ADVERTISEMENT

Schiano versus Leipold

Our offense is ugly but let’s be clear about one thing — B1G is a different game than Big 12. The fact that Kansas is scoring points against teams that generally don’t play defense means almost nothing to me.
What should matter to you is record and getting to bowl games, and I am pretty sure that means outscoring teams on the schedule at least half the time. Period.

Last edited:
What should matter to you is record and getting to bowl games, and I am pretty sure that means outscoring more teams on the schedule at least half the time. Period.

That’s fair. My comment was directed at someone praising Kansas for scoring. Sure, I like fun offenses, and ours is terrible, but you don’t build a team in the B1G east the same way you do in Big 12.

last night, sure.

sucks we were barely in the game vs a mediocre conference opponent, but agree last night wasn’t an embarrassment.

Rutgers has been an embarrassment. This summer on Conf realignment was all the rage again, we had fans and WRITERS! calling to kick out Rutgers from the Big Ten. That’s embarrassing. When we haven’t won a home conference game in 3 plus years? Embarrassing.

We obviously have two very different views on Rutgers football..and it’s future.
I pay no attention to stupid, clueless writers.
Only idiots would call for Rutgers to be kicked out. We earned our seat at the table and prove we belong.
Will agree that the home win against B1G opponents is embarrassing.

As for your last sentence, the future? The future is bright IMO, with tempered expectations that we are not going to win the B1G conference title every 3, or every 5 years. Maybe we will challenge once ever 8-10 years. Averaging 7-8 wins per season would be fine by mean, meaning we will have down (6-6 or worse) and up (9 or 10 win seasons) once every few years.

That’s fair. My comment was directed at someone praising Kansas for scoring. Sure, I like fun offenses, and ours is terrible, but you don’t build a team in the B1G east the same way you do in Big 12.
I know what you mean but I don’t necessarily agree that conferences always differ in team construction. Maryland is always more like Kansas and Texas Tech than Michigan State and Rutgers.

But that’s not important to Schiano’s assessment. Coaches need to outperform other coaches on the schedule and it can’t be an excuse that the schedule is too difficult. He must be judged on Big10 success, not how he might do in the Big12.

Reactions: drewbagel423
I pay no attention to stupid, clueless writers.
Only idiots would call for Rutgers to be kicked out. We earned our seat at the table and prove we belong.
Will agree that the home win against B1G opponents is embarrassing.

As for your last sentence, the future? The future is bright IMO, with tempered expectations that we are not going to win the B1G conference title every 3, or every 5 years. Maybe we will challenge once ever 8-10 years. Averaging 7-8 wins per season would be fine by mean, meaning we will have down (6-6 or worse) and up (9 or 10 win seasons) once every few years.

What have you seen this season that makes you think our future is bright? A promising youngster? Big time recruit?

Reactions: drewbagel423
Yes there is. On what time frame?

LL YEAR 1--2021: 2-10// 1-8 in the Big 12; Barely beat FCS 7-5 South Dakota and beat a crappy 5-7 Texas
GS YEAR 1--2020--3-6///3-6 with 3 B1G wins. Hands down; Greg wins;

LL YEAR 2 -2022: 4-0; Crappy Tennessee Tech; mediocre 2-2 WVU; Crappy 2-2 Houston and Duke Woopty Doo
GS YEAR 2- 5-8//2-7 and a bowl game

There is plenty of room for debate who's doing better.
Leipold inherited a QB on the roster, Jalon Daniels who played in 8 games before Leipold took the job; and in 2021, he got a lot of reps in four games. He's a solid, dual threat QB.
This season, Rutgers does not have a QB on the roster starting in the first 4 games with significant game experience. So that's a huge advantage, and the only win that is impressive is the one against Duke. Hardly anything to get excited about. Let's see how the season plays out before declaring winners or who is doing better "without debate."

Are some of you people Rutgers fans?

I don't feel like looking but believe someone said recruiting is very much in Greg's favor, too. Which was the biggest reason no one except those same 3 guys wanted Leipold here in the first place.

Reactions: Knight Shift
A former KU football player is a documentarian that does ESPN 30-for-30s, among other things. He was hired by KU to document year 2 of Leipold’s plan.

Here are 3 takeaways from Kansas football’s 14-11 win against Iowa State​

LAWRENCE — Kansas football’s 2022 season continued Saturday with a 14-11 win at home during Big 12 Conference play against Iowa State.

Kansas tops Iowa State for first time since 2014​

The Jayhawks are 5-0 for the first time since 2009. However, that’s not the only significant drought this win ended for head coach Lance Leipold's program. Leipold, in his second year at the helm, has also led Kansas to its first win over Iowa State since it topped the Cyclones in a 34-14 victory at home back in 2014.

Since that game almost a decade ago, the Jayhawks had struggled to even be competitive in this series. Kansas’ closest defeat against Iowa State was a 31-24 loss in 2016 at home, and every other loss was by 10 points or more. But that streak is over now.

Kansas’ defense gets into the backfield early and often, while Iowa State’s doesn’t appear to need to​

Kansas’ defense finished the game with five sacks and eight tackles for loss. Those sacks came from redshirt junior linebacker Craig Young, junior linebacker Taiwan Berryhill Jr., redshirt junior defensive end Lonnie Phelps Jr., super-senior defensive lineman Sam Burt (1.5) and junior defensive lineman Jereme Robinson (0.5). The success there meant while Iowa State could pass for nearly 300 yards, and at times move the ball with ease through the air, it couldn’t run the ball much and was one-dimensional.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...against-iowa-state/ar-AA12uBJq#interstitial=1

What’s left to say,Lance Leipold is an excellent coach and so is Greg. Teams progress at different rates and I still have confidence HCGS will get Rutgers to the next level. The team is getting better.

Think you're correct in this conclusion, both are probably above average but I'd actually give the nod to Leipold at this moment. One has to remember, however, Schiano took over a more depleted program and probably faces stiffer competition in the B10 East. Remember, Kansas waxed Ash-led Rutgers pretty bad. Not sure Kansas has to play juggernauts every year. We'll see how it all shakes out.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Leipold could be Frost’s successor at Nebraska. Former Nebraska assistant. Knows the Midwest. Knows how to coach on game day, knows how to pull together a roster. Fastest NCAA coach at any level to first 100 victories.

At this rate, Leipold will have his pick of offers, with Auburn, Wisconsin, and Nebraska being mentioned as possibilities.

Reactions: Steve91562
This whole string is just so stupid. Kansas hasn’t played anyone remotely like OSU yet.

Iowa State beat Iowa by 3 - those 2 teams are basically even. That’s the only point for comparison right now (not that comparison means anything anyway). Kansas won a nail biter game where everything bounced their way (multiple missed routine FGs by ISU). In our game, a 51 yarder bounced through for Iowa. We had 2 unfortunate sloppy turnovers taken to the house and lost the game. We’re playing a green QB who was expected to be 3rd string. Kansas is playing
the starting QB they prepped for all camp long. Greg even said in the presser they were trying to get Vedral in for some game reps but he’s still not 100% which is why he didn’t throw the football. It’s apples and oranges comparison.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

The bottom line is the next 2 teams we play are worse than anyone we’ve lost to so far this season. I’m not convinced Minny or Michigan State are necessarily better than Iowa either. Maryland and even PSU are better than Iowa, but they are nothing like OSU. When we get our defense healthy it should be good enough to keep us in most of these games. Only Michigan looks like an OSU type mismatch. It’s fine to be unhappy with us not having an explosive offense - but the game involves 2 sides of the ball, and our defense has improved 10 fold from what it was 3 years ago. Everyone needs to calm down and let the season play out before sounding the sirens.

Schiano was by far the best choice for this program a few years ago after one of the worst coaches I’ve ever seen. He is one of the few, if not only, people that was sure to be able to successfully navigate football at RU and in NJ. However, I was truly hoping that we would be getting an “improved” Schiano after his experiences in the NFL, OSU, etc. Instead, we got exactly the same person and coach. That was fine for the Big East a decade or so ago, but it’s yet to be seen in the B1G now.

Reactions: Jimpeg
Based on the last few weeks, Nebraska .may well retain the interim
I don't think so. Joseph will be retained though by the new coach for at least 1 year. IIRC that's in the contract.

As to other post about Wisconsin, they're having a tough time but I highly doubt they're making a change. Auburn isn't likely looking towards Leipold either. A Nebraska for sure could target him and maybe even a Colorado should they make a change. Don't know if he'd see Colorado as much better than Kansas despite their history.

Based on the last few weeks, Nebraska .may well retain the interim
Really?
Was it the 49-14 loss to Oklahoma, the bye week or the win over the hapless Hoosiers yesterday? Rutgers fans tend to celebrate the small victories of other teams and their coaches really soon, and pan the same for Rutgers.

Schiano was by far the best choice for this program a few years ago after one of the worst coaches I’ve ever seen. He is one of the few, if not only, people that was sure to be able to successfully navigate football at RU and in NJ. However, I was truly hoping that we would be getting an “improved” Schiano after his experiences in the NFL, OSU, etc. Instead, we got exactly the same person and coach. That was fine for the Big East a decade or so ago, but it’s yet to be seen in the B1G now.
Rome wasn’t built in a day and Greg cannot work the miracle that fast. The team is improving, we can see it. Most importantly even in last nights lopsided score, Rutgers never stopped chopping and Schianos passion was refreshing. It gives me hope.

From a recent article …

“Leipold's ability to bring in quality players has impressed.”

Really?
Was it the 49-14 loss to Oklahoma, the bye week or the win over the hapless Hoosiers yesterday? Rutgers fans tend to celebrate the small victories of other teams and their coaches really soon, and pan the same for Rutgers.

And when did I pan the same for Rutgers?

And when did I pan the same for Rutgers?
I wasn't referring to you specifically, and I did not intend to offend you. I mean the legions of message board geniuses here. Like the guy who laughed at Simon when he had the ball stripped from him. But not a word on the TD pass to Ryan or the even better long pass later in the game. Some of our fans get what they deserve.

Schiano haters: Greg is only putting up 22, 16, and 10 2x! Outrageous!

Leipold puts up 14 points: Leipold is a HERO! And how about GS against WVU?!

You can think Leipold is a much better coach without being a Schiano hater..

A large number of Rutgers fans has to be the only people on earth that do t think Leipold is doing a >>>> job than Greg.

Reactions: brgRC90
To clarify: I doubt anyone hates Schiano. Some, myself included, hate that he’s the coach. There’s a difference.

Reactions: mikemarc1

I won't speak for others but pretty sure I've never written Leipold's name.
Concerned with our own team and not how others are doing.

I can write up a "Schiano Lovers" response though if you want.
"USF was #2.....something about recruiting rankings....Temple defense is legit...competing with Iowas offense is a win"

Reactions: Knight Shift
last night, sure.

sucks we were barely in the game vs a mediocre conference opponent, but agree last night wasn’t an embarrassment.

Rutgers has been an embarrassment. This summer on Conf realignment was all the rage again, we had fans and WRITERS! calling to kick out Rutgers from the Big Ten. That’s embarrassing. When we haven’t won a home conference game in 3 plus years? Embarrassing.

We obviously have two very different views on Rutgers football..and it’s future.
Rutgers is a legitimate big ten team, academically and sports wise, in everything, with the exception being the level of play in football

We have the opportunity to move up the pecking order in football by beating other suddenly weakening, big ten teams
So we shall see
If we can win two or three of the remaining big ten teams left we should not be criticized as much, and progress would be evident
If we lose those, progress not seen on the field yet

Rutgers is a legitimate big ten team, academically and sports wise, in everything, with the exception being the level of play in football

We have the opportunity to move up the pecking order in football by beating other suddenly weakening, big ten teams
So we shall see
If we can win two or three of the remaining big ten teams left we should not be criticized as much, and progress would be evident
If we lose those, progress not seen on the field yet

very fair.

I get it is not Madden football. That said imagine we played Kansas schedule and they played ours. Still feel the same way about Leipold?

To clarify: I doubt anyone hates Schiano. Some, myself included, hate that he’s the coach. There’s a difference.
Many of his fans seen to care more about Schiano than Rutgers football so they get very defensive about him. Any endorsement of another coach is a direct threat. But these are the people who insisted loudly that Schiano must be re-hired, and for 8 years, and that he was by far the best choice, and that he had learned things (even though he was mostly not a HC while he was away). With the team limping along in Year 3 they have more explaining to do than just saying critics are Syracuse fans or Schiano needs more time and money. He's like George McClellan, always demanding more troops and supplies and then only ever delivering mediocre results.

ADVERTISEMENT