ADVERTISEMENT

SemiFinal Game Thread RU vs Iowa, 7:30pm, BTN TV

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Our Woman's BB team has now made it to the Semi Finals ! 22-8 now, 42 wins so far the last 2 seasons. For some reason the Trolls who wanted a new coach seem to have disappeared .. What a shock.

Anyway, RU has it's hands full tonight with 2 seed Iowa who is led by Superstar Megan Gustafsenn, a big, talented, Center who plays with poise and grit. I don't think RU gets past Iowa tonight, the matchup just isn't a good one, but we are on a 4 game run, and the pressing defense has made most teams wilt by the 4th quarter . We got a puncher's chance !

RU gets a lot of offense out of F Stasha Carey, and G Arella Giurantes, points also come from T Mack, Cherise Wilson, Sierra Calhoun a bit as well as Nola Peleg-Pelc. Defensive contributions also from Victoria Harris, Maiella Gilles and Jordan Wallace. This truly is a 10 deep team , w everyone getting significant minutes to keep the legs fresh for constant pressing !

Tonight's game should start around 7:30 on BTN TV, 20 min after the first semi between Maryland and Michigan , which starts at 5pm.

Big question is if we can defend without fouling as much. Iowa/Rutgers matchups over the last several years have seen a large foul disparity in favor of the Hawkeyes. They usually get called for fewer fouls than their opponents, and we usually get called for more - putting that together can be problematic.

Hopefully we can work to deny Gustafson the ball so that we aren't caught fouling her on shots. Even so, it was a one possession game with 30 seconds left at their place - hopefully we can pull this out on a neutral court.

Reactions: Abro1975
Just took a look, and Gustafson has 145 made FTs this year (4.8/game) on 182 attempts, accounting for 17.4% of her points.

As comparison, the all time leader in single season FTs made in Rutgers history was Sue Wicks with 155 (on 191 attempts).

Our Woman's BB team has now made it to the Semi Finals ! 22-8 now, 42 wins so far the last 2 seasons. For some reason the Trolls who wanted a new coach seem to have disappeared .. What a shock.

Anyway, RU has it's hands full tonight with 2 seed Iowa who is led by Superstar Megan Gustafsenn, a big, talented, Center who plays with poise and grit. I don't think RU gets past Iowa tonight, the matchup just isn't a good one, but we are on a 4 game run, and the pressing defense has made most teams wilt by the 4th quarter . We got a puncher's chance !

RU gets a lot of offense out of F Stasha Carey, and G Arella Giurantes, points also come from T Mack, Cherise Wilson, Sierra Calhoun a bit as well as Nola Peleg-Pelc. Defensive contributions also from Victoria Harris, Maiella Gilles and Jordan Wallace. This truly is a 10 deep team , w everyone getting significant minutes to keep the legs fresh for constant pressing !

Tonight's game should start around 7:30 on BTN TV, 20 min after the first semi between Maryland and Michigan , which starts at 5pm.

What's a troll?

heck of a finish in this Maryland - Mich game. Maryland up by 1 w less than a minute to go.
Congrats UMD ... you pulled out the win.

RU is one of 3 teams left!!!

Good luck, Lady Knights!!!!!!!

Coach Eatman just said on the pregame show they will use a 'Box and 1' to defense Megan Gustafensen (sp?) and rotate a lot.

Not a sophisticate when it comes to Rutgers WBB—from what I’ve seen we don’t stop Gustafson, but live or die with the 55.

Nah, got it already and just wondering what is the difference between being troll and calling out some group out if the blue for being one.

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1]extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community(such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

I am at a Fleetwood Mac concert in AC beginning 8:15. Can someo e be a big help and give periodic score and time updates. Thank you

We missed so many shots from less than 4 feet that I don’t know if we can recover. Would be nice to show up in a semifinal.

Zippy doing freshman things .. on the breakaway instead of attacking gustafson and drawing a foul, stops and shoots low percentage shot for an air ball. Then runs the clock down to 3 seconds and passes it to a player facing away from the basket. Again, freshman things, so I can only complain a little

Can’t press if we don’t make shots. 1/7 from 3, 24% overall. Lucky to be down just 9 to be honest. Playing good enough D, but someone needs to score. Playing loose is good but we aren’t focused around the rim right now. Easily 6 or 7 missed layups.

Can't make a shot, even layups
They hit threes
We have so many turnovers, many unforced
down 30-16 3:00 to go in half

Now 34-23 with Rutgers 9 turnovers

At the half 37-23
Gustofson with 10
They are shooting about 50%, us less than 1 out of three, 29%

Last edited:
Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Going too fast. You wanna be a cheetah but right now we’re a chicken running around with its head cut off

We don’t have a player playing PG. seems like zippy doesn’t know the set plays and cherise refuses to execute as well. Really need Arella to take control

Reactions: ScarletDave
Right now not ;looking so good.
But since the game isn't over and another half to play.
I'll not concede defeat and hope for a great 2nd half from Rutgers.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
Checked in after watching some of the wrestling ... expected a closer game ... team can come back ... haven’t seen it, but based on posts RU not playing well ... will check in later ... go Ladies!!!!

Rutgers losing 37 -23 at half time.The score could have been even worse because Gustafson must have missed at least 6 layups..When Rutgers plays poorly these factors are usually the cause,ie,foul prone defense,poor ball handling and simply horrendous shooting.

I am at a Fleetwood Mac concert in AC beginning 8:15. Can someo e be a big help and give periodic score and time updates. Thank you

RU shooting 28% vs. Iowa at 47 or 49%.
RU out rebounded by 7 or 8.

Press working but when you're not converting into points...risky.

Who's playing instead of Lindsey Buckingham?

Reactions: bac2therac
Hope Zipp and Mack make statements in the second half and Arella makes Iowa pay if they focus on them.
Carey needs to have a strong inside game forcing Gustafson out of her game and Harris or Wallace, maybe both, need to offset what Stewart is doing on the boards.

But win-lose or draw ( not likely [winking]) this team , no matter what, should be complemented for the way this season went and hopefully a NCAA invite.

JW is a huge liability. She should not get any minutes unless Carey and Harris get into foul trouble.

The offense is stagnant. I hate that we pass the ball around the perimeter for 30 seconds and then look for a shot. Arella needs to get the ball when she's on the elbows. She can make that 14 footer all day long.

Lastly: stop missing the bunnies. I counted 6 in the first half. That's 12 points at least off the scoreboard.

The monemtum changed when Arella allegedly stepped out of bounds after we stole a pass down 6 with momentum and the ball to down 13 in 43 seconds..

Reactions: ScarletDave
Hope Zipp and Mack make statements in the second half and Arella makes Iowa pay if they focus on them.
Carey needs to have a strong inside game forcing Gustafson out of her game and Harris or Wallace, maybe both, need to offset what Stewart is doing on the boards.

But win-lose or draw ( not likely [winking]) this team , no matter what, should be complemented for the way this season went and hopefully a NCAA invite.
I think Rutgers will be a 8th seed and play in the group with Uconn .

So start the second half missing an uncontested layup.

Gustofson comes down and forcefully backs into defender but when Harris pushes back a foul is called. Call it the Shaq O'Neal offense. Hate it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT