ADVERTISEMENT

Scrimmages at Towson (10/20) and vs. Yale (10/27)

Gotta love how Duke can't be bothered with a scrimmage.

They had that whole Canadian tour thing and they play two scheduled exhibition games against some tomato can schools. You're allowed up to two scrimmages/exhibitions per year. I'm sure Duke can pack the place for an exhibition so they might as well do that and charge money for it.

Reactions: Local Shill
I would not be surprised if Duke schedules a charity scrimmage. You can do a third scrimmage if it's for charity. They could do it for Hurricane Florence relief and play someone like East Carolina in Charlotte

I would not be surprised if Duke schedules a charity scrimmage. You can do a third scrimmage if it's for charity. They could do it for Hurricane Florence relief and play someone like East Carolina in Charlotte

The NCAA hasn't been allowing them this year. Missouri and Kansas had theirs nixed and so did UNC/South Carolina.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Smh. That is a shame. Last year those scrimmages raised a lot of Hurricane Relief money. Just when you think the NCAA gets something right...

NCAA wouldn't know if something was right if it was right in front of them.
Went to the RU-St. John's charity game last year while I was in NJ

Years (and years) ago teams scheduled exhibition games against the likes of the Phillips 66ers and the Armed Forces All-Stars. Days of yore. Some of the other old-timers here could name some of the odd opponents that college teams played exhibition games against. Vaguely I remember some of them being foreign country (national) all-star teams, too.

Reactions: zebnatto
Yes, we played the China National team I think when Roy Hinson on the team. The game ended in a tie and no overtime was played as I don't think China wanted to continue. We also played Greece when Mark Peterson was on our team. I think we played Marathon Oil a few times as well.

Last edited:
Years (and years) ago teams scheduled exhibition games against the likes of the Phillips 66ers and the Armed Forces All-Stars. Days of yore. Some of the other old-timers here could name some of the odd opponents that college teams played exhibition games against. Vaguely I remember some of them being foreign country (national) all-star teams, too.
Athletes In Action seemed to play a ton of colleges in the 70s

I'm trying to remember if the Globetrotters played "serious" scrimmages against some teams.

I recall being at an exhibition game in the late 70s where James Bailey had a monster dunk over a giant center (7’5”?) from what I recall was a Russian national team.

Yes, we played the China National team I think when Roy Hinson on the team. The game ended in a tie and no overtime was played as I don't think China wanted to continue. We also played Greece when Mark Peterson was on our team. I think we played Marathon Oil a few times as well.

Knights1212

That was 78-79...and that game was in the garden

James Bailey senior year and you are correct...the game ended in a tie and they didn’t want to play overtime. China had a 7’9” guy on the team that barely could run.

I wouldn’t get too pumped up for scrimmage results... looks like Pike will clear bench so if we lose both no biggie. Bring on FDU!!

I love Michigan State @ Gonzaga (In Minneapolis) so its like an event for both teams, for a scrimmage....
The final four is in Minneapolis at U.S. Bank Stadium. Just a guess but they might be scrimmaging in that building as a way of preparing their kids for that shooting background, sounds, and feel of the building.

I wouldn’t get too pumped up for scrimmage results... looks like Pike will clear bench so if we lose both no biggie. Bring on FDU!!
It's not like in the past when our bench was a bunch of scrubs. We may be playing 11 or 12 players in quite a few games this year.
Baker, Doorson, Omoruyi, Doucoure, Carter, Johnson, McConnell, Mathis, Harper, Kiss, Thiam and maybe even Nathan.

Reactions: Scangg
Playing 11-12 players is not something you see even at the Dukes & KUs or The Novas. That would not be a god sign. In a scrimmage, that's another story, but during the season - Yikes!

Playing 11-12 players is not something you see even at the Dukes & KUs or The Novas. That would not be a god sign. In a scrimmage, that's another story, but during the season - Yikes!

Absolutely. If you’re going that deep every night it’s because your starting five lacks consistent impact players, and that’s not winning basketball. Depth is a luxury that pays off when the injury bug bites or in foul festival 2OT games.

Reactions: RUJMM78
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT