hire him.

Reactions: MozRU
Enough chopping, we are Knights not lumberjacks, it's time to win some games. Wish him well and move on folks!

Exactly. Sounds like Greg has NOT changed, contrary to what some (want to) believe, despite all that happened in Tampa.

I don't see how we can determine that at this point. There is (incomplete) evidence for both sides.

ZpIw6WC.gif

Reactions: DT Hawxhurst
What exactly would we win besides the big ten ' s 9th ranked bowl?
BRG: But he would win that 9th ranked bowl the right way, with integrity and pride. If and when he's asked about better bowls or winning key games he'll tell you it's about building a tall fence around NJ and making sure all his players are "in the mix."

On a serious note: He did take the job seriously and I believe that the administration to a certain degree handcuffed him in terms of recruiting key athletes. I thank him for making us semi competitive but we need a coach to take us to that next level. If TCU and Houston can do it so can we.

Reactions: brgossRU90
I don't see how we can determine that at this point. There is (incomplete) evidence for both sides.

You could be right, it's my opinion however, and I was a big Greg fan if you recall so it's not like I've got anything against the guy to say as much, I just don't see any differences in this Greg and the one who left us nearly 4 years ago.

Reactions: RUsojo
BRG: But he would win that 9th ranked bowl the right way, with integrity and pride. If and when he's asked about better bowls or winning key games he'll tell you it's about building a tall fence around NJ and making sure all his players are "in the mix."

On a serious note: He did take the job seriously and I believe that the administration to a certain degree handcuffed him in terms of recruiting key athletes. I thank him for making us semi competitive but we need a coach to take us to that next level. If TCU and Houston can do it so can we.

Houston passed us no way, maybe this yr. if schiano is not excited to come back then i dont want him. We are B10 so im sure many coaches would love this job

I'd love it if GS came back as head coach. I think his next job might be a DC in the NFL or a top college program. If he doesn't get the opportunity he wants now.. remind people what he can do with a defense will go a long way to make him a top candidate next time around.

Nuts,
You are 100 percent spot on. I was waiting for Greg on Monday with arms wide open. He is overplaying his hand and thinking too highly of himself. He's as stubborn as Flood, but in a different way. Maybe most coaches are stubborn. That SI article he planted last year had many of us fooled. He blew his chance to come back here with a groundswell of support. He may still land here, but everyone knows RU wasn't his first choice. Instead of coming home to a huge party, he will just get some congratulatory emails.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT