ADVERTISEMENT

Shock map: 2/3 of NJ counties in Big East country

Fat Koko

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2022
Duke basketball student manager, Andrew Weatherman, breaks down power conference college basketball geography.

In New Jersey,

7/21 counties closest to Rutgers
7/21 counties closest to Villanova
7/21 counties closest to Seton Hall

Worthless ... completely worthless. A "geographic" breakdown as to which CAMPUSES are "closest" is valueless.

When analyses are done about the FAN BASE, and the preferences for media viewership of SPORTS (mainly football and basketball), Rutgers DOMINATES the entire NYC DMA - which includes Westchester, Northern NJ (not even Central NJ), NYC and Western Connecticut (I have not seen breakdowns for individual sub-regions). And I mean DOMINATE. Notre Dame sports is actually the SECOND, but Rutgers' fan viewership is like 2.5X to 3X what ND viewership is in the NYC DMA (as defined by those who measure the media markets). And, actually, the combination of Michigan, Penn St., and Wisconsin, of grouped, are 3rd most popular in the NYC DMA (those 3 combined, just slightly behind Notre Dame) - which, if you think about it, is not hugely surprising given the tens of thousands of alumni in the NYC Metropolitan area those 4 Big Ten teams have.

People forget just how large the alumni bases of most Big Ten teams are. Here are some demographic specs:

1) The Big Ten schools (not even including the 4 Pac 12 additions) have over 800,000 CURRENT students, 40% MORE than the #2 sized student base of a competing conference: The SEC. The SEC absolutely added substantial numbers of current students - but so did the Big 10. The Pac 10/12 had actually been 4rd - no more, of course.

2) Big Ten teams almost ALL (maybe not Northwestern, the smallest school), each have over 450,000 alumni. Not all are dues paying members (RU trails in this area, for example). But just in sheer numbers the Big Ten probably has at least 12 of the top 20 alumni (non-dues paying) bases).

3) As of 6 years ago in the NYC Metropolitan area, RU leads, (of course), with 155,000 graduates. Penn State had 40,000. Maryland and Michigan were over 20,000 each. Wisconsin, Northwestern and Indiana each had over 10,000 alumni living the the NYC area. For perspective SHU has about 100,000 total alumni (perhaps 20% of RU's alumni) - do not know how many are in the NYC area.

There is much more available , I am sure ... but that is my quick glance comment.

This is closest by a straight line, but you’re not going to find an easier way from Sussex county NJ to NYC than to Rutgers campus

Oh yeah, one more thing: What matters is EYEBALLS (either cable, TV or streaming/digital).

With the addition of UCLA and USC, and to a lesser degree U Wash, the Big Ten now completely controls the following Media/DMA markets (with their percentage of the US market):

#1 - New York - 6.5%
#2 - Los Angeles - 4.8%
#3 - Chicago - 3.0%
#4 - Philadelphia - 2.6% (true, in hoops Villanova has some sway here, but in football it is all Penn St - even RU has presence)
#7 - DC/Hagerstown - 2.2%
#13 - Detroit - 1.6%
#14 - Seattle/Tacoma - 1.6%
#15 - Minneapolis - 1.5%
#19 - Cleveland/Dayton - 1.3%
#25 - Portland Or - 1.0%
#26 - Baltimore - 0.9%
#27 - Indianapolis - 0.9%
#32 - Columbus OH - 0.8%

And that does not include smaller defined markets like Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Dayton, Green Bay, Des Moines-Ames, Flint, Toledo, Madison WI, Decatur, Champaign .. all between 0.30% and 0.75% shares each.

The Big Ten has a total college sports media market lock in the 3 largest markets, total 14.3% of the total national market. as well as a total media market lock on the other 10 markets listed above total almost 12% ... which means just those listed markets (13 ) represent 26% of the USA media market share - not including the many smaller markets (which probably add up to another 10% - 12% of USA's media market share). I do not think ANY other conference even totals as much as 15% including ALL their markets.

Reactions: Fat Koko
I don't disagree with you. But it has to be close between RU and SHU in Essex County.

I don't know that their alums are especially concentrated there or that they have the most T shirt fans there. Does Middlesex have the most alums or t shirt fans for us? Not sure. I would guess the latter possibly, but i think RU is probably more popular in surrounding towns like Edison and the Brunswicks in a way they are not in the most populous places in Essex like Newark nor the suburbs like Millburn and Maplewood.

Reactions: LeapinLou
Oh yeah, one more thing: What matters is EYEBALLS (either cable, TV or streaming/digital).

With the addition of UCLA and USC, and to a lesser degree U Wash, the Big Ten now completely controls the following Media/DMA markets (with their percentage of the US market):

#1 - New York - 6.5%
#2 - Los Angeles - 4.8%
#3 - Chicago - 3.0%
#4 - Philadelphia - 2.6% (true, in hoops Villanova has some sway here, but in football it is all Penn St - even RU has presence)
#7 - DC/Hagerstown - 2.2%
#13 - Detroit - 1.6%
#14 - Seattle/Tacoma - 1.6%
#15 - Minneapolis - 1.5%
#19 - Cleveland/Dayton - 1.3%
#25 - Portland Or - 1.0%
#26 - Baltimore - 0.9%
#27 - Indianapolis - 0.9%
#32 - Columbus OH - 0.8%

And that does not include smaller defined markets like Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Dayton, Green Bay, Des Moines-Ames, Flint, Toledo, Madison WI, Decatur, Champaign .. all between 0.30% and 0.75% shares each.

The Big Ten has a total college sports media market lock in the 3 largest markets, total 14.3% of the total national market. as well as a total media market lock on the other 10 markets listed above total almost 12% ... which means just those listed markets (13 ) represent 26% of the USA media market share - not including the many smaller markets (which probably add up to another 10% - 12% of USA's media market share). I do not think ANY other conference even totals as much as 15% including ALL their markets.
Just as important is the B1G having the highest income areas vs the SEC. The key demographic that your big advertisers pay big money to advertise.

Last edited:
This is a pointless exercise. If the Sun Belt created "Middlesex College" and put it in the center of Middlesex county, they would then own that county?

What state's people watch more college football, Alabama or New Jersey?

Let us look at the facts.

Birmingham has more viewers than New York.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT