ADVERTISEMENT

Severe Rutgers bashing going on at 101.5 right now

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:
Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:
Originally posted by Dr. Potato:
This is not the first time that they have twisted their news headlines to make a story fit a negative narrative towards Rutgers
What did they say that isn't true?
They said Dr. Potato is a douche.. oh wait..

Meanwhile.. who paid for the State Loans and Bonds. It was projected at roughly $45M.. cost $53M and that would be something over $70M today.

CVS's bold ask of a new arena and practice facility for the flagship STATE UNIVERSITY of NEW JERSEY is prefectly reasonable.

It is the politicians and media whores desire to pretend that are fiscally responsible while kicking Rutgers to the curb.. that is the unreasonable position here.

This post was edited on 3/23 12:13 PM by GoodOl'Rutgers
I am sure that was under the premise of economic development for the city of Trenton. A practice facility is for the benefit of 24 college students getting a free education.
And a successful basketball program is an economic engine as well. These are revenue sports. A new arena could definitely be multipurpose and situated in new Brunswick and act as a conventional hall and so on for Middlesex County like the Trenton facility is for Mercer County.

RU WBB coach is one of the highest paid. RU also has one of the lowest attendance numbers. Not in the top 50.

It's not a good investment.
For mens basketball it is a good investment. Womens bball would benefit as well, even if they wouldn't be turning profit any time soon.

All the pro-new-arena folk want is the ability to issue bonds and/or get a state loan. Other 50M-100M developments get this nod from the state government. Rutgers should as well. the Trenton arena got it. Rutgers deserves it.

Originally posted by derleider:

Originally posted by Greene Rice FIG:

Originally posted by GoodOl'Rutgers:

This is not the first time that they have twisted their news headlines to make a story fit a negative narrative towards Rutgers
They said Dr. Potato is a douche.. oh wait..

Meanwhile.. who paid for the State Loans and Bonds. It was projected at roughly $45M.. cost $53M and that would be something over $70M today.

CVS's bold ask of a new arena and practice facility for the flagship STATE UNIVERSITY of NEW JERSEY is prefectly reasonable.

It is the politicians and media whores desire to pretend that are fiscally responsible while kicking Rutgers to the curb.. that is the unreasonable position here.

This post was edited on 3/23 12:13 PM by GoodOl'Rutgers
I am sure that was under the premise of economic development for the city of Trenton. A practice facility is for the benefit of 24 college students getting a free education.
The bigger point is that Rutgers can't move. If Rutgers doesn't get new facilities, it will still run out a team. I don't think thats true for Trenton. Those minor league teams could move almost anywhere in the US, and the concerts and shows it hosts could take place in Philly or NY or Easton or whatever.

Now we could argue about whether building an arena is ever worth it (if its truly worthwhile let the private market handle it - maybe with an assist for building infrastructure to handle the crowds, or with land acquisition.). But that's not the argument here.
They did and they have.

The line up there for the most part is very weak IMO.

Originally posted by Abro1975:
Get satellite radio and never have to listen to 101.5/ Fan/Fracesca again. It's like going from Black & White non cable TV to a big screen HD smart TV. AM/FM is the dark ages of radio.
Dark ages is right.

And who cares anyway... how many poeple in NJ even hear this. The majority of the population of NJ (in NE NJ) likely dont even get this station. My wife listens to 101.5 (I dont) and I am happy every time we are travelling on Rt 80 eastbound and the station starts to fade away somewhere around Denville in Morris county. East of there it is tough to get the signal. So I would think all those areas East and NE of that point (the bulk of the NJ population ) dont even get the station.

They are pandering ignorant rubes who object to any use of their tax money - real, perceived, or even imagined. It's just to get people fired up and pretend they are on their side. Silly stuff.

And I thought "Dr." meant "learned one"
but obviously that is not true.

Was jumping through the dials this morning to catch some of this nonsense. Growing up in NY and moving to NJ sometime ago to attend RU, I still don't understand the NJ "eat our own" mantra, the lack of pride in our University is disturbing.

Why don't they talk about the millions the 76ers are getting to build a facility in Camden or the failure that is Xanadu?

If they tried this with any P5 school the governor would be calling to yank them off the air.

Until you come to grips with the fact that paying a high dollar WBB coach hasn't and won't help the athletic dept. We are doomed.

That extra money, even if it's only $500,000 salary a year. Should be spent on MBB. There is a chance to get a ROI there. Ticket sales donors, etc. What we have now is a disaster.

Then you have a better chance to get the new facilities.

Originally posted by bac2therac:

good post Roman...problem is RU does not do a good job in PR in getting this message out about what exactly the state pays for and doesn't. The NJ public always rallies around that SOOOOOO much of their money is going to Rutgers all the while much more is wasted elsewhere. I find it disappointing that the state pride in Rutgers is so low that the media feels RU is easy pickings and its very easy to inflame the average stupid jerseyan who will lash out at Rutgers for spending.

as for the accounting stuff...RU simply needs to change, I don't know why the do things like they do, who does it benefit
Exactly.
Has anyone ever emailed the AD and asked WHY WE DO THIS IF NO OTHER SCHOOL DOES?
WHY WHY WHY??
We need a real answer, it's not a rhetorical question!

Once again the morning host Jim Gearhart was spewing his misinformation again. Saying that CVS didn't get her 500,000 bonus for beating UConn and then was wondering what she would get if she won the National Championship... a million? He was hoping this isn't a yearly bonus in her contract. Doesn't he at least read the papers to see it was part of her cutback contact and a one time bonus?

Gearheart along with everyone else on 101.5 are on autopilot. Maybe 20 years ago radio personalities used to do some prep work for their shows, now its just show up with a subject and a soundbyte and take calls about in between 30 minutes of commercial. I wonder if there are those calling in who are happy and were actively rooting against her winning last night as if that 1/100000th of a penny that might have come out of their pocket would break the bank

It's hard to believe people really feel this way.
If they do, then it seems logical they should be against ALL college and High school sports because they cost the public $.
And if they feel that way, do you think any of those clowns WATCH college or High School sports? If they do watch (and I bet they root for the "big boys"), then they are hypocrites and New Jersey-hating fools.

Originally posted by RocktheRac:
Once again the morning host Jim Gearhart was spewing his misinformation again. Saying that CVS didn't get her 500,000 bonus for beating UConn and then was wondering what she would get if she won the National Championship... a million? He was hoping this isn't a yearly bonus in her contract. Doesn't he at least read the papers to see it was part of her cutback contact and a one time bonus?
I know he's not the most popular person around here but last night Christie was asked about this on "Ask the Governor". The host tried to make a leading comment on CVS's salary and Christie shot him down big time. To paraphrase the Gov he said this is something only the media is trying to make a big deal out of, it's what every college pays, and RU is now in the B1G with all the benefits that come along with that both athletic and academic.

A few thoughts:

1. Stringer's contract was absurd from the moment she signed it -- and we all know why she was brought here -- but she is not going anywhere, and, although I am not a huge fan of hers, I applaud her for changing her ways and not putting an unwatchable product on the floor after a few really rough years. No reason to whine about her salary, because it just doesn't matter.

2. The subsidy is more of an issue than some of you like to think, but it has ZERO, NADA, NOTHING to do with taxpayer dollars and is therefore NOT a subject of concern to anyone other than Rutgers students, faculty and staff. Again, it is a bigger deal than I read here -- the fact that its "because" of non-revenue sports is a spurious argument; it's that way at all of those schools with smaller subsidies, which, of course, is pretty much ALL of FBS except UNLV, the only school with a bigger subsidy and one where football does not make money. But because the subsidy only involves money that is ALREADY IN THE RUTGERS BUDGET ELSEWHERE, there is NO reason for anyone not associated with Rutgers to care about it and certainly no reason for an ill-informed windbag on a jerkwater radio station to connect it with taxpayers.

3. It will matter when Rutgers athletics breaks even and no longer requires that subsidy. It's called PR. Perhaps you've heard of it. Rutgers is notoriously poor at public relations; we all know that. Many New Jersey people who don't like Rutgers babble about wasting money when they have no clue what they are talking about. Rutgers needs to go on the offensive, whether it's with a "face" of the university popping up everywhere or a coordinated, well-thought-out ad campaign promoting what Rutgers is doing. A full-page ad once a month touting recent accomplishments would be a start. It wouldn't take much money to produce TV spots for local cable placement, each focusing on one area of achievement. (On those, I would not mention sports at all, unless someone makes Academic All-American or something similar.) You probably could make three or four commercials just on Rutgers Day -- and use one to promote it.

4. You can't win over people who don't use facts to support their arguments in the first place. So no, I do not think Rutgers supporters should call into 101.5. They wouldn't get anywhere, and as soon as they hung up you know what would happen.

5. Just win baby. Win, fill seats, and a whole lot of the non-fact-based "issues" will go away,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT