ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

I fail to understand what was so great about what Lance did at Buffalo. His only P5 win there was the one against RU (we won one game that year). The same people talking about how great he is were on the Hafley bandwagon until we beat them.

Kansas just won a couple games. Good for them. It doesn’t mean that hiring a MAC coach coming off a mediocre 8-5 season (lost 45-13 to PSU in only P5 game on the schedule) with no ties to NJ made sense for Rutgers following the Ash era.

Kansas football's undefeated start catches national spotlight: 'Lance Leipold is the real deal'​

• Lance Leipold
Adam Hensley, Topeka Capital-Journal
Sat, September 17, 2022 at 8:51 PM·1 min read

Kansas football is off to a historic start thanks to a statement win against Houston
Saturday.

The Jayhawks are 3-0 for the first time since 2009. They've won back-to-back road games for the first time since 2007.

Kansas pulled off the 48-30 road victory thanks to quarterback Jalon Daniel's five-touchdown performance. Daniels threw for 158 yards and ran for 115 more, while scoring three times through the air and twice on the ground. The Jayhawk defense forced two turnovers as well. At one point, the game was delayed by 70 minutes due to lightning in the Houston area, but Kansas came out firing after the break.

Head coach Lance Leipold's group is showing tangible improvement early on in his second season with the Jayhawk program. The national media is taking notes, too.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kansas-footballs-undefeated-start-catches-005113859.html

Looks likes Kansas defense did most of the heavy lifting. Throwing for 158 yards isn't exactly an air raid offense.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Looks likes Kansas defense did most of the heavy lifting. Throwing for 158 yards isn't exactly an air raid offense.
they won, just like RU did
Lance is good for the Jayhawks and Greg has RU 3-0 so far. this season , with a chance to have RU bowling 2 years in a row.
Leipold was 2-10 last year but making headway this year

I fail to understand what was so great about what Lance did at Buffalo. His only P5 win there was the one against RU (we won one game that year). The same people talking about how great he is were on the Hafley bandwagon until we beat them.

Kansas just won a couple games. Good for them. It doesn’t mean that hiring a MAC coach coming off a mediocre 8-5 season (lost 45-13 to PSU in only P5 game on the schedule) with no ties to NJ made sense for Rutgers following the Ash era.
It does matter to several posters who only post negatives about Rutgers. I didn’t see these “ fans” posting positives about an unexpected win against Hafley’s BC juggernaut. We are struggling on offense and with an almost total new o line and 2 inexperienced very young QB’s you expected more? After 55 years I realize Rutgers will never satisfy the troll posters even if we went undefeated and wound up in the NC game. Ignore the fools from Sadexcuse, PSU , UCan’t … It is actually year 2 of Schiano’s return. Still plenty of work to do.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Listening to the peanut gallery posters the KU offense is comparable to Ohio State or Michigan or PSU. Congrats to KU … even a blind squirrel can find that proverbially nut.

As I said as well as many other actual fans on the board If you feel so strongly about Kansas and Liepold then move to Kansas. Nobody is happy about our offense but some actually believe in letting it play out. At season’s end we all can voice our concerns but though year 3 ( and really year 2) we have an injured 3 year starter and two under 21 QB’s. That is the basic issue . The Oline is spanking brand new and unfortunately that takes a little more patience . As Doug said earlier feel free to relinquish your “ Rutgers affiliation. Honestly you only come on to criticize , denigrate and prove stupidity is Mr. Twister’s claim to fame.
Your characterization of folks you don’t know is off by miles. But keep chirping. I like most of your posts.

In my opinion, both are about equal as coaches. Coach S has the B1G east to contend with. Coach L has the little 12. Coach L should have a better record but that doesn't make him a better coach.

In my opinion, both are about equal as coaches. Coach S has the B1G east to contend with. Coach L has the little 12. Coach L should have a better record but that doesn't make him a better coach.
And he hasn’t coached in the NFL and gotten a sniff from Michigan and Tennessee.

Reactions: RUBOB72
Your characterization of folks you don’t know is off by miles. But keep chirping. I like most of your posts.
Characterizing is easy especially with your recent postings . I don’t have to know you personally to see where you are at With Rutgers , team and several coaches. Why feel guilty? You are wrong and way off base. Did you listen to Schiano’s Press conference earlier. Pretty much is exactly what I posted and as Richie witnessed Greg was not happy with Richie’s question. Don’t blame Schiano at all. He has answered honestly and succinctly about this team and where we are In a rebuild. Funny how it is exactly what we predicted year 4-5 will get us to middle of pack.

Irrelevant. It’s 2022. Besides, two of those three examples are major stains on his cv.

Schiano hasn’t lost a non-conference game yet since returning - you know we’re a perfect 6-0, right?

Anything Leipold did prior to arriving at Kansas was at that level of competition. Just so we’re clear - at the moment, Leipold has beaten a total of three P5 teams to date throughout his entire HC career (and that’s if you count beating Ash’ one win RU team as P5).

Reactions: ScarletDave
Too soon to tell how high--or not--either one will take their team but so far Leopold is doing better with a more a more downtrodden team in less-fertile recruiting grounds--which they share with another, better program. In his second year he's beaten West Virginia and Houston away. In Year 2 Schiano beat Syracuse, Delaware, Temple, Illinois and Indiana. I know Schiano's defenders like to run down the accomplishments of anyone not Schiano but his victories in Year 2 were all over weaker programs than West Virginia, Texas or Houston. Nobody being realistic can deny that.

Too soon to tell how high--or not--either one will take their team but so far Leopold is doing better with a more a more downtrodden team in less-fertile recruiting grounds--which they share with another, better program. In his second year he's beaten West Virginia and Houston away. In Year 2 Schiano beat Syracuse, Delaware, Temple, Illinois and Indiana. I know Schiano's defenders like to run down the accomplishments of anyone not Schiano but his victories in Year 2 were all over weaker programs than West Virginia, Texas or Houston. Nobody being realistic can deny that.

Except for that whole 2-10 thing.

Characterizing is easy especially with your recent postings . I don’t have to know you personally to see where you are at With Rutgers , team and several coaches. Why feel guilty? You are wrong and way off base. Did you listen to Schiano’s Press conference earlier. Pretty much is exactly what I posted and as Richie witnessed Greg was not happy with Richie’s question. Don’t blame Schiano at all. He has answered honestly and succinctly about this team and where we are In a rebuild. Funny how it is exactly what we predicted year 4-5 will get us to middle of pack.
You are far off the mark.

And he hasn’t coached in the NFL and gotten a sniff from Michigan and Tennessee.
Let me reiterate; I like coach Schiano and he is the right fit for Rutgers. With that said, I also think Lance Leipold is a hell of a football coach and his profile is about to get much higher. If Kansas goes to bowl this year, Lance will be shortly taking the reigns of a blue blood program. The guy is a baller.

Reactions: Wolv RU

You have no idea how good either Houston or WVU will be this season. Both are 1-2. WVU beat an FCS team and Houston beat a G5 team in OT. The Texas team your referring to won 5 games last season. That was no different than us beating Michigan in 2014.

You have no idea how good either Houston or WVU will be this season. Both are 1-2. WVU beat an FCS team and Houston beat a G5 team in OT. The Texas team your referring to won 5 games last season. That was no different than us beating Michigan in 2014.
I don't know how good WVU or Houston will be but they have both been better for a long time than anyone Schiano beat in Year 2. Schiano beat nothing but weak to mediocre programs in Year 2. Would you be happier if we had beaten WVU and Houston or Indiana and Illinois?

I don't know how good WVU or Houston will be but they have both been better for a long time than anyone Schiano beat in Year 2. Schiano beat nothing but weak to mediocre programs in Year 2. Would you be happier if we had beaten WVU and Houston or Indiana and Illinois?

Huh? If Houston finishes 5-7 in the AAC and WVU finishes dead last in the B12 beating them this season means nothing. Michigan State is a good program. Schiano beat them in his opening game returning to RU. They turned out to suck in 2020 though. I don’t see how this would be different.

Reactions: fsg2
You are far off the mark.
We’ll see what transpires and at the end of 2022 that is when critiques will be able to be judged fairly. To listen to some we are the worst team in the country. This was not going to be easy or quick and Schiano said that way before the season began. Give me a QB and continued o line improvement and we actually might win 2-3 more this year.

Indiana and Illinois ...since we played them and they're in our conference.

Let me reiterate; I like coach Schiano and he is the right fit for Rutgers. With that said, I also think Lance Leipold is a hell of a football coach and his profile is about to get much higher. If Kansas goes to bowl this year, Lance will be shortly taking the reigns of a blue blood program. The guy is a baller.
How are his recruiting classes? Asking for a friend.

Those classes haven’t started playing yet. Will they be good enough in the coming years? Let’s ask Kyle Flood and Chris Ash.
Lance Leipold is a great evaluator of talent. So much so that articles have been written about how other teams coaches watch who Lance is recruiting and try to out recruit him.

So far Leipold is doing better? 2-10 and 3-0 is better than 5-7 and 3-0? A Gator bowl vs no bowl? 4 power-5 wins versus 2 power-5 wins?? Confused as to what you define as “better” but ok.

They are both good coaches. It’s that simple. Comparing them makes little sense because they are in different situations. Big Ten East is an incredibly hard division and the Big 12 is probably the weakest power 5 conference at the moment.

Last year their composite rank was 117, ours was 33.

So far this year theirs is 75, ours is 45.

And Leipold is 1 year behind Schiano 2.0 in his tenure as Kansas HC. I've said from the beginning that Schiano was the better fit at Rutgers. I fail to understand the obsession with denigrating Leipold. It's not like there can't be 2 good fits.

Reactions: wheezer
And Leipold is 1 year behind Schiano 2.0 in his tenure as Kansas HC. I've said from the beginning that Schiano was the better fit at Rutgers. I fail to understand the obsession with denigrating Leipold. It's not like there can't be 2 good fits.
I fail to see the obsession with Leipold in general.

why are we reading about a Kansas coach on a Rutgers site? Weird.

Reactions: PSAL_Hoops

That’s not what’s happening. This entire thread was created with the sole purpose of presenting an argument that Rutgers should have hired Leipold. If that isn’t the purpose, the mods should delete the thread because then it’s not even OT with respect to RU football. What other purpose is there in comparing Leipold to Schiano?

That’s not what’s happening. This entire thread was created with the sole purpose of presenting an argument that Rutgers should have hired Leipold. If that isn’t the purpose, the mods should delete the thread because then it’s not even OT with respect to RU football. What other purpose is there in comparing Leipold to Schiano?

And the response had been Leipold is a shit coach. Maybe both sentiments are wrong.

And the response had been Leipold is a shit coach. Maybe both sentiments are wrong.

Unless you're counting his Div III record at Wisconsin-Whitewater - Leipold hasn't proven to be a spectacular coach either as some in this thread are making him out to be.

I said it before and will say it again. Nevermind the 2021 record. Leipold is trending higher, sooner (unintentional OU reference). He beat Texas and gave Oklahoma a real scare.

More important to predicting: Leipold is an offense-first coach. Schiano’s decisions, including who the QB is, are too conservative and slant heavily to maximizing defensive impact on the outcome to the detriment of offensive production and points.

Simply put, Schiano’s priority isn’t scoring. To him, goal 1 is field position and defense with outscoring the other team being the byproduct of that.

That’s not a winning formula against P5. Almost all the top programs have Offense minded HCs. That’s where the top skill position recruits go: to coaches who will highlight their talent.
Could I then argue that this is why we lose to a Ohio state worse than most comparable teams to us?
That once that powerhouse team exposes our defensive weaknesses, we don’t have the offense to respond, where other comparable teams respond enough not to be totally embarrassed score wise, since they prioritize offense more

Reactions: brgRC90
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT