ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

So far Leipold is doing better? 2-10 and 3-0 is better than 5-7 and 3-0? A Gator bowl vs no bowl? 4 power-5 wins versus 2 power-5 wins?? Confused as to what you define as “better” but ok.
In Year 2 Schiano went 3-0 by beating Temple, Syracuse and Delaware. In Year 2 Leopold has gone 3-0 by beating Tennessee Tech, West Virginia and Houston, while aversging 53 points per game. Unless WVU and Houston turn out to be dismally bad this year that's better.

They seem to be opposites. Leopold scores points and gives up points, Schiano doesn't score points or give up points. The problem is that in an offense-crazed era, with many different styles there is no way to hold every opponent to a low score so you better have an offense capable of keeping up in the games when the defense gives up points. Our offense can't do that by design. It's a hopeless strategy.

Reactions: AnklePicker1
And Leipold is 1 year behind Schiano 2.0 in his tenure as Kansas HC. I've said from the beginning that Schiano was the better fit at Rutgers. I fail to understand the obsession with denigrating Leipold. It's not like there can't be 2 good fits.

?

This thread is called Schiano vs Leipold and started/bumped by Leipold people.

There's an obsession, but it ain't on the side you suggest.

• Wow
Reactions: Jimpeg
Could I then argue that this is why we lose to a Ohio state worse than most comparable teams to us?
That once that powerhouse team exposes our defensive weaknesses, we don’t have the offense to respond, where other comparable teams respond enough not to be totally embarrassed score wise, since they prioritize offense more
Sort of, but that’s overanalyzing. Simply put, we are one dimensional due to philosophy. It’s absurd to blame talent bc how is then that we are the only non-academy who doesn’t have anyone on the roster trusted to throw downfield?

Being one dimensional worked on one drive vs. BC, got no TDs on offense against Temple, and will be too easy for real defenses to shut down completely. We couldn’t even get first downs against Temple.

Reactions: brgRC90
Sort of, but that’s overanalyzing. Simply put, we are one dimensional due to philosophy. It’s absurd to blame talent bc how is then that we are the only non-academy who doesn’t have anyone on the roster trusted to throw downfield?

Being one dimensional worked on one drive vs. BC, got no TDs on offense against Temple, and will be too easy for real defenses to shut down completely. We couldn’t even get first downs against Temple.

At the moment, we are one of only 32 FBS teams with a 3-0 record playing without our veteran starting QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: wheezer
Is this not exactly what I said in terms of AD hiring preference between the two ? Didn’t take but one week to be proven right.

Hey Numbers are you there ?

Means next to nothing.

It means next to nothing that RU is 3-0, but it’s a huge deal to you comparatively that Kansas beat a 1-2 Houston team (whose only win was an OT victory over a UTSA team that needed OT to get past Army). At the moment, BC and Temple are 1-2 just like WVU and Houston ya know.

In Year 2 Schiano went 3-0 by beating Temple, Syracuse and Delaware. In Year 2 Leopold has gone 3-0 by beating Tennessee Tech, West Virginia and Houston, while aversging 53 points per game. Unless WVU and Houston turn out to be dismally bad this year that's better.

They seem to be opposites. Leopold scores points and gives up points, Schiano doesn't score points or give up points. The problem is that in an offense-crazed era, with many different styles there is no way to hold every opponent to a low score so you better have an offense capable of keeping up in the games when the defense gives up points. Our offense can't do that by design. It's a hopeless strategy.

Actually - since you put it that way, no I don’t think it’s a given that WVU will be better that last year’s 5-7 Syracuse team that lost in OT to WF by 3 and by 3 to Clemson. Do you see 4+ more sure wins on their schedule?

These Schiano football threads are eerily similar to the basketball forum "Fire Pike" threads from the past couple years where a small group of posters kept consistently complaining about Pike's "low ceiling" and lack of offense. In fact some still want to run him out of town. After a bad OOC run - there were fans claiming that RU would not win more than 2 or 3 Conference games. The football team is basically only a couple years removed from a disaster and needed complete re-build from the "Ash"es. It's obvious that we still have a long road ahead.....so I really don't understand all the bitching on this board about a 3-0 team as if RU has already achieved some type of entitled status. Every game carries its own individual plan and story - that's why they play them.

Reactions: redking and MADHAT1
If this Leopold cat knows that offense and QBs are important, well, he's got that going for him.

Reactions: Shelby65
I think Hafley will end up doing OK. He's off to a rough start this year, and I'm certainly not a fan of his, but he's a good coach. I think Jones probably will as well.

To me, the big advantages of GS are that he demanded so much of the University in order to take the job, and nobody will outwork him. Downsides are that his brand of football might be a bit outdated and he does have a stubborn streak. But he was the best choice, no doubt about that.
Stubborn streak is an understatement. And there is no difference in that regard between the 2.0 and 1.0 versions. The closest we came to a different Schiano was 2020. He has reverted back to his nature.

Here’s the list of posters here who agreed with me in December when I said Leipold (and Kansas) was already ahead of Schiano’s performance and promise by the end of the season despite the 2-10 record:

And here’s the list of people who agreed with me two weeks ago when I said between Leipold and Schiano, Leipold would prove to be the coach other ADs would be interested in hiring first (only took a week for this question to be answered):

The level of blindness here is stunning.

Reactions: brgRC90
Leipold has Kansas at #26 4 weeks into his 2nd season at Kansas.

There is absolutely no debate who’s doing better
doing better is right, last year it was different.
The KState HC isn't looking too shabby this year either, but I still feel Greg is the best option to bring the program into respectability.

Gotta see how it plays out.

They could lose the rest of their games.

Or he could have a great year this year and then drop off as his players join the team.

Happens all the time.

Yes there is. On what time frame?

LL YEAR 1--2021: 2-10// 1-8 in the Big 12; Barely beat FCS 7-5 South Dakota and beat a crappy 5-7 Texas
GS YEAR 1--2020--3-6///3-6 with 3 B1G wins. Hands down; Greg wins;

LL YEAR 2 -2022: 4-0; Crappy Tennessee Tech; mediocre 2-2 WVU; Crappy 2-2 Houston and Duke Woopty Doo
GS YEAR 2- 5-8//2-7 and a bowl game

There is plenty of room for debate who's doing better.
Leipold inherited a QB on the roster, Jalon Daniels who played in 8 games before Leipold took the job; and in 2021, he got a lot of reps in four games. He's a solid, dual threat QB.
This season, Rutgers does not have a QB on the roster starting in the first 4 games with significant game experience. So that's a huge advantage, and the only win that is impressive is the one against Duke. Hardly anything to get excited about. Let's see how the season plays out before declaring winners or who is doing better "without debate."

Are some of you people Rutgers fans?

Here’s the list of posters here who agreed with me in December when I said Leipold (and Kansas) was already ahead of Schiano’s performance and promise by the end of the season despite the 2-10 record:

And here’s the list of people who agreed with me two weeks ago when I said between Leipold and Schiano, Leipold would prove to be the coach other ADs would be interested in hiring first (only took a week for this question to be answered):

The level of blindness here is stunning.
Here's a list a people who believe you are a Rutgers fan:

Here's a list of people on this board who like you:

Yes there is. On what time frame?

LL YEAR 1--2021: 2-10// 1-8 in the Big 12; Barely beat FCS 7-5 South Dakota and beat a crappy 5-7 Texas
GS YEAR 1--2020--3-6///3-6 with 3 B1G wins. Hands down; Greg wins;

LL YEAR 2 -2022: 4-0; Crappy Tennessee Tech; mediocre 2-2 WVU; Crappy 2-2 Houston and Duke Woopty Doo
GS YEAR 2- 5-8//2-7 and a bowl game

There is plenty of room for debate who's doing better.
Leipold inherited a QB on the roster, Jalon Daniels who played in 8 games before Leipold took the job; and in 2021, he got a lot of reps in four games. He's a solid, dual threat QB.
This season, Rutgers does not have a QB on the roster starting in the first 4 games with significant game experience. So that's a huge advantage, and the only win that is impressive is the one against Duke. Hardly anything to get excited about. Let's see how the season plays out before declaring winners or who is doing better "without debate."

Are some of you people Rutgers fans?

huge Rutgers fan. Season ticket holder since 2006 (year I graduated).

Leipold is ahead of Schiano in year 2. No question

One thing is undeniable, Leipold has shown that you don't need 5 years to put together a functioning offense. They're averaging 49 points per game in his second year.

Hey, that did make me chuckle. I’ll give you a like for that.
I don't know why I don't have you on ignore, but I find your routine inanely and annoyingly endearing if that makes sense. But you outed yourself with the Penn State post. It's OK to admit you are a PSU fan. It makes sense now.

I still don’t think it’s a completely fair comparison as we were in a league of our own as the worst power 5 program in the nation when KU waxed us 55-14 back in 2018. Also will always take longer to rebuild a garbage program in a conference like B1G than it is in Big 12. If we’re gonna insist on comparing, it should be w/ Stoops’ rebuild at UK (who weren’t in as bad a starting spot as RU either, but also had the brutal conference play)

Pre-Stoops: 2-10 (0-8 SEC) in past year
Year 1: 2-10 (0-8)
Year 2: 5-7 (2-6)
Year 3: 5-7 (2-6)
Year 4: 7-6 (4-4)
Year 5: 7-6 (4-4)
Year 6: 10-3 (5-3) - this is when they kind of announced themselves and haven’t looked back.

Pre-Schiano: 3-21 (0-18 B1G) past 2 seasons
Year 1: 3-6 (3-6)
Year 2: 5-8 (2-7)
Year 3: 3-1 (0-1)

If we end up going 0-9 in conference play I’ll be a little concerned, but still fully on board. It was always going to be ugly and long after how far we fell.

I don't know why I don't have you on ignore, but I find your routine inanely and annoyingly endearing if that makes sense. But you outed yourself with the Penn State post. It's OK to admit you are a PSU fan. It makes sense now.
Wait, I thought I’m a Cuse fan.

Am I disgusted by the crimes and outraged by the PSU coverup ? 100%

But who’s still there that was involved ? No one. It’s a fine university just like Rutgers is. They have student, staff and faculty who should suffer no shame or scorn for what happened there. Should students never apply ? Should faculty all quit ?
In the end, justice was served.

The issue here and now is that many here can’t acknowledge anything good. They have the fantastic 40+hour cancer charity event. You have a problem with that ? And what’s so terrible about raising money for walk-ons ?

If Rutgers did the same things, they’d be great, right ? No one would throw shade on the Eli thing if he did it here. Not one person.

The truth is, the hate for PSU predates the Sandusky matter and it’s because our fans are jealous of the better program next door. Sandusky just added a lot more fuel to the ongoing fire.

Last edited:
Huge questions. We can respectfully disagree here.

we can respectfully disagree. sure.

Then I respectfully ask you …please don’t question my fandom if I have a different view than you on the state of the team vs other teams

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteBus
we can respectfully disagree. sure.

Then I respectfully ask you …please don’t question my fandom if I have a different view than you on the state of the team vs other teams
marc…you shouldn’t let it bother you.

marc…you shouldn’t let it bother you.

its Mike..but it’s not bothering me at all. Rutgers play bothers me, that’s it.

Sick of being an embarrassment in college football. That’s what bothers me, but very insignificant in the big view

its Mike..but it’s not bothering me at all. Rutgers play bothers me, that’s it.

Sick of being an embarrassment in college football. That’s what bothers me, but very insignificant in the big view
I will respectfully meet your request about questioning your fandom, but that is hard to do when you post "embarrassment in college football" to describe Rutgers. We are far from being an embarrassment. There was nothing embarrassing about the play on the field last night.

Our offense is ugly but let’s be clear about one thing — B1G is a different game than Big 12. The fact that Kansas is scoring points against teams that generally don’t play defense means almost nothing to me.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I don’t think Rutgers is an embarrassment. Instead I think we are bottom-half FBS and Schiano isn’t nearly talented enough to change that. It’s also a more difficult job than in most places (Big10 East) but that’s not an excuse. He still needs to be accountable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ouchmyknee
I will respectfully meet your request about questioning your fandom, but that is hard to do when you post "embarrassment in college football" to describe Rutgers. We are far from being an embarrassment. There was nothing embarrassing about the play on the field last night.

last night, sure.

sucks we were barely in the game vs a mediocre conference opponent, but agree last night wasn’t an embarrassment.

Rutgers has been an embarrassment. This summer on Conf realignment was all the rage again, we had fans and WRITERS! calling to kick out Rutgers from the Big Ten. That’s embarrassing. When we haven’t won a home conference game in 3 plus years? Embarrassing.

We obviously have two very different views on Rutgers football..and it’s future.

ADVERTISEMENT